Demon's Souls (PS3) $11.99 at Amazon

[quote name='Scottly']What's the significance of the servers going down? Not really sure with the multiplayer aspect of the game aside from the fact that you can get hints or something from other people's "souls" where they've died.[/QUOTE]

People can leave messages for others to see, you can see how some people died by looking at their bloodstains, you can summon people to help you, you can be invaded by other players, and it could effect world tendency during times when they're doing special world tendency events.

Good price for masochists and people that hate themselves. Anyone that is buying this based on people saying it's a great game needs to read reviews. It's a cult hit because no one outside the cult will touch it with a 10 foot pole. /warning

Even with the servers shutting down at the end of May, this is still a really good buy. If you own a PS3 then you really should own this game.

I rented it from gamefly and put in 12 hours before my brother ruined my experience with a duplicate glitch for infinite items/money.

I'm sort of glad he did though because it's an extremely bare bones rpg as far as making your character unique goes, there are only 8 sets of armor for each sex in the game and they're all pretty much the same, the class you choose at the start means absolutely nothing after a few hours because every class in the game is the same. The game favors magic by a lot over melee which I also disliked.

I just expected a bit more depth for something I'm supposed to drop 80 hours in so I returned it. For $12 though, it's worth giving it a try.

[quote name='Blaster man']Good price for masochists and people that hate themselves. Anyone that is buying this based on people saying it's a great game needs to read reviews. It's a cult hit because no one outside the cult will touch it with a 10 foot pole. /warning[/QUOTE]

Lazy, crappy gamers that have no interest in a challenge at all would say things like this. The game wasnt really that hard as long as you didnt play like a complete tool. And it sold very well, so plenty of people "touched it."

Sounds wike somebody got der feewimgs hurt by the big bad videogame.

[quote name='SelmaBlair']I rented it from gamefly and put in 12 hours before my brother ruined my experience with a duplicate glitch for infinite items/money.

I'm sort of glad he did though because it's an extremely bare bones rpg as far as making your character unique goes, there are only 8 sets of armor for each sex in the game and they're all pretty much the same, the class you choose at the start means absolutely nothing after a few hours because every class in the game is the same. The game favors magic by a lot over melee which I also disliked.

I just expected a bit more depth for something I'm supposed to drop 80 hours in so I returned it. For $12 though, it's worth giving it a try.[/QUOTE]

Valid gripes, but the experience was more about the gameplay and the world itself. One could also easily say the story is one of the worst in any rpg, but ultimately it brought so much else so well to the table that it overshadowed those faults.

That said Dark Souls is 10 times better.

In retrospect, Demon's Souls is the by far easier than Dark Souls. In Demon's Souls, you would clear an event, and you could return to the Nexus to upgrade your character etc. So the stages are set like this; 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 etc. In Dark Souls, everything is connected as one world. You can't unlock 4-4, and directly spawn in the room before the boss. You have to run through the entire area to get back to the boss. I hope that makes sense. I believe my character is 150 in the original game, and probably 35 or so in the second one.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']In retrospect, Demon's Souls is the by far easier than Dark Souls. In Demon's Souls, you would clear an event, and you could return to the Nexus to upgrade your character etc. So the stages are set like this; 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 etc. In Dark Souls, everything is connected as one world. You can't unlock 4-4, and directly spawn in the room before the boss. You have to run through the entire area to get back to the boss. I hope that makes sense. I believe my character is 150 in the original game, and probably 35 or so in the second one.[/QUOTE]

That's true about Dark Souls, but as you progress through the Dark Souls world you unlock doors, gates and shortcuts that more or less create a quick path from your last bonfire to the boss as if you were spawning in a room next door.

I got my Demon's Souls character up to 141 or so, got my Dark Souls character up to 192 and got 1000/1000 achievements on it.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Lazy, crappy gamers that have no interest in a challenge at all would say things like this. The game wasnt really that hard as long as you didnt play like a complete tool. And it sold very well, so plenty of people "touched it."

Sounds wike somebody got der feewimgs hurt by the big bad videogame.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but some of us have families and children and only have a limited amount of gaming time. I for one would prefer to play a game that I have fun with during the time I have in a day to play games. If you like to be "challenged" (punished) by a game then that's fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a masochist.

Oh and don't be a dick just because someone disagrees with your opinion on a fucking video game.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']That's true about Dark Souls, but as you progress through the Dark Souls world you unlock doors, gates and shortcuts that more or less create a quick path from your last bonfire to the boss as if you were spawning in a room next door.

