GamersGate Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7798 replies to this topic

#391 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

I noticed the list price for Blades of Time dropped from $40 around midnight to $30, dropping it to $15 on sale. I picked it up on the Steam Summer sale (with DLC) for $11.xx. I'm a few hours into it and found it to be a fun DMC-style romp. The artistic direction fits well, and I haven't run into any bugs yet. I'm sure it will drop lower, but I can recommend it at it's current price if it scratches that itch for you.

Not yet mentioned but for whatever reason, Gothic Complete Pack & ArcaniA Gold Edition is on the weekly for $10 this week (but not last week >.>). Seems quite decent if one has any interest in Gothic 4.

#392 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

I noticed the list price for Blades of Time dropped from $40 around midnight to $30, dropping it to $15 on sale. I picked it up on the Steam Summer sale (with DLC) for $11.xx. I'm a few hours into it and found it to be a fun DMC-style romp. The artistic direction fits well, and I haven't run into any bugs yet. I'm sure it will drop lower, but I can recommend it at it's current price if it scratches that itch for you.

Not yet mentioned but for whatever reason, Gothic Complete Pack & ArcaniA Gold Edition is on the weekly for $10 this week (but not last week >.>). Seems quite decent if one has any interest in Gothic 4.

I noticed that too, the game actually looked interesting but 50% is not enough for me! Is it a relatively new game? Hadn't heard of it prior to this sale.

#393 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

I noticed that too, the game actually looked interesting but 50% is not enough for me! Is it a relatively new game? Hadn't heard of it prior to this sale.

It came out 20 April 2012. The demo on steam page gave me good confidence in buying it. The time rewind mechanic is neat and used to good effect. There are a fair number of situations that really require/benefit from it (since you have multiple past replays of your actions happening simultaneously). Imo, check out the demo at least to figure if you have any interest in it at the present or for future sales. It is reported to be ~10 hours of play.

#394 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

There was a big stink about it a while back because Gamersgate did an oopsie and put it 75% off and then went and changed it to 50% off so a bunch of people were mad they couldn't get it at 75%. Walkonshadows actually argued with them and got them to do it for him after all but I didn't feel like going through all that mess so I just bought it on the Steam summer sale, where by the way it was cheaper than it is now so wait.

*Edit: It was back near the beginning of June.

Pics, so it did happen

Posted Image

Edited by Motoki, 07 August 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#395 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

Those "temp" files you refer to are actually normal installation files. (A lot of the time they just look like installation DVD contents.) When they're done downloading and the game's installation screen comes up, simply copy them elsewhere. You can then run them whenever you want without needing an internet connection.

It does also ask you at the end of installation if you'd like to keep the files to install later. I do not know if it still does the online check if you keep the files that way. I haven't tried it personally yet.

EDIT: I thought I had this tip in the FAQ but it turns out I didn't. Putting it in there now.

I tried that. I couldn't open the temp file...

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#396 Rockopotamus

Rockopotamus

My riffs are bottomless.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Strange... I have the TQ games and the backups of the installation files work for me. TQ should be folder 266 which contains setup.exe and IT is 267 and contains launch.exe.

#397 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

Strange... I have the TQ games and the backups of the installation files work for me. TQ should be folder 266 which contains setup.exe and IT is 267 and contains launch.exe.

I dunno, I'll try it again, but it honestly didn't even show setup files for me, only a file that made no sense and wasn't able to open (no program associated). Gonna be annoying to redownload everything, since when I opted to keep the installation files, they still weren't working, so I deleted them.

I'll update with my results.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#398 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

I dunno, I'll try it again, but it honestly didn't even show setup files for me, only a file that made no sense and wasn't able to open (no program associated). Gonna be annoying to redownload everything, since when I opted to keep the installation files, they still weren't working, so I deleted them.

I don't know if this helps you. But I had and resolved some problems with that too. When run in my /users/username/downloads folder the "GamersGate temporary files" folder was not showing (but it was there when I pathed to it).
Sophos Antivirus was giving me problems, flagging and deleting the "launch" file for TQ automatically. I had to disable on-access scanning in Sohpos and run "Download Titan Quest.exe" again (which I did as admin just to be sure). Unfortunately this resulted in a full re-download (though only the "launch" file was missing). Sophos is very agressive, regularly nuking punkbuster and similar files from steam (without negative consequences, though I rarely play multiplayer games).

