Adam Sessler quits G4

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#31 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Yeah I tuned out of G4 after the death of G4TV.com, The Screen Savers, The Electric Playground, ad Judgement Day. Even Cinematech was kinda cool and better than what they put out nowadays.

Really sad but another reason why cable is not needed in the age of internet streaming.

Sessler (and X play) was probably the last thing gaming related on the network.

I really miss Cinematech (and Icons too). Showing reruns of shows to be super cheap instead of quality programming relevant to your channel name tarnished G4 and so many other channels I no longer watch (I still remember long ago when TLC was, you know, THE LEARNING CHANNEL and not shitty-reality-programming-only-channel).
End of line.

#32 jlarlee

jlarlee

Tigers love pepper.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

I dunno AOS isn't a bad show and it come son when nothing else is on really
Posted Image

#33 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Any gamer hardcore enough to watch an entire station about video games is going to be playing video games on his TV, not watching people talk about video games.

It really seems like a bad idea at its core to me.

My feelings exactly.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#34 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

that show the did on the history of videogames and developers was the sht and i never understood why someone didnt pick that up.

#35 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

Uh, because no one would watch it?

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-The Office season 8
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#36 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

Uh, because no one would watch it?

Are you crazy? Icons was awesome!
End of line.

#37 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

It had some interesting episodes but it's for such an ultra niche audience no network would go near it. Extremely low viewership means virtually no ad sales and thus no profit.

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-The Office season 8
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#38 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

Fuck it, the only thing I actually miss is original "year 1" G4 that had next to no sponsors, hence very few ads (although Pringles was all over it before long). That channel was surreal. The "ads" would wind up being random clips of shit like Night Driver for the 2600. Half the shows looked like they had cable access-level budget available; the show with the guy who went down a hatch to his secret underground lair to talk about MMORPGs (before WoW even existed) was especially shoddy looking. Then every few hours they'd randomly throw in a random episode of that Starcade game show from the early 80's. One episode I saw featured the grand prize of a motherfucking ROBOT. But usually it was just shit like remote control cars or metal detectors.

But yeah, Icons was by far the best show that came out of those early months and years. Shame a DVD set of that never came out. It would fit in fine on a channel like Spike nowadays.
Posted Image

#39 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Yeah I tuned out of G4 after the death of G4TV.com, The Screen Savers, The Electric Playground, ad Judgement Day. Even Cinematech was kinda cool and better than what they put out nowadays.

Really sad but another reason why cable is not needed in the age of internet streaming.

Sessler (and X play) was probably the last thing gaming related on the network.

That was about the time I stopped watching. I miss the pure TechTV of old, and after the merger I held on for longer than I thought I would but G4's demise is inevitable. Adam is wise to depart.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#40 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

I must be one of the few who actually watches/likes Attack of the Show. If I were on that show however, I'd be polishing up the old resume...

#41 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

I must be one of the few who actually watches/likes Attack of the Show. If I were on that show however, I'd be polishing up the old resume...

I do too! It's the only show left that I do watch other than Ninja Warrior. Personally I'm glad they got rid of Olivia Munn because she seemed like a total b**ch that didn't care about our culture at all. Candace Bailey is a good replacement.

I remember the good ol' days when I watched G4 and TechTV nonstop. Then they merged and it was still good, with my fav shows like Icons, Cinematech, Anime Unleashed, Filter (before they got that dumb blonde to host it instead of the HOTNESS Diane Mizota), and before X-Play got infected by the virus that is Morgan ManJaw. But those days are gone and what we have left are fleeting good moments with AOTS, Ninja Warrior, but also incessant repeats of "movies that don't suck" (Tekken and Robocop 3 don't suck, right?), and a bunch of crappy reality shows. Cheaters? really? Come the Fuck on.

Well, good luck to the Sess, he was the last real person on the network to talk about games. With him leaving, they might as well just call the network what we all know it is now, SpikeTV Lite.

And I'm surprised we are talking about the hot girls of G4 and no one has mentioned Alison Haislip yet... :D:D:D

47206.png
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Earth Defense Force 2025, South Park: The Stick of Truth
:3ds: Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
:psp: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune, Rayman Origins

#42 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Sessler won't be commentating at evo this year? :(

#43 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

I do too! It's the only show left that I do watch other than Ninja Warrior. Personally I'm glad they got rid of Olivia Munn because she seemed like a total b**ch that didn't care about our culture at all. Candace Bailey is a good replacement.

I remember the good ol' days when I watched G4 and TechTV nonstop. Then they merged and it was still good, with my fav shows like Icons, Cinematech, Anime Unleashed, Filter (before they got that dumb blonde to host it instead of the HOTNESS Diane Mizota), and before X-Play got infected by the virus that is Morgan ManJaw. But those days are gone and what we have left are fleeting good moments with AOTS, Ninja Warrior, but also incessant repeats of "movies that don't suck" (Tekken and Robocop 3 don't suck, right?), and a bunch of crappy reality shows. Cheaters? really? Come the Fuck on.

Well, good luck to the Sess, he was the last real person on the network to talk about games. With him leaving, they might as well just call the network what we all know it is now, SpikeTV Lite.

And I'm surprised we are talking about the hot girls of G4 and no one has mentioned Alison Haislip yet... :D:D:D

That's who should have replaced Munn IMO and when she didn't get it I pretty much stopped caring about AOTS.

