The Walking Dead

Nealocus123

That's Vagtastic!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Can't believe there isn't a thread for this! Used search and nothing came up. Anyways it's a episodic game from Telltale (Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Strongbad, etc) that tells the story of two new characters based in The Walking Dead universe. I am a huge fan of the show and this game looks like it'll do it justice!

Episode one of a five-part game series set in the same universe as Robert Kirkman’s award-winning series. Play as Lee Everett, a convicted criminal, who has been given a second chance at life in a world devastated by the undead. Experience events, meet people and visit locations that foreshadow the story of Deputy Sheriff Rick Grimes. A tailored game experience – actions, choices and decisions you make will affect how your story plays out across the entire series. Additional episodes available as downloadable content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14YHB_u5D0

I saw a bunch of release dates that said today, however it's not available yet and IGN has it listed as the 30th for Xbox. Still can't wait!

I've been waiting for it to drop today as well, but that doesn't look to be the case. Wack. Anyway it looks rather promising and a decent distraction until I can get my hands on a copy of The Witcher 2.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']For those that already have it how many hours should I expect to sink into it?[/QUOTE]

2-3 hours for episode 1. Just finished it. Cant wait for the next episode. They show a trailer at the end of episode 2, making you want it even more.

[quote name='Nealocus123']Gah, so tempted to just get it on PSN. Cheaper and less wait...[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way, I want it now. I was pushing it trying to wait till it got released today...

I was going to wait for the 360 version, but $4.99 off the full season and the theme pushed me into getting the PS3 version, so worth it.
[quote name='Blade3D']I feel the same way, I want it now. I was pushing it trying to wait till it got released today...[/QUOTE]
360 version is not coming until Friday.

[quote name='ratzombie']I was going to wait for the 360 version, but $4.99 off the full season and the theme pushed me into getting the PS3 version, so worth it.

360 version is not coming until Friday.[/QUOTE]

Yes, what I meant was I was pushing it waiting till today and now I have to wait till Friday. I might end up breaking down and just getting the PS3 version, sucks though cause 360 is my personal preference.

i should have waited. i pre-ordered it from the TellTale website and still didnt get the code yet when on steam and PS3 people were playing it yesterday.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I'm tempted to pick it up, but I think they will release this on Disc later.[/QUOTE]

That's going to be a long wait for just a hunch. You're talking about the end of the 5 parts, and if it even happens it will most likely retail for $29.99.

Personally, I don't think they'll release a disc in the states for the 360. I'm down for 400 on Friday.

[quote name='Kerig']That's going to be a long wait for just a hunch. You're talking about the end of the 5 parts, and if it even happens it will most likely retail for $29.99.

Personally, I don't think they'll release a disc in the states for the 360. I'm down for 400 on Friday.[/QUOTE]

I just think its leaving money on the table if they don't. A Walking Dead game on the shelves would be a major seller. Not everyone has adapted to DLC and download only games as well as CAGs have. I'm gonna cave and get Episode 1. I know I will, but I don't think a boxed release is as much of a long shot as you think.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal'] I don't think a boxed release is as much of a long shot as you think.[/QUOTE]

It'd be nice, but I'm still waiting for the Alien Breed Trilogy disc release to hit the states :oldman:

I want this but in the true CAG fasion I'm going to wait till all episodes are released and buy them all at once when they offer them as a bundle pack for less on the 360.

just finished the first ep and damn that was pretty awesome! i really enjoyed it the whole time and appreciate the choices you have to make. this is by far TellTales best game. such a tease at the end cant wait for the next episode

I just played through it on PS3 and this may be one I'll double dip for on 360, just because of how god damn awesome it is. There's so many choices and you really feel like they all have an effect on the outcome. I had an absolute blast playing through the first episode and the wait for number two is going to be killer. I'm gonna replay the episode once more right now actually.

[quote name='draven1089']I want this but in the true CAG fasion I'm going to wait till all episodes are released and buy them all at once when they offer them as a bundle pack for less on the 360.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be mean but good luck getting a deal on the 360 version anytime soon. Telltale had to make a special agreement with MS to even get this on 360 since MS doesn't allow episodic content. The "main game" comes out for $5 tomorrow and each episode after that will be released as a game add-on for $5 each.

Only deal on it is $20 on PSN and you get a free Premium XMB w/purchase. Even PC people have to pay $25 for the entire series.

Like others I got this on PS3, which if you care, will be the easiest Platinum trophy in the history of PSN. All the trophies are just completing each chapter of the episode (all bronzes until the final chapter of the episode as a Silver, then a Gold for completing the episode, then a Platinum for completing all 5 episodes.) No special conditions or nothing.

