Fishy ebay buyer?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

#31 exaznkid

exaznkid

Spare Some Change

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

have you tried contacting ebay or paypal, i would assume the best way to secure urself is to present ur concerns to them before any damage is done, preferably with someone who won't just brush you off and will actually listen to your concerns.

#32 praxus07

praxus07

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Sounds fishy, but it could possibly be that one address is hers, the other her family who'll accept delivery if she's not home? That's the only way it would sound plausible to me.
Praxus_07.png

#33 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Send a message asking about the address. Then once you receive a satisfactory reply, send it with insurance and signature required. If the post office tells you that you can insure for $200.01 and a signature will automatically be required, tell them you want a signature anyway. The signature with insurance over $200 is only for the post office's tracking purposes and you can't track it.

#34 wugenius

wugenius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

A couple of updates:

No response from the seller yet.

I called paypal and told them my situation, the lady put me on hold, and when she came back she told me that the 219 prescott pl address was correct and to send it to that one. I asked her how she figured this out, and she said her supervisor told her. (Not very reassuring) She also said she sent a message to the buyer requesting the correct address.

I told her that I wanted to make sure I was protected, and she said that whether I shipped to the 219 address or the 217 address I would be protected. I explained to her that I didn't want to be held accountable if she claims that she did not receive the item because it wasn't the exact address shown and she kept assuring me that I will be fine.

So.....basically paypal was no help.

#35 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

I know that the person recently left a negative feedback for one seller, but they have other recent auctions where they've left positive feedback for received items so I'm not really sure they're out to scam anyone. I think it's possible they live in some sort of housing that might have two numbers (like a 2 family house or apt, I haven't looked at the map though)

I personally would send it to the confirmed address without changing a single thing. I would also insure it as well. I don't know if signature confirmation will help much as you're already protected if it says delivered. A signature won't prevent you from getting a negative FB.. You really can't worry about the negative feedback. It isn't going to completely kill your ebay reputation, especially if you give a reasonable response to it explaining that your tracking says it was delivered and that she has a history of doing this. If you tried to get them to cancel the transaction then you can still get a negative feedback (which makes no sense to me).

I also want to say that I really fucking hate that negative feedback is just one way now. How stupid is that? If a buyer is a scammer or just really crap they should be open to negative feedback just as much as a seller is. That is without a doubt the worst thing about ebay in my opinion.

#36 wugenius

wugenius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

I saw the google earth view and it isn't a two address house. The two addresses are not in the same place.

#37 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

regardless of what happens, add them to the list:
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=148600

#38 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'd cut and run from a mess like this and refund her money. It's not worth the headache.

If you do go through with it, ship it with insurance + signature confirmation, eating the costs for each. $170 of insurance will be about $3-4, if I remember correctly, and signature confirmation is about $2. Small price to pay for making sure it gets there and covering yourself if it doesn't by no small surprise.

#39 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Even if the money is refunded he is still completely vulnerable to getting a negative feedback from them so since he already got paid he might as well just follow-through with the transaction. As long as it says it's delivered to the confirmed address ebay shouldn't be able to take back his money (assuming he's complying with the other seller protection req. of course), so I think a signature confirmation is not needed here and wouldn't help his case if the buyer filed a dispute

#40 Gorilla Monsoon

Gorilla Monsoon

Gorilla Monsoon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

I wouldn't ship this out. I'd even ask eBay for a refund on seller fees.

#41 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Even if the money is refunded he is still completely vulnerable to getting a negative feedback from them so since he already got paid he might as well just follow-through with the transaction. As long as it says it's delivered to the confirmed address ebay shouldn't be able to take back his money (assuming he's complying with the other seller protection req. of course), so I think a signature confirmation is not needed here and wouldn't help his case if the buyer filed a dispute

^ this.

Once you've received payment you can get negged. You are more likely to get negged for cancelling a transaction PLUS there is no guarantee the buyer will agree to your cancellation request so you'll be on the hook for both the listing fees and FVF with nothing to show.

There is no need for signature confirmation if the sale was under $250 including shipping. I understand why you would want it for safeguard but it serves no purpose. As long as you ship it to an address in the buyers zip code with delivery confirmation and the delivery confirmation shows delivered you'll be covered against an Item Not Received claim.

