GamersGate Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7798 replies to this topic

#3001 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Personally, I was always more a paddle person myself. ;)

Posted Image

#3002 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Spoiler

Me too.
Spoiler

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#3003 El Vader

El Vader

Dark Lord of the Sith

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Enjoy :

truepcgaming.com/2012/12/30/gamersgate-ceo-responds-to-recent-pricing-errors/

#3004 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Posted Image

:applause:

Circus Atari club here!!

#3005 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Enjoy :

truepcgaming.com/2012/12/30/gamersgate-ceo-responds-to-recent-pricing-errors/

Yeah someone else posted that earlier. Except he doesn't really "respond" at all, he just talks in circles and you don't come away from that interview with anymore information than before you read it.

#3006 espy

espy

Original Transported Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

They look hideously dated, though I do love Gothic 2.

I dunno, Risen 1 is free on VOID. Well for the time being. Better enjoy because who the hell knows what's going to happen with Gamersgate.

I really did like the pirate setting in Risen 2 though. I think it sets it apart from the other PB games and most RPGs in general. They had a good thing going with the tone and setting I just think they needed to keep this thing in development a little longer (the patch they pushed had fixes that should have been in the version that shipped), promote it better, not piss people off with the trivial crap day 1 DLC that was actually baked into the base game and so forth.

Sid Meier's Pirates is still the greatest pirate game of all time, although I have been eyeing Risen for some time because of my love for SMP.

#3007 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Sid Meier's Pirates is still the greatest pirate game of all time, although I have been eyeing Risen for some time because of my love for SMP.

What's smp if I may ask?

Edited by DonRamon, 02 January 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#3008 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Me too.

Spoiler

:drool:

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#3009 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

What's smp if I may ask?

:)

#3010 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Old graphics don't bother me at all -- mostly because I've lived through everything since Atari 2600.

I think it's because I lived through that once that I have a low tolerance for crap graphics and little love for the "retro 8-bit indie" style. I didn't wait through thirty years of blocky graphics just to go back to it because "the game play is so good!". Too many games with good game play AND modern graphics.

Of course, I just bought Hotline Miami since everyone gushes about it so it better knock my socks off. $2.50 was the price point for me to take a stab at it.

What's smp if I may ask?

Sid Meiers' Pirates! I assume.

I have a copy and enjoy it (even the changes over the classic Commodore era version) but it glitches terribly and mistimes when I do the dancing part on my Win 7 box. Worked fine on my old Win XP box. I've changed some hardware since then so maybe someday I'll reinstall it and see if that made a difference.

#3011 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Me too.

Spoiler

Sweet, another picture of asheskitty!

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#3012 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by espy605 Posted Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRamon Posted Image
What's smp if I may ask?
:)

oops, he mentioned Risen and I got all aroused it was a sub genre of RPG gaming called SMP....lol!

#3013 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

Yeah someone else posted that earlier. Except he doesn't really "respond" at all, he just talks in circles and you don't come away from that interview with anymore information than before you read it.

It tells us that they really don't want to let us know what's going on. :-|

#3014 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

oops, he mentioned Risen and I got all aroused it was a sub genre of RPG gaming called SMP....lol!

Posted Image

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#3015 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

@Idiotekque
That cat doesn't look grumpy enough.

#3016 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

@Idiotekque
That cat doesn't look grumpy enough.

Those are sexy eyes. He's aroused.

bZ2g3eF.png

#3017 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

I think it's because I lived through that once that I have a low tolerance for crap graphics and little love for the "retro 8-bit indie" style. I didn't wait through thirty years of blocky graphics just to go back to it because "the game play is so good!". Too many games with good game play AND modern graphics.

Of course, I just bought Hotline Miami since everyone gushes about it so it better knock my socks off. $2.50 was the price point for me to take a stab at it.

Sid Meiers' Pirates! I assume.

