Vita - Resistance: Burning Skies - Out Now - $39.99

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:39 AM

Fair enough, I didn't know that. I haven't played Resistance, but that makes sense. I got my PS3 late last year, so I'm still catching up on Sony exclusives.

No problem. I tried it out last night and while this happens in the Resistance games, it is a bit more exaggerated in this game. I'm a little biased since I am a fan of the series, but you should definitely check out the ps3 trilogy... They can all be had on the cheap now too, so maybe jump on that while you wait on a price drop? Resistance is what got my into the FPS genre, I had always hated them up until that point.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

Mixer23.png

#62 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:38 AM

No problem. I tried it out last night and while this happens in the Resistance games, it is a bit more exaggerated in this game. I'm a little biased since I am a fan of the series, but you should definitely check out the ps3 trilogy... They can all be had on the cheap now too, so maybe jump on that while you wait on a price drop? Resistance is what got my into the FPS genre, I had always hated them up until that point.

Remember that multi story MP map that was very narrow on FoM? Playing with a full roster was insane. You couldn't shoot with out hitting someone on upper level. Halo 3 was boring in comparison IMO.

You guys are making me want it now. Still think I'll wait until $30 or better. Have too many games to play through right now.

#63 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:15 AM

Interesting read, SOME good points.
http://m.ign.com/art...tance-franchise

Edited by 6er, 02 June 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#64 Rockinjs

Rockinjs

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

Interesting read, some good points.
http://m.ign.com/art...tance-franchise

haven't read the article yet but it would be hard to believe anything besides R3 killed the franchise

edit: stopped reading the article after this comment" This culminated with Resistance 3, widely considered the best game in the franchise" best game in the franchise? then why was it the worst seller out of all the resistance titles. I've learned to take these reviews with a grain of salt reviews /opinions are just like assholes everybody has one

#65 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:26 AM

haven't read the article yet but it would be hard to believe anything besides R3 killed the franchise

I'm not saying he's right about the whole thing.

Oh he drools all over the ginormous awesomeness of R3, which I haven't played yet but heard is inferior to the others from regular gamers, but they are some good points scattered about the piece. Like why the heck pull resistance from Bend, who wanted to make the vita version, had proven themselves, and then force them to make Uncharted....although the answer is obvious: Uncharted sells better. All about the Benjamin's

#66 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:31 AM

I'm not saying he's right about the whole thing.

Oh he drools all over the ginormous awesomeness of R3, which I haven't played yet but heard is inferior to the others from regular gamers, but they are some good points scattered about the piece. Like why the heck pull resistance from Bend, who wanted to make the vita version, had proven themselves, and then force them to make Uncharted....although the answer is obvious: Uncharted sells better. All about the Benjamin's

There wasn't anything wrong with R3. It was a sold game, with good art direction, level design, and a nice, but sparse story. I think most people were frustrated because it stepped away from the story established in 1&2 (which was fine by me!)

What I liked about the first game was the "David and Goliath" / "Histories Mysteries" feeling. I liked the fake historical summary approach the first game had (until about halfway through when it disappeared). They threw that away in the 2nd game and went with a generic video game trope "super soldier" concept that only really redeemed itself with how they handled the end of the game. It stood on it's own based on the scale of some of it's bosses and the gameplay- but other series quickly caught up with that "epic boss" technology and it would have been unimpressive if they had continued down that path.

3 kind of reclaims that feeling of fighting an unwinnable war. That's why I enjoyed it.

The consistent element to all 3 console games is the focus on recreating the feeling of the era along with familiar locals across Europe and North America. It feels like the developer of the portables either failed to focus on that, or the processing power needed for the handheld games really keeps them from being able to achieve this.
Spoiler

#67 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:01 AM

FoM was my favorite also. Loved the story and the way it was told.

#68 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

So...after all this time I finally tried the demo and...not bad. Graphics are pretty good for the main character and cutscenes. Rest is...early PS3 essentially. I don't understand how people can compare this to the PSP based solely on background environment pieces. The guns look great as does the character. Controls were decent too. It took about 5-10 minutes to get use to the controls but they worked well enough. As far as the game goes, I've never been too interested in Resistance, so I'll likely wait for $10 to pick this up, but overall, I actually have renewed faith in Black Ops Declassified, especially if they were able to learn/improve on it compared to Burning Skies.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#69 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

Picked this up for $10 not too long ago. Utterly soulless and uninspired, but I'm still playing it. That has to count for something, I suppose.

It feels like Gameloft made a Resistance clone.
Posted Image

#70 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

Yea- it was pretty disappointing, but it does make a solid case for a working FPS and the touch controls. I think that developer just sucked.
Spoiler