Photo
- - - - -

Vita - Resistance: Burning Skies - Out Now - $39.99

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

After reading the reviews I cancelled my order at GameStop. Hopefully gravity rush won't disappoint.

I was considering picking it up too but already have gravity rush paid off. Btw, as far as I know it got great reviews over in Japan. And the demo was great.

#32 jello44

jello44

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Even if I just chalk the 2 up to Sterling being Sterling, there are entirely too many other mediocre reviews floating around. That 5.5 from IGN is especially damning, to me.

At this point, I'm hoping for two things... that Gravity Rush doesn't suck, and that Sony has a great Vita showing at E3. Resistance and GR were really the two big post-launch window games, and to find out one of them is terrible isn't a great sign. Especially since, given the series AND it being the first FPS, it should have been a marquee title. I've enjoyed what I'm played on the Vita so far, but honestly... Sony isn't filling me with confidence here. I know it's shitty to pin that on one game, but still. Once we get past GR, Sony better announce a fucking amazing line-up at E3, or I'm really going to start questioning just why I spent all that money.

For what it's worth, some gave it good reviews, most gave it mixed and a couple gave it not so good.

http://www.metacriti.../critic-reviews

It's a shame, I was hoping this would be worth it.

72768.png

#33 jello44

jello44

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

Alright, I just finished the demo and it really isn't that bad. Resistance fans might enjoy it, but if you're in the market for a FPS on the system, you might want to pass.

Sound could use a little work, the guns sound... off. I was firing the Carbine and I swear it almost sounded like I was shooting a cap gun.

72768.png

#34 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

I never put much weight into reviews, as there have been plenty of games that flopped critically that I thoroughly enjoyed. Also, think of it this way: on Metacritic, 9 reviews were 7 and above, while 10 were 5 and above, with only 4 reviews below that. Majority still says it's a "good" game, and being a big fan of the series I'm sure that I'll at least like it. It's still an FPS on a portable, and while the Vita can do better than what we're used to, it'll probably never offer that AAA console experience(though it gets pretty darn close with other games IMO). 6 hour campaign with multiplayer is the golden standard for games like this, even for full-priced $60 console games. You'll get no complaints from me over that.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#35 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

Alright, I just finished the demo and it really isn't that bad. Resistance fans might enjoy it, but if you're in the market for a FPS on the system, you might want to pass.

Sound could use a little work, the guns sound... off. I was firing the Carbine and I swear it almost sounded like I was shooting a cap gun.

You did use headphones right? I'm sure the sounds would be much lower quality through the Vita speakers vs. headphones. Just asking, because I would be disappointed too if the sounds were that bad through headphones.

#36 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

Played the demo and it seemed decent enough. I'll probably rent it from Gamefly to play through the campaign.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#37 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

I never put much weight into reviews, as there have been plenty of games that flopped critically that I thoroughly enjoyed. Also, think of it this way: on Metacritic, 9 reviews were 7 and above, while 10 were 5 and above, with only 4 reviews below that. Majority still says it's a "good" game, and being a big fan of the series I'm sure that I'll at least like it. It's still an FPS on a portable, and while the Vita can do better than what we're used to, it'll probably never offer that AAA console experience(though it gets pretty darn close with other games IMO). 6 hour campaign with multiplayer is the golden standard for games like this, even for full-priced $60 console games. You'll get no complaints from me over that.

Yeah, but is a game that's sitting at a 60% rating worth $40?

#38 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Yeah, but is a game that's sitting at a 60% rating worth $40?

As always, that would depend on who you are and personal opinion. For me, finally getting a new game for my Vita for $38(gold box quick pick) with no tax & a decent amount of pre-order bonuses is an okay price to pay. Especially for an entry to a favorite series of mine.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#39 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

It's a worthy game. I'm not sure where all the hateful reviews are coming from. Oh wait it's from Sony.:roll:
It's enjoyable and challenging. Perhaps all the negative nellys don't like the lack of aim-bot?
The worse thing to me is the awful pixelation in the cutscenes. They must take up the majority of the HDD space. The game plays great IMHO though.
Posted Image
Posted Image
TV?
Spoiler

Spoiler

Fist bump?