To be covered against an unauthorized use chargedback you MUST ship it to the address on the PayPal invoice.

What is the worse thing that can't happen? The address is wack and it's non deliverable and the item is returned to you OR the item is delivered and the buyer claims she didn't receive it and you get a negged.. but you wouldn't be out the money.

#42 wugenius

wugenius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

So the buyer responds today. With this:

hello i want to know what happening with the item you said you will shipping on friday and today is friday afternom and you dint shipp nothing today

She completely ignored my question about her address. So I sent her another message telling her the same shiz and I even translated it to her in Spanish and English so she can't claim she didn't know WTF I was talking about.

#43 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Signature Confirmation is, most certainly, worth it. Delivery confirmation means it was delivered. Scanned and mailboxed. The postman could make a mistake.

Signature Confirmation would give them less grounds to make a mistake as it would have to be given to a person, directly.

For $2 and change, I'll keep my piece of mind. I guess it depends on how you value your items. Something for $20, no. $50+, sign.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#44 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

So the buyer responds today. With this:

hello i want to know what happening with the item you said you will shipping on friday and today is friday afternom and you dint shipp nothing today

She completely ignored my question about her address. So I sent her another message telling her the same shiz and I even translated it to her in Spanish and English so she can't claim she didn't know WTF I was talking about.

dude, i would risk the negative and just not complete the transaction. You should call ebay and explain to them the situation, they'll probably refund your fees if you tell them about the address issue and the language barrier.

I'm actually thinking about selling my 3ds on ebay too. This makes me want to just take the ~$100 instant sale price and avoid this crap.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#45 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

This stuff is why I'm too scared to sell anything on ebay anymore, having a lowball on CAG is usually more safe. :lol:

I agree with confoosious, I'd back out if I were you as well.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#46 wugenius

wugenius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

I was worried about backing out because I was going to lose out on the ebay fees. But I would rather lose a portion of the cost in ebay fees, instead of losing 160 bucks. If by Monday this lady is still tripping, I am telling her to F*** off and give her the money back.

So I might have a 3DS to sell again CAGs. Ebay can suck it.

#47 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

It sounds like if you send it, you're gonna get a negative anyway cause she's insane. or loco.

On top of a potential issue with payment, claim, etc.

call ebay and ask if you can get your fees back if you refund her money because she is unable to communicate and the issue with the address.

I'm surprised you got 160 for a 3ds. It's only 169 retail.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#48 wugenius

wugenius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

It sounds like if you send it, you're gonna get a negative anyway cause she's insane. or loco.

On top of a potential issue with payment, claim, etc.

call ebay and ask if you can get your fees back if you refund her money because she is unable to communicate and the issue with the address.

I'm surprised you got 160 for a 3ds. It's only 169 retail.

Oh it was a 3ds bundle. It was the 3ds, extra game, and extra stuff like the nyko power plus battery and other stuff.

Where can I call ebay? I remember I couldn't find a phone number for the life of me when I had a douchebag bidder back out of paying for an auction they won, and couldn't find it.

#49 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

Signature Confirmation is, most certainly, worth it. Delivery confirmation means it was delivered. Scanned and mailboxed. The postman could make a mistake.

Signature Confirmation would give them less grounds to make a mistake as it would have to be given to a person, directly.

For $2 and change, I'll keep my piece of mind. I guess it depends on how you value your items. Something for $20, no. $50+, sign.

Piece of mind means nothing when dealing with ebay/paypal. Signature confirmation is a complete waste of money in this situation.. If you know how ebay/paypal works you'll realize this.

#50 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

Op how long has it been since the person won the auction?

#51 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

To the ssj person, you are blocked..for future reference. Saw your post because I wan't logged in. Signature Confirmation is worth it.

OP. Do what makes you comfortable(obviously). Don't let your items flap into the wind.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#52 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

Some people on CAG seem to the ebay is the devil, sheesh! Auctions like this are few and far between in my experience. I've had similar situations, and ebay sided with me after confirming the item was delivered (even w/o signature confirmation).

In the end though, like others have said, if you don't want to, don't. Message the person, tell them that you're sorry and you can't sell the item for whatever reason. Apologize and be as nice as you can.