I have a copy and enjoy it (even the changes over the classic Commodore era version) but it glitches terribly and mistimes when I do the dancing part on my Win 7 box. Worked fine on my old Win XP box. I've changed some hardware since then so maybe someday I'll reinstall it and see if that made a difference.

I'm okay with some old graphics but it depends on which ones we are talking about here. Most 2D stuff from the 8-bit era up (I'll be honest, I won't be playing Atari Adventure any time soon) I am okay with but I feel like that era in the late 90s and early 2000s in the early days of 3D polygonal graphics has aged especially terribly.

It's a shame too because I really do love some of those games like Gothic 2 and Wizardy 8 but you look at those heinous blocky heads and it looks awful. Like Minecraft but worse because it's not even trying to be stylized. That was all they could do with the 3D processing hardware at the time.

Now if you compare those to 2D games of the same era or in some cases earlier, I think those games have aged much better. Baldur's Gate was released around that time and I still think it looks quite good. It's really not that far off from the look of something like Diablo III (just talking visuals, not play style here). Beamdog didn't even really have to do much to it for the re-release.

Oh and I want that damned SMP but it never goes below 50% off. :bomb:

May have to cave one day and buy it at 50 off but not now. Spent too much this go round already.

#3018 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

Procedure to decrypt and backup GamersGate Game Setup Files:

Spoiler

Trick doesn't seem to work for "Space Rangers 2" or "Space Rangers 2 Reboot".

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well I've tried all that, but it didn't work. So it was apparently just something weird with Space Rangers 2. I was able to download all the other 1C games without a problem.

Honestly, I don't ever care all that much anymore. I'm only bothering to post about it because you went out of your way to try and help me with this walkonshadows. So I figured at the very least, I owed you a report on the results. Though I guess it might come in handy with anybody else who bought the 1C pack and is thinking about backing up the installer files.

#3019 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

Space Rangers 2 is awesome. >.>

bZ2g3eF.png

#3020 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

Well I've tried all that, but it didn't work. So it was apparently just something weird with Space Rangers 2. I was able to download all the other 1C games without a problem.

Honestly, I don't ever care all that much anymore. I'm only bothering to post about it because you went out of your way to try and help me with this walkonshadows. So I figured at the very least, I owed you a report on the results. Though I guess it might come in handy with anybody else who bought the 1C pack and is thinking about backing up the installer files.

Roger that. Gonna take a more knowledgeable person than me. I wonder however if it isn't possible to just copy/paste the game folder that has already been installed as a backup? along with any executables (directX,etc) that the installer came with.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

#3021 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

I'm okay with some old graphics but it depends on which ones we are talking about here. Most 2D stuff from the 8-bit era up (I'll be honest, I won't be playing Atari Adventure any time soon) I am okay with but I feel like that era in the late 90s and early 2000s in the early days of 3D polygonal graphics has aged especially terribly.

That's true. There's some perfectly nice 2D graphics (and I'm not opposed to anything not cutting edge; just the "it's okay to look like crap because it's so retro" schtick) but the early 3D stuff was an uncomfortable period in retrospect. I'd be more likely to play DOOM with its sprites than early Tomb Raider with the jagged polygons and awful skins.

#3022 zippybox

zippybox

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

Just finished with the download of the 1c collection - ~145GB

For the two unusual installs (Space Rangers 2 and Space Rangers 2 Reboot), Setup.exe is actually created somewhere else:

c:\windows\setup_rangers_2.exe

c:\windows = where the OS is installed

Copy the file to your install backup directory and you'll have all the files for future installations. You can even rename it to setup.exe

#3023 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

I might be hella late to the party on this one but I noticed today that the iamaneldergeek coupon code, which is supposed to remove 5% from one item in your cart, works to remove a flat 5% off the total when buying blue coins. One $5 coin buy and one $1 coin buy cost me $5.70 total. A lot more convenient than buying coins one at a time -- it's annoying enough to have to do it two at a time.

