Photo
- - - - -

PAX Prime 2012 Thread: Post (your) PAX (impressions and pics) Edition!

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#121 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

Zen, you are never going to make it to all those panels....

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#122 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

Last year I waited in line for Aliens: Colonial Marines for a good hour at least, possibly an hour and a half. As a bit of a consolation, the T-Shirts they gave out at that booth were very good. (peace through superior firepower) And the video we got to see was also very appealing. Just don't be surprised if you spend a lot of time waiting in line for individual games.

#123 metaly

metaly

In the world, only this island is.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

AFAIK VGO has always gone on first. Deciding between them (who I've seen before) and the FF announcement (which will almost definitely be available to watch online afterwards.) :cold:

You gotta go to the concert and then stream the FF announcement on your phone or something. Somebody has to be streaming it.

So I guess I'll be seeing metaly a lot on Sunday!

My condolences. :) I'm considering that F2P panel as well, but I was just informed of a donut place in the area so we'll see.

My crappy overcrowed improbable schedule:

That is fucking insane and you don't even have the show floor(s)! When's Bushido Blade??

You should try to find me for the Kojima panel--I'll be the guy peering over creid's shoulder.

Last year I waited in line for Aliens: Colonial Marines for a good hour at least, possibly an hour and a half. As a bit of a consolation, the T-Shirts they gave out at that booth were very good. (peace through superior firepower) And the video we got to see was also very appealing. Just don't be surprised if you spend a lot of time waiting in line for individual games.

I'm pretty down on lines. I think the longest I waited last year was 30 or so for Starhawk and that was pushing it. I'd love to see stuff like the Wii U (Is that even at the show?!?) or even Aliens but then I just remember that these things will be out in a few months anyway. I'd make a terrible reporter.

#124 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

You gotta go to the concert and then stream the FF announcement on your phone or something. Somebody has to be streaming it.

I'm pretty down on lines. I think the longest I waited last year was 30 or so for Starhawk and that was pushing it. I'd love to see stuff like the Wii U (Is that even at the show?!?) or even Aliens but then I just remember that these things will be out in a few months anyway. I'd make a terrible reporter.

Ehhhh maybe.

Agreed the lines are not really worth spending too much time on. And Wii U is definitely at the show.

my hastily-typed ridiculously conflicted potential panel list:

Fri
11:30 - PA Q&A
12 - Spouse Aggro, Career, etc.
2 - Omegathon r1
3 - RPG Mechanics
3:30 - Short Subjects in Gaming
4:30 - AC3 or An Afternoon With Scott and Kris
7 - Game Show Night!
8 - Game Show Night 2
8:30 Concert / Final Fantasy
9 - Improv (w/ Kris Straube & others)
10:30 - 100Y Arcade

Sat
10:30 - Make a Strip > Kojima
2 - Omegathon - Tony Hawk HD
3 - I think there's a Kojima signing too? will probably skip this
6 - Which interactive lie did I tell? (w/ writers of Portal 2)

Sun
10:30 - Khoo & A
11 - Bananathon
12 - Plot vs Play - the one at East 2012 was my panel of the show, but this one doesn't have Ken Levine and Chris Avellon :/
1:30 - Data
5:30 - Omegameetup

P.S. any DQIX owners are put on notice to bring their copy. Always need more tags!

Edit: Eek, just saw this:

The Walking Dead game panel is on Friday at 6:30pm in the Unicorn Theater. Everyone who gets in will be getting an exclusive gift that will only ever be available at that panel, so come early! :)

#125 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

I'd love to see stuff like the Wii U (Is that even at the show?!?) or even Aliens but then I just remember that these things will be out in a few months anyway. I'd make a terrible reporter.

Definitely want to check out the WiiU here, especially since I didn't get to see much at all in Nintendo's booth last year (did check out just about all their stuff in the Handheld Lounge, though!) and I'm more curious about it than anything.

But yeah, games I've already decided I'm going to get, either at launch or later on, I'll probably be skipping for the most part; Halo 4, Torchlight II, and Pokemon Black 2/White 2 being the major ones.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#126 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

You should try to find me for the Kojima panel--I'll be the guy peering over creid's shoulder.