#399 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

I don't know if this helps you. But I had and resolved some problems with that too. When run in my /users/username/downloads folder the "GamersGate temporary files" folder was not showing (but it was there when I pathed to it).
Sophos Antivirus was giving me problems, flagging and deleting the "launch" file for TQ automatically. I had to disable on-access scanning in Sohpos and run "Download Titan Quest.exe" again (which I did as admin just to be sure). Unfortunately this resulted in a full re-download (though only the "launch" file was missing). Sophos is very agressive, regularly nuking punkbuster and similar files from steam (without negative consequences, though I rarely play multiplayer games).

Well, I don't use Sophos and I never had a problem with my antivirus and the files. I also was able to see the temp folder just fine, it just never had an executable setup file for me. :\

Thanks anyways though. I guess I'll see if it works for me this time (in a half an hour or so).

bZ2g3eF.png

#400 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

So I opted to keep the temp files again, and this time that 266 folder came up with all the files in it, but there is still no executable setup file. The "autorun" file is just an icon, the "launch" file is just a "file" and cannot be opened (I even changed it to a .exe file to no avail), and the "setup" file is a notepad config file. The only exe file is called "Demo32" and it doesn't seem to do anything. It seems that the GG downloader is indeed necessary to launch the setup files they give you, and it always requires internet connection. Feels like an extra layer of DRM if you ask me.

So I'm still stuck with no setup file that I can move to another computer. I guess I just have to wait on support. In the meantime I acquired the game somewhere else so I could actually play it... It's not what I wanted to do, and it's more of a trouble, but honestly, I BOUGHT the game. >_<

bZ2g3eF.png

#401 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

Ah yes, when poking around for info on my issue, I had seen it written that supposedly that "launch" file is encrypted by gamersgate and is run by the downloader after an online key-check. I had no luck either changing it to "launch.exe". I can run the TQ installer by running the downloader again (I kept my temp files). Maybe try that...

I would note that I tried that while online (I think maybe you are the CAG with offline laptop). I think some of the confusion stems from gamersgate not using a uniform deployment system. I recall that when I downloaded the D&D Anthology I simply got folder with the installer files (no such "launch" file).

#402 Rockopotamus

Rockopotamus

My riffs are bottomless.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

Did some looking around and I found something out. The reason my IT folder has "launch.exe" instead of "setup.exe" is because I did the option to save the installation files after installation rather than copying them over during it. You have to do it when the game's installation starts or else it won't be decrypted. This thread may interest you, specifically the fourth post.

Edit: Ninja'd! :)

#403 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

Ah yes, when poking around for info on my issue, I had seen it written that supposedly that "launch" file is encrypted by gamersgate and is run by the downloader after an online key-check. I had no luck either changing it to "launch.exe". I can run the TQ installer by running the downloader again (I kept my temp files). Maybe try that...

I would note that I tried that while online (I think maybe you are the CAG with offline laptop). I think some of the confusion stems from gamersgate not using a uniform deployment system. I recall that when I downloaded the D&D Anthology I simply got folder with the installer files (no such "launch" file).

Yeah, that's exactly the conclusion I came to. And yes, I'm the idiot with a broken laptop.

I guess I'll just wait to see what GG support says. I doubt they can do anything, eh.

bZ2g3eF.png

#404 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

Did some looking around and I found something out. The reason my IT folder has "launch.exe" instead of "setup.exe" is because I did the option to save the installation files after installation rather than copying them over during it. You have to do it when the game's installation starts or else it won't be decrypted. This thread may interest you, specifically the fourth post.

Edit: Ninja'd! :)

So the idea is to run the downloader, launch the installer, and then copy the launch file to somewhere else while the setup is running because it will be decrypted at that moment in time? It seems like you can't move files while they're open and being used anyways, so I don't quite understand that.

In any case, I tried to run the downloader again, and since I changed the launch file manually to an exe file, the downloader decided that it needed to redownload the entire thing again, so I'm waiting yet again...

EDIT: I suppose you can copy something without moving it; my brain wasn't working. I think I understand now.

bZ2g3eF.png

#405 Rockopotamus

Rockopotamus

My riffs are bottomless.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

So the idea is to run the downloader, launch the installer, and then copy the launch file to somewhere else while the setup is running because it will be decrypted at that moment in time? It seems like you can't move files while they're open and being used anyways, so I don't quite understand that.

