The Cabin in the Woods

Bosamba

CAGiversary!
(No Spoilers)

Eh, just got back from seeing this movie. It's well made, I just wish I hadn't heard anything about it before I saw it. The little I read in Roger Ebert's review put together with the first 10 minutes and I pretty much figured out a majority of the plot. Now some events did throw me for a curve, but after watching as many horror movies as I have I anticipated when most of the jump-scares would take place.

One thing I wasn't expecting was the humor. If you laugh at the victims in horror movies and root for Jason, Freddy, Michael Myers, etc., you'll enjoy the movie even more.

Bottom line: See it at a discounted price, and completely avoid reading anything about this movie. Once you know the plot twists, your entertainment value will be diminished.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I read the wiki summary for this.... the "twist" is one of the silliest things I've read for a horror movie. Probably passing.[/QUOTE]

Why would you do something so stupid?

I will see this for Whedon alone. Normally I stay away from horror.

But if I sat through an episode of Dollhouse, I can sure as shit make it through a horror flick. Let's do this for Whedon.

Just read the plot summary with spoilers since I had no intention of watching it...

Now I definitely wont watch it. It sounds stupid as fuck.

I saw the Early Screening of this on Monday. I had no clue what it was about, and I was Pleasantly surprised. It is a VERY Fun movie to watch, that doesn't take itself seriously.

[quote name='Golden Idol']Why would you do something so stupid?[/QUOTE]

fuck you, seriously. I'm someone who likes to be spoiled. It doesn't generally affect my enjoyment.

[quote name='iamsobroke']I saw the Early Screening of this on Monday. I had no clue what it was about, and I was Pleasantly surprised. It is a VERY Fun movie to watch, that doesn't take itself seriously.[/QUOTE]

seems like it might be kinda like those final destination films where the story isnt what makes it fun to watch but rather the way people die. other than that it just stands out from all the other shit movies out and coming out.

The movie, twist or not, was genuinely entertaining. Perfect blend of comedy and horror with characters that are actually well-written despite the genre. So as for the twist. . .
If it's open to interpretation, am I the only one who thought the ancient ones are the audience? Given the person running the show was called the director and some of the dialogue during the movie from the scientists, I viewed it as every horror film follows the same formula and if you don't appease the audience they'll rise up in anger lol.

It's a bit of a stretch, but I'd hate to believe the twist was as simple as just a ritual. Still, the underlying critiques on the genre was brilliant.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']fuck you, seriously. I'm someone who likes to be spoiled. It doesn't generally affect my enjoyment.[/QUOTE]

And there are people who like to be spit on as well. Doesn't make it any less stupid.

Just got back from seeing it, and Jodou, I got the exact same feeling and I loved it. This movie isn't for everyone, but I saw the movie with someone who hates horror films, and she even loved it.

If you're reading summaries of this while thinking it's a traditional horror movie, then I can see where you'd be confused into thinking it sounds stupid. But the thing is, they made a movie version, and it's actually much more developed than that little summary you read. The "twist" isn't there to surprise you. It's there to open the genre up for inspection, and it tears apart the genre with its tongue firmly in cheek. It's clever, funny, and just a damn enjoyable ride.

In other words, see it before you declare it "stupid" because of some pithy plot summary.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']If you're reading summaries of this while thinking it's a traditional horror movie, then I can see where you'd be confused into thinking it sounds stupid. But the thing is, they made a movie version, and it's actually much more developed than that little summary you read. The "twist" isn't there to surprise you. It's there to open the genre up for inspection, and it tears apart the genre with its tongue firmly in cheek. It's clever, funny, and just a damn enjoyable ride.

In other words, see it before you declare it "stupid" because of some pithy plot summary.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen it yet but this backs up what I've heard before - which is why I stated my response to DoK. Execution can make all the difference in the world.

[quote name='Golden Idol']I haven't seen it yet but this backs up what I've heard before - which is why I stated my response to DoK. Execution can make all the difference in the world.[/QUOTE]

its funny youd rip this movie without seeing it but whine when i said 21 jump street was shit without seeing it...........interesting.................

