Any ways to get out of speeding ticket?

Dr.Zoidberg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So on my way to work this morning on a major highway (I-85) for those in GA, when I start to get off at my exit, let me explain too that this is not a normal exit, it pretty much exits off onto 3 diff roads. 85 speed limit is 65 and the side road/exit is 55. So I'm on 85 going with traffic at 70 or so mph and start to get off at my exit and bam, less than two hundred feet on the right hand side, a motorcycle cop is sitting there and pointed at me to pull over. So I pull over and he just asks for my license and says I was doing 75 in a 55 and I told him "no way" and he just writes the ticket and is on his way. If you see the map below and look up near the top where it says 85 and 109, that's the lane I was moving into. There are three (heck, may be four) exits on that side road and mine is the second so I know to slow down since I've been going that road for over 5 years. So do I go to court and try to explain to the judge that there is no way the cop got me doing 75 in a 55 since I wasn't even in the 55 zone when he popped me. Sorry, this was longer than I expected. Got the ticket, was on my way to the bank and lunch and boom, flat tire, had to change it while it lightly rained. Didn't even go back to work..lol. Knew karma was out to get me. Thx for the rant.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...sb&biw=1280&bih=854&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il

I don't know, but I've always had luck by going to court and pleading guilty and not making excuses. Just plead guilty and that's it. I still get the fine, but it's usually reduced, and they take the points away via "probation before judgement". The points are what matter most. The idea is they'll take the points away, but if you get another ticket during the probation period, then you get those points, plus any points from the new ticket. So, like, don't get caught again. LOL. Mind you this only works if you don't have any tickets already on your record. Also, I don't know for sure if they have this in other states. I'm in MD.

In your case, if the ticket really is in error then maybe you've got something to go on. I don't really know for sure. But if you are actually guilty, this will work at least it does in MD.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't know, but I've always had luck by going to court and pleading guilty and not making excuses. Just plead guilty and that's it. I still get the fine, but it's usually reduced, and they take the points away via "probation before judgement". The points are what matter most. The idea is they'll take the points away, but if you get another ticket during the probation period, then you get those points, plus any points from the new ticket. So, like, don't get caught again. LOL. Mind you this only works if you don't have any tickets already on your record. Also, I don't know for sure if they have this in other states. I'm in MD.

In your case, if the ticket really is in error then maybe you've got something to go on. I don't really know for sure. But if you are actually guilty, this will work at least it does in MD.[/QUOTE]

I've had similar experiences...

in Both Maine (ME) and Connecticut (CT) I've gotten tickets, appealed the ticket so that I'd get a date in traffic court and both times I showed up the prosecutor or whomever was in charge told me if I plead guilty and was able to pay that day I'd only have to pay 50% of the face value of the speeding ticket...

worth a try I guess

[quote name='DT778']Tits.[/QUOTE]

+1. Make sure some nip is showing.

Ok, serious answer: contest it and hope the issuing officer can't make it to the court date for whatever reason. (Hint: don't arrange an illegal distraction for the entire PD during that time slot).

[quote name='eLefAdEr']+1. Make sure some nip is showing.

Ok, serious answer: contest it and hope the issuing officer can't make it to the court date for whatever reason. (Hint: don't arrange an illegal distraction for the entire PD during that time slot).[/QUOTE]

Cops get paid to go to court. Unless they screwed up and wrote your court date during a planned vacation of theirs, they get paid to show up there and sit for a couple of hours or however long it takes to get to your traffic case. Sounds better than doing real police work. Also, cops usually set up the tickets so that your traffic court date doesn't fall during their vacation. It's pretty hard to get the cop not to show up.

You're going to lose, OP. The cop is going to walk in and recite a statement about what lane he saw you in, when his radar or lidar device was last calibrated (assuming he used one... if not he's going to recite how he paced you), what lane he saw you were in, the speed limit for that road/lane, how much you exceeded it by, etc. etc. etc. You're going to say "No wai that happened judge!" Judge is going to say "It's this police officer's job to be truthful and its his job to do traffic stops for speeding like this. Why shouldn't I believe him?" You'll say "Uh... because... because." She'll find you guilty and you'll have to pay the fine and if available in your state, go to traffic school to get the points taken off your record if you qualify.

I'd say go for it. My boss got a ticket for something very similar, and actually went in to court with a map and explained how there was no way he should have been ticketed. He won his case, but the issuing officer was not present(that obviously always helps if you are trying to plead your case).

Not speed? Sorry someone had to say it.