I got my Demon's Souls character up to 141 or so, got my Dark Souls character up to 192 and got 1000/1000 achievements on it.[/QUOTE]

I totally forgot about the shortcuts etc. It's been a while since I played. I remember the shortcut to the Flamelurker, lol. Keep falling on the wood planks, you'll eventually get there.

Off topic. Did you guys hear that Dark Souls is coming to the PC with new content?

Great price for one of the greatest titles of this gen (IMHO).
If you own a Ps3 and you have not played this yet, I totally recommend to go for it.

Servers are going down on May 31 and with them the possibility to:
1) Leave messages to prevent, help or mislead other players.
2) Bloodstains that show you how other players died in certain places.
3) The invasion of other player world/realm. Here you can invade and try to kill other players.
4) The summoning of other players to help with certain levels and bosses.
5) World Tendency (from white to black and vice versa).

Although this gameplay options are going down with the server, the offline experience is still intact and is one of the greatest out there.
BUT I warn you, this game is HARD, and I mean hard as hell (not CoD Veteran hard or God of War Titan hard)... I mean HARD. It requires patience and ability, this game really makes you learn from every mistake you make.

Demon's Souls is THE game you should play if you are a Ps3 owner, my favorite Ps3 exclusive by far.

[quote name='FerDK']Great price for one of the greatest titles of this gen (IMHO).
If you own a Ps3 and you have not played this yet, I totally recommend to go for it.

Servers are going down on May 31 and with them the possibility to:
1) Leave messages to prevent, help or mislead other players.
2) Bloodstains that show you how other players died in certain places.
3) The invasion of other player world/realm. Here you can invade and try to kill other players.
4) The summoning of other players to help with certain levels and bosses.
5) World Tendency (from white to black and vice versa).

Although this gameplay options are going down with the server, the offline experience is still intact and is one of the greatest out there.
BUT I warn you, this game is HARD, and I mean hard as hell (not CoD Veteran hard or God of War Titan hard)... I mean HARD. It requires patience and ability, this game really makes you learn from every mistake you make.

Demon's Souls is THE game you should play if you are a Ps3 owner, my favorite Ps3 exclusive by far.[/QUOTE]

This game is Ninja Gaiden NES hard

This game (and mgs4) should be issued with every ps3 sold, its not that hard though... The online options aren't really necessary unless you wanted to pvp, the online world tendency events did help with some stuff though but can be done without online.

[quote name='Blaster man']Good price for masochists and people that hate themselves. Anyone that is buying this based on people saying it's a great game needs to read reviews. It's a cult hit because no one outside the cult will touch it with a 10 foot pole. /warning[/QUOTE]

It's not for everybody that's for sure. I didn't like Demon's Souls when I rented it back when I had a PS3, however I loved Dark Souls on my 360 and beat it. Now the game's practically easy...

However to call people out like that for liking it is kinda douchey don't you think? I can respect you for not liking the series so show some respect for people who do. It's a game/series where you need to accept a few things to enjoy it and not everybody has the right mentality for that.

[quote name='JKSonic']

However to call people out like that for liking it is kinda douchey don't you think? I can respect you for not liking the series so show some respect for people who do. It's a game/series where you need to accept a few things to enjoy it and not everybody has the right mentality for that.[/QUOTE]

I second this post.

Personally, I don't like the game. I played up to the first boss (some huge guy on a rampart). Got killed, then had to replay through the last 10 minutes or so just to get back to him and get killed again.

Now, I understand this game is about learning from your mistakes, but the fact they respawn everything when you resurrect at a bonfire is just silly. All this does is test the players patience(which is apparently something people think makes you "hardcore" for having.) I don't think tediousness is the proper way to make a game. Killing those monsters again made me feel like I was grinding in an MMO again, except without any sort of motivation.. the game had already killed my excitement by forcing me to trudge through all these useless skeletons again. Not to mention you lose all your souls when you die, so if you die on a boss and don't beat him your next try you are fucked.

On the positive side, the atmosphere is fantastic and you really do feel like your alone in a desolate world.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Oh damn. There goes the Target Clearance search for some people. Amazon is ferocious, lol!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

that was dark souls at target.

nice, bought this for $16.96 yesterday, just called, and got the $5 credit difference to my account.

amazon is too good to us.

[quote name='Blaster man']Sorry but some of us have families and children and only have a limited amount of gaming time. I for one would prefer to play a game that I have fun with during the time I have in a day to play games. If you like to be "challenged" (punished) by a game then that's fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a masochist.