In any case, I tried to run the downloader again, and since I changed the launch file manually to an exe file, the downloader decided that it needed to redownload the entire thing again, so I'm waiting yet again...

EDIT: I suppose you can copy something without moving it; my brain wasn't working. I think I understand now.

Haha, no worries. Glad you got it figured out now. On the bright side, now I know that the keep files option won't work and I can provide more information for the FAQ.

I know it sucks but it's circumvented easily enough once you figure it out. GG is still less restrictive than other places, including the big names. They can't all handle DRM like GOG does, unfortunately. ;)

#406 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

Gamersgate does a funny thing w/ setup and EXE installs.

It unpacks all set-up files and everything, when it's done using the GG downloader/installer...
And then prepares for the real install of the actual game w/ the installer the dev's/publisher gave them.
Don't do the install yet - let the install screen sit there.

Check your game folder w/ the Temps then - EVERYTHING is there.
COPY Your GG Temp folder w/ the setup.exe and install files SOMEWHERE else THEN, before you install your game.
KEEP THIS!! You won't need GG or to be online to install, if you copy this folder at THIS time somewhere else and then give it a DIFFERENT folder name.

GG DESTROYS the installer-setup-EXE right after it's done installing, when it's in its usual GG-recognized folder!
i.e. ...Gamersgate temporary folder\[game number recognized by Gamersgate]

Edited by MysterD, 08 August 2012 - 01:04 AM.

#407 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:15 AM

Gamersgate does a funny thing w/ setup and EXE installs.

It unpacks all set-up files and everything, when it's done using the GG downloader/installer...
And then prepares for the real install of the actual game w/ the installer the dev's/publisher gave them.
Don't do the install yet - let the install screen sit there.

Check your game folder w/ the Temps then - EVERYTHING is there.
COPY Your GG Temp folder w/ the setup.exe and install files SOMEWHERE else THEN, before you install your game.
KEEP THIS!! You won't need GG or to be online to install, if you copy this folder at THIS time somewhere else and then give it a DIFFERENT folder name.

GG DESTROYS the installer-setup-EXE right after it's done installing, when it's in its usual GG-recognized folder!
i.e. ...Gamersgate temporary folder\[game number recognized by Gamersgate]

Yup, I've got it now. I'm glad there's a loophole to get around it (seems to be working now).

bZ2g3eF.png

#408 Shrowd

Shrowd

Gaming Dad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

Just discovered this thread, my wallet is really going to hate me now. :)

#409 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:38 AM

Yup, I've got it now. I'm glad there's a loophole to get around it (seems to be working now).

Exactly.

GG's downloader-installer basically runs its process ON TOP of the setup file that the dev/publisher provided them, basically.
You have to use GG's downloader-installer the first time you do the game's download and install.
Got no choice there, really.

But, once you have copied and renamed the entire GG Temp folder of yours w/ the setup-installer-EXE unpacked in there, you'll only need to run that file and it'll do its thing, from now on.
And the installer-EXE should remain after install, too.
KEEP THIS!

#410 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

Now I'm just figuring out how to get the 1.7 fanpatch and AllSkins 0.8 mod (allows to change the character's looks I suppose) to run nicely. :)

(The fanpatch includes AllSkins mod, but not the separate meshes.)

bZ2g3eF.png

#411 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

But, once you have copied and renamed the entire GG Temp folder of yours w/ the setup-installer-EXE unpacked in there, you'll only need to run that file and it'll do its thing, from now on.
And the installer-EXE should remain after install, too.
KEEP THIS!

Thanks! That is what I had done 6 months ago with the D&D Anthology (my first gamersgate purchase) because I was afraid it would wipe the files post-install... I guess I never considered that they would have such an inane scheme of re-encrypting post-install. Not bad though =) just a hair below Direct2Drive & Amazon's installer files + serial.

BTW thanks a lot for your input on Sacred 2.

#412 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:38 AM

The way I've made copies of all of my installs so I don't have to download them again is this:

1. When you finish downloading the game it will ask you if you want to install, click yes, but continue no further. Allowing the gamersgate installer to open allows it to decrypt the game installer (setup.exe)

2. Navigate to where the Gaersgate Temp folder is (usually Desktop, unless you changed the path).

3. There will be some random numbered folder there (It's much easier if you install one game at a time so that you instantly know what game it is. For this reason if there is more than one folder, kill the installer and delete all files then start over).