[quote name='Mixer236']I'd say go for it. My boss got a ticket for something very similar, and actually went in to court with a map and explained how there was no way he should have been ticketed. He won his case, but the issuing officer was not present(that obviously always helps if you are trying to plead your case).[/QUOTE]

Problem is, whether it was a 55 or 65 zone, he was still speeding. If the cop ticketed him for a 65 in a 55 this could work. But I don't think the judge will be too impressed with you pleading not guilty because you were only speeding by 10 MPH, not 20.

I second show up to court. Don't lie, I've had two tickets. I didn't plead guilty but pled no contest. Which the judge immediately found me guilty. But in both cases I got like 70% of the amount I owed dropped. Plus he gives you a chance to speak, so then you could ask for fewer points because of the MPH discrepancy.

I don't know if these exist outside of Las Vegas, but, here in Las Vegas, there is a famous company in a pink building that takes care of speeding tickets. From what I've heard, they make it an easy process. Of course, I've never had a speeding ticket, so I don't know the name of the company. But, in any event, I'd search for a similar company in your area. I think the one here even goes to court for you.

If you are good friends with a lawyer have them email the circuit court or whoever takes care of it and enter a "plea agreement" with them. My brothers best friend is a lawyer and he did that for me. I didn't have to worry about taking the driving school. I just paid the fine

I remember hearing somewhere about some kind of service you could sign up for that would take care of speeding tickets without issue. I want to say it was $17 a month or something, and that the tickets never showed up on your record. Essentially like insurance against speeding tickets.

It sounded too good to be true at the time, and I've yet to hear of a single person who uses it. Anyone else ever heard of this?

tumblr_ljk5q21AZH1qgypc5o1_400.jpg

I've received 2 tix (in Illinois). 1 I was in my dad's car and he didn't have the most current insurance card in it (though it was insured) so I had no choice but to go to court (he took my driver's license) to prove that I had insurance. BUT, I got lucky and the officer didn't show up, so I just presented proof of insurance and was told to be on my way. No fee, no ticket, no points, it's like it never happened.

Just got my second this past Friday actually. Some asshole pulled out in front of me and so I went around him, and in accelerating to pass him apparently I was "speeding". Luckily since the last one didn't count for anything, I just have to pay the ticket and a fee (195.00) and I can take an online drivering school course. Provided I do that, I'll get "court supervision" for 3 months. If no tix between now and the end of the "supervision" it doesn't go on my record, like it never happened. I assume that also means I don't get "points" towards my insurance.

Hopefully your state has something similar. I'd say it's too much of a gamble to rely on the officer not showing up to court.

You can either pay the ticket, mitigate it, or contest it. Straight up paying it is the quickest and easiest...but the most expensive. I normally lean towards the other 2 options myself (mitigate or contest).

I would contest it if you think you were in the right. If the officer that wrote you the ticked is a no-show then you automatically win. In case he does show, make sure you go over your "case" beforehand so you are prepared. Know what you want to say and how you want to present yourself and the "facts"...

If you dont think you can win it, or think the odds are not in your favor, then I would mitigate the ticket. All you have to do then is go to your court date and speak to the judge. He will ask you basically what happened, where you would explain yourself (e.g. if it was an accident and you didnt know you were speeding, etc.). It usually doesnt matter what you tell them, as long as you show up for the court date, the judge will almost always drop the fine down to the minimum in my experience. The officer who ticketed you has no obligation to appear at a mitigation, as you are basically pleading guilty and asking for a reduced fine when selecting this option. [As an example, when I got a speeding ticket I was obviously speeding. I chose to mitigate, went to my court date, and just told the judge that I was running late for work and that is why I may have been going a little faster than normal. We both kind of chuckled and then he dropped the ticked down from $150 to $75 - the minimum here.]

Just FYI: I have had friends get off on speeding tickets simply because the officer that ticketed them did not show up to the court date (when they contested the ticket). It happens...so dont be shocked if you contest and the officer is a no-show.

http://gizmodo.com/5902267/scientist-uses-physics-to-escape-a-400-traffic-ticket

When encountering a tricky problem, it always pays to play to your strengths. Like a scientist from UCSD who was issued with a traffic ticket for failing to completely stop at a stop sign. His response? A four-page paper describing how the ticket defied the laws of physics.

Using his understanding of angular and linear motion, Dmirti Krioukov was able to argue to a judge that the police officer who issued the ticket only thought he saw the car failing to fully stop. Krioukov explained to NBC:

"[M]y argument in the court went as follows: that what he saw would be easily confused by the angle of speed of this hypothetical object that failed to stop at the stop sign. And therefore, what he saw did not properly reflect reality, which was completely different."

Uhuh. If that needs clearing up, his argument is based on relative velocities: to an observer—like the police officer—the car could appear to be moving at a certain velocity in a particular direction as a result of the observer's position and velocity. If you want to read the full paper, it's here.

