Darksiders (PS3, 360) $9.99 + Free shipping at Best Buy

Is this the first in a game series or a sequel to some other game?

Just wondering if I pick it up if I'll be lost with the background story from a previous title.

[quote name='Blaster man']*waits for obligatory bitch fest related to stickied best buy thread*[/QUOTE]

Well it seems like that thread is just for in-store deals.

This is both I guess.

Won't bother me if this gets deleted or merged.

[quote name='Raccoon2117']Is this the first in a game series or a sequel to some other game?

Just wondering if I pick it up if I'll be lost with the background story from a previous title.[/QUOTE]

I think its the 1st game...the sequel comes out in a month I think.

[quote name='Tdog987']I think its the 1st game...the sequel comes out in a month I think.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I realized I was thinking of Dark Souls.

[quote name='Raccoon2117']Is this the first in a game series or a sequel to some other game?

Just wondering if I pick it up if I'll be lost with the background story from a previous title.[/QUOTE]
This is the first in a series of four, the second is scheduled to come out June 29th but there is speculation that may get pushed back.

This is the first in the series. The next was to be released towards the end of June but one of the execs at THQ recently told the press that it may be delayed because they don't want to release it until it's "perfect". From the interviews I've seen of the second, the developers look pretty excited about it - in a genuine way. One claimed that there are 4 or 5 zones, each as big as the entire first game, random loot drops, towns, npcs, and other stuff they wanted in the first but didn't have time for. I never played either but got the first today as I've been thinking about buying it since I saw those interviews Bout the second one.

I don't think they believe they can afford to release a bad or buggy game because of the problems THQ is having.

Thanks OP, picked up ps3 copy. My local ad said only 360 was $9.99 with PS3 at $19.99 so it was good to see it also on sale.

My best buy copy I got for 4.99 was charged and still is on back order...not cancelled yet but idk...they took a month to get me my copy of Vanquish but I didn't mind...the joys of having an endless backlog. Thanks Cheapassgamer.com *gives thumbs up*

[quote name='The Dude 419']This is the first in a series of four, the second is scheduled to come out June 29th but there is speculation that may get pushed back.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on there being four... THQ is in pretty bad shape, and according to various sources, may not be around in the next year or so.

thq is only the publisher, not the dev. darksiders is developed by joe madureira's studio, Vigil games. if darksiders 2 is successful, it could easily be picked up by another publisher; likely wb or ea.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']I wouldn't count on there being four... THQ is in pretty bad shape, and according to various sources, may not be around in the next year or so.[/QUOTE]

Darksiders is above average game. It sort of rips off Legend of Zelda in some aspects.

There are some issues like the control scheme is pretty complex. Other than that, you could do worse.

Does anyone know which is best? In tempted to pick up the PC version when it's $5 again, but I'm not sure if it's a decent port.

[quote name='TooPoor']Somehow misread the title as Darkness, then thought holy batman we are going to get this game for free.[/QUOTE]

That's actually an increase for The Darkness.

[quote name='confoosious']Where's my $5.50 copy?[/QUOTE]

That's what I was just thinking! I love how the copy I ordered for $5.50 is still on 'Backorder' but they seem to be selling them just fine for $9.99.

[quote name='technicalstylez']thq is only the publisher, not the dev. darksiders is developed by joe madureira's studio, Vigil games. if darksiders 2 is successful, it could easily be picked up by another publisher; likely wb or ea.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. Vigil is the development studio but THQ OWNS them. That's THQ's studio. THQ is in bad shape right now. They need Darksiders 2 to sell a lot to fund their operations through the holidays.

[quote name='The Dude 419']This is the first in a series of four, the second is scheduled to come out June 29th but there is speculation that may get pushed back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's a better chance of us seeing them in person than seeing the Four Horsemen in all 4 Darksiders installments.

I'm wondering if I should re-order this for $9.99 in case they decide to cancel my $5.50 "pre-order". Based on history, are they definitely going to fulfill the $5.50 orders when they begin shipping the $10 offerings?

Great game. One of the few titles I pre-ordered at Gamestop due to the comic/art book it came with. Huge Joe Mad fan. Also if not mentioned already used games can be shipped free to store.

[quote name='technicalstylez']thq is only the publisher, not the dev. darksiders is developed by joe madureira's studio, Vigil games. if darksiders 2 is successful, it could easily be picked up by another publisher; likely wb or ea.[/QUOTE]

Preferably WB if it were to happen, that way we might get an animated series on Blu-Ray too.

pretty sure dev studios can be bought by other publishers :roll:

[quote name='Blaster man']Wrong. Vigil is the development studio but THQ OWNS them. That's THQ's studio. THQ is in bad shape right now. They need Darksiders 2 to sell a lot to fund their operations through the holidays.[/QUOTE]

DX I got a huge backlog already plus I'm thinking this will probably go the route of ff13 and be bundled free with the sequel in the coming months.

[quote name='UnlockPotential']DX I got a huge backlog already plus I'm thinking this will probably go the route of ff13 and be bundled free with the sequel in the coming months.[/QUOTE]

Most likely if this happens it will happen on THQ webpage. First one came w/ unannounced bonus, which turned out to be a free copy of Red Faction Guerilla from website (barcode had hole punched in it so you could not return to stores)

[quote name='technicalstylez']pretty sure dev studios can be bought by other publishers :roll:[/QUOTE]

It's a hairy situation. If say, Sony closes closes Naughty Dog. They may or may not be able to go and use the studio name, intellectual properties etc. unless stipulated in contract. Hopefully the second does well and this contines. Thq has mostly just had a string of bad luck with homefront and red faction:Armageddon. Got some big titles coming that should produce.

the udraw tablets/software hurt them big time.

[quote name='ijustw1n']It's a hairy situation. If say, Sony closes closes Naughty Dog. They may or may not be able to go and use the studio name, intellectual properties etc. unless stipulated in contract. Hopefully the second does well and this contines. Thq has mostly just had a string of bad luck with homefront and red faction:Armageddon. Got some big titles coming that should produce.[/QUOTE]

Finished this recently on the PS3, one of the 10 best of this gen imo. If it weren't so fresh in my mind I'd pick it up and play it again on the 360 for the achievements. Someday.

[quote name='ijustw1n']It's a hairy situation. If say, Sony closes closes Naughty Dog. They may or may not be able to go and use the studio name, intellectual properties etc. unless stipulated in contract. Hopefully the second does well and this contines. Thq has mostly just had a string of bad luck with homefront and red faction:Armageddon. Got some big titles coming that should produce.[/QUOTE]

Sort of like the situation with Activision and Respawn Entertainment (former owners of Infinity Ward)

[quote name='technicalstylez']pretty sure dev studios can be bought by other publishers :roll:[/QUOTE]

That's true but THQ would have to sell it to another company and that will not happen. If the game flops, no company will buy them. If the game is a hit then they will not sell them since they need the revenue.

Had to resist this one. I just got rid of a bunch of games in my lowball, and I already have 3 games sitting here unopened since last week. Can we form some sort of group counseling? LOL

Since my $5.50 order from a couple weeks back seems perpetually backordered, I ordered a $9.99 copy for in-store pickup. Let's see if I get the email saying it's ready.

I might take a printout of the $5.50 copy to see if they'll price adjust. Anyone have experience getting this accomplished?

bread's done
Back