CAGcast #279: Reapers Gonna Reap

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Join us for even more spoiler-free Mass Effect 3 discussion, Anomaly: Warzone Earth talk, and much more!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]188[/podcast]
Download - 66 minutes, 40MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

GoDaddy
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Magic Orgasm - Phil Ruzzuto for the Money Store

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that the decline in quality of BioWare releases is best countered with only spending $20-$30 on their games.

You'll instantly go from hating Dragon Age II at $60 to actively enjoying Dragon Age II at $10.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I find that the decline in quality of BioWare releases is best countered with only spending $20-$30 on their games.

You'll instantly go from hating Dragon Age II at $60 to actively enjoying Dragon Age II at $10.[/QUOTE]

Bought it for $13.00 from Gamefly and it still sucked ass. Also here are some funny videos for Wombat, CheapyD and anyone who beat ME 3:

The post at the top of the page is correct, but the download link off the main page still points to cagcast278.mp3

The Jamaican guy, HAHAHA. C'mon Ship, finish ME3 this weekend! :)

I'm a bit disappointed a CAG emailed you guys about compiling a collection list. The CAG database is pretty great.

I was sure you were going to use this as the ourto:

outro

Cheapy is that bald guy your Dad?

I thought the theme song was saying "magic ogres" lol Anyway... it's stuck in my head... I even find myself dancing to it.

Define Irony....How about having the thought "I kinda just want to play some pinball, I don't need all this crap going on" while using the toilet in a public restroom. We all know you're not using the jon while playing the Vita so its safe to assume you're sending the Browns to the Superbowl.

Nice one Shipwreck ;-) . . . . See 31:06 mark for the reference

I think Cheapy might like RE 6 since it will have regular third-person shooter controls. But I'm sure he enjoyed the overtime last night - go Flyers!

untitled-19mmjwl.gif

Laughed as Wombat butchered my user name. Is it that hard? Bass-tones. like a bass guitar.

oh well. Pretty good show. Glad to hear feedback on Mass Effect 3. Can't wait for the spoiler discussion. Have you guys read up on the Indoctrination Theory? It's pretty interesting, and makes the ending tolerable. It's hard to believe it was intentional though. Check it out! *spoilers, obviously*

Indoctrination Theory

Also, I can't wait to play the Sour Patch Kids game. The narrator is Creed Bratton who plays Creed Bratton on the Office.
creed-bratton3.png

So is "Tai interrupts the Cagcast" going to be the new regular segment for the show?

#imadick

Guys, now that you have (hopefully) finished Mass Effect 3, you NEED to check out this video someone posted on YouTube. It explains an idea about the ending called in the Indoctrination Theory, that possibly gives clarity behind why the ending just didn't feel right. A LOT of the stuff this guy points out really seems to make sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

Great show, keep it up! I'm extremely far behind, having just started listening to them a couple months ago from the very beginning...I need a life...lol

There's something wrong with the podcast audio file on itunes. Stuck at 0:00 and unable to skip to specific portions of the show...

Great show. Can't wait for the ME3 spoiler cast. I had to get to the ending to see all the hubbub and make sure I could listen to the spoiler discussion fresh. And, I wanted to discuss it with my son who beat the game before me.

SHOW NOTES

0:00 - Thug Life
8:15 - Hunger Games
10:45 - Show Feedback
13:15 - ME3 discussion
23:00 - New Releases
23:15 - Phantom Breaker, Skullgirls
23:30 - Fez
27:00 - Sour Patch Kids
28:00 - Splatters
28:00 - Pinball Arcade
31:30 - Some Bejeweled ripoff on Vita
33:30 - Shopping news
44:22 - Anomaly Warzone Earth
48:00 - Resident Evil 6 Premium Edition
50:00 - Capcom Captivate; Lost Planet 3.
51:00 - Sony's big loss
55:00 - Cagbag
55:15 - Kaine's Arcade
57:00 - Skylander's Cloud Patrol
60:00 - Life's Too Short
61:15 - E3 plans, speculation
63:00 - Other Podcasts

Not sure what people are saying there are no games available on goozex. I'm showing 2,857 "complete" games as "Available Now", plenty more that are disc only/disc+manual.

Have to agree with Wombat on the loading in Mass Effect. Hell, all three Mass Effects. There was just soooo many of them. Part of why I hated going back to the Citadel. Load screen to get to the person asking where I want to go, load screen to go where I ask, run around, go to every other part of the ship with a load screen in between, board the normandy with one last load screen.

Hell, even the Dead Rising games weren't this bad with the load times....

[quote name='Bezerker']Not sure what people are saying there are no games available on goozex. I'm showing 2,857 "complete" games as "Available Now", plenty more that are disc only/disc+manual.[/QUOTE]

If you look at the actual games that are "Available Now," it's a plethora of older sports games and other reject titles. Even AR Card Games for the 3DS is considered a game. However, I did get accepted for Just Cause 2 and Fable III so the site is still active. Of course I haven't received any game yet so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. In the meantime I've got 5000 more points to burn through.