Saw it a little bit ago. Great movie that was a lot off fun. Twist the horror genre into something else entirely with what i felt was a very creative story. The "twist" isn't really an M. night Shamalamadingdong at all but rather a subtle build that doesn't put itself in a position to define the story. Its almost a stretch to call it a twist because they drop pretty strong hints throughout the movie to the point that it shouldn't come as a surprise at all.

[quote name='Jodou']The movie, twist or not, was genuinely entertaining. Perfect blend of comedy and horror with characters that are actually well-written despite the genre. So as for the twist. . .
If it's open to interpretation, am I the only one who thought the ancient ones are the audience? Given the person running the show was called the director and some of the dialogue during the movie from the scientists, I viewed it as every horror film follows the same formula and if you don't appease the audience they'll rise up in anger lol.

It's a bit of a stretch, but I'd hate to believe the twist was as simple as just a ritual. Still, the underlying critiques on the genre was brilliant.
[/QUOTE]

Saw it last night and the twist didn't even seem like a twist. It was not like the movie built up to something and then went to left field with something else. They said it about half way into it and it stayed that way. I did however think the same as you at first.

I knew going in that this would be a different horror movie. I was told about 20 minutes before seeing it that it was also a comedy. I was expecting
a Truman Show type of horror movie and to some point that is what I got. I just didn't think it would be to make some Gods/Ancient Ones happy
. Hell the only twist I really think the movie had was
they let the Ancient Ones destroy the world
and I don't even know if I would call it a twist. I'm glad that
Marty lasted as long as he did

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Whedon, Topher, Fred/Dr. Saunders, and the yellow Jungle Fury Power Ranger? I'm in.[/QUOTE]

Looking at Lily was my favorite part of Jungle Fury. I'm in.

Saw it today...while walking in some guy was nice enough to hand a friend and I free passes (for any movie, not just that one). So I got to see it for free, but even if I had paid I still would have enjoyed it. Everything I saw going in basically suggested it was Evil Dead meets The Truman Show...while there is more to it than that, it seems accurate enough as a one-line synopsis.

Of the 5 of us, 4 liked it and the 1 didn't hate it or anything. It was difficult for us to get over Eric from Billy Madison being one of the bad guys but other than that, no complaints. Even the predictable parts were fun.

[quote name='lokizz']its funny youd rip this movie without seeing it but whine when i said 21 jump street was shit without seeing it...........interesting.................[/QUOTE]

I didn't rip on Cabin in the Woods. I was ripping on DoK for doing the same thing you did. I haven't seen Cabin in the Woods so I can't comment on it yet.

This movie was awesome. It's almost impossible to explain the movie without giving anything away, so I'll just say that you should see it.

Reading a plot summary isn't the same as watching a movie. Reading a plot summary of Evil Dead 2 would probably seem stupid too, doesn't stop that from being the best horror-comedy ever.

I saw it and really liked it. Its not buy it on blu ray good but its watch it again on Netflix streaming good.

And what's this twist folks keep talking about? Its pretty obvious what's going on, its only a matter of seeing who makes it to the end like most horror movies.

I have a feeling they did the ending that way so a sequel would be almost impossible to do. It would be hard for a movie that pokes fun of horror tropes to have a sequel and become a part of a trope as well (I'm looking at you Saw Part 7).

Saw this movie tonight and while I wasn't sure what to expect (didn't really hear much of it), it was mildly entertaining. Left with a general feeling of WTF, but it was decent overall. I will say though, I died laughing during
the motocross scene.

[quote name='JStryke']Saw this movie tonight and while I wasn't sure what to expect (didn't really hear much of it), it was mildly entertaining. Left with a general feeling of WTF, but it was decent overall. I will say though, I died laughing during
the motocross scene.
[/QUOTE]

That was funny. I thought the
Unicorn
was pretty funny since it was so out of place.

[quote name='JStryke']Saw this movie tonight and while I wasn't sure what to expect (didn't really hear much of it), it was mildly entertaining. Left with a general feeling of WTF, but it was decent overall. I will say though, I died laughing during
the motocross scene.
[/QUOTE]

I started laughing because I knew what was going to happen from what happened when they went through the tunnel. I was the only one laughing. I started to feel bad but then didn't care.

