GamersGate Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7798 replies to this topic

#91 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

So it sounds like VOID is kinda like a lending library for games. One supported by advertisements, that is. Is that about right?

That's what I get from it. Sounds like something a true CAG should embrace, but the hoardacag in me like to own :) I will likely try it since it is free though. Anyone have a list of games it has?

I have a handful of leftover July Madness Bundles - PM if interested

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#92 Rockopotamus

Rockopotamus

My riffs are bottomless.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

That's what I get from it. Sounds like something a true CAG should embrace, but the hoardacag in me like to own :) I will likely try it since it is free though. Anyone have a list of games it has?

There's a full list here. Found a direct link using Google so not sure who to give credit.

#93 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

Thanks

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#94 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:58 AM

Wait Black Mirror is on that list. As in Black Mirror 1?

steam_sig.png

#95 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

I was wondering the same thing? Nice list of games actually.

#96 Rockopotamus

Rockopotamus

My riffs are bottomless.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

Correct.

#97 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

I just received an email from Gamersgate. They have a program called VOID. You activate your VOID account. You then find a game part of the VOID catalog. You add it to one of your VOID slots.

You install the game. When launching the game you watch 60 secs of videos then you're off to your game, never bothered again. They say this supports the devs. You can keep the game forever or you can remove it and replace it with another VOID game.

Remember FREE is ALWAYS Good :)

http://www.gamersgate.com/void

#98 simpsonps121

simpsonps121

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Nice set of games. Crusaders, Kings Bounty.... Nice job!

#99 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

Just a note that VOID is out of beta and live now.

I'm downloading Black Mirror now to see if it will run under Windows 7. The box copy reportedly does not.

steam_sig.png

#100 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Some decent games on that list. I may have to try it out after all.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#101 sleepydumbdude

sleepydumbdude

MASHED POTATOES!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

THanks going to try out Dark Void.

#102 NEP

NEP

Oogaboogabooga

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Interesting.

#103 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Just a note that VOID is out of beta and live now.

I'm downloading Black Mirror now to see if it will run under Windows 7. The box copy reportedly does not.

I'm doing the exact same thing. Connection keeps being reset though, I assume their servers are getting blasted right now.

#104 Lemarfanz

Lemarfanz

Video Games Are Art!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

interesting indeed...
I LOVE INDIE GAMES!

I SUPPORT THEM WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

#105 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Black Mirror refuses to boot after the ads are done, I got an error message with agds.exe just saying it's stopped responding, deleting that program just causes the same blind crash after the ads without the error message. I'm running Win7 64 bit, tried Win XP compatibility mode, no dice. Also, the support site listed in the readme doesn't exist anymore.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#106 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

So I got Black Mirror to work for me with XP compatibility mode and run as admin on the Bmirror.exe file (not the agds.exe).

It does run okay for me. you can't see the option to save until you hover over the upper right corner in the black space just above the top right of the viewable area. Then a little gears icon shows up and if you click on that it takes you to a menu to save.

Without the compatibility mode it still ran for me but the icons above and below to save and use items would not show even when hovered over.

I found that although I can edit the agds.cfg to change the resolution, it crashes on 1920x1080 after the ads are done and 1024x768 runs but the main character is oddly very tiny. It seems the game pretty much has to run at 800x600.

I'm not really sure what else it different about my Win7 64 setup than what you are running Walksonshadows that is making it work for me. Like I said it did work even before compatibility mode for me it was just that the hover over icons weren't showing.

steam_sig.png

#107 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

So I got Black Mirror to work for me with XP compatibility mode and run as admin on the Bmirror.exe file (not the agds.exe).

It does run okay for me. you can't see the option to save until you hover over the upper right corner in the black space just above the top right of the viewable area. Then a little gears icon shows up and if you click on that it takes you to a menu to save.

Without the compatibility mode it still ran for me but the icons above and below to save and use items would not show even when hovered over.

I found that although I can edit the agds.cfg to change the resolution, it crashes on 1920x1080 after the ads are done and 1024x768 runs but the main character is oddly very tiny. It seems the game pretty much has to run at 800x600.

I'm not really sure what else it different about my Win7 64 setup than what you are running Walksonshadows that is making it work for me. Like I said it did work even before compatibility mode for me it was just that the hover over icons weren't showing.

I have windows 7 and I just ran it fine with no tweaking or errors at all. I DLed it, the installed, then it asked me to run it. It ran straight from the agds.exe, loaded, played, and then once it loaded to the first exploration area I just hovered above and below the screen and saw both the items and gears and was able to quit the game with no issue.

