GamersGate Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7798 replies to this topic

#2731 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

A reddit mod for the SteamGameSwap wrote up some good analysis in my opinion on whether the activated keys will get revoked. Here it is for those that are in the same boat:

Spoiler

http://www.reddit.co...e_mindful_when/

Sounds very logical that GG has literally no reason to have such power, it's stupid to think a mere reseller can do that. Furthermore, there is also no reason for Bethesda, or 2K, or any other of the publishers screwed by GG, to be wanting to do that, to convince Valve to help them share some GG insanely bad PR.

Ah well, as I said, I'm not really counting on getting the rest of that pack, I just want this embarrassing affair to be over soon.

#2732 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Looks like another error might be happening. Splinter Cell Conviction for 3.24. Not exactly a barn burner, but hey.

#2733 shrinerr

shrinerr

Now whatcha gon' do wit it?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Conviction went back up to 6.24, or 75%

http://www.gamersgat...3/battlefield-3

BF3 for 11.98, even cheaper than the gamefly sale

#2734 poxi

poxi

something went wrong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Skyrim as a daily deal. They've got to be kidding.

#2735 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Trololololol...

Splinter Cell: Conviction was still showing as $3.24 if you sort the games list by largest discount. Burned the rest of my Blue Coins on it and grabbed the game key tout de suite.

#2736 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

A reddit mod for the SteamGameSwap wrote up some good analysis in my opinion on whether the activated keys will get revoked. Here it is for those that are in the same boat:

Spoiler

http://www.reddit.co...e_mindful_when/

It makes sense for the most part, except that I read accounts of the Dead Island Key revokings that Deep Silver did this themselves and Valve was not informed or involved. I can see it because Steam is setup to give publishers (or indie developers) controll over their keys.

If you bought an indie game and it goes on Steam you can request a key from the dev and sometimes you will get it right away so they create themselves without having to go through Steam.

Also when Tony gets those non-Steamworks Steam keys he gets them from the publisher.

Any publisher or indie developer can create Steam keys at any time for their game. It stands to reason they may have the ability to do the reverse on their own as well, however for obvious reasons this is almost never done because of the huge shitstorm it would stir up getting into the issue of digital rights and ownership on a much larger scale and no sensible publisher wants that.

I think Bethesda and 2K have way more sense than to open that can of worms but I think Gamersgate absolutely would and in fact is currently in the process of trying, but will ultimately (I hope) fail. They are that desperate. And short sighted.

Anyway, what I say and what the reddit guy says and what anyone else says, it's all just something some guy said on the internet. We won't know for sure at least until next week and quite possibly later.

Looks like another error might be happening. Splinter Cell Conviction for 3.24. Not exactly a barn burner, but hey.

Conviction went back up to 6.24, or 75%

http://www.gamersgat...3/battlefield-3

BF3 for 11.98, even cheaper than the gamefly sale

Ridiculous. They need to take their damned site down. This continues to happen on a daily basis and if they don't get it fixed then sooner or later it will hit another high profile game and cause a lot more problems than they already have.

I just noticed that it's showing the "Unfortunately, we are out of serial keys. The developers have been contacted and we will supply keys as soon as they are delivered to us" message for Viking.

They are still selling it btw, at regular price of course.

Now I can't say for 100% if people will get their keys right away if they pay $14.95 for it but I would bet money on it.

Also for the people who said with the Bethesda pack keys 'out of stock' vs still being sold 'Well it was part of a pack' they don't have that excuse with Viking.

Oh when we said we were out of keys we meant we ran out of keys for the people who bought it for less than what we wanted to sell it for.

And permanent doesn't mean permanent.

steam_sig.png

#2737 Shagrath

Shagrath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Trololololol...

Splinter Cell: Conviction was still showing as $3.24 if you sort the games list by largest discount. Burned the rest of my Blue Coins on it and grabbed the game key tout de suite.