I bet the max gamerscore you'll get on this game is a few hundred points. But we should be thankful it's even on 360, as 360 owners have missed out on Sam and Max and Back to the Future. Those worried about the last TellTale action point and click, Jurassic Park, don't be, they got this right.

Beware the demo is VERY short and is just one scene to get you used to the controls. If the download is the same size as on PS3, it's just under 500 MB.

As others have said, the teaser at the end of Episode 1 is awesome. I think the scenes slightly change depending on your choices (of which there are 5 major ones and a bunch of minor ones.) For those that get stuck, IGN Wiki's already has a guide up. On the PS3, at the end, it says how many players chose the same way as you. I'm assuming it's platform specific but not 100% sure.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I just think its leaving money on the table if they don't. A Walking Dead game on the shelves would be a major seller. Not everyone has adapted to DLC and download only games as well as CAGs have. I'm gonna cave and get Episode 1. I know I will, but I don't think a boxed release is as much of a long shot as you think.[/QUOTE]

I think there will be a disc release, but it won't be until the fall after all the episodes are out and will be a limited print run, just like BTTF was. Episode 5 won't be out until August so I expect the disc release to be October or November.

As soon as I got up this morning I logged on to my Xbox and downloaded episode 1. I can't wait to get home tonight and play it! I know it's going to be such a great game.

A mere ten minutes into the trial and I'm ALREADY addicted. This is going to be one hell of an amazing game. Just wish it were a full console release instead but no way am I complaining.

Downloaded it this morning, but I won't get to play it until much later tonight at the earliest. The wait is KILLING me!!

[quote name='draven1089']I want this but in the true CAG fasion I'm going to wait till all episodes are released and buy them all at once when they offer them as a bundle pack for less on the 360.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm going this route as well. The days between episodes of the show felt long, especially during the second half of this last season. I'll just stick to being ignorant on how great the game is till all the content is released. If Telltale does stick to the monthly schedule, we should get the last episode in August, which is approximately two months before S3 of the show starts. I'm going to guess we'll get a Deal of the Week discounting the game/dlc somewhere around there. We might even see a retail disc release by then.

Just played the trial and damn, it was pretty fun. This wasen't on my radar at all but I might just have to pick this up...it being only $5 doesn't hurt either.

Gotta admit I am still a little ticked off that we got this late on xbl..Definitely hope its not the norm.. its bad enough theres no season pass

I would've got this on Steam earlier this week but they, for some reason, aren't offering them as solo episodes. So, I guess I will snag this on XBLA at some point.

I just finished my initial playthrough a while ago. It was fantastic. I can't believe there aren't any save states though for multiple runs. Now I'm forced to restrain myself from playing it again for fear I taint the imperfections of my first run. Ugh... it's killing me. Hopefully they remain on track with the schedule because I can't wait for the next episode. I also loved how the preview seemed to track all the major choices you made appropriately e.g.
Kenny's wife telling Lee he'd better side with the children this time since he tried to save Herschel's son on the farm and the pharmacy group leader accusing him of hating her dad because of his reaction to the whole Duck incident.
Clem is also absolutely adorable.

I can already tell this is definitely going to be my highlight game of the year if what's left on my must play list doesn't live up to my expectations. Very impressed by what I've seen thus far.

EDIT: Nevermind there ARE extra save slots. Only two, but sweet! Time to be a complete
"everyone for themselves" dick and then a reasonably paranoid "anything it takes" half decent guy.

I actually saved Duck, I figured it was the right thing to do.... it made me laugh though when at the end it said that me and only 28% of people made that choice.

My main motivation for not saving Duck was figuring any loving father would prioritize their child's safety over anything or anyone else. Glad it and my loyalty to his family paid off. Ken coming back to save Lee when he got punched out toward the end of the Macon escape was completely unexpected. I was SURE I'd have to blur crawl my way out.

Did you save Doug or Carly? I saved Carly, as I trust her but then again she could use that against me later. I feel like the right choice is to save Doug since he has technical skills that could be useful, Carly couldn't even put batteries in correctly.

Carly - No F*cking Contest. It wasn't even question to me because though his technical skills (I mean... building robots? Memorizing universal remote codes? Shit... that's a godsend) would surely have came in handy she's the only person armed with military grade accuracy. Goddess of Headshots, reasonably sane, obviously not afraid to kill or be killed so you'll never regret having those types around. She's down for anything and I had to make the choice based on the now rather than the future since Kenny is loyal and obviously good with his hands as well. I'm honestly surprised she didn't have enough time to save Doug given how comfortable she is with that gun.