#108 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Mods can you merge this thread with the Gamersgate thread? :bouncy:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=319760

#109 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

I got it to run perfectly by downloading a patch for the agds.exe file after googling Black Mirror Patch. It's technically a no-CD patch for the exe's. I don't see how that makes it a crack, since the video ads are still paying before the game launches, thoughts?

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

#110 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

I got it to run perfectly by downloading a patch for the agds.exe file after googling Black Mirror Patch. It's technically a no-CD patch for the exe's. I don't see how that makes it a crack, since the video ads are still paying before the game launches, thoughts?

It's a free game and you are still seeing the ads they want you to see so I honestly don't see the harm. It's not like anyone is losing money or you circumvented the ads.

steam_sig.png

#111 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

It's a free game and you are still seeing the ads they want you to see so I honestly don't see the harm. It's not like anyone is losing money or you circumvented the ads.

Yep, I'd blame them for making it so glitchy. Hyped to be able to play this for free and then move on to 2 and 3.

Liking their free service so far. Lots of adventure games that I have been interested in playing and free is the best price.

#112 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm reading there is a major game ending bug in Chapter 2 (people complaining about it at the same time as the game start up glitch), as far as I can tell this is the v1.0 version of the game (version info file says 1 Black Mirror when opened in notepad). but there is a patch out for the Chapter 2 bug that brings it to v1.2. I'm still hunting it down, if anyone beats me to it, post here. Btw the patch I applied didn't touch the actual BMirror.exe, only agds.exe, and data.adb files.

Also, there is a huge amount of potential for a service like this, this business model is genius, and yet it's been done in TV and radio for decades, never thought about applying it to video games, and even then they've managed to stock great games, not reliant on older titles. Looking good.

#113 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

Agreed. It seems like a decent service. Free is free so nothing to complain about there.

There selection is a bit better than I would have thought too. I know there were a number of people hoping for a super cheap sale on Risen 1 when the second game came out, which really didn't happen, but now it's on VOID so that's even better.

steam_sig.png

#114 sleepydumbdude

sleepydumbdude

MASHED POTATOES!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Odd choice of commercials, my first one was for world of warcraft cataclysm which had the release date of december of 2010.

#115 DaShaka

DaShaka

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I like free games..... in for some.

#116 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Found this for the Chapter 2 bug in Black Mirror, they also responded with the same answer on the Gamersgate forums.

You have to rename tha file "mejerk.chr" to "majerk.chr" in your game directory! Or if you already have a file named "majerk.chr" just delete the other file named "mejerk.chr"

The default install from the Void service has all the files mentioned above, have not made it to Chapter 2 to test yet. Supposedly it's a problem related to video cards when it tries to render the rain at a certain point.

#117 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

This service isn't making me want to buy any large games on GamersGate that aren't redeemable on Steam. Twice now my download speed has gone down to 0 kB/s and sat there for a few minutes. When I pause and unpause it starts back up. I assume it isn't resuming the file that it lost connection during, because the first time I had to redownload ~200 mb. Just now I lost 1.2 GB.

The only ISPs available to me have data caps, and the last couple of months I've been within 8 GB of hitting mine. Redownloading 1.5 GB may not be a big deal, but it has the potential to be.

#118 NightmareSage

NightmareSage

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

There's some interesting stuff here. May just have to check it out

#119 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

This service isn't making me want to buy any large games on GamersGate that aren't redeemable on Steam. Twice now my download speed has gone down to 0 kB/s and sat there for a few minutes. When I pause and unpause it starts back up. I assume it isn't resuming the file that it lost connection during, because the first time I had to redownload ~200 mb. Just now I lost 1.2 GB.

The only ISPs available to me have data caps, and the last couple of months I've been within 8 GB of hitting mine. Redownloading 1.5 GB may not be a big deal, but it has the potential to be.

I had the same problem, but it finally caught on a steady connection and DLed everything. My assumption is being this just launched (though it's been beta) they probably have a ton of people trying to connect (launched on a holiday in the states) so hopefully once the demand normalizes the connection problems will go away.

I already ran into a brief bug in BM, audio cut off and went static for a few seconds. Good thing I wasn't using headphones.

The save system is a bit odd, you have to click a save spot then start typing then press enter. But the cursors don't change appropriately to indicate this whole process.

Edit:

Well unfortunately I've had the static issue pop up 3 times now, and the static is louder than the game by a lot so I would not recommend headphones when playing. The game also just crashed completely in the first chapter.

Double Edit:

Well the game was crashing every time I tried to go to the stable outside in the garden. Read online to try running it under Windows 98 Compatibility mode and did so and was able to try to go to the stables without the game crashing. Still having the static issues, so I will try to find a solution for that.

Edited by CheapLikeAFox, 28 May 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#120 bassec

bassec

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Anyone found a way around the internet explorer mandatory install? I haven't had IE on my computer in years.