Clicked through too quick. Realized it's not Steam. :(

#2738 DarthWoo

DarthWoo

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

It's a pity the consequences their negligence has wrought. I see they have Battlefield 3 for $11ish, and I'd been meaning to get it on PC eventually, but now I can't trust that I'd actually get a key or that they'd just later on say that the price wasn't valid.

#2739 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

70 percent off isn't exactly "OMG price error!" territory.

#2740 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

70 percent off isn't exactly "OMG price error!" territory.

Well Dead Island 75% off (temporarily) yesterday was a mistake so who knows anymore?

steam_sig.png

#2741 DarthWoo

DarthWoo

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

In case I do decide to chance it, is it really the case that getting the Premium service typically costs as much as getting the Premium Edition itself? And Origin-activated games on GG work pretty much the same way as the Steam-activated ones? (Meaning I'm at the mercy of actually getting a key or not)

#2742 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

In case I do decide to chance it, is it really the case that getting the Premium service typically costs as much as getting the Premium Edition itself? And Origin-activated games on GG work pretty much the same way as the Steam-activated ones? (Meaning I'm at the mercy of actually getting a key or not)

If something requires Origin and you get it from GG then yes you need to activate the key on Origin. This was the case with the Command and Conquer pack I have from them.

If it's an older EA game that activates on Origin but doesn't flat out require it then you should still get a download from Gamersgate if you want to do a direct download.

steam_sig.png

#2743 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

To be fair to GamersGate (shudder), the SC: Conviction for $3.24 is the standard edition (84% off) and the $6.25 one is the Deluxe Edition (75% off). I don't think it was a price change so much as them changing which item was featured on the main "dailies" header.

#2744 Jon7

Jon7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yes, buying premium seperately is usually more money. The premium edition of the game goes on sale more often than the service does. And yes, Origin only activated games work just like how Steam ones do.

#2745 DaiMonPaul

DaiMonPaul

On the Fringe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

What I don't understand is why they don't rig their system to automatically hide the "buy" button whenever they change the price on something. They can then take a couple of minutes to click through their price changes, make sure they applied correctly, and then click another button or two to restore the "buy" button. Or, you know, take the entire site down for five minutes every night, put up a "we're changing our sales -- please be patient!" message, and then restore the site once you've checked to make sure there are no major price errors that will bankrupt the company. I'm sure something like this isn't THAT easy to set up, but until they figure out why their system seems to mess up every day, it might be worth the added effort...

#2746 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

What I don't understand is why they don't rig their system to automatically hide the "buy" button whenever they change the price on something. They can then take a couple of minutes to click through their price changes, make sure they applied correctly, and then click another button or two to restore the "buy" button. Or, you know, take the entire site down for five minutes every night, put up a "we're changing our sales -- please be patient!" message, and then restore the site once you've checked to make sure there are no major price errors that will bankrupt the company. I'm sure something like this isn't THAT easy to set up, but until they figure out why their system seems to mess up every day, it might be worth the added effort...

Stop making sense!

;)

steam_sig.png

#2747 PenguinJim

PenguinJim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Stop taking away our great bargains!

;)

#2748 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

After the recent WarZ fiasco on Steam, one thing I can't even once remember reading about from any source was about a key revocation. And the pubs of WarZ were being so abusive of their customers in the forums (removing posts/threads and banning the users), that I cannot imagine they wouldn't have at least attempted their power of key revocation at least once?

And if I am wrong: Then Valve need to re-think this power they give devs/pubs. WarZ showed it's just waiting to be abused.

Well it's a bit different in that people bought WarZ from Steam. The Dead Island keys that were revoked by Deep Silver were obtained from outside of Steam.

I think a publisher can't revoke the keys if they were obtained from a store unless the store consents also. In this particular case I am thinking IF (and this is a big if) both Gamersgate and Bethesda/2K consent they could potentially be revoked.