Oh and don't be a dick just because someone disagrees with your opinion on a fucking video game.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_cJ7z5kdKA&t=5m56s

If you guys are worried about the servers in the US version, just import the UK version from Zavvi. The UK servers aren't going down any time soon - they're being held up by Namco. $20 at Zavvi and part of their Buy 2 select games for $40.

I first played Demon's Souls and died a lot. I got past the first boss. Then struggled bad @ the Tower Knight. Took a long break from it. I ended up playing Dark Souls last Oct. I got hooked again but this time in an open world. I ended up beating it and going back to Demon's Souls since the servers were shutting down. I can tell you the Demon's Souls servers are HOT right now. I'm already on NG+ and should get the Platinum before the end of May.

Just take your time and enjoy a great gaming experience.

Also the Demon's Souls wiki will be your best friend on your adventure in Bolteria.

UMBASA!

[quote name='earvcunanan']If you guys are worried about the servers in the US version, just import the UK version from Zavvi. The UK servers aren't going down any time soon - they're being held up by Namco. $20 at Zavvi and part of their Buy 2 select games for $40.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know if US version saves are compatible with the UK version of the game?

EDIT: Nevermind, the saves are incompatible.

Also the only way to back up your save file is PS+. Since the files are copyrighted there have been players who's hard drives have failed and lost 100+ hour games.

This game's story is ridiculously awesome, they just don't beat you over the head with it. There is so much detail in the way the worlds are designed and what corpses are where.

If you want to read an extensive breakdown of the story and the history of Boletaria, go here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/faqs/62697.

The best theory I read about the game, and it makes a lot of sense to those who've really played this is:
The Crestfallen Warrior at first appearance is somewhat insane, questioning the goodness of the Monumental, but he is also a blue phantom, which means he is supposed to represent another player who has broken into the player's game world. The rest of the characters the player encounters are of their own world. The Crestfallen warrior warns that the player is "falling into their trap" and that to continue on their current path will mean their destruction or their transformation into a Demon. Many of the characters the player encounters are wearing unique equipment, yet copies of this equipment is found on corpses throughout Boletaria, some of which are well hidden. For instance, the rune sword and shield which Ostrava wields belongs to a single, legendary hero. yet a corpse also holding them is found in Latria. A corpse wearing Biorr's armor set is found at the base of Miralda's tower. A corpse wearing Saint's robes (the garb of Urbain) is found in the Valley of Defilement. A corpse wearing Sage's robes (the garb of Freke) is found in another dungeon cell in the Tower of Latria. A corpse hanging from the side of a tower in the Boletarian Place wears Yuria's raggedy robes. The robes and mask of Mephistopheles are found on a corpse in a dungeon cell in the Tower of Latria. A corpse wearing Selen Vinland's dull gold armor is found inside a nearby Giant Slug. Also five named NPCs in the game have the capability to turn into Demons in pure black world tendency. Basically the theory goes that any character which has a matching corpse is a Demon doppelganger which has been placed by the Monumental in an effort to twist the truth and put the player on the path to lull the Old One to sleep. Everyone without a matching corpse is a real person. In this scenario, the Old One is a godlike, benevolent being who rewards those with faith to cast miracles in his name. The Monumental and his doppelgangers spread lies about the nature of the Old One to those who arrive in the Nexus in the hopes that one will defeat the Old One and remove the last obstacle to the Monumental's total control of the world. World Tendency is the Monumental's grip on the outward appearance of the world. As the world becomes more light. the Monumental ability to deceive rises. At pure white, the five named Demons (Satsuki, Rydell, etc.) appear as humans. As the world grows darker, the Monumental's ability to deceive lessens. Powerful black phantom demons which were once invisible, can now be seen by the player. At pure black, the true nature of the five named Demons is revealed.

This game is my favorite game of all time.

As far as the online component goes, it adds to the game, but it is not necessary. You will still get the full experience (except maybe when playing the 3-3 boss) if you play completely offline. You won't be able to get help from other phantoms, but you also won't have to worry about invaders while in body form and it's easier to control world tendency, which is helpful for farming purposes.

I have a huge backlog and just bought Brotherhood so I can't justify grabbing this too. But I've been wanting it to near the $10 mark for some time and might cave.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']This game's story is ridiculously awesome, they just don't beat you over the head with it. There is so much detail in the way the worlds are designed and what corpses are where.

If you want to read an extensive breakdown of the story and the history of Boletaria, go here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/faqs/62697.