4. copy the random numbered folder (3345, etc.) and rename it to the game that the gamergate installer just downloaded and is now trying to run.

5. Now either A: kill the gamersgate installer and install from your new copy to make sure it works (using the setup.exe that will now stay in that folder, when you close the gamergate installer it re-encrypts the exe causing it to "disappear" from the original folder with the random name. OR B: let the gamersgate installer finish installing the game and when asked whether you want to keep the temp files or not after install, select No, and it will delete them (leaving your new copy of the folder intact).

6. You can rerun setup anytime without having to have an internet connection (NOTE: I don't personally have anything from GamerGate that isn't DRM Free to begin with, I don't use their client (if they have one, other than the downloader/installer, and only then to copy the install folder after it decrypts the setup.exe.

I hope that helps, if I understood the problem, if not, then I hope it helps someone.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#413 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:10 AM

The way I've made copies of all of my installs so I don't have to download them again is this:

1. When you finish downloading the game it will ask you if you want to install, click yes, but continue no further. Allowing the gamersgate installer to open allows it to decrypt the game installer (setup.exe)

2. Navigate to where the Gaersgate Temp folder is (usually Desktop, unless you changed the path).

3. There will be some random numbered folder there (It's much easier if you install one game at a time so that you instantly know what game it is. For this reason if there is more than one folder, kill the installer and delete all files then start over).

4. copy the random numbered folder (3345, etc.) and rename it to the game that the gamergate installer just downloaded and is now trying to run.

5. Now either A: kill the gamersgate installer and install from your new copy to make sure it works (using the setup.exe that will now stay in that folder, when you close the gamergate installer it re-encrypts the exe causing it to "disappear" from the original folder with the random name. OR B: let the gamersgate installer finish installing the game and when asked whether you want to keep the temp files or not after install, select No, and it will delete them (leaving your new copy of the folder intact).

6. You can rerun setup anytime without having to have an internet connection (NOTE: I don't personally have anything from GamerGate that isn't DRM Free to begin with, I don't use their client (if they have one, other than the downloader/installer, and only then to copy the install folder after it decrypts the setup.exe.

I hope that helps, if I understood the problem, if not, then I hope it helps someone.

Looks like you didn't read the last page of posts, lol. Yes though, that's exactly how I solved the problem. :)

bZ2g3eF.png

#414 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:30 AM

Thanks! That is what I had done 6 months ago with the D&D Anthology (my first gamersgate purchase) because I was afraid it would wipe the files post-install... I guess I never considered that they would have such an inane scheme of re-encrypting post-install. Not bad though =) just a hair below Direct2Drive & Amazon's installer files + serial.

BTW thanks a lot for your input on Sacred 2.

You're welcome. :)

#415 TripJack

TripJack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

whoops

ww2 shooter hint was for red orchestra not brothers in arms

#416 Umair56

Umair56

CHINA DON'T CARE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

Already picked up RO2 from GMG with 25% and a couple games traded in to bring it to around $2. Nothing for me.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/umair56
Umair56 on Origin, PSN, Battle.net, etc etc

#417 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Oooh, RO2 Digital Deluxe is only $5.30 after IGN discount. And I paid $7.50 for it during the summer steam sale :( I think the only difference with this and the steam version is steam has the bonus TF2 hats, but I don't really play TF2 to care about those. Oh well.

#418 measureless

measureless

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

Wow, I wish I read all this uploader nonsense before. I had my installation of Arcania fail somehow (folder was there, no files) and had to redownload the entire thing again. I'm capped at 800kb/s so it took quite a while. =/

Posted Image

#419 NEO CRIMS0N

NEO CRIMS0N

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

How long does it usually take to get the verification email to validate you are the user of your email account? I've been waiting for days now, even asked for another email but still I got nothing! At this rate, I'm going to miss out on all the good deals!

#420 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

How long does it usually take to get the verification email to validate you are the user of your email account? I've been waiting for days now, even asked for another email but still I got nothing! At this rate, I'm going to miss out on all the good deals!

I couldn't say the current time, but when I signed up in February I don't recall any real delay (grabbed a sale in time then). Have you checked your spam bin?