CrimsonTribe

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

Procedure to decrypt and backup GamersGate Game Setup Files:

[guide]

If I didn't explain this well, here's another guide (on GOG of all places):
http://www.gog.com/f..._launch_f/post1

Yes you can! You need to be able to log into your account to download the files, though, so I would suggest doing so as soon as possible. Once you have downloaded the files, you need to click "install" but DO NOT ACTUALLY INSTALL THE GAME -- merely leave the installer active. This will de-encrypt the setup file and keep it de-encrypted (once you install the game, it re-encrypts the setup file and renames it to something like "launcher"). All you have to do now is copy the entire downloaded folder to a new directory (i.e. on an external hard drive) and voila! Instant backup for your install files with no need to log into anything. I've done this with about 30 games that I've downloaded through GamersGate and have never had an issue with it.

EDIT: Ah, Walkonshadows beat me to it.

Thanks, this is extremely helpful!

Workin on it

#2672 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

How can this be?? They are out of keys for it but Doom 3 bfg is on the daily deals??

http://www.gamersgat...m-3-bfg-edition

This is starting to stink, badly.

It stinks for a reason. Bull$#!^ usually does.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#2673 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

Hmmmm, mostly TL:DR, but a lot of melodrama here.

Personally, I know these types of things are glitches and order them with the hope they go through, but if they don't, get reversed/refunded then it's whatever to me. I usually don't waste too much of my time placing an order (though these recent glitches sure took a long time for some people) so if it gets cancelled then it's not that big of a deal.

GG definitely messed up and it's their own fault for their crappy site/system/database, but then you've got resellers and slickdealers who exploited the crap out of this which essentially ruined it for everyone. Before they honored the glitches likely because they just took the loss, but with Bethesda I'd think they had 1000s of orders and the same amount for the Borderlands 2 thing.

#2674 tfr

tfr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

http://www.change.or...lands-2-4pack-2

:lol: it seems like people from all over the world bought from them

#2675 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

Hmmmm, mostly TL:DR, but a lot of melodrama here.

Personally, I know these types of things are glitches and order them with the hope they go through, but if they don't, get reversed/refunded then it's whatever to me. I usually don't waste too much of my time placing an order (though these recent glitches sure took a long time for some people) so if it gets cancelled then it's not that big of a deal.

GG definitely messed up and it's their own fault for their crappy site/system/database, but then you've got resellers and slickdealers who exploited the crap out of this which essentially ruined it for everyone. Before they honored the glitches likely because they just took the loss, but with Bethesda I'd think they had 1000s of orders and the same amount for the Borderlands 2 thing.

This. Was going to stay out of this but, then again, I'm not one to mind who I offend. That said there are a couple of categories here:

1) If you bought one of these glitched deals, were able to redeem a few of the keys on Steam and/or sell them, and got a refund you should pretty well cease all complaining because, congratulations, you got free games. Free triple AAA fairly current release games that generally retail (even on sales) upwards of $20-$30.

2) If you bought one of these glitched deals, were able to redeem and keep/sell a few keys but didn't get a refund... okay I can sort of see why you'd be a bit upset.

3) If you bought one of the glitched deals, couldn't get any keys, and didn't get a refund, yeah you should be pissed.

#2676 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

Now I'm not in the #1 category for the record but

...congratulations, you got free games...

People keep saying this, but I'm not convinced they won't have the keys revoked somehow. I can't imagine they would refund people for already activated keys for fairly expensive games without at least attempting to get those keys back.

Now I admit it's going to be a real tough sell to Bethesda but even so I don't think anyone should consider that they are completely out of the woods just yet.

steam_sig.png

#2677 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

I will give you it's a wait and see proposition on that one but I would be amazed if they started yanking keys from Steam. That would open a huge can of worms re: digital games and 'ownership' -- shit you better believe Bethesda, 2K, and Valve don't want visited on a large scale, in the media, the court of public opinion, etc.

Suffice to say that, as of now and without knowing more, anyone who has actually gotten a refund should probably stop with the hand wringing.