[quote name='whoknows']That was funny. I thought the
Unicorn
was pretty funny since it was so out of place.[/QUOTE]

I think at that part I just said out loud what the fuck.

[quote name='whoknows']That was funny. I thought the
Unicorn
I Was already enjoying the movie before that, but once that specifically happened I felt as if I had seen one of the greatest, most ridiculous thing in a movie ever. Though all in all I liked it alot. It felt like one of the more original horror movies I've seen in awhile even without the big scares.

I caught it today. I liked it but I didn't love it. The problem is I can't describe much about the movie without spoiling it for everyone.

All I can say is that to me its not really a movie to me- more of a concept.

The ending was really good though....

Just got back from seeing it. Freaking loved it! More of a comedy than a horror movie. Keeping an eye out for this one when the Blu ray rolls around.

Like I told a friend of mine, this movie is as much a horror movie as Shaun of the Dead and Tucker & Dale vs. Evil.

[quote name='sendme']Like I told a friend of mine, this movie is as much a horror movie as Shaun of the Dead and Tucker & Dale vs. Evil.[/QUOTE]
I Was thinking more along the lines of Cabin Fever if anything.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Was thinking more along the lines of Cabin Fever if anything.[/QUOTE]

But "Cabin Fever" was much more of a B-Movie. I can't really say it was as inventive or funny as "Tucker and Dale" or "Cabin in the Woods". I also wanted to add that the stoner character was actually one of my favorite characters this entire first third of this year in cinema. No depth but entertaining as all.

I have never seen Cabin Fever. I'm not a fan of the writer but I felt just like golden idol did about the stoner.

[quote name='whoknows']I thought the
Unicorn

That was hilarious.
The music in the background, while the guy was getting impaled, sold it.

[quote name='Kilraven']That was hilarious.
The music in the background, while the guy was getting impaled, sold it.
[/QUOTE]

My favorite scene is:
At the end when the Merman makes an appearance, eats that dudes face and blood comes out his back. Hilarious!!

[quote name='Xevious']My favorite scene is:
At the end when the Merman makes an appearance, eats that dudes face and blood comes out his back. Hilarious!!
[/QUOTE]

What made that payoff so awesomely was the setup in the early part of the movie
when the "monster lotto" was occurring and he wanted mermen so badly, to which the other guy explained how messy the cleanup was. Then you see the merman kill, and you go "oooooooooooh, that's why!" :lol:

[quote name='shieryda']This is why I go to movies, like, once a year. Netflix FTW.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too, but the regular tickets here are like $10.75, which is still significantly cheaper. They were $9 or so in Ohio. We've always gone to the matinee since moving here since it's "only" $8.75. This is less than 10 miles north of Boston. I think Boston is more expensive but still, damn.

We do have a theater down the road that shows second-run films for $5, I think. I haven't been yet, but always wanted to buy the theater before someone else snatched it up, remodeled and reopened it.

There is another cheap theater not too far away that closed for remodeling, too. I think they also applied for a liquor license...

By the way, what did everyone who saw "Cabin" think of the new trailer for "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter"? I cannot freaking wait to see that movie.

I liked it for Bradley Whitford. It made me realize that there's a whole host of actors out there who probably fit Whedon-esque dialogue a lot better than Whedon's regulars (and that's not a slam on the regulars, just that the writing fits Whitford like a glove).

Who knows, maybe JW had nothing to do with writing the exchanges. In which case I guess I'm just saying that I like Bradley Whitford. The writing, at least with the scenes with Whitford and the other old dude I've seen in lots of films but can't identify, felt like Joss though: natural and kind of willfully oblivious to context in how unforced it is.

Also, not that the movie isn't fun, but for those who are worried about being spoiled: it's nothing to worry about. If you get spoiled, the movie won't be ruined much, if at all. There's not a twist, really, as much as there is a big joke, and the film wants you to be in on the joke from the very start. That's what is important: the joke. Not who lives or who dies or who the killer is.

[quote name='whoknows']That's pretty expensive. Movies here are always $6.75 before 6 and like...$8 after.

There's also a $2 theater here.[/QUOTE]

Tickets are $10.50 here, except on Tuesday, which most of the movies playing are $5.

bread's done
Back