New Kmart Clearance Price Drops (YMMV)

• Please log in to reply
4711 replies to this topic

#2761 jerrod11

jerrod11

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

I have personally seen employees mark up clearance items with a handheld scanner, but this was back in 2000 or 2001 or somewhere around that time period. Something could have changed since then and again, this was just for clearance items, not regular ones and I only saw it in the toy department. I am sure you have to be department manager or a higher up to be able to do this. However I doubt Kmart ever bothered to upgrade their POS system's since the 1980's based on how the store operates (they still use manual override sheets at the registers that the employees have to feed into the registers).

Has anyone else been here long enough to remember a toy clearance markup in the fall before the holiday season I believe it was right before the 2001 holiday season? They had toys like original tamagotchi's for 1.50 and then they marked them up to $10-11 each. That is just one specific example. I really wish I would have brought home more of those Tamagotchi. I made a small fortune on them on ebay selling them years later however I could have definitely bought more for the $1.50 price of each one as I only had about 4-5 and there were tons at the store.

I also have another question, do we have any evidence that Kmart is actually restickering games with value stickers? Or are they getting these value games from another source, already pre-stickered? I know in my store that some of the value stickered games still have their original UPC exposed and no other UPC on the package. However the games ring up the value sticker price. Some of these games are ringing up value sticker price, but other people in this thread report that the games are a lower price at their store. There are also other games with a UPC sticker over the original UPC. So this is another thing that makes me want to think that its possible for Kmart employees to change the price in the system.

When I worked at kmart(left in 05/2012) Most Kmart employees do not have the ability to change price in the RMU(hand held scanner). The option to get into it is locked down to specific employees, and if they try to change it it will go to the Store Manager for approval, and then I believe the Regional Manager then has to sign off on it, but can take effect after Store Manager approved. There was also a list of price change requests every day printed out and any non-approved or change attempt for no reason were disciplined if needed.

The ones with the abilities to enter a new price in the RMU are department leads, but like I said have to be approved higher up after change attempt and will not take effect immediately. This is also why when there is a error with items in the AD not scanning correct price that it has to be manually overridden each time normally for atleast the rest of that day until they get proper approval to change.

The clearance items were often not marked and if they were it was just a change in the small stick that showed price, unless they were on the need to go clearance price. The electronics employees receive a print out of new prices and the date they take effect, they do not change the price themselves but Corporate would set it up to be uniform across atleast the region.

The kmart I worked at did not have manual override sheet, they had a simiple popup that required supervisor to come over enter a code, and it was overridden and sped up the process alot the two years i worked there.

Most employees had no idea how to do anything on the RMU that wasn't scanning prices, or location scanning, which was the only things ever taught on them, if anything was trained.

Meaning you shouldn't be worried about employee price fixing

#2762 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

I have found Sears to be pretty uniform with pricing, when someone on here reported a 3DS for $99.97, I was able to print a barcode for the system and scan it at a couple stores and get the same price at each one for the same 3DS system. I eventually purchased the system at the store that had some left. I am sure other people have different experiences with Sears though.

It's the same ymmv situation at Sears as Kmart. If the particular store doesn't process the drops properly, then the clearanced item has the outdated price. During the last clearance cycle with the vita accessories, for example, I got all the accessories for the prices reported in the Sears thread, except for the vita charging cradle. That only dropped a few dollars from msrp. Later on when I checked, it was back up to normal msrp. It never made it to the $3 level or so that was reported by numerous CAGs.

#2763 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

lol @ SHC clearance not being "YMMV".

SHC stores are the definition of YMMV from the advertised weekly sales, to the SYWR promotions applying correctly, and yes all the way down to what the games will ring up as in the bin.

#2764 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

Just stopped by Kmart, saw Two Worlds II PS3 tagged $15. Nobody anywhere near the department or else I would have had a price check.

I also saw the following DS games as tagged:
LoZ Spirit Tracks $25
Dragon Quest IV $20
Dragon Quest IX $25
Final Fantasy III $?? (spine out, no tag)

Anyone know if any of these have dropped further?

There were alot of DS games with just the spine showing, no tag. Would love to get an associate with a scan gun over there!