#2678 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

http://www.change.or...lands-2-4pack-2

:lol: it seems like people from all over the world bought from them

UGH!! 365 people from around the world signed this with typos! :roll:

Sheesh!

#2679 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

There were a lot of people splitting packs to. If their keys get revoked, the sellers are obligated to refund. But how do they do that if they haven't been refunded? Normally I would be upset with the people who bought multiple copies, but I sat there for 3 hours trying to get that page to load and never could to buy my own pack. A fellow BGCQ offered to split the pack with me, so I stand to lose 5 games. He stands to lose much more. I won't be asking for the money back if revoked, since in this case it was donated to charity. But revoking Steam keys would set a dangerous precedent. How many people have already bought dlc for those games?

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

#2680 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

I stopped paying attention after all the snide comments about suing GG. What's the general outlook on gifted bundles? Any decisive evidence been posted here or on reddit yet? Two people are asking me what's going to happen to the games in their account.

#2681 jrodri86

jrodri86

Meh, i'll wait to get it for a cheaper price.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

This. Was going to stay out of this but, then again, I'm not one to mind who I offend. That said there are a couple of categories here:

1) If you bought one of these glitched deals, were able to redeem a few of the keys on Steam and/or sell them, and got a refund you should pretty well cease all complaining because, congratulations, you got free games. Free triple AAA fairly current release games that generally retail (even on sales) upwards of $20-$30.

2) If you bought one of these glitched deals, were able to redeem and keep/sell a few keys but didn't get a refund... okay I can sort of see why you'd be a bit upset.

3) If you bought one of the glitched deals, couldn't get any keys, and didn't get a refund, yeah you should be pissed.

Thing is i don't want a refund i just want the two missing keys from my library that they promised me were going to be available on January and the right to keep my games.

Tretton.png

#2682 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

I stopped paying attention after all the snide comments about suing GG. What's the general outlook on gifted bundles? Any decisive evidence been posted here or on reddit yet? Two people are asking me what's going to happen to the games in their account.

Nobody knows, hence the snide comments.

*Edit: Gamersgate posted a statement and while vague that's all we know for now. Basically we have to wait until next week apparently to hear any more now.

http://www.gamersgat...iday-sale-issue

*Edit2: I noticed they corrected the "bare with us" to "bear with us" ;)

steam_sig.png

#2683 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

Okay so ask them to clarify their deliberately vaguely worded statement. And good luck getting a response.

Plus what you are saying basically amounts to 'So, uh, Bethesda, we kind of screwed up on our pricing and want you to give us money back/cut us a deal'.

You can imagine what their reaction might be...

Yeah, I really don't know how that conversation would go, which was kind of my point.

I think it's fair to harbor some mistrust for a company that hasn't always been forthcoming with their plans.

76561197971332172.png

#2684 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

Well, I helped some CAGs get BL2 at cost and from what I know their keys worked. That said, if they get revoked they will get their money back when I get refunded by GG. But I sold them at cost, so I can see it maybe being a different situation for the people who sold for profit. So far the only order they have refunded me is the Ghost Recon FW one, but I paid with Blue Coins. From my understanding it takes a while to process refunds through paypal.

Either their whole system is automated and indeed they can't help me or they don't want to deal with the Bethesda pack stuff anymore.

The ticket I sent December 22

Spoiler

This is the response I got today

Spoiler

And they closed the ticket, at this point I'm not sure about what should I do since my order is still marked as Complete/Paid and I was able to retrieve all my keys.

From what I read, you did your best to try to pay them for what you got, they tell you they basically have no way for you to pay them outside of ordering something from them through their site. You did the right thing. I would just enjoy your games and let it go. If say 6 months from now you still have your keys and feel the need to make things right by karma, just shop at GG and repay em that way.

Thing is i don't want a refund i just want the two missing keys from my library that they promised me were going to be available on January and the right to keep my games.

Out of curiosity what games did you get and what games are you waiting for? I'm different in that if I got maybe Dishonored and Skyrim for $30 and they end up never giving me two other random keys I would call it a draw and move on.

