now downloading update 11 of 935

ritchardf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
364 (100%)
so my buddy tells me he is going to get hot shots golf for the ps3 because its had an update that made it 3d. Ive had the game for a while, but i figure that might be pretty cool and it has multiplayer so i pop it in and check for an update, it has 935 updates. i guess ive never updated it, but wow, this is ridiculous.

here is an update, this is still downloading, this has to be over 2000 updates. does anyone else have this game? even when i get a set downloaded, it just finds more. this is what? almost 2 hours? and they are going fast for the most part. i dont know what these numbers are (kb or packets?) but its like over 10 million, i really wish i never even updated this, lol

eye of judgement had the same issue with these insanely huge updates. Anyone who complains about newer games big updates should go back and try these older games. I never uninstalled hot shots golf even when I sold the game simply because I never would want to reinstall and update if I ended up getting it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This is why I like PS+.[/QUOTE]

i have +, but for whatever reason it didnt work for this game, but i noticed i could start the game and play without updating, i had to try to play online for it to get the updates.

[quote name='ritchardf']i have +, but for whatever reason it didnt work for this game, but i noticed i could start the game and play without updating, i had to try to play online for it to get the updates.[/QUOTE]
So it's an in-game update instead of the normal prompt? It sucks when games do that (MGO, MAG, MotorStorm).

Mac OS X handles all the updates by also bundling them together into a single one every time a new one comes up, so even if you've missed a couple you can instead download the bundled one and get everything in one go. Sony really needs software developers that worry about things like this and other usability aspects of the PS3's OS.

This is my other issue with the PS3 and PS3 games besides the ridiculous number of useless(for me) firmware updates. It seems like every game has a bunch of patches for this and that, but none of them tell you what they're for.

What if a patch is for the multiplayer component of a game and I never intend on playing mp for it? Then that's time I've wasted that I'll never get back imo.

Crazy. I have deadliest warrior from psn and tried to play it a couple months ago and needed it an update. Okay but that shit was like 700 mb. Wha? Canceled it and decided to not play that game. Probably ever. Kinda crappy game anyways.

[quote name='War Machine']Mac OS X handles all the updates by also bundling them together into a single one every time a new one comes up, so even if you've missed a couple you can instead download the bundled one and get everything in one go. Sony really needs software developers that worry about things like this and other usability aspects of the PS3's OS.[/QUOTE]

That only applies to OS updates, not application updates.

PS+ only updates cames you've played in the last 45 days or something like that. So while it is nice, you still run into older games with HUGE update requirements. The next day, it should tell you that it updated it.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Crazy. I have deadliest warrior from psn and tried to play it a couple months ago and needed it an update. Okay but that shit was like 700 mb. Wha? Canceled it and decided to not play that game. Probably ever. Kinda crappy game anyways.[/QUOTE]
Battlefield 3 had an update of 700-800mb's as well. Once I Googled it I found out the bulk of it was multiplayer tweaks and other crap I could care less about. So I hit circle and continued playing the game w/o updating it. But I ended up getting bored with it and dumped it to BB before long.

Yeah, the PS3 updates are insane. I received a PS3 for Christmas and the updates drove me crazy. After the kids went to bed, I figured I could finally play a game. Nope, you have to wait an hour to update Killzone 3... I ended up just going back to playing my 360 while I waited for all the crap to update. It would also be great if the damn PS3 updates downloaded at a decent speed.

[quote name='War Machine']Mac OS X handles all the updates by also bundling them together into a single one every time a new one comes up, so even if you've missed a couple you can instead download the bundled one and get everything in one go. Sony really needs software developers that worry about things like this and other usability aspects of the PS3's OS.[/QUOTE]

A lot of places do that, especially for the most frequently hit items like browsers. On Windows they call it a rollup. It can be a LOT smaller than the separate updates since you are often updating the exact same file over and over. Simpler to just directly to the latest version. But there is a crapload of testing involved, so they don't want to do it too often.

[quote name='WebScud']That only applies to OS updates, not application updates.[/QUOTE]

There isn't any reason it can't. Microsoft regularly collects the updates for the Office apps into one file and calls it a Service Pack. They also put that updated version up for new installs to save a lot of updating time.

Before Service Pack 3 for XP came out, doing a reinstall on a machine that shipped with the original release or SP1 was getting to be a massive PITA. Especially for someone like me who has to do for clients frequently.

It's a big help if it's a big brand machine like HP or Dell, because I can just use the latest OEM version that is already at SP3 and has some other optional stuff pre-installed.

[quote name='nbballard']PS+ only updates cames you've played in the last 45 days or something like that. So while it is nice, you still run into older games with HUGE update requirements. The next day, it should tell you that it updated it.[/QUOTE]
THIS is the most annoying. I need updates for my old games like LBP. I'm a bit scared of what happens when I go back to that game. If I've played a game in the past 45 days I think I'd be more inclined to wait for the download, but when I put in my disc of Fallout 3 or Burnout Paradise and I have to sit thru those update even though I've had the game and PSN+ for weeks that's rather annoying. Even a HD space unfriendly system like "If I have the save file, then download the updates" would be more welcome than this.

bread's done
Back