Plus with the Macon leader's father on your dick saving her should pay off in the end because now she not only owes you her life, but should trust you. That's got to be worth something when the shit hits the fan which will happen eventually since it's obviously the group leader could or will be into Lee. The worst loss to the group IMO was Glenn. Everyone knows that guy is a living breathing four leaf clover for any group lucky enough to have him. Sucked being forced to watch him and his Hiero shirt go. ;(

Did you kill the hotel survivor or let her off herself? I chose the latter. It's her choice so I figure go for it. She has that right I just hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass later. I'm especially worried 90% of Lee's actions will affect Clem's attitude. I don't want to turn the poor kid into Rick or Shane because they are both unbalanced as shit on the TV show.

True enough, I like the character as well, so I'm not unhappy about the decision. I still want to make a new save and not choose Duck though, and maybe make that my canon playthrough.

I gave her the gun and let her off herself, Glenn REALLY didn't like that.

I feel you. I'm waiting until my third playthrough to choose Duck on the farm. This one I'm still going with Herschel's son, but I'm placing the blame square on Kenny this time instead of defending him. I can't wait to see how the Macon escape plays out having barely earned the trust of anyone lhaha. I've been lying through my teeth thus far with entertaining results.

As for Glenn... I know right? He was even MORE bummed out when I chose the mercy explanation. I felt like a real dick afterward. I hope a choice that minor that doesn't set him up to get him or any other likeable characters killed in the future because it seriously felt like a mistake pressing 'A'.

Huge zed fan. Huge Walking Dead fan. Huge achievement whore. Run a zed webpage w/ my sis... but I won't be picking this up on the 360. Way too few cheevo's per msp spent. Huge waste of money if purchasing each episode. I'll either wait for the deal of the week in 3 months for everything 50% off or pass. That's TRUE CAG style.

[quote name='cancermatt']Huge zed fan. Huge Walking Dead fan. Huge achievement whore. Run a zed webpage w/ my sis... but I won't be picking this up on the 360. Way too few cheevo's per msp spent. Huge waste of money if purchasing each episode. I'll either wait for the deal of the week in 3 months for everything 50% off or pass. That's TRUE CAG style.[/QUOTE]

I just don't get this logic. Sure, the graphics aren't mind blowing, but any reasonable gamer is after gameplay. If each episode gives you 2 hours of gameplay, with 5 episodes, at $5 per episode...that's a 10 hour campaign for $25. A lot of $60 games are no longer than that. Yes, it looks like there will only be a total of 500 Gamerscore, but if you really view games as "buying gamerscore", I feel bad for you, man.

I really enjoyed this first episode, and I have to say, as much as I hate companies who nickel and dime DLC (ahem...EA...ahem...Capcom), I actually like this episodic formula when it's done right. As an "almost 30" gamer, I can't sit for 6-8 hour gaming sessions anymore. So, getting a 2 hour niblet for $5 (well, less than that considering what I pay for MS points) is right up my alley. And when all is said and done, if I got 10 hours of entertainment for $25...based on subject matter that I'm highly interested in, I'll be pretty damn happy.

This is in the comic universe so I am guessing they use the same type of language as they do in the comic? My 10 year old brother loves the show but I wouldn't let him read the comic for another 2 or 3 years. Can those who played through it comment on the language?

I just finished this in one sitting and I enjoyed it. I loved how
afterwards they show your stats and how your choices stacked up with others.

[quote name='eliter1']This is in the comic universe so I am guessing they use the same type of language as they do in the comic? My 10 year old brother loves the show but I wouldn't let him read the comic for another 2 or 3 years. Can those who played through it comment on the language?[/QUOTE]

There is some foul language F-bombs and others sprinkled in through the 2 hours. I would be more worried about how intense and intimate the violence is compared to the language.

[quote name='js1']There is some foul language F-bombs and others sprinkled in through the 2 hours. I would be more worried about how intense and intimate the violence is compared to the language.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. A little cursing here or there is the least of your worries for how graphic the kill scenes are in this game.

[quote name='cancermatt']Huge zed fan. Huge Walking Dead fan.... but I won't be picking this up on the 360.[/QUOTE]

Boo! You should buy the things you enjoy the most and show your support, especially with it being a mere 400msp. They could have easily started at 800 and released the rest at 400.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Exactly. A little cursing here or there is the least of your worries for how graphic the kill scenes are in this game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was one thing that actually took me a little by surprise.
I couldn't believe how long some of the kill sequences were. When Lee had to kill his own brother, it was just agonizingly long. Obviously that was the intent, but it was so brilliantly visceral. I love when games have the foresight to do something that makes you think like that.

bread's done
Back