I'm going to try to make it to the Kojima panel, seems there's enough of us to maybe get together beforehand and strongarm our way to the front.:)
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#127 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I wasn't too big on waiting in the lines either. But I'm a huge Aliens fan, so I made an exception for that particular game. I also waited in line at the OnLive booth, but that was a given, as they were handing out free micro-consoles. Given the shaky future of OnLive, I'm glad I waited in that line. Those micro-consoles could be fairly rare video game items some day.

You might want to go ahead and wait in the Aliens line this year. The game isn't coming until 2013. (grrrrr) And current rumors indicate that the WiiU will be arriving in November, just before black Friday. So yeah, it is probably just a few months away. But Nintendo was pretty good about having plenty of stations at PAX last year, so there wasn't a very long wait to play some of their games. With a new hardware platform, the lines may be longer. It all depends on how curious you are. Usually the lines for the demo stations weren't as long as the lines for the booths/presentations.

Man, I really am a little jealous of all you guys getting to attend. It's probably for the best that I can't go this year, I have a lot on my plate this fall. But I really enjoyed myself last year. I'll be there in 13 for certain.

#128 WalkinPneumonia

WalkinPneumonia

Professional Cheap @$$

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

Not a lot of panels interest me this year, but I'll be enforcing Unicorn from 9-close. I'll be the bald guy with the beard. :) I'm going to try and make it to the NASA one, and the Ratchet and Clank panel.
Posted Image

#129 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

Got room for me, Shipwreck and Mrs Shipwreck?

#130 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

Got room for me, Shipwreck and Mrs Shipwreck?

Of course! :)

Going to make the reservations soonish :whee:

ETA: Called Gordon Biersch; they said they aren't taking reservations for this weekend because of PAX @_@ Talked things over with my husband, and I think what we're going to do is have him go on ahead to the restaurant to try and get us a spot, while I go to the meeting place and wait for everyone. The person over the phone said the wait for a table could be anywhere from 30 min. to an hour.

Alternate plan is we try someplace else (it wouldn't hurt to have a fallback at any rate). Once again, I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by blueshinra, 30 August 2012 - 01:03 AM.

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#131 Link42

Link42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:01 AM

I'm on the "Breaking Into the Games Industry" panel at noon on Saturday. I'll be sharing stories and giving advice with some of my friends from Naughty Dog, EA, etc. Should be a fun time!

It's my first PAX and first time in Seattle. My flight leaves at 8:15 on Sunday, so I don't think I'll be able to stop by the meetup, but if there's reason to believe otherwise I can give it a shot.

#132 bitprophet

bitprophet

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

For those that don't remember the connection: blueshinra's hubby reporting in!

I kinda hope ArenaNet has a Guild Wars 2 demo area up. I had no interest in it til 3 days ago (and am currently in an 'off' phase in my on-again-off-again MMO addiction) but caught wind of the hype machine and it actually sounds A) pretty great generally and B) right up my alley, re: how I like to play MMOs. (of course, I should wait it out to see if it bombs like SWTOR did...that was a partial waste of $50. And I have so many Steam Sale titles to work through!)

Also looking forward to the Giant Bombcast panel, haven't seen the crew in a few months because I'm a jerk and haven't been back to visit since I switched jobs :-|

Annoyed about Gordon Biersch not taking reservations but hopefully, armed with my smartphone, I can wait there while the rest of you assemble at the convention venue and march over :)
Posted Image

#133 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

If it's anything like East, most of the places in the area won't be taking reservations. Packing and running, see y'all soon!

#134 watcher0

watcher0

CAGmeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:58 AM

I might try to join you guys, but I'm usually pretty burnt out at the end of the final day, so keep me as tentative and don't wait up for me.

Sure are a lot of people going to that Friday RPG Mechanics panel. Between the CAGs and the RPGamers that I expect there, I feel like I should do some sort of shout out while I'm there, lol.
[URL="http://direct2drive.tellapal.com/a/clk/mgkpx"][/URL]

#135 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:07 AM

I guess put me down as a maybe I might be leaving Sunday or I might be staying. What's the chance of running into CheapyD at the show?

CAG TradeList

#136 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

If it's anything like East, most of the places in the area won't be taking reservations.

This was my first time trying to make restaurant reservations pre-Prime/East, and I wasn't quite expecting this, so good to know for the future.

Just edited the OP. Will mainly be using Twitter while at the show, but will also keep check this thread once in awhile for any later RSVPs, etc.

See you all later!
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#137 io

io

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

I'm all packed and ready to go in the AM. We're catching a 2pm flight to Seattle so will be there before 3 (short flight from here). I wanted to have plenty of time to settle in.