Also, the Wii Goldeneye 007 with gold controller is still on sale thru 6/1 at $20. That's what the shelf tag read. My store still has about four of them.
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#2765 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

Nothing changed from what I could see or bothered to scan. Finally bothered to lug the Killzone 3 Helghast Edition over to the one scanner in the store and disappointingly it was still $50 like when the tag was created in January. Want that figure in there and the box is really getting beat to all get out!

3ds120.gif Picross 3D hot!68.gif  :pc: WoW  :wiiu: Mario Kart 8 :hot:   :vita: Front Mission 3   :xb1: TBD

Finished Games - Recently Completed: :xb1: Ryse :mrgreen:
EldritchOnRye.pngCinnabarSin.png

Trade List

#2766 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:18 AM

Yeah I am not worried about employee price fixing but I did have someone tell me a story where they worked at Walmart and somehow got Into the system and changed the price of yu-gi-oh cards to 25 cents a pack for a couple hours then proceeded to purchase a lot of them.

I am sure those price changes in toys were approved before they started and it was the department lead that was doing the markdowns.

#2767 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:36 AM

Got a Catwoman Comfy Throw for $4.99. Random internet pic>
Spoiler

They had Batman, too. Didn't check the price. Probably was the same.

Don't mind the pic. It's bigger than it looks. Hers is cinched in the back(blanket with sleeves). Haven't opened it yet, but I got a Wonderwoman Comfy from GameStop last year.

Buy winter stuff in the summer and summer stuff in the winter!:D

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#2768 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

Not strictly clearance but I'm going to assume YMMV since it's unadvertised as far as I can tell but was at the Clinton Township, MI store and there was a printed sale tag for the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for $19.99. They had games on other tags but everything else was more of a sale to match MSRP sort of deal. Of course I forgot to see if there was an end date or anything on it. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to see a proper clearance on it when the Legacy Collection comes out though.

3ds120.gif Picross 3D hot!68.gif  :pc: WoW  :wiiu: Mario Kart 8 :hot:   :vita: Front Mission 3   :xb1: TBD

Trade List

#2769 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

Saw that same tag yesterday for Metal Gear Solid HD, of course there were no copies on the barren shelves.

Spoiler

#2770 inky1600

inky1600

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

Today I got:
Alice Madness Returns $9.97(shelf tag said $19.99)
Dead Rising 2 Off the Record $4.97(shelf tag said clearance $14.97)
Both of these were PS3 but I saw the 360 version of Dead Rising 2 Off the Record had a shelf tag for $4.97 so I figured it would be worth a scan on the PS3 version. The Alice was a total shot in the dark as it was locked up and I had to have someone get it out and have it scanned at the register-my suspicions were correct.

I also saw Mod Nation Racers PS3 $4.97 with shelf tag.

#2771 TKSJOHN

TKSJOHN

The Dumpster Diver!

• Silenced

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:16 AM

Not strictly clearance but I'm going to assume YMMV since it's unadvertised as far as I can tell but was at the Clinton Township, MI store and there was a printed sale tag for the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for $19.99. They had games on other tags but everything else was more of a sale to match MSRP sort of deal. Of course I forgot to see if there was an end date or anything on it. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to see a proper clearance on it when the Legacy Collection comes out though.

Great, looks like I have a CAG to compete with;)

#2772 theclaw

theclaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:25 AM

Snagged a $4.97 PS3 Splatterhouse.

To think they had 20 of NBA 2K11!

#2773 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Great, looks like I have a CAG to compete with;)

I WILL DESTROY YOU!!! Well, only if you're a jerk hoarder or something. Otherwise I can share and enjoy helping others find stuff.

Trade List

#2774 TKSJOHN

TKSJOHN

The Dumpster Diver!

• Silenced

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

I WILL DESTROY YOU!!! Well, only if you're a jerk hoarder or something. Otherwise I can share and enjoy helping others find stuff.

Haha no, im DEFINITELY not a hoarder. I may buy an extra copy of a good game for a good price, but I try to leave some good deals for others:) Ill try to let you know of any good deals I find, for instance the Kmart on 23mile and Van Dyke had RDR GOTY on 360 for $14.97, but passed since I already owned it

#2775 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

I'm rarely quite that far north, usually 15 & Groesbeck is the farthest out store I hit unless I'm on the way somewhere else. Mostly looking for PS3 games these days, so you if you see a cheap 3D Dot Game Heroes let me know!