#2685 nategator

nategator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

It's a sad day when some CAGers are rushing to the defense of "permanent discount" GamersGate.

Steam Keys for sale:

SotS Complete Collection (does not inc. SotS II) $4 Paypal

#2686 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

In their defense, I'm always screwing that one up too.

Oh and I've finished all the non-1C games and I'm now working on the big 1C pack. But there's 86 games in that pack. So 3 hours into this, I'm still in the "C's". This is gonna take all weekend. :(

#2687 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

But... if you get a refund you can just take that money and buy (assuming you just don't want them to resell) the games elsewhere (again assuming they don't yank the keys you already redeemed). Guessing you'd still come out ahead. Especially if we're talking about the Bethesda pack and those two games aren't Dishonored and Skyrim.

It's a sad day when some CAGers are rushing to the defense of "permanent discount" GamersGate.

I won't defend GG, it's a pretty broken operation but I do think some people here are being overly dramatic.

#2688 nategator

nategator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

But... if you get a refund you can just take that money and buy the games elsewhere (again assuming they don't yank the keys you already redeemed). Guessing you'd still come out ahead. Especially if we're talking about the Bethesda pack and those two gamers aren't Dishonored and Skyrim.

Why do you care Mooby?

Steam Keys for sale:

#2689 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

In their defense, I'm always screwing that one up too.

Oh and I've finished all the non-1C games and I'm now working on the big 1C pack. But there's 86 games in that pack. So 3 hours into this, I'm still in the "C's". This is gonna take all weekend. :(

The End, just keep going til you reach The End, just keep going til you reach The End, just keep going til you reach The End, just keep going til you reach The End, just keep going til you reach The End, just keep going til you reach The End, just keep going til you reach The End, just keep going til you reach The End, just keep going til you reach The End .....

Yes, it's late and I did think that was funny. :)

#2690 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

Why do you care Mooby?

Why do you care that I care? I'm stating an opinion. I'd find it laughable if someone were angry if: 1) They got all their keys but say... FO3 and Rogue Warrior, 2) They get to keep the keys they redeemed, and 3) they get the pack fully refunded.

#2691 nategator

nategator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

Why do you care that I care? I'm stating an opinion.

Because just glancing at the last few pages your opinions look like they are designed to upset people who might be nervous about their keys getting revoked.

And I don't think that's a cool thing to do. Some folks might have purchased a key from another CAGer and won't know if their money will be refunded. Others might have sold some keys, relying on GG twitter statements, and are concerned that they will have to unwind those trades somehow.

Additional statement you added

I'd find it laughable if someone were angry if: 1) They got all their keys but say... FO3 and Rogue Warrior, 2) They get to keep the keys they redeemed, and 3) they get the pack fully refunded.

Which proves my point. If you are just here to find stuff laughable at others' expense, then you're trolling.

I gotta run for awhile, so I've said my peace. I encourage you to rethink some of the stuff you are doing on this thread. Thanks!

Steam Keys for sale:

#2692 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

You're reading things into my statements that aren't there. I've also qualified everything I've said with the assumption that no redeemed keys will be pulled on more than one occasion.

I encourage you to rethink some of the stuff you are doing on this thread. Thanks!

Not going to happen. If all the conditions I laid out are met and people still complain then, yes, objectively speaking they are being overly dramatic and, yes, it would be laughable. They'd essentially be complaining about receiving $40ish in free Steam keys versus $50ish in free Steam keys. If it's 'trolling' to think that then so be it. And, again (despite the fact that I've clarified it multiple times) none of those 'laughable' comments are directed at people who have yet to receive a refund. As I've already stated: if people haven't received a refund they have every right to be upset.

Edited by Mooby, 29 December 2012 - 04:27 AM.

#2693 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

... I'd find it laughable if someone were angry if... They got all their keys but say... FO3 and Rogue Warrior...

