CAGcast #280: Half CAGcast, Half Mass Effect 3 Spoilercast

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:52 AM

As the title suggests, it's two CAGcasts in one! The first half we discuss Witcher 2, Ridge Racer Unbounded, March NPDs (and more), while the 2nd half is dedicated to spoilerific Mass Effect 3 talk.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

Download - 84 minutes, 50MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

GoDaddy
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Heads High - Mr. Vegas / 'Mass Effect 3' Ending FAIL (The Wanted Parody) - Terence Jay Music

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Edited by CheapyD, 17 April 2012 - 05:04 AM.

#2 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:07 AM

Thank you Gaming Moses. Looking forward to listening to the ME3 portion.

#3 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

I'm surprised this was released so early. Clever comment pending!

#4 The Dutch Slayer

The Dutch Slayer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:09 AM

Hey that is awesome but this means that this is this weeks cagcast right?
Not any more this week right?
Hey how about that EU place he? I hear its kind of big ;)

#5 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

Hey that is awesome but this means that this is this weeks cagcast right?
Not any more this week right?

Right

#6 e3vL

e3vL

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

Waiting for the Vita price drop, or at least a significant price decrease on the memory cards

Edited by e3vL, 17 April 2012 - 06:39 AM.

#7 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

That intro took me back to my grade school days. God, Dancehall is so awful.

RESPECTAH SELECTAHHH!!!!!!

#8 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

I think it was mentioned in the 'Final Hours of Mass Effect 3' how long it took to come up with ending
Spoiler
But more importantly the ending, unlike the rest of the story WAS NOT peer reviewed.

And as far the whole debate about artistic integrity, happy v. sad endings, whether or not its' what people wanted isn't really the issue. It's the severe lack of quality that has people upset. The fact that the ending does go against the entire series up to that point brings peoples' blood to a boil.

And before I forget, this sort of thing did happen to Metroid a couple of years ago, and the similarities between Mass Effect 3's ending and that game, in regards to how it puts developers at odds with fans, what can the series do now, etc. is exactly what happened to Metroid two years ago. Nintendo hasn't exactly responded in the same way Bioware has (I.E. they haven't) but it still doesn't make the situation any less shitty for everyone.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#9 Necrozilla

Necrozilla

meeeeeeeeeeeeep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

It's like getting a hug from the Internet with early podcasts.

W A N TRdBqKD5.pngW A N T
H A V E03ol2Bg.pngH A V E

vTIvNK1.gifhlCUS8Z.gif

#10 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

Shouldn't Cheapy be comparing the Mass Effect trilogy to the Saints Row trilogy? Isn't that up his alley?

Mass Effect 3 spoiler talk:

Spoiler

#11 mrx001

mrx001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

It's like getting a hug from the Internet with early podcasts.

A racist hug.

#12 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

Bioware said the ending is the ending. Indoctrination didn't happen. Bioware will be adding some cut scenes to make things clearer via DLC.

ME 3 spoiler mistake you made.
Spoiler

Edited by thorbahn3, 17 April 2012 - 07:22 AM.

My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#13 Necrozilla

Necrozilla

meeeeeeeeeeeeep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

A racist hug.

Gluck-Gluck'Fu

W A N TRdBqKD5.pngW A N T
H A V E03ol2Bg.pngH A V E

vTIvNK1.gifhlCUS8Z.gif

#14 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Bioware said the ending is the ending. Indoctrination didn't happen. Bioware will be adding some cut scenes to make things clearer via DLC.

ME 3 spoiler mistake you made.

Spoiler

So there are two, doesn't seem like enough. My points still stand.

#15 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

So there are two, doesn't seem like enough. My points still stand.

They're supposed to be ultra-elite, why would there be very many? And they should be scattered across the galaxy doing stuff, not sitting around the office.

#16 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

They're supposed to be ultra-elite, why would there be very many? And they should be scattered across the galaxy doing stuff, not sitting around the office.

Three to serve the billions? I would say 10 minimum. And if they are on other planets, why not have that mission instead of going back to the citadel for the fifth time?

#17 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Love how consistently you guys have been doing shows! Great job as always guys!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#18 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

HAHAHA, what a great intro Cheapy. I'll never tire of that Javik impression.

The ME3 spoilercast was glorious. It was everything I wanted it to be. Nice job guys!

Edited by LiK, 17 April 2012 - 01:42 PM.

63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#19 The_Luke

The_Luke

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Hey I thought I should just clear up the relay thing Wombat had trouble with.

The relays were created by the Reapers a very long time ago, at the first 'cycle', there may have been hundreds of 50,000 year cycles as there was new Reaper created after each cycle and there are loads of Reapers.