Is there anything happening off-site PAX-related before the show starts? I know I've seen a lot of references to things happening at different hotels and such so was just wondering.

I hope my hotel reservaton is good. I made it the day after I bought the PAX tickets and haven't heard a thing since, though I checked the link in the original email and it still seems to be good. This will be an adventure - I have to figure out how the train thing works and get me and my son downtown and to the hotel. I mean, in my younger days I once had to figure out how to take a train from the airport in Rome all the way up to Florence - and this was pre-Internet (or at least back when it wasn't so common) so I had no information whatsoever or any way to contact anyone. That kind of turned out to be a disaster though we made it in the end (I think we paid for premium seats but got on the stop everywhere slow train ;)). But I haven't travelled like that in quite a while. I expect this to be much easier of course.

#138 B:L

B:L

twitch.tv/BLbeel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

u want partay list

http://www.sidequest...rties-and-more/

theres also the square exhibit at act theater right next to the con on friday

#139 EvilIA

EvilIA

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

I'm in for the meetup. So RSVP, I know LTTP.

Friday:
-12:30 Unicorn Destructoid Live III: How to run a successful
blog (and not get sued)
9:00 - Giant Bombcast
sometime - the FF 25th Anniversary event

Sunday the CAGCAST. And Will Wheaton whenever that is.

#140 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

I will be wandering the floor as well, if you want to try to meetup and hang out, shoot me a pm and I'll give you my cell number.

CAG TradeList

#141 io

io

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Awesome - I got 5 3DS street pass tags at the Seattle airport and then 10 more at the convention center. We wandered on over there to see if anything was going on. The League of Legends tourney had just ended and otherwise stuff was just being set up.

#142 io

io

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:27 AM

What are the odds!? We just ran into Cheapy and the Ships randomly on the street after heading down to the Seattle waterfront! :lol:

#143 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:06 AM

Alright!

#144 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hopefully I'll see some of you guys tomorrow, I'll be the guy with the giant red Xps book bag walking around.:)
mytradelist:

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#145 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

yeayuuuuh!!! I'm in Seattle!!

We ate at Lumchbox Lab, it was awesome!!

I will be wandering the floor as well, if you want to try to meetup and hang out, shoot me a pm and I'll give you my cell number.

what this guy said!!

I don't think I'll be able to make Sunday hangout, but if anyone wants to hang out randomly hit me up!

#146 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

What are the odds!? We just ran into Cheapy and the Ships randomly on the street after heading down to the Seattle waterfront! :lol:

Wow, that's crazy! We hung out with metaly last night for dinner/dessert. Not nearly as random or exciting, but we had fun :)

yeayuuuuh!!! I'm in Seattle!!

We ate at Lumchbox Lab, it was awesome!!what this guy said!!

I don't think I'll be able to make Sunday hangout, but if anyone wants to hang out randomly hit me up!

OMG, hanging out with JEKKI! I can't pass that up :D

I'll PM both you and kube. Also, I'm wearing a blue Portal 2 shirt (this one) and black jeans today if anyone wants to keep an eye out for me (and remember that I'm a girl ;)). The schedule I posted earlier for what panels I want to see today hasn't changed.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#147 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

Damn this line is long. Yellow polo and black Xps bag if anyone wants to stalk me. :)
mytradelist:

#148 io

io

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

My PAX experience so far: got there an hour before the doors opened and got herded into a big line. Waited an hour, trying to get 3DS street passes but my battery died as apparently I didn't plug it in properly last night. Then just as we started to move into the show, my son had to go to the bathroom. So we had to fight through the crowd to leave the floor and find a bathroom. Made it back it, played LBP karting for 5 minutes, got a shirt, and then played LBP Vita (no line for that). We checked out the Mojang stuff, and are now back at the hotel. My son wants to play Halo 4 but that is like a 2 hour wait.

Exhausted already and we've done almost nothing :lol:

#149 io

io

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

We are heading to the Rooster Teeth panel now if anyone else is going. I can't get Wifi or 4G in the conv. Center to check stuff...

#150 metaly

metaly

In the world, only this island is.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

Damn this line is long. Yellow polo and black Xps bag if anyone wants to stalk me. :)

So I read the post and looked at the avatar and not the username and I've been looking for zenprime in a yellow polo all day.