#40 Rockinjs

Rockinjs

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yea I agree it is a good game I was hesitant after I heard about the bad reviews so I downloaded the demo before opening my copy I enjoyed it alot and it made me want to play thru the whole story. I downloaded gravity rush too Idk if it's just me and that's not my style of game but resistance is way better than it to me

#41 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

I played through to where you get the shotgun last night (not very far), and it played pretty good. I was kind of annoyed by all of the touch controls. I have small hands and changing grip just to throw grenades or tag people with the alt fire was kind of annoying. The gameplay was smooth but the graphics and the quality of the textures sucked. Typically, I'd forgive a handheld game for that kind of stuff- but after seeing what the system could do with Uncharted it just seems lazy or like a PSP port. The absolute worst thing about it was the really poorly compressed videos that show up everytime you find a new weapon. It's supposed to show you how to use the guns, but they are so fuzzy you can't really tell what's going on.
Spoiler

#42 Sonne

Sonne

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

That must have been the longest demo I have ever played. By the time I got to the overpass, I shuddered and thought "I must have accidentally bought it"...but then I remember multiplayer being grayed out.

I don't like the Bullseye or whatever it's called, seems cheap to me. I also didn't like how Chimera literally popped when killed, it reminded me of Area 51 at the arcade back in the day. There's some problems, but I still want to see it through...just not at $40. Have to be patient for once.

#43 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

How the mechanics/aiming feel compared to Unit 13? Sorry I would download the demo but I don't have space on my card.

#44 lewchief

lewchief

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Honestly it feels just like a console game. I only played the unit 13 demo but I thought that was kind of clunky.

#45 Akridsky

Akridsky

Flipping for dollars

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Honestly it feels just like a console game. I only played the unit 13 demo but I thought that was kind of clunky.

I'm not sure what was in the demo for Unit 13. I think the levels are pretty good. I think it's underrated. I've got to free up some space for the Resistance Demo.

#46 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

How the mechanics/aiming feel compared to Unit 13? Sorry I would download the demo but I don't have space on my card.

IIRC, Unit 13 has some aimbot in it. Resistance has none at all. It's up to you to aim and fire, so no quick-scoping etc. I like that aspect. If you've liked the previous Resistance games, this one won't disappoint.
Honestly, some of these reviewers praise iOS FPS games and I guarantee this plays better than any of those. I've read several reviews asking "what's new here/same old thing". They seem to be ignorant of the fact that they are playing a fully capable FPS on a PORTABLE SYSTEM WITH 2 THUMB STICKS. It's never been done before reviewers. That's what's new! Get a clue.
Posted Image
Posted Image
TV?
Spoiler

Spoiler

Fist bump?

#47 sir-fly

sir-fly

watch me like tv

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

IIRC, Unit 13 has some aimbot in it. Resistance has none at all. It's up to you to aim and fire, so no quick-scoping etc. I like that aspect. If you've liked the previous Resistance games, this one won't disappoint.
Honestly, some of these reviewers praise iOS FPS games and I guarantee this plays better than any of those. I've read several reviews asking "what's new here/same old thing". They seem to be ignorant of the fact that they are playing a fully capable FPS on a PORTABLE SYSTEM WITH 2 THUMB STICKS. It's never been done before reviewers. That's what's new! Get a clue.

yes the game is pretty fun but i have not tried the mp yet but the game is sweet
1 free month of gamefly http://gamefly.tellapal.com/a/clk/3BD7

#48 AndrewCP

AndrewCP

I'veGotBallsOfSteel!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

I've played through the first two missions and honestly I'm having a great time with it. Graphics are not that bad (even though I agree they could be better). I never listen to reviews anyway and from what I've played it feels like an 8/10 game. Then again I thought Duke Nukem was awesome and epic at times. Bought the collector's edition of that. I don't regret having paid full price for either of these games which got some pretty bad reviews.
Posted Image
Thanks to QiG for the kick-ass Duke Nukem Cocksmas Avatar

#49 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

I also didn't like how Chimera literally popped when killed, it reminded me of Area 51 at the arcade back in the day.

I haven't actually booted up my copy yet, but what you're describing there just sounds like Resistance. Glad to see there are more people in here that like it, I'm excited to start it later on tonight!