From what I've seen of the CAG Marketplace, it looks like something I'll definitely check out as an alternative to Goozex. I do think there needs to be some sort of time limit on listings, especially older games. Perhaps an automatic e-mail gets sent to the user after 100 days that the user must then confirm to keep the item listed. I think this could help get rid of the clutter that some games are bogged down with. I'm also not entirely sure what happens if a game trade goes sour. Is CAG even responsible?

Guys, I managed to listen to the entire episode in a single game of DOTA 2. I know DOTA 2 is excruciatingly long sometimes, but come on. I'm sure you can fill time talking about the Vita. Or whatever new game is out to rival Plumber Crack. Or more impressions about the new Fighting that must have come out recently.

The loading times in ME3 were the one thing they managed to get right in the PC port. Everything is pretty much done as lazily as possible and nothing's properly optimized, but at least they don't force you to sit through the load screen movies like they did in ME2. Half a second between levels in the Citadel. Makes backtracking to hear those little vignettes so much easier.

And I cried when I heard the cardboard arcade story on NPR while driving. I think that's probably less manly than doing so over a youtube video. But then again, there's probably less hipster douchiness to spoil the whole thing.

[quote name='Curufinwe']I think Cheapy might like RE 6 since it will have regular third-person shooter controls. But I'm sure he enjoyed the overtime last night - go Flyers!

untitled-19mmjwl.gif
[/QUOTE]

I thought the Flyers game was awesome and it was so awesome hearing Cheapy talk about the Flyers and have the same feeling we did. It was an awesome 3 for 3 night. I love all the talk of Mass Effect 3 and the ending. I didn't mind all the load times. Anything was better then #1, those loads took forever. Go Flyers!

I don't think anyone who lowered the combat difficulty in ME3 should complain about how the weapons and upgrades "don't make a difference".

Of course they don't when you can zip around like a biotic god without consequence cause the enemy bullets are bubble-wrapped.

No talk of Tribes: Ascend makes me wonder if Cheapy has ditched the idea of getting a gaming PC - because if you are getting one Cheapy, now is the time, that jank released yesterday. I need to get out of work now so I can go biathloning (skiing and shooting, of course).

Vicarious Visions did the Jedi Outcast port for Xbox, I can only love them for that.

You actually have to work pretty hard to get the worst ending in Mass effect 2 (have to kill all your crew members off) and if you do, you cannot import that save game into ME3 since
Shepherd dies
. For my 3rd playthrough of ME2 I planned out ahead of time how to kill off all but the bare minimum amount of crew members needed to create an importable ME3 save just to see how things play out differently in ME3.

[quote name='eataburger']I don't think anyone who lowered the combat difficulty in ME3 should complain about how the weapons and upgrades "don't make a difference".

Of course they don't when you can zip around like a biotic god without consequence cause the enemy bullets are bubble-wrapped.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing on the default difficulty and I've died either 2 or 3 times max. I'm 30 hours in and still using the same armor and sniper rifle that I started the game with. I did upgrade the rifle to Level 5 and attached whatever accessories to it I found. At least on the default difficulty the upgrades and need to switch armor and weapons seems trivial to me. I've never felt compelled to upgrade or switch anything, but there aren't enough fish and models in the game to blow all my money so I just end up spending it on stuff I don't care about or use.

Really enjoyed the podcast last night as I surrendered to a bubble bath. Although I don't appreciate the ME2 talk as I've only played the first (so far).

Congrats to Shipwreck on the HOF. **brag** like him, I'm in my HS Hall of Fame for Cross Country/ Track. Although too bad you stopped, it would help with your chili-ass.

but I have to say to CheapyD. Running doesn't ruin your knees. It's been shown in many studies that runners have healthier joints and less arthritis than the general population. (of course the odd injury can occur )

edit: I have to also say..I'm curious to what kind of times you ran and what events. Please share if you feel the need.

[quote name='shipwreck']I'm playing on the default difficulty and I've died either 2 or 3 times max. I'm 30 hours in and still using the same armor and sniper rifle that I started the game with. I did upgrade the rifle to Level 5 and attached whatever accessories to it I found. At least on the default difficulty the upgrades and need to switch armor and weapons seems trivial to me. I've never felt compelled to upgrade or switch anything, but there aren't enough fish and models in the game to blow all my money so I just end up spending it on stuff I don't care about or use.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough Shipwreck. I only remembered that Cheapy and Wombat both lowered the difficulty because they found it too hard - which makes their comments about weapons / upgrades kinda moot.

I mostly agree about not being compelled to switch weapons, but for me it's because it's hard to know what to upgrade to - I just keep putting it off.

Shout out to bickle, who keeps posting the SHOW NOTES every CAGcast!

This isn't aimed just at Wombat but he did mention embargo talk this CAGcast. Don't even mention that you can't talk about a game because of an embargo. Or instead of saying "I played a game but I can't saying anything because of embargo" say something like "Next CAGcast I've got a game to talk about". Emphasizing that you will talk about it in the next CAGcast and follow up. Don't say anything if the embargo will still be up during next CAGcast. 3 weeks+ just doesn't make a good connection, 1 week is pushing it. Personally embargoes are stupid, but teasing should be avoided.