But that's enough physics. You're probably thinking that you might be able to use this defense. Don't bother: Krioukov has warned that it took a freak combination of events for his argument to hold up, and that it's unlikely to work very often. Dammit.

You know how to handle a ticket right? You gotta be firm with the policeman! While he's writing out the ticket,
you gotta give him a bad look.
Then when he's almost finished writing,
reach over & snatch it outta his hands!

Tell him you're gonna check it over for mistakes!
And then when you're done,
crumble it up and throw it at his feet! And then say..

'Fxck you!! And your ticket, too!!
--You a s s h o l e in a hat ! !
Can't you see I have enough garbage on the floor of my car already?!
Saayy...don't I pay your salary!?'
(They like that, when you're interested in the state budget.)
'You're a public servant...get me a glass of water!' "

georgecarlin1.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slickkill77']If you are good friends with a lawyer have them email the circuit court or whoever takes care of it and enter a "plea agreement" with them. My brothers best friend is a lawyer and he did that for me. I didn't have to worry about taking the driving school. I just paid the fine[/QUOTE]

This guy is right, lawyer is the way to go. I got a ticket for 20 over and the lawyer got it knocked down to 9 over so no points. The extra 120 bucks it cost me for the lawyer was worth it because I didn't have to worry about missing work and he handled everything related to the case.

do you have to go to court to plead.. here i think you can go down and say take a less charge and pay like 50% of the ticket... if you do go to court make sure its not one of these 2 or 3 day things ..

day 1... what is your plea

if you say you did not do it the judge could say.... okay your hearing is set for xxxxxxxxx

meaning your going to miss 2 days of works and not one..

i got pulled over for a seatbelt and knew i was in the right..

i had a hearing on jan 2011

went down here went in front of the judge and was told i had to come back may of 2011 for the hearing but then all of a sudden the other side dismissed the charges (probally wasnt worth them spending the time to set up a case for 25 bucks :)

but if they didnt drop it i would of had to come back TWICE not once

first time is to say you didnt to it THEN They set up a time for the case

Well if you can get do something about the cop making it to court... just throwing that out there. Not really suggesting anything.

I'll tell you one way to always get a ticket: question the cop. Those assholes set you up for that. They make statements in a way that almost dares you to question them.

But yeah, if you can prove it, go to court. If the cop doesn't show, you get off free. If he does, you seem to have enough proof to get the judge to void the ticket and make the cop look like an idiot.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']So on my way to work this morning on a major highway (I-85) for those in GA, when I start to get off at my exit, let me explain too that this is not a normal exit, it pretty much exits off onto 3 diff roads. 85 speed limit is 65 and the side road/exit is 55. So I'm on 85 going with traffic at 70 or so mph and start to get off at my exit and bam, less than two hundred feet on the right hand side, a motorcycle cop is sitting there and pointed at me to pull over. So I pull over and he just asks for my license and says I was doing 75 in a 55 and I told him "no way" and he just writes the ticket and is on his way. If you see the map below and look up near the top where it says 85 and 109, that's the lane I was moving into. There are three (heck, may be four) exits on that side road and mine is the second so I know to slow down since I've been going that road for over 5 years. So do I go to court and try to explain to the judge that there is no way the cop got me doing 75 in a 55 since I wasn't even in the 55 zone when he popped me. Sorry, this was longer than I expected. Got the ticket, was on my way to the bank and lunch and boom, flat tire, had to change it while it lightly rained. Didn't even go back to work..lol. Knew karma was out to get me. Thx for the rant.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...sb&biw=1280&bih=854&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il[/QUOTE]
Are you speeding? The answer is basically yes from what you have given. You were moving at 75mph in a 65mph zone anyways, doesn't matter if you have changed into the 55mph speed limit zone since you are already considered speeding in the 65mph zone.

You would win this argument probably if it was about him ticketing you in a 55mph zone instead of a 65mph zone. But this is a speeding ticket, and it all comes down to if you were speeding or not.

I would advise you to go to court and admit you were speeding but tell them it was in the 65mph zone instead of the 55mph zone, this way you are not over the speed limit by 20mph. Don't lie to the judge, he probably heard every story imaginable, tell the truth and they will most likely go easy on the fine.

could of said you just got a new axle put on the car and the shop messed up the speed .. you had no clue you was going fast... did that once and got out of a ticket

forgot to add that (though it was true i just did get a new part put on and they did mess it up)

With my lead foot, a v8 and my motorcycle and as much speeding I have done over the years, I guess I should just feel lucky that it's taken this long to get caught (old man here, almost 40).

bread's done
Back