I'll still listen to the Feedback podcast since Blair is OK, and Jessica/Nikole are cool chicks. I wonder if Matt Kyle is leaving soon also, since he hasn't been on Feedback in months, and he was a regular when I watched (which started when Patrick Klepek broke the IW/Act. story) and every episode of Feedback was Patrick, Matt, Abbie Heppe, and Sessler.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#44 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Sessler won't be commentating at evo this year? :(

Oh, god, keep him far away from Evo. Far, far away.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#45 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if this is the sign that G4 is coming to an end. The ratings have been so low for years, which is why Direct tv dropped the channel a year or so ago. Their only two regular company produced shows have been taking breaks more often than they used to(at least now, they'll tell when it's an old episode).

Seems like ever since Comcast bought NBC Universal, they haven't cared about the channel. Comcast now seems more focused on stuff like NBC, USA & Syfy than one of their old channels that's now airing old movies & tv shows most of the time.

It wouldn't shock me if Comcast pulls the plug on the channel by the end of the year.

#46 Survivalism

Survivalism

CAG's Lance Boyle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

At least Adam Sessler has a career to fall back on as guitarist of Killswitch Engage.

#47 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

I actually like Sessler though he's not the most popular guy. No, he's not the best gaming journalists but he's one of the few gaming journalists who actually seems to enjoy gaming.

I think Webb has been making him look bad since they started working together. She's just awful at the whole gaming journalism thing. Hopefully he finds work that better suits him.

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#48 Tom Im Not

Tom Im Not

The artist formerly known as MtlTom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

"And we're all tied up."

:applause: Best post in this thread.

#49 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Any gamer hardcore enough to watch an entire station about video games is going to be playing video games on his TV, not watching people talk about video games.

It really seems like a bad idea at its core to me.

I disagree. Back when they did quality reviews it let you avoid some stinkers. Of course now we can all just goto IGN, so it kind of makes a videogame station moot. Hence the crap shows full of buxom babes and fan service.

The really hardcore gamer has two HDTVs side by side. He still hasn't forgotten that Sony promised dual screen support on the PS3. So he can game and watch G4 simultaneously. Plus, if he crosses his eyes just right it's almost free 3D!

:lol:

#50 rlse9

rlse9

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:23 AM

Not that I have cable, but that eliminates the final reason I had any interest left in G4. I miss the old Tech TV days, back when The Screen Savers and Call For Help and so on were still on TV. Only good thing is that between Revision3 and TWiT, technology shows are plentiful online now and more interesting and focused than the old Tech TV shows. Gaming and technology shows are really too niche for television but a great fit online.

Now Playing:

:wiiu: Mass Effect 3, Super Mario World, FIFA 13

#51 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Update to this thread: http://www.g4tv.com/...ck-of-the-show/

Kevin Pereira is leaving now, too. He's been there since 2002 and is pretty much the entire network. Looks like G4 is done...

#52 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

damn id never thought hed leave must be something going on internally but without him there theres really only morgan webb left.maybe she will host all the shows lol.

#53 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

I disagree. Back when they did quality reviews it let you avoid some stinkers. Of course now we can all just goto IGN, so it kind of makes a videogame station moot. Hence the crap shows full of buxom babes and fan service.

Yeah, it was really only useful back before I had broadband as it was the only way to get video reviews and get glimpses of games in action in general.

Haven't watched G4 (or TechTV before it) in probably a decade. Was never interested in the tech shows as I'm not much of a techie. So all I watched were the review shows occasionally back in the day.

#54 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Holy shit @ Kevin leaving too. I never thought that would happen. Definitely agree that there's something seriously screwed behind the scenes. GGPO AOTS as that was one of the main reasons anyone was even remotely interested in watching G4.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#55 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

It was only a matter of time before the dominoes fell. The network will implode as a result of this, which sucks because nobody will ever try making a channel like this again. Looks like Cartoon Network will remain my go-to channel when there's nothing on (90% of the time).

#56 glenrich9908

glenrich9908

The Funkasaurus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

who ever said it was like spike tv lite is correct i remember few years ago when g4 was worth watching. now i can careless

#57 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

I stopped watching AOTS for a while before DirecTV and G4 had that fallout and then I literally had no choice but to not watch it. Still, I was saddened to hear Sessler was leaving and almost just as sad to hear Pereira's leaving as well. RIP G4.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#58 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Not surprised G4 is dying. G4 became Spike TV Lite and the only show that I would actually watch on the damn station was x-play (when it was still carried by DirectTV). I hated AOTS and Kevin Pereira with a passion. Even then x-play is still terrible compared to back in 2003/2004 ish when I started watching it.

I feel bad for everyone working there though. It's tough seeing people lose jobs in this economy. Best Wishes for Sess though, but I feel like there is better opportunities for him.

I do feel like x-play could continue on another network though. I mean the premise of the show in theory is still valid. As long as it stopped being as retarded as it became on G4.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#59 Katsumi

Katsumi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

I use to watch G4 a lot when they were TechTV. I actually got interested in computers by watching some of the shows with my brother. I'm sad to see the network pretty much in free fall right now.. but it was never the same after it became G4.

Kat_Siggy80.png Katsumica.png

#60 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

I use to watch G4 a lot when they were TechTV. I actually got interested in computers by watching some of the shows with my brother. I'm sad to see the network pretty much in free fall right now.. but it was never the same after it became G4.

TechTV is the reason I took Computer Science in college. I just watched it and got really interested in computers and such. To this day I am still pissed TechTV got bought and became G4.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly