Dragons Dogma 5/22/12 Updated with Expansion details

bjstucker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Dragons-Dogma-Logo.jpg

The Destiny of a World in the Heart of One Hero

Few have seen the legendary dragon until this fateful day when it attacks your quiet coastal town of Cassardis. As villagers flee you stand your ground, ready to protect your home. The massive crimson beast confronts you and extends a talon towards your chest…

E3 Trailer
E3 Trailer

Preview explaining Pawn
Pawn System

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrCiV4LOYk4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsVmmXQqWA&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c8krHCKHDI&feature=relmfu

Preview that made me make this thread
Preview

I checked and there were no other threads in this forum about this game specifically.

Helpful Links:

List of Quests in Dragon's Dogma

Dragon's Dogma Walkthrough

Dark Arisen Announced:~source
DDA_PS3FOB.jpg

trailer

Remember when Capcom released Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 rendering Marvel vs. Capcom 3 essentially obsolete by comparison? Well that looks to be the same deal with Dragon's Dogma's Dark Arisen expansion, which will apparently be only available on disc for $39.99 or as a full game download from the PlayStation Store, due to "technical limitations".
"We went round and round with the team on this topic as [releasing the Dark Arisen content as DLC] would have been a preferred option from our standpoint too," Capcom VP Christian Svensson explained on Capcom-Unity, responding to a reader's complaint. "As it turns out, I'm sorry but unfortunately there were major technical limitations that would couldn't allow for a digital upgrade path."
Svensson went on to explain further, adding: "The original game was just not designed to be expanded (no hooks in the original code) and so a full-game delivery mechanism was the only option.
"We also tried to explore a number of mechanisms to try and otherwise put this full product in original owners hands at a discount digitally but we would have run afowl of a few first party policies (not any first party's fault, t'was our fault).
"So instead, we're packing more than $20 worth of value in digital rewards for existing users: 100K rift crystals (which in DDDA have a LOT more uses than they did in DD vanilla) the Gransys armor pack and the unlimited Ferrystone. We hope this will be a sufficent "thank you" for being part of the first wave of Dragon's Dogma fans given the development limitations we had."
Svensson concluded: "Thanks again for your continued support and I hope to see you in Gransys in April."
All of that time and effort you sunk into Dragon's Dogma won't go to waste in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen of course, as you'll be able to port your character and accompanying save data over to the new release. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen will be available to purchase on disc or via the PS Store as a full game download for $39.99 on April 23rd in North America and April 26th in Europe.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen will also be available to purchase on disc and will include all of the content from the original Dragon's Dogma as well as the following Dark Arisen content:
  • More skills/equipment/augments:
    • Level 3 Skills
      • DD: DA provides each character class with a new tier of skills, giving players new devastating abilities and skills to master
    • Over 100 pieces of new equipment
      • All new high level weapons and armor sets for players venturing into the underground caverns
    • 14 new character/Pawn augments
    • New tiers of equipment enhancement
  • And there’s more:
    • Increased character customisation options
    • Item appraisal
    • Option to select Japanese voice over
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen will also herald the arrival of a new, more intuitive menu system and easier travel around Gransys. These improvements will be retrofitted for owners of the original Dragon's Dogma.
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen will be available on April 23rd in North America and April 26th in Europe for $39.99, as both a disc-based release on digital download from the PlayStation Store.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely like what they are going for but I found the demo to be muddy and framey (it's an old build though). Also, in typical Capcom fashion, it suffers from tiny-text syndrome.

There is a lot going on with the combat but the demo is fairly easy so it basically boils down to grabbing the boss enemies and then wailing on them. The depth is there but the demo sections are simple and over quickly.

You have access to the character creation and can also create your pawn. Your character and pawn will go with you into the Countryside Quest but not the Prologue Quest. (I believe that you are a Strider in the Countryside Quest and a Fighter in the Prologue)

I'm still not a fan of Capcom thanks to their atrocious DLC strategies but I'll give this a whirl once it comes down a bit and depending on how they decide to handle DLC.

I wasnt interested in this game at all until I watched some vids on youtube the other day. Now I am intrigued. Do we know if the game will play similar to a Demons Souls or Kingdom of Amalur?

[quote name='wrencrest']I wasnt interested in this game at all until I watched some vids on youtube the other day. Now I am intrigued. Do we know if the game will play similar to a Demons Souls or Kingdom of Amalur?[/QUOTE]

More like DS. You download other peoples Pawms using rift points (currency in game) and they help you on the adventure depending on what the pawn has done adventure wise will tell how strong etc it will be for certain missions. Very interesting they compare it to FFXI /FFXIV in the fact that you can change class on the fly and are not set in one specific class through out the entire game.

Played the demo this morning. When I get home I have to play it few more time to form an opinion.

Should have expanded the play area and slapped a fixed time limit on it like they did for Dead Rising.

Enjoyed the few minutes I played, still keeping my pre order.

NA demo is up.

Your created character/pawn are saved when replaying the demo/Countryside Quest. I'm going to see if the save carries over from JP to NA. (doubtful but who knows)

Wow, this game actually looks pretty good. I originally wrote it off because it looked like a Demon's Souls ripoff but it definitely doesn't seem like it after watching some of the videos...

[quote name='bjstucker']More like DS. You download other peoples Pawms using rift points (currency in game) and they help you on the adventure depending on what the pawn has done adventure wise will tell how strong etc it will be for certain missions. Very interesting they compare it to FFXI /FFXIV in the fact that you can change class on the fly and are not set in one specific class through out the entire game.[/QUOTE]
yeah , its cool, i played the demo last night, did not realize it was coming on PSN already. It was fun. Good graphically, but kind of chaotic to the point I had a hard time knowing what was going on with everyone. Also seemed somewaht easy, although that may be just for the demo. I didnt die or even come close to dying and I just hacked away at the end boss in the prologue mission.

After playing the demo I was pretty happy with it. kind of sad that prologue did not include my created character but thankfully the countryside mission did. I really enjoy being able to grab onto the "bosses" and then target certain parts to attack. The griffin fight was pretty awesome flying in the air a bit while my pawn was shooting fire arrows at it to help bring it down. Honestly the demo solidified any doubts I had about it being from the makers of RE and DmC. On another note somehow at gamestop they have it down for 49.99 instead of the usual 59.99 I have heard no mention of a SE or anything so hopefully it is their mistake and they honor the cheaper price.

I'm still interestedin the game but I didn't have fun with the demo at all.

On the plus side when you play online with kids they see a censored name for your character that you can choose. One of the options is "Viewtiful Joe"

I originally wrote this game off because I didn't think Capcom could pull such a game like this off. After watching some gameplay footage, I am highly intrigued and downloading the demo now.

Wow, the demo took two and a half hours to install. I downloaded it the night before last and started the install at 9am, it wasn't done installing till 11:30am. All that time for a 60 second mission (kill the griffon). Not really impressed, but I do so totally want this game. And it releases on my birthday...LOL.

[quote name='praxus07']Wow, the demo took two and a half hours to install. I downloaded it the night before last and started the install at 9am, it wasn't done installing till 11:30am. All that time for a 60 second mission (kill the griffon). Not really impressed, but I do so totally want this game. And it releases on my birthday...LOL.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? That's the same demo I played last year at comic-con? They added nothing?

[quote name='bjstucker']It has a mission with Griffon/character creation/Prologue before dragon steals your heart.[/QUOTE]

The gryphon mission was what I played at comic con last summer. Sad they didn't change it after a year.

I must say I'm intrigued now that GI gave it an 8.5. Usually these are just throwaway capcom games and releasing a week after D3 isn't doing it any favors. I might pick it up on the cheap now, though.

[quote name='wrencrest']I doubt many companies change their demos often. It probably costs more money than they want to spend.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but then there was pretty much no reason to release it so late if it wasn't changed. And it makes me a little uneasy that they might not have polished much in the past 10 months.

I started watching some videos on this since the article was making a comparison to Dark Souls and a few key bad design issues I noticed started popping up:

- Aerial NPCs are a bitch for warriors seeing as you have to jump and slash to connect, but at the same time they tend to back up when approached making for very frustrating gameplay.

- Synergy between you and your companions is very broken. They like to talk a lot and when they hit enemies with a 'power shot' it can make them fly backwards. While cool when you do it, imagine if your archer kept knocking enemies back that you're trying to cleave down. I imagine you might turn around and kill him instead after 5 minutes of that.

- There doesn't appear to be repercussions for striking first. From the assortment of enemies I saw, none have the ability to block. This allowed the player in the videos to go in swinging without any set strategy. The Cobra Kai motto may apply, but it doesn't make for good gameplay.

I still want to see what reviewers think because I'm dying for another good, dark JRPG right now.

[quote name='Jodou']I started watching some videos on this since the article was making a comparison to Dark Souls and a few key bad design issues I noticed started popping up:

- Aerial NPCs are a bitch for warriors seeing as you have to jump and slash to connect, but at the same time they tend to back up when approached making for very frustrating gameplay.

- Synergy between you and your companions is very broken. They like to talk a lot and when they hit enemies with a 'power shot' it can make them fly backwards. While cool when you do it, imagine if your archer kept knocking enemies back that you're trying to cleave down. I imagine you might turn around and kill him instead after 5 minutes of that.

- There doesn't appear to be repercussions for striking first. From the assortment of enemies I saw, none have the ability to block. This allowed the player in the videos to go in swinging without any set strategy. The Cobra Kai motto may apply, but it doesn't make for good gameplay.

I still want to see what reviewers think because I'm dying for another good, dark JRPG right now.[/QUOTE]

Did you try the demo?

Just got done with the demo.It was okay,it really just felt like easier and more mindless version of demon's souls to me.Also the partners talk got pretty annoying and little distracting.

I'll probably pick it up when it drops below 30 bucks.

[quote name='Enuf']Capcom expects this game to be HUGE...sell 10 million copies HUGE but I dunno bout that unless it's truly spectacular. That would me it would be equal to or better than batman AC(sales wise)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317830[/QUOTE] well one thing for damn sure Capcom this one is gonna fall WELL SHORT of expectations & reach nowhere near 10 million sales. I think they should know this no just based off pre-orders which is why it's been adjusted down to 1.5 million LOL. How did they ever think this would outsell RE6 anyways. Not saying a new IP can have huge success(LA Noire, RDR(well there was a Red Dead Revolver), B:AA/B;AC but man these titles had legs, ads, promos galore.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...gons-dogma-but-risks-repeating-past-failures/

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/11/capcom-projections-resident-evil-6-sells-7-million-dmc-does-2/

OT
Lost Planet 3 1.4 million? I guess but it better release in a good window, be better than 2 & come with promos to get a good 1st week. Even DNF will reach 2 million LTD.

Just read that as well. Looks like they're pulling a Sony and sending another game to die, like Starhawk was just now. I've seen zero advertising and releasing a week after Diablo III isn't going to catch very many people seeing as it will dominate the month in sales for action/RPG. I'd expect to see a $40 or less pricepoint very quickly.

[quote name='praxus07']Wow, the demo took two and a half hours to install. I downloaded it the night before last and started the install at 9am, it wasn't done installing till 11:30am. All that time for a 60 second mission (kill the griffon). Not really impressed, but I do so totally want this game. And it releases on my birthday...LOL.[/QUOTE]

it is a pretty big fu as far as time goes especially when you create 2 characters then go into where you an use them and end it in just a few minutes. it could be fun to buy when its 20 or 30 but with the way capcom is with dlc i can only imagine how they will milk this game.