Mass Effect promised a Trilogy that meant something of your choices, now I know it's not a movie and more complex, but I don't think they delivered on the wrap up. Imagine if The Lord of the Rings or Star Wars 4-6 had similar fates. You seriously don't think fans would have revolted? I'm sure they would have.

Great show albeit too short

Great show guys, but I too felt that it was too short. It seems as if you're pushing through it to shorten the time, but it upsets the natural flow and chemistry that we have all come to know and love.

[quote name='eataburger']Fair enough Shipwreck. I only remembered that Cheapy and Wombat both lowered the difficulty because they found it too hard - which makes their comments about weapons / upgrades kinda moot.

I mostly agree about not being compelled to switch weapons, but for me it's because it's hard to know what to upgrade to - I just keep putting it off.[/QUOTE]

I only changed the difficulty once during an early mission. I played 99% of the game on normal.

[quote name='guardian_owl']For my 3rd playthrough of ME2 I planned out ahead of time how to kill off all but the bare minimum amount of crew members needed to create an importable ME3 save just to see how things play out differently in ME3.[/QUOTE]

I'm impressed :D I tried to get the ending where
Shepard bites it
but I just couldn't make it happen. Killed off a bunch of crew though. I hadn't planned things out, and I think that's pretty much necessary. But honestly I don't even know where to begin planning it. My strategy was just to complete as fast as possible, piss off as many people as possible, and make bad squad decisions at the end.

Cheapy

Your if you're into real heroes and real human beings was hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing. It was even funnier that Wombat and Shipwreck could not get the joke.

Good Cagcast

[quote name='polly']So is "Tai interrupts the Cagcast" going to be the new regular segment for the show?

#imadick[/QUOTE]

That was really funny. It will only work if Wombat and Shippy keep making fun of Papa as he blows off his kid (here Tai, here's a bag of glass to play with, okay pal?).

Great episode. Cheapy's Javik voice is the greatest thing ever.

Good on ya Shipwreck for getting it out there: Mass Effect 3 can be super boring. I'm honestly surprised it scored so highly. Not a bad game at all, and there are some missions that are certainly memorable, but it's disappointing as a whole.

And Wombat, bad is the correct term when describing the Mass Effect 3 ending. Bad, terrible, nonsensical, awful. Take your pick. It's almost amazing how close BioWare got to the finish line before shitting it all up and falling on their faces.

Also Ship, I think you mentioned this before, but are you planning on playing Witcher 2 on 360? Lots of positive buzz out there about it being a fantastic port. I'm so hyped to finally play it. Struggled through the first Witcher on my laptop last year and it was amazing.

[quote name='Fjordson']Great episode. Cheapy's Javik voice is the greatest thing ever.

Good on ya Shipwreck for getting it out there: Mass Effect 3 can be super boring. I'm honestly surprised it scored so highly.[/QUOTE]

I'm not. Most of the press had their 9's and 10's ready before they even started playing the game. Here's one of the more obvious examples of a reviewer who blatantly ignores all of Mass Effect 3's faults.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/6/2847736/mass-effect-3-review

That review was ridiculously bad. "Hope in Mass Effect 3 is the sharp edge of a knife, and BioWare wields that implement like a surgeon." /barf

Hey guys, great show as usual. I can't wait for the Mass Effect 3 spoiler show next week. Just one thing, please Cheapy stop it with the Jamaican accent for Javik. The character is clearly speaking in an African accent and the voice actor (Ike Amadi) is from Nigeria. Here's his Voiceover Universe page as proof, http://www.voiceoveruniverse.com/profile/IkeAmadi. It's a small annoyance but Cheapy kept using it throughout the last 2 shows and will bring it up constantly next week. So Cheapy please stop, its like hearing someone pretend to be French by speaking in a Russian accent.

[quote name='mwmike11']Guys, now that you have (hopefully) finished Mass Effect 3, you NEED to check out this video someone posted on YouTube. It explains an idea about the ending called in the Indoctrination Theory, that possibly gives clarity behind why the ending just didn't feel right. A LOT of the stuff this guy points out really seems to make sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

Great show, keep it up! I'm extremely far behind, having just started listening to them a couple months ago from the very beginning...I need a life...lol[/QUOTE]
I second this. I came to post it as well.

Spoilerish:
I'm not one to buy into these sorts of conspiracy theories, but I found this extremely compelling. The ending that everyone assumes to be the 'evil' ending (RED) is, I think, actually the best ending. The entire series, the mission has been to kill the reapers and survive. But the game indoctrinates the player, manipulating us into choosing the ending that undermines the very mission that the player has been working for the whole series.

It's as if Bioware has, indeed, indoctrinated it's players on a meta-level. Most players spent the series making decisions, not based on the decision itself, but on whether it was blue or red. We made every choice in the name of getting the 'best ending'. But at the very end Bioware used this against the player. The only ending in which the reapers die and Shepard survives, is the one we are tricked into not choosing.

Not only does this theory explain the ending in a much more interesting and consistent way, but it represents truly incredible meta-trickery. Perhaps the ending really was the shallow nonsense that it appeared to be, but I really think there was more too it. I suppose we'll see when the DLC comes.

bread's done
Back