The best theory I read about the game, and it makes a lot of sense to those who've really played this is:
The Crestfallen Warrior at first appearance is somewhat insane, questioning the goodness of the Monumental, but he is also a blue phantom, which means he is supposed to represent another player who has broken into the player's game world. The rest of the characters the player encounters are of their own world. The Crestfallen warrior warns that the player is "falling into their trap" and that to continue on their current path will mean their destruction or their transformation into a Demon. Many of the characters the player encounters are wearing unique equipment, yet copies of this equipment is found on corpses throughout Boletaria, some of which are well hidden. For instance, the rune sword and shield which Ostrava wields belongs to a single, legendary hero. yet a corpse also holding them is found in Latria. A corpse wearing Biorr's armor set is found at the base of Miralda's tower. A corpse wearing Saint's robes (the garb of Urbain) is found in the Valley of Defilement. A corpse wearing Sage's robes (the garb of Freke) is found in another dungeon cell in the Tower of Latria. A corpse hanging from the side of a tower in the Boletarian Place wears Yuria's raggedy robes. The robes and mask of Mephistopheles are found on a corpse in a dungeon cell in the Tower of Latria. A corpse wearing Selen Vinland's dull gold armor is found inside a nearby Giant Slug. Also five named NPCs in the game have the capability to turn into Demons in pure black world tendency. Basically the theory goes that any character which has a matching corpse is a Demon doppelganger which has been placed by the Monumental in an effort to twist the truth and put the player on the path to lull the Old One to sleep. Everyone without a matching corpse is a real person. In this scenario, the Old One is a godlike, benevolent being who rewards those with faith to cast miracles in his name. The Monumental and his doppelgangers spread lies about the nature of the Old One to those who arrive in the Nexus in the hopes that one will defeat the Old One and remove the last obstacle to the Monumental's total control of the world. World Tendency is the Monumental's grip on the outward appearance of the world. As the world becomes more light. the Monumental ability to deceive rises. At pure white, the five named Demons (Satsuki, Rydell, etc.) appear as humans. As the world grows darker, the Monumental's ability to deceive lessens. Powerful black phantom demons which were once invisible, can now be seen by the player. At pure black, the true nature of the five named Demons is revealed.

This game is my favorite game of all time.

As far as the online component goes, it adds to the game, but it is not necessary. You will still get the full experience (except maybe when playing the 3-3 boss) if you play completely offline. You won't be able to get help from other phantoms, but you also won't have to worry about invaders while in body form and it's easier to control world tendency, which is helpful for farming purposes.[/QUOTE]

That was a great synopsis. I remember all of those characters. I finished the game four-five times but I don't think I will ever go back for the rest of the trophies. Farming isn't my thing. If you do get all of the trophies though, kudos to you. :applause:

[quote name='LLeopardGGecko']Price went back up :/[/QUOTE]

Naw you just have to select Amazon as the seller.

In for 1, not sure I'll play it much with D3 coming out but the price is right.

Yes! Get it now. Servers will be closing on May 31st. So if you want to play online, get it now. If there was LAN I'd be down for a 2nd copy, but there isn't.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Lazy, crappy gamers that have no interest in a challenge at all would say things like this. The game wasnt really that hard as long as you didnt play like a complete tool. And it sold very well, so plenty of people "touched it."

Sounds wike somebody got der feewimgs hurt by the big bad videogame.[/QUOTE]

You're in the minority. Most people play games to relax and don't have the time (and/or patience) to attempt the same feat ad nauseam. And it sold reasonably well, but not even close to titles such as Skyrim, FF13, and Mass Effect.

to be fair, demon's souls didn't have nearly the amount of mainstream marketing/press coverage that the titles you mentioned received. demon's souls became popular through word of mouth/internet, not paid for ad campaigns. as a result of its success, dark souls was made multiplatform and heavily marketed.

[quote name='bshirk']You're in the minority. Most people play games to relax and don't have the time (and/or patience) to attempt the same feat ad nauseam. And it sold reasonably well, but not even close to titles such as Skyrim, FF13, and Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bshirk']You're in the minority. Most people play games to relax and don't have the time (and/or patience) to attempt the same feat ad nauseam. And it sold reasonably well, but not even close to titles such as Skyrim, FF13, and Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]

You only have to attempt the same feat "ad nauseam" if you suck, which is what I would expect from someone who plays games just to relax (aka easy mode on everything).

because it really matters how good you are at a video game :roll:

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You only have to attempt the same feat "ad nauseam" if you suck, which is what I would expect from someone who plays games just to relax (aka easy mode on everything).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='technicalstylez']because it really matters how good you are at a video game :roll:[/QUOTE]

It does when you're criticizing a game because you suck at it and tellin other people not to play it because you suck at it. :roll:

You probably thought Flower was amazing too because it was so relaxing.

bread's done
Back