Now obviously Gamersgate stands to lose a lot financially so it would not shock me if they would consent to this. It would shock me if the publishers do though.

As has been said, it probably will never happen by in my random internet guy with an opinion opinion I think it's at least an outside possibility and I personally won't feel safe until we get further clarification from Gamersgate of their intent. Or if that never happens, which seems likely to me since they like being obtuse, then it will probably be several weeks before I feel like those keys I did register are safe.

Of course this is always just my two cents and worth about that much or less.

steam_sig.png

#2749 Financial Panther

Financial Panther

Qui audet adipiscitur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Gamergate Employee: "Hey look on the bright side, at least guys are finally talking about us and our sale! This thread is almost as active as that Steam one."

Gamergate Employee #2: "You're an idiot and get back to work fixing those price errors you made again !"

#2750 soulkyo

soulkyo

Veterinary Medicine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Have you guys got your refunds from the Bethesda pack? I haven't yet, maybe because I bought it as a gift and gift it to myself. Anyone else with this same problem? I submitted a ticket yesterday.

#2751 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

I think the general consensus is to "wait it out" and see what happens next week.

#2752 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

wow, this is making me actually play Skyrim as much as possible .
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#2753 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Have you guys got your refunds from the Bethesda pack? I haven't yet, maybe because I bought it as a gift and gift it to myself. Anyone else with this same problem? I submitted a ticket yesterday.

I'd advise anyone concerned to tcheck their order history. http://www.gamersgat.../account/orders

My second untouched Beth pack was refunded to paypal with notification. My GR:FS was stealth refunded back to blue coins (paid in blue coins). GR:FS is still on my shelf, never got keyed. Second Beth pack was removed from my shelf.

wow, this is making me actually play Skyrim as much as possible .

Yeah, I am making sure to put a few hours into the big games to (1) try them out figure at what price I'd pay for them if revoked, (2) see how my aging GTX 260 handles them (okay apparently, 30-60 fps @ 1920x1200 and default settings) and (3) establish usage (I wore those shoes jogging, you don't want them back).

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#2754 espy

espy

Original Transported Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Well it's a bit different in that people bought WarZ from Steam. The Dead Island keys that were revoked by Deep Silver were obtained from outside of Steam.

I think a publisher can't revoke the keys if they were obtained from a store unless the store consents also. In this particular case I am thinking IF (and this is a big if) both Gamersgate and Bethesda/2K consent they could potentially be revoked.

Now obviously Gamersgate stands to lose a lot financially so it would not shock me if they would consent to this. It would shock me if the publishers do though.

As has been said, it probably will never happen by in my random internet guy with an opinion opinion I think it's at least an outside possibility and I personally won't feel safe until we get further clarification from Gamersgate of their intent. Or if that never happens, which seems likely to me since they like being obtuse, then it will probably be several weeks before I feel like those keys I did register are safe.

Of course this is always just my two cents and worth about that much or less.

I respect your opinion, mostly because you assert it as your opinion and not fact like a lot of people do.

Some people who follow Steam events like this closely for the past several years have said there have only been 2 cases of mass key revoking, and it was due theft of some kind, never because of a price glitch, so we'll see. I'm optimistic.

#2755 deviousnaraku

deviousnaraku

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I got the refund email from Paypal and GG the first day they went out. Pretty sure I was in the first batch since I also applied the iamaneldergeek coupon to save an additional buck ~ lol. Last night the reverse charges (including the foreign exchange fee) showed up on my CC.

I bought it as a gift and gifted it to myself too. I still have the Bethesda collection and all keys except Fallout 3 and Hunted which weren't available.
Sign up for GreenManGaming using my link and get $2 credit when you spend $2 or more!

#2756 poxi

poxi

something went wrong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

So I'm also posting a report.

Bought two Beth packs. Didn't try to buy Borderlands 2.
First: 10/11, haven't redeemed only Fallout 3, because I've got it from summer sale.
Second: 0/11, untouched, since it took me ~5h to place order and grab those 10 keys.