Trade List

#2776 TKSJOHN

TKSJOHN

The Dumpster Diver!

• Silenced

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

I'm rarely quite that far north, usually 15 & Groesbeck is the farthest out store I hit unless I'm on the way somewhere else. Mostly looking for PS3 games these days, so you if you see a cheap 3D Dot Game Heroes let me know!

Looking for that my self! I thought clinton twp was on 18 and garfield right?

#2777 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

Looking for that my self! I thought clinton twp was on 18 and garfield right?

There might be one over there too, sprawling area and what not. I had stopped at the 15 mile store because that's the one I had seen them at with a value label but those were MIA even.

Trade List

#2778 inky1600

inky1600

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Today got Dead Rising 2(360) for $9.97 and Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition(PS3) for $4.97. Note that Dead Rising 2 for PS3 is still $14.97.

#2779 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

A few new clearance drops for DS:
Dragon Quest IV $15
Dragon Quest IX $15
Golden Sun Dark Dawn $15
Warioware DIY $10

The date on the tags were 5/22/13 and the guy helping me said he had just changed the prices 10 minutes before I got there.

I inquired about LoZ Spirit Tracks but he was non-commital if there was a price drop (still tagged $20), think he was interested in getting it himself. No problems with that, but if it's still there when I return I'm getting it regardless of price!

Spoiler

#2780 djdarko

djdarko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

Just stopped by Kmart, saw Two Worlds II PS3 tagged $15. Nobody anywhere near the department or else I would have had a price check.

I scanned that game (5/19/13) and it was $14.99. I was hoping it was $4.99 as well.

Disappointed to see that Kingdom's of Amalar is still $19.99.

Has anyone price scanned New Vegas Ultimate Edition (PS3)?

Edited by don_juan_darko, 26 May 2013 - 06:52 AM.

#2781 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

Has anyone price scanned New Vegas Ultimate Edition (PS3)?

About two weeks ago, maybe three, and it was still coming up $30 or whatever MSRP is on it.

Trade List

#2782 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

Got something for my fellow metro Detroit CAGs. 12 Mile and John R store, was there a couple hours ago and grabbed a copy of Spirit Tracks for $19.99. Not mind blowing but there were 3 more copies. What someone might really be interested in though was a copy of New Vegas Ultimate Edition tagged $19.99 for PS3. I was mighty tempted but already have it on PC. There was only one copy though, good hunting whomever's interested.

Edit- Well look at me double posting 16 hours apart.

Trade List

#2783 Havokt

Havokt

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Warhammer 40K: Space Marines (PS3,Xbox 360)- $15
Shadows of the Damned (Xbox 360)- $5

#2784 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

About two weeks ago, maybe three, and it was still coming up $30 or whatever MSRP is on it.

It scanned for $19.99 two weeks ago at my local kmart

#2785 TFrank

TFrank

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

Saw Dragon Quest VI for $20 and Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals for $10

Anyone gotten a price check on Ico/Shadow of the Colossus bundle for PS3 lately?

#2786 redroversk

redroversk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

Great, looks like I have a CAG to compete with

And me. I live in the same area and I'm surprised I find any good games with all of us clearance hounds clearing the shelves. Also, not surprised now that I miss a lot too.

John R and 12 Mile had Valkryia Chronices 2 for $14.97, which is good enough for me, even though it's a umd. There was one left, they also had Singstar Queen for $4.97. I couldn't find any other worthy things.

#2787 bigperm81

bigperm81

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

i dont know if it some kinda extra long sale, or clearance. but my local kmart has had the tombraider trilogy
ps3 for 19.99 for about two weeks. also i picked up transformers dark of the moon 360 for 9.99, they had 360 and ps3 marked down, one of the better movie games in recent memory. both of the stores in my area had these marked down so might be worth a look

#2788 Rockabye

Rockabye

Been around

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

360 top spin 4 $9.97

So I should get a price check on the $14.97 I saw, then?

#2789 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

i dont know if it some kinda extra long sale, or clearance. but my local kmart has had the tombraider trilogy

I've noticed some unadvertised sales like that in my last few trips.

Trade List

#2790 shiningslade

shiningslade

Master Of Pinball

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Halo Reach Legendary Dropped To 59.97
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=93861"
Last Updated on 11/11/06
http://www.cheapassg...005#post8226005