Really though, she has a decent amount of good feedback, doesn't seem like a common occurrence. Try and confirm her address before anything like you have been doing, though. Just ask what her delivery address is because it doesn't seem correct online.

#53 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

To the ssj person, you are blocked..for future reference. Saw your post because I wan't logged in. Signature Confirmation is worth it.

Do you realize how ridiculous you are? Everyone who disagrees with you on CAG, you tell them "naaa naaa naaaa naaaa, I can't hear you" and put your virtual fingers in your ears.

Then you keep reminding them how you have them on ignore. Of course, you claim to have me on ignore too but read every post of mine. :roll:

I can't wait till this ChunLiBarbie dude is banned.

@potatoeman, yeah, the percentages are in your favor, but it just sucks when you sell something for a fair amount and get ripped off.

Ees7Y.jpg

#54 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

OP. Do what makes you comfortable(obviously). Don't let your items flap into the wind.

Explain what benefit having signature confirmation will provide.

The land of the law for eBay and PayPal is very simple.

If the total purchase price, including shipping is LESS then $250 all you need is delivery confirmation (DC). If the DC shows delivered to ANY address in the buyers zip code the seller will win an Item Not Received (INR) claim. PERIOD.

If the the total purchase price including shipping is MORE then $250 you MUST have signature confirmation on the package to win an Item Not Received claim.

Really... I'm not making this up.

#55 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

Anybody can claim an INR and try to scam you if they really wanted to. What the issue is the likelihood. Based on the last negative feedback, this person is more likely to scam our resident CAG here. So because of that reason, I personally would not ship it to them.

Not that it would matter when it comes to any scam but the mailman would actually deliver the item to the right address. Mailmen memorize the names of each address that's on their delivery route. At least, that's what my mailman does for me. I've had items addressed to the wrong address but my mailman still leaves my mail in my mailslot. I asked him how he knew and he explained to me that he knows everybody's name on his route. It's just part of the job he said. So in your case, the buyer should get their item even if the street address is off.

Now playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: Titanfall

#56 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

Signature confirmation really only does two things:

1. Satisfy the $250 threshold rule for eBay
2. Prevent any thieves from stealing a neighbor's package. Regardless of any INR case raised.

Now playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: Titanfall

#57 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

As it pertains to selling domestically the only time you're going to get "scammed" with an INR is if you don't get signature confirmation on an item over $250 or you don't use delivery confirmation period.

It is next to impossible for buyers to scam sellers with an INR complaint if the seller used the proper protection (DC on items less then $250; SC on items more then $250).

If you mailed something witout DC/SC OR the item doesn't show delivered (if you did use it) it's not really fair to call the buyer a scammer because you have no way to prove they received the item.

With domestic transactions the biggest scams are fraudulent SNAD (significantly not as described claims).

Another big one is the buyer that requests a partial refund. This is actually getting out of control and buyers have gotten comfortable contacting sellers and almost trying to extort $5, $10, $20, etc. in a partial refund in exchange for a positive feedback.

#58 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

OP: I'm not sure if you've decided anything yet, but your situation is sounding scarier every time you post.

If you still can, run. Begin the process immediately with eBay. There are plenty of good buyers on eBay willing to buy your 3DS.

You were right to start a thread about this. If they can't communicate properly in Engrish with you now, it will only get worse if something goes wrong. This sounds like a giant headache ready to explode with stupidity on their part. Most people are great on eBay, but you've found the weird side.

Refuse, Refund, Relist.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#59 RedRingOfDeath

RedRingOfDeath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

I would just refund the buyer and be done with the headache and hassle. Sorry, Im out of stock... Meh.

I know the muffin man!

#60 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Explain what benefit having signature confirmation will provide.

The land of the law for eBay and PayPal is very simple.

If the total purchase price, including shipping is LESS then $250 all you need is delivery confirmation (DC). If the DC shows delivered to ANY address in the buyers zip code the seller will win an Item Not Received (INR) claim. PERIOD.

If the the total purchase price including shipping is MORE then $250 you MUST have signature confirmation on the package to win an Item Not Received claim.

Really... I'm not making this up.

eBay's customer service has gone down hill. I wouldn't care what they think. Signature would be so I 'know' it was delivered to their address.