They were created to make sure species based their technology on the mass relays, so the Reapers would know where their tech would advance to, allowing them to easily dominate. Harbringer says in ME1 that they knew that everyone would copy the tech, otherwise species would never develop FTL mass effect drives and so wouldn't reach the Citadel like the Reapers want. (They want them at the Citadel so all government can be killed at once, leaving universe in disarray, as before Shepard interfered the Citadel was meant to be the relay for the Reapers to return from deep space).

The mass relays are far too advanced to replicate, the Reapers kill all life before they become advanced enough to replicate Reaper tech as they would pose too much of a threat.

#20 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Show Notes

5:30 - Show feedback
7:30 - Watch this
9:00 - Thug Life
11:00 - New Releases
11:00 - Witcher 2
18:15 - Trials Evolution
18:45 - Disgaea 3
19:30 - Deadliest Warrior
21:30 - NPDs (Binary Domain, Resident Evil, Vita)
29:45 - Ridge Racer Unbounded
32:00 - Apple/Valve
34:15 - MS monetizing Live
35:30 - Big Win Hockey
38:30 - Mass Effect 3 talk

#21 camb1986

camb1986

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

This made my day, an early week podcast. You guys make driving long distances fun. Maybe Cheapy could contact Bioware and voice a Prothean in some future DLC. I would download that for sure.

#22 teknomusik

teknomusik

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

... Harbringer says in ME1 ...

That was Sovereign.

#23 binaryboxcutter

binaryboxcutter

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Shipwreck, I played Bro Shep and I had Kaiden because he lived through ME. Wombat was right.
Spoiler

#24 firehawk12

firehawk12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

I like how both Shipwreck and Wombat are both making up the lore for ME. Shipwreck being convinced by the Ashley thing and Wombat making shit up for ME2. :p

#25 teknomusik

teknomusik

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

I was surprised in the number of things you guys couldn't remember clearly from the series, especially the third game having recently played it. Maybe things are more clear to me since I've played each game multiple times and finished all the DLC.

As someone that's spent several hundred hours with this series (by far my favorite of this generation) I was very disappointed with the ending. I destroyed the reapers after listening to the hologram space child as I felt it was the only choice that made sense.
Spoiler
I think they should not have ended the game where they did, especially if indoctrination theory is correct. They definitely shouldn't have to release DLC to clarify the ending.

I love this meme... it pretty much sums up my thoughts about the holo child's speech prefectly.
Posted Image

Have any of you played all 3 Gears of War games? That's another trilogy from this generation that I really enjoyed, and I think Epic did a great job wrapping that up. Of course they didn't have to deal with player choice and multiple possibilities with the fate of squad mates and civilizations, but it was a satisfying ending that made sense within the universe that they created.

#26 HungryButcher

HungryButcher

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Wombat's Witcher 2 review (AKA game impressions) might have been the weakest review/impressions I have ever heard. So now I know that it's hard to pick things up, the guy can carry lots of items and there's not much hand holding for quests. Then when asked about the combat he says it's a combination between Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur, which doesn't tell me squat. Weak Womab... Very, very weak... Good thing you have huge globes in your pants.

Edited by HungryButcher, 17 April 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#27 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

a few things.

Wombat. The Protheans did reverse engineer the mass relays. They made a small one that connected IIos to the Cidadel in ME1. Also, the ending you suggested is too similar to Fallout 3 AND Saren already did the self-sacrifice thing in ME1

I was under the impression there are additional Mass Relays out there that are dormant. Not sure if these were destroyed.

You could still be a Spectre in Mass Effect 2. You can also retain your Alliance contacts.

#28 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

a few things.
Also, the ending you suggested is too similar to Fallout 3 AND Saren already did the self-sacrifice thing in ME1

If you're talking about Saren blowing his brains out with a pistol,
Spoiler
As for Wombat's complaint that there aren't enough real side missions I agree, but you had to get rid of something in order to have multiplayer and that's what they did.

Edited by thorbahn3, 17 April 2012 - 06:19 PM.

My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#29 Calinks

Calinks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

I don't know if you mention it in this show but a heads up. I'm pretty sure Javik does not have a Jamaican accent. Doesn't even sound Jamaican to me at all. Sounds African, possibly Nigerian or somewhere nearby. Not sure why you guys think he sounds like a rasta or something.

Now Tali and other quarians seem harder to place. Eastern European? Middle Eastern? Hmmm...

#30 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Three to serve the billions? I would say 10 minimum. And if they are on other planets, why not have that mission instead of going back to the citadel for the fifth time?

They serve the council, not the people. I'd say 10 maximum. And since the council was never really interested in fighting the Reapers, no reason why their spectres would be doing missions related to the cause.

Stupid citadel. I was hoping we could help retake Omega, perhaps have a dance-off battle with the Illusive Man for control. But, alas, it obviously got trimmed out of the budget. Is the Citadel really the only unoccupied place to eat left in the galaxy? Perhaps if the alliance would hire a chef like Ceberus did, the crew could just eat onboard.