Level 4 GG account. No e-mail about refund. No refund on PayPal account. The games are still in the shelf.

#2757 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Apparently, today they care to warn you that you won't get any keys right way, yesterday it seems they didn't:

After pulling all the Bethesda bundles and claiming they were out of serial keys, they put Doom 3: BFG Edition on sale yesterday. Since GMG won't accept my Paypal and it already went on sale on steam, Gamersgate looked like my only option to get this game at the sale price. Once I checked out and waited for their system to give me a serial key, I was informed they were all out.
Nowhere on the game's sale page does it mention they are out of keys, and since it was on sale and displayed on their front page I assumed they would be offering keys for the game. My 15 dollars are tied up and now I can't play Doom over the weekend like I had planned.
Today, they have Skyrim on sale for the same price as Steam did. I want to make sure anyone buying it from them because they passed on the Steam sale thinking they would get it as part of the bundle knows what they're in for.

http://www.reddit.co...erial_keys_for/

I have heard (which may be inaccurate) Valve will lock accounts if fraud's involved. For this reason alone, I'd be very careful of going to your payment processor about reversing your payment to GG until you are absolutely certain of GG's and the pub's intentions and solutions.

Everyone has heard that, but it might apply only to stuff bought off Valve, I mean blocking the entire account. Other than that, you gotta ask yourself, if you get your games removed, or keys revoked, but do not receive any kind of monetary refund (blue coins my ass) what kind of fraud are you committing in this case??

#2758 AlexIW

AlexIW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

I bought 2 packs in one order, without any discount. Didn't try to get Borderlands 2.

I redeemed only Skyrim and NV in each of them (fml, didn't want to bother with all their traffic to redeem more stuff).
Nothing got cancelled yet. I'm being optimistic and I hope they'll give me the rest of the serials too eventually... But I kinda doubt that.

I'll get really screwed up if they'll revoke the keys. I sold one of the Skyrim keys.

#2759 nategator

nategator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

I bought a Bethesda bundle, but made no attempt to try and get any serials as I thought it was a mistake that would be refunded.

After it being announced that they'd get keys in January (that my order apparently would be fulfilled, thus I will eventually get keys), I decided to check my account.

I was able to get a Skyrim key, but only a Skyrim key.

So, my experience is, they do have Skyrim keys available and are giving them out to all, EVEN for those that bought the Bethesda Pack a week ago.

Possibly no longer the case today, but was still the case even after everyone who bought the Bethesda Pack had the opportunity to redeem their Skyrim serials.

Huh.

That's the first I heard of them still giving out Skyrim serials to Beth bundle customers. I noticed a couple of days ago people were able to get more BL2 serials after the cutoff but that only lasted about an hour. Did you click the get serial button right after the January tweet, or a few days after that?

Steam Keys for sale:

SotS Complete Collection (does not inc. SotS II) $4 Paypal

#2760 yaynick

yaynick

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

I'd advise anyone concerned to tcheck their order history. http://www.gamersgat.../account/orders

My second untouched Beth pack was refunded to paypal with notification. My GR:FS was stealth refunded back to blue coins (paid in blue coins). GR:FS is still on my shelf, never got keyed. Second Beth pack was removed from my shelf.

Yeah, I am making sure to put a few hours into the big games to (1) try them out figure at what price I'd pay for them if revoked, (2) see how my aging GTX 260 handles them (okay apparently, 30-60 fps @ 1920x1200 and default settings) and (3) establish usage (I wore those shoes jogging, you don't want them back).

Upon checking that, I see that I got two orders of the Bethesda bundle to go through. They've been cancelled since then, but I never got an e-mail to pay for them. I figured none ever went through. Weird. My BL2 purchase is still "completed" although the games disappeared from my shelf. I contacted them about a refund yesterday and hope to hear from them soon...