GamersGate Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7798 replies to this topic

#4021 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

It has crappy Act Control DRM with a limited number of activations that has been scaring me off. It's the same even if you get it on Steam. Much of the continent of Europe seems to still have not gotten the memo that account based DRM with unlimited activations > hardware based DRM with limited activations on a game.

When asked about it, a representative from Focus (the publisher) replied that if you don't like DRM, buy it on the consoles. :roll:

I honestly don't know what GG's policy is on if you run out of activations if they will reissue you a new key or otherwise assist like Amazon does.

In theory you could always write to Focus I guess and hope they respond. :-P

It could be okay, the premise seems a little interesting but I will wait for either the DRM to get yanked or a $5 or below price if it doesn't.

Gamersgate can try to get activations reset, if you run out of activations.
You have to contact their support:

Derick Sanzi ‏@MysterD
@GamersGate What's w/ Precursors having with StarForce just 2 activations allowed? Are there revokes? What's the DRM terms for this game?Thx

GamersGate ‏@GamersGate
@MysterD If you ever run out of acitivations, just drop support an email and they will help you reset it! :) /Angie

#4022 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

I highly doubt that the Steam Box will allow multiple people to access a single account at one time. Much like when Netflix boots you off for streaming too many devices, Steam will boot you off the Steambox if the same account is logged in elsewhere. Valve is pretty strict on their single license, single user (same user), policy; it's also clearly stated in the TOS. In the end, you purchased a license to play a game only for you and that's it. Even giving your account to somebody after you died is breaking the TOS.

#4023 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Digital games, including GOG DRM-free games, are single user, not single computer. So technically, you do need one copy per person playing, so there's nothing wrong with multiple accounts, one per kid.

If they change the laws to allow digital licenses to be resold, like they are doing in Europe, then you have an argument.

I'm not asking to resell anything (although I wish I could). What I'm saying is the following:

- If I buy two games from GOG, I can be playing one game on one computer while my kids play the other game on another computer *at the same time*.

- If I buy those same two games with my Steam account, the above scenario is not possible for the vast majority of games in the Steam store.

And if you've never tried having multiple Steam accounts, you don't know what a pain in the butt it is. How do you decide which game goes into which account? Kids grow up pretty fast and want to play different or more "serious" games. I can't move games between my Steam accounts. And on and on and on...

Oh, and in case you are saying that I should have to buy a game twice just because two different people in my family want to play it, then I don't know what to say...

#4024 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

I interpreted Seamoss' statement as being:
He can't play Civ 5 online, while his spouse plays COD online, and their child plays Borderlands 2 if all the games are linked to a single steam account. This would be possible if the games were retail and non-steam (but note in this example Civ5 & BL2 are steamworks). By any reasonable measure this would be permitted.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#4025 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

I'm not 'a lot of people' and if you think my few words was 'quibbling heavily in a trollish way' then ... good grief. Still, no need to derail this thread any further.

Back to On-topic: I completely agree with seamoss and how Steam affects family play. Steam is a single-person app. I can imagine Steam would release a "Steam box" which allowed family to play all games - like content bought on one PSN account can be played by anyone using that machine - and having that as a selling point.

but, you gotta admit, your name is trollish. :bouncy:
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#4026 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

Oh, and in case you are saying that I should have to buy a game twice just because two different people in my family want to play it, then I don't know what to say...

But that's exactly what Valve is going to say. You purchased a single, nontransferable license to only be played by you and you only. According to the TOS and their agreement with publishers, you have to purchase another copy if you want somebody else to play the game. I highly doubt this will change and somehow retroactively work with preexisting accounts.

#4027 ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Even giving your account to somebody after you died is breaking the TOS.

This applies to iTunes and probably other services but what will actually happen? Will they assume that 60 years after you registered that you are now dead and ask for proof you are not? It's an area that hasn't really been explored/tested has it?

#4028 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

This applies to iTunes and probably other services but what will actually happen? Will they assume that 60 years after you registered that you are now dead and ask for proof you are not? It's an area that hasn't really been explored/tested has it?

You know, I never thought about putting a Steam account or similar in a will, but you know... it can be pretty valuable. Username and Password added to will now...lol

#4029 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

I had assumed that Ashes was referring to the asinine "can I sell my steam game back?" argument in the post after yours.

(Asinine because, as was noted, you can't really sell any digital game, whether it be linked to an account or DRM free, and I would even argue that to sell a used Serial based PC game is more or less impossible, unless you're buying it from a friend that you know is extremely trustworthy.)

This is my last post on this subject because discussions like these don't usually go anywhere useful, but simply because there's currently no infrastructure for reselling digital property in no way makes it "asinine" to want to do so. Reselling your own property is a long-enshrined right and just because Steam calls them "subscriptions" doesn't make them so (Steam's TOS != The Law).

I hope that one day this will be seriously tested in a court of law and we regain some of our rights (and I'm not talking about Steam's lawyers threatening to sue some poor bastard who's trying to sell his account on ebay). Wanting to resell something you own is *not* illegal and it's definitely *not* impossible - if Steam can enforce that only one user has access to a game (in fact, all the games in their account) at any point in time, they can certainly accommodate moving access to a game from one account to another in a technical sense. They just don't want to because it would lead to huge profit losses for them.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

#4030 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Digital games, including GOG DRM-free games, are single user, not single computer. So technically, you do need one copy per person playing, so there's nothing wrong with multiple accounts, one per kid.