[quote name='Backlash']I haven't played the demo, but I wasn't too excited based on what other people have said. Then I heard that the demo was old and I saw these 3 videos, which really intrigued me (I love listening to this guy talk):

[/QUOTE]

added these to OP :) thanks:bouncy:

Deciding if I wanna grab the game now or just wait for a price drop. I enjoyed the demo and I like the idea of the game, and the $10 Amazon credit, but I have Diablo 3 and well Diablo 3 is a fucking timesink.

Anyone who is getting it from GS just a reminder they are doing Midnight release for it at some stores (got a call last night)

Anyone browse the strategy guide or know if it's any good?

Saw a sealed copy behind the counter at Walmart but it's only $12 on Amazon.

[quote name='Enuf']well one thing for damn sure Capcom this one is gonna fall WELL SHORT of expectations & reach nowhere near 10 million sales.....
[/QUOTE]

Not that they are to be trusted, but I saw one of those pre-order/reserve reports a few weeks ago and Dragon's Dogma had around 120k.

It was similar to this one.

[quote name='KrizB'] Not that they are to be trusted, but I saw one of those pre-order/reserve reports a few weeks ago and Dragon's Dogma had around 120k.

It was similar to this one.[/QUOTE]I see them post updates all the time but I expect them to be off somewhat just b/c they only have some info to go on. But overall they're usually in the right ballpark. I'm just kinda confused on how they could have such high expectations on a new IP without really backing it with ad money to help it. Even bulletstorm was aidded with the Gears beta which at least helped the 360 versions sell. But they were stupid enough to release on the same day as KZ3 so even the best laid plans go off.

I hope the game does well it's nice to see new IP's get some love so we don't keep getting the same rehash over & over.

I canceled mine. Partially because Capcom is annoying me, and partially because I still need to play Witcher and Xenoblade anyways.

GT review says the story sucks but if you're the type to get lost in open world sandbox games with rewarding combat, you will eat this up. Boy if that doesn't describe a game like Demon's Souls, I don't know what does. My body is ready.

Still looking forward to this, but I'm not going to hope it's anything like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. That road leads to disappointment.

[quote name='Backlash']Still looking forward to this, but I'm not going to hope it's anything like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. That road leads to disappointment.[/QUOTE]
It looks the part and I'm especially partial to the bit where you can stumble onto tough enemies without warning. I never give up until it's dead once I set my eyes on it.

Doubtful it would ever surpass the game, but as long as it's more in the same vein I'm game.

Good point. I guess what I meant is that I am not getting my hopes up that the combat will be as satisfying or solid. But I do like the general idea about it being open and allowing you to fight hard enemies and explore where you want without holding your hand.

Its a very good game about 10hrs in. Very remenicent of DS however I do find it weird that you have to change class to get on a big monster (fighter only) but changing your "vocation" is pretty simple. Only thing I am not really feeling is the (controls in the bottom corner) I am sure there is a way to get rid of it but it kind of annoys me. Its definitely worth 50$ but not 60 and I can forsee it dropping by end of June.

I'm really hoping it's Nothing like Demon's Souls, I want a fun game, not something where I'd bash my head against the wall after playing for twenty minutes. Waiting till this hits $20 or so, or GS has a really great trade-in deal for non-Edge members.

Started this last night, I think I'm hooked. Someone rent my pawn!

[quote name='bjstucker']Its a very good game about 10hrs in. Very remenicent of DS however I do find it weird that you have to change class to get on a big monster (fighter only) but changing your "vocation" is pretty simple. Only thing I am not really feeling is the (controls in the bottom corner) I am sure there is a way to get rid of it but it kind of annoys me. Its definitely worth 50$ but not 60 and I can forsee it dropping by end of June.[/QUOTE]
I am a Strider and I definitely could grab on to a big monster. Also I'm pretty sure you can turn off the controls display in the options.

I got a rental at Blockbuster and 2 hours in it's a great game. Only things I don't like are the interface and the weak voiceovers. The graphics are kinda rough but I don't mind.

bread's done
Back