#50 clonesniper666

clonesniper666

Final Fantasy Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Has anyone been able play in any online matches yet?

So far loving the SP of the game but I really want to try the MP.

#51 Sonne

Sonne

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

I haven't actually booted up my copy yet, but what you're describing there just sounds like Resistance. Glad to see there are more people in here that like it, I'm excited to start it later on tonight!

Fair enough, I didn't know that. I haven't played Resistance, but that makes sense. I got my PS3 late last year, so I'm still catching up on Sony exclusives.

#52 twiceborn

twiceborn

SAY WHAT?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

Just played about an hour and I have to say I really like it. The controls are spot on, the graphics are a bit weak but they're not horrid, the sound is alright and the story is right in line with previous Resistance games.

One thing I noticed that a professional (dont exactly remember which one) reviewer got wrong was that you can definitely hear in which direction gunshots are coming from. Even with the inexpensive earbuds I was using, I was able to tell where enemy fire was coming from. Sure it's not as clear and dynamic as the console version, but it's noticeable.

Edited by twiceborn, 31 May 2012 - 12:59 AM.

"When I die, I want to go just like my grandpa, peacefully and in my sleep,... not kicking and screaming like all of his passengers."

Joker: It seems he finally took the stick out of his a#*, but now he wants to beat people to death with it.

#53 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

I just finished playing through the demo and actually enjoyed it. This is coming from someone that has never played Resistance and the number one game I'm playing right now is MW3. The controls were good.

Edit; also I thought the sound was good, I was using ipod earbuds. But still not sure if I wanna pay full price for it. Maybe when I can get it for 30.

#54 DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo

The Navy Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:55 AM

Posted by the developers

For those of you trying to connect online to Resistance: Burning Skies for multiplayer matches and experiencing problems, we apologize for the inconvenience. We recently discovered a bug in the multiplayer lobby, and are working as quickly as possible to resolve the issue. We expect it to be resolved in the near future, and will continue to keep you updated. Thank you for your patience, and again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Great forum for PS Vita information: www.psvitaforum.com

United States Navy

#55 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:41 AM

One thing I noticed that a professional (dont exactly remember which one) reviewer got wrong was that you can definitely hear in which direction gunshots are coming from. Even with the inexpensive earbuds I was using, I was able to tell where enemy fire was coming from. Sure it's not as clear and dynamic as the console version, but it's noticeable.

Does Greg Miller (IGN) get much right? lol

Seriously though, as someone who hasn't picked up his preorder yet, after reading what you guys have written I can't decide if I'll be that guy that is happy with the game because I want it to be good, or will be incredibly disappointed with the game because I want it to be good.

#56 Rockinjs

Rockinjs

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

well I came in expecting it to suck after the reviews and I was surprised it didn't like I was thinking just look at it like this if you don't like it with BB 100% trade in bonus I'm pretty sure you'll get close to the $40 back if not all of it

#57 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

played some more last night, and the textures aren't as bad as I indicated originally. I based my original complaint off of a store front sign you see as soon as you go outside for the first time. It was particularly muddied.
Spoiler

#58 Sonne

Sonne

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

Interesting thing happened when I went to cancel my preorder. They told me I couldn't because it was extra trade in credit due to promotion, and that all I could do was reserve another game. I've seen people on here get that credit back as cash, so is this a new policy? Can't really blame them for it, but it was unexpected.

I ended up keeping the money on Resistance, and will wait for a price drop before picking up.

#59 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

Interesting thing happened when I went to cancel my preorder. They told me I couldn't because it was extra trade in credit due to promotion, and that all I could do was reserve another game. I've seen people on here get that credit back as cash, so is this a new policy? Can't really blame them for it, but it was unexpected.

I ended up keeping the money on Resistance, and will wait for a price drop before picking up.

Wait did you fully pay it off or just put 5 down? If you paid it off you could buy it then just return it (without opening it).

#60 jello44

jello44

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

I ended up picking the game up anyway. I had about 40 in credit at Best Buy so I just said Fuck it.

I played the demo, enjoyed it, that was enough for me, that's about as far as I have gotten though.

I did try to play an online match and quickly got booted off and it relaunched the single player.