If they change the laws to allow digital licenses to be resold, like they are doing in Europe, then you have an argument.

I highly doubt that the Steam Box will allow multiple people to access a single account at one time. Much like when Netflix boots you off for streaming too many devices, Steam will boot you off the Steambox if the same account is logged in elsewhere. Valve is pretty strict on their single license, single user (same user), policy; it's also clearly stated in the TOS. In the end, you purchased a license to play a game only for you and that's it. Even giving your account to somebody after you died is breaking the TOS.

To both of you, just because a clause is in the terms of service does not mean that it would stand up in court.

Regarding steambox, it is Valve's entry into the holy of hollies (stuff that hooks up to your TV)j. I imagine they would at least rig it similar to steam on mobile (e.g. Android App) where you can be logged into it while one computer is. I am not sure they'd let you play two games simultaneous, but a living room entry has a different use model and needs to be treated differently than some PC desktop.

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#4031 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

I'm not asking to resell anything (although I wish I could). What I'm saying is the following:

*snip*

The reselling point is that you can "sell" your copy to your kid, and buy it back, so you don't need a copy per person that plays.

For the second, you can say you're breaking TOS.

#4032 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

You know, I never thought about putting a Steam account or similar in a will, but you know... it can be pretty valuable. Username and Password added to will now...lol

I'll be your heir!!! :drool:
Hmmm, probably should do this too though.
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#4033 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

I'll be your heir!!! :drool:

You'll just end up with 1500 Indie Gala bundles and 1,000,000,000,000 Gala "points"....

;)

#4034 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

This is my last post on this subject because discussions like these don't usually go anywhere useful, but simply because there's currently no infrastructure for reselling digital property in no way makes it "asinine" to want to do so. Reselling your own property is a long-enshrined right and just because Steam calls them "subscriptions" doesn't make them so (Steam's TOS != The Law).

I hope that one day this will be seriously tested in a court of law and we regain some of our rights (and I'm not talking about Steam's lawyers threatening to sue some poor bastard who's trying to sell his account on ebay). Wanting to resell something you own is *not* illegal and it's definitely *not* impossible - if Steam can enforce that only one user has access to a game (in fact, all the games in their account) at any point in time, they can certainly accommodate moving access to a game from one account to another in a technical sense. They just don't want to because it would lead to huge profit losses for them.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I wasn't arguing the wish to sell back digital content in itself was "asinine" (if we're going to use quotes for it), but that the guy who was arguing that as a specific flaw of Steam, whereas, to my knowledge, it has been more or less impossible to resell a used PC game since the implementation of CD Serials.

I also wasn't referring to your comments, but the post directly after ButtonPusher's.

#4035 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

That settles it then.

Steam box will fail miserably.

#4036 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

That settles it then.

Steam box will fail miserably.

Eh, who knows; policies change with the times. Either way, I have 2.3k "single use, nontransferable subscriptions" and I don't mind one bit.

#4037 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

Eh, who knows; policies change with the times. Either way, I have 2.3k "single use, nontransferable subscriptions" and I don't mind one bit.

Kinda weird that likely includes games with hotseat multiplayer, given that playing those with more than one player is against TOS.

#4038 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

I want to be anarachyoblivion when I grow up.

I am just a pathetic noob with 1,444 subs. :cry:

steam_sig.png

#4039 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

I want to be anarachyoblivion when I grow up.

I am just a pathetic noob with 1,444 subs. :cry:

Be careful what you wish for. AO lives in a cardboard box and pirates McDonald's electricity while using their Wi-Fi. 100% of his income (from begging, pickpocketing, and selling his body) goes to Steam games.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#4040 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Awesomenauts - $3 for the daily. Wish the 3 Pack was on sale too, but not so far.

#4041 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Awesomenauts - $3 for the daily. Wish the 3 Pack was on sale too, but not so far.

Looks like you got your wish - $6 for the 3-pack.

http://www.gamersgat...ree-pack-bundle

#4042 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Looks like you got your wish - $6 for the 3-pack.

Awesome. Too bad I just talked myself out of buying it. Best price it's been so far though. Even without the additional discount.

#4043 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Awesome. Too bad I just talked myself out of buying it. Best price it's been so far though. Even without the additional discount.

I'm sure it'll show up in some bundle or other sometime in 2013.

#4044 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Daily is Kingdom's of Amalur 9.99$, DRM: Origin.

Also, that damn glitch on Bl2 really has killed the value of keys

#4045 xamon

xamon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Thanks.

Edited by xamon, 29 January 2013 - 10:06 AM.
Help not needed anymore

#4046 lwhitit

lwhitit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I needed to get a couple copies for friends.

#4047 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

the 3 Pack is on sale for me

-70%

ALSO:

Divinity is on sale today!

You can get the collection with all 3 games for 16$ with -20% , I think it was 12$ during steam sale though
http://www.gamersgat...dle<br /><br />

#4048 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

You could have gotten:
Divine Divinity - $1 GOG PWYW sale in Nov
Beyond Divinty - $0.87 GMG in fall (Crapsule)
Divitiy II: DKS - $6 Amazon in Spring

That's not a bad deal. It nice to see GG running that as a pack so there's good hope for a proper discount in the future.

#4049 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Beyond Divinity was actually free on GMG/Crapsule last summer.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#4050 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

I wanted in on the PWYW on GOG but just missed! Otherwise I would've bought all 3 then hah..