I don't care, I WANT MY DAMN GAMES, MOOBY!!! :)

You're reading things into my statements that aren't there. I've also qualified everything I've said with the assumption that no redeemed keys will be pulled.

I also highly doubt that any keys will be revoked. It's too much of a hassle for all parties involved. Of course, GamersGate would probably go to great lengths, I'm not sure the others would. Also, why the hell would Steam or Bethesda work to resolve a mistake that was made on GamersGate's behalf? Rhetorical question, please don't answer it..!

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#2694 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

Knife to the throat!

#2695 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:14 AM

Let's get naked with some Swedish gals!

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#2696 PenguinJim

PenguinJim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

This thread has had a very sad day in general. So much hatred and so many people expecting everything to be resolved within a few hours. Just because we live at our computers 24/7 doesn't mean that the rest of the world does (i.e. "normal people"). Refunds sometimes take a few days.

A lot of people have made out like bandits over these pricing mistakes, and cheap reselling of excess keys in the CAG Steam Buy/Sell thread means lots of CAGs now have ridiculously cheap copies of those games, but some people didn't get the deal in time and are now screaming lawsuit instead of easy come easy go. Wasn't it Commander William Riker who said "Sometimes you get the deal, and sometimes the deal gets you"?

If GG are going to remove games from our Steam libraries, no-one will ever use them again (I know people still use GreenmanGaming, but those seem to have been isolated incidents). We can give them a few working days to get our refunds (mine's popped through now), and we can see what compensation they give us. We can avoid using them ever again if we're not happy with our net gain/loss and our (mis)treatment.

Meanwhile, order some of these and PM me your details, as I'm taking Staples to court.

#2697 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

Spoiler

And I though those Svedes where just trying to put a friendly spin on it.

So far the only order they have refunded me is the Ghost Recon FW one, but I paid with Blue Coins. From my understanding it takes a while to process refunds through paypal.

Interesting. I got in the GR:FS deal too. I paid in blue coins (iirc) from my Beth packs. Emails have addressed the Beth pack and BL2, but didn't mention GR:FS or Anal Wake: Amerikan Nightmare. I bought my first Beth pack with Blue Coins (and redeemed all but FO3, FO"NV, TES3, TES4 which I already owned) and I bought my second Beth pack via paypal (unkeyed, force refunded).

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#2698 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

I paid 0 for the IGN discount and over the life of it I saved probably $15 to $30 so they've done good by me. They've honored every other glitch they made before this whole fiasco, their customer service was always responsive to me, and they had the best price, even before discount for a ton of stuff. So yeah, to me they've been a pretty good retailer site.

But yeah, they did mess up. I don't think it was intentional. And they did try to make right by it at first, but it got to a point they couldn't honor the glitch without hurting as a company so they are having to do this.

Edit:
Re GR: FW - I got no notice of refund or anything like that and the game is still listed in my shelf, but when I check my order history I see that order marked as Cancelled and I noticed my blue coins got credited back.

#2699 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

Re GR: FW - I got no notice of refund or anything like that and the game is still listed in my shelf, but when I check my order history I see that order marked as Cancelled and I noticed my blue coins got credited back.

I just checked. The same thing happened to me for GR:FS, however my AW:AN (also with blue coins) wasn't refunded. I would note that no serial ever showed for my on GR:FS while I steamed up my AW:AN key.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#2700 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

I paid 0 for the IGN discount and over the life of it I saved probably $15 to $30 so they've done good by me. They've honored every other glitch they made before this whole fiasco, their customer service was always responsive to me, and they had the best price, even before discount for a ton of stuff. So yeah, to me they've been a pretty good retailer site.

But yeah, they did mess up. I don't think it was intentional. And they did try to make right by it at first, but it got to a point they couldn't honor the glitch without hurting as a company so they are having to do this.

Edit:

I don't remember making an account with this name, wtf?

No, but really, WTF Fox... Where you were a couple of days ago? You said exactly what I've been trying to say. [-(

AND you're in the exact same situation as me regarding GR: FW... I'm gonna have to slap a hoe.

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png