Anyway, went with Risen 2 for $6.65 after all the discounts, etc not counting coins rewarded back.

#3024 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

I might be hella late to the party on this one but I noticed today that the iamaneldergeek coupon code, which is supposed to remove 5% from one item in your cart, works to remove a flat 5% off the total when buying blue coins. One $5 coin buy and one $1 coin buy cost me $5.70 total. A lot more convenient than buying coins one at a time -- it's annoying enough to have to do it two at a time.

It's always been like this - a 5000 blue coin purchase is considered one item in your cart. I just stocked up as well since, if you think about it, getting 5% off from the BlueCoins purchase plus another 5% off from the game purchase effectively gives you 10% off in total.

#3025 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

It's always been like this - a 5000 blue coin purchase is considered one item in your cart. I just stocked up as well since, if you think about it, getting 5% off from the BlueCoins purchase plus another 5% off from the game purchase effectively gives you 10% off in total.

No, my cart had
(1) 5,000 BC - $5.00
(1) 1,000 BC - $1.00

For a total of $6.00. When I typed in the "iamaneldergeek" code, it only showed a 25¢ deduct in the cart (5% of $5.00) but the little pre-pay invoice thing GG does said $5.70 and, sure enough, PayPal only charged me $5.70 instead of the $5.75 it showed in the cart.

We're only talking a nickle here but this might me useful if you're trying to buy (2) $20 packs or something.

#3026 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

No, my cart had
(1) 5,000 BC - $5.00
(1) 1,000 BC - $1.00

For a total of $6.00. When I typed in the "iamaneldergeek" code, it only showed a 25¢ deduct in the cart (5% of $5.00) but the little pre-pay invoice thing GG does said $5.70 and, sure enough, PayPal only charged me $5.70 instead of the $5.75 it showed in the cart.

We're only talking a nickle here but this might me useful if you're trying to buy (2) $20 packs or something.

Ah, I see what you mean now. In fact, I didn't even realize till now that the coupon only took 5% off a single game instead of the total purchase so that's good to know (moral: buy each game separately). Thanks!

#3027 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Actually, it only takes it off the cheapest item so it's more of a savings than I thought...

My cart:
Spoiler

My invoice (and amount I paid):
Spoiler

#3028 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Actually, it only takes it off the cheapest item so it's more of a savings than I thought...

My cart:

Spoiler

My invoice (and amount I paid):
Spoiler

Jesus Christ! Did they purposefully design their entire system to f' up everything!?! How the hell can they be so incompetent!?!

#3029 Stonekeep

Stonekeep

ThePizzaDude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Just finished with the download of the 1c collection - ~145GB

For the two unusual installs (Space Rangers 2 and Space Rangers 2 Reboot), Setup.exe is actually created somewhere else:

c:\windows\setup_rangers_2.exe

c:\windows = where the OS is installed

Copy the file to your install backup directory and you'll have all the files for future installations. You can even rename it to setup.exe

I envy you, is Real Warfare 1 and 2 included?

#3030 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Well, hmm, don't expect Shakespeare. Risen 2 doesn't take itself too seriously and can be silly at times. I like it overall, but there are some corny jokes here and there.

I think it did a good job creating a fun pirate environment but I wouldn't call it dark and gritty either. I felt like it did a good job at being humorous without going overboard (most of the time).

Basically, it's kind of a grand pirate adventure. Something along the tone of Pirates of the Caribbean.

If you go in expecting serious bidness you may be disappointed but if you want a pirate adventure I thought it was a lot of fun.

*ETA: There are decisions but they don't usually effect the game hugely. The biggest one comes down to whether you side with one particular faction or another about a third of the way in. Then that effects which party member you get and whether you go for a ranged combat or magic style.

Oh I didn't mean it has to be serious business. A game doesn't have to be serious to have a good story.

I just like game with a lot of story Focus.