Silent Hill HD Collection 29.99 at Amazon FSSS PS3

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 Logical Dolphin

Logical Dolphin

TIME PARADOX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

I think I read 4 wasn't a Silent Hill originally and was later dubbed Silent Hill to help sales. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't played any of these so whats waiting a few more months for the bugs to be ironed out :)

I do believe that SH:4 wasn't from the same developers as SH 1-3...

#32 Logical Dolphin

Logical Dolphin

TIME PARADOX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

they should add SH1 in there and maybe SH: the room.

SH 1 is free on PS+ this month, if your are a subscriber...

#33 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

i went through 4 times to get all the endings/trophies except the 10star green hyper spray run.
i got the 2 saves only run, the 3 hours or less run (2 hours 10 mins) and all the endings (maria, mary, leave, dog, ufo). my first run took about 5-6 hours cuz i was doing it all virgin style and didnt look up any maps/walkthroughs/puzzle faqs. all my other plays were 2-3 hours long. once you know what you are doing, its like a resident evil speed run where you just zoom along.
i personally thought it was awesome and lots of fun, but i didnt play the ps2 version. and you can tell that this seems to have some graphical issues, especially with the limited fog. but it never froze up on me in silent hill 2. its a rental, and im dumb, but i havent touched it in 2 weeks but im gonna try to get through silent hill 3 in 3 runs this week hopefully. silent hill 2 was awesome tho.

n silent hill 4 the room just slapped the silent hill name and some walter sullivan cult references before it shipped. i loved it, but not real silent hill.

and im pretty sure konami is done patching this. they released it and a day 1 patch and that seems to be about it. it was delayed a long time, if they knew how to fix and patch these problems they would have/should have done it already. this month of madness for silent hill was a huge mistake. Konami has fallen alot from Silent Hill/MGS/Zone of Enders days.

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#34 Logical Dolphin

Logical Dolphin

TIME PARADOX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Fry's is also selling the PS3 version of the Silent Hill Collection for $29.99...

#35 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Which system did you play it on?

I'm curious too, I played it on the 360 and couldn't get over how bad/different it looked compared to the PC version, which was just a hi-res version of the original ... which is what this should have been, well that and the fact that the audio channels were reversed, sounds coming from the right when enemy was coming from the left ... and his breathing ... and ... and I just stopped playing ... :applause:

#36 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

I think I read 4 wasn't a Silent Hill originally and was later dubbed Silent Hill to help sales. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember hearing the same, though I can't recall the source.

I do believe that SH:4 wasn't from the same developers as SH 1-3...

Team Silent, a subdivision KCET, was responsible for SH1-SH4. Each game had a different person as the helm. The intent of SH4 was to take a radically different approach to horror games which sort of makes it the black sheep of the series.

#37 acsguitar

acsguitar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

So I've considered getting this but seriously 2 games for 30 bucks. Crappily remastered? no Silent Hill 1? I love the Sony remasters but come on this is a massive rip off IMO.

#38 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

and im pretty sure konami is done patching this. they released it and a day 1 patch and that seems to be about it. it was delayed a long time, if they knew how to fix and patch these problems they would have/should have done it already. this month of madness for silent hill was a huge mistake. Konami has fallen alot from Silent Hill/MGS/Zone of Enders days.

Should be at least one more patch coming. It was announced yesterday. Not really sure what it will fix tho.

http://www.joystiq.c...-hd-collection/

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#39 BNoyes

BNoyes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

I rented the 360 version from Gamefly and thought it was great. I'm planning on picking it up eventually, but I'm staying away from the PS3 version.

Any good reason that they didn't include 1 or 4 in this? 2 games is not a collection, especially with how many Silent Hill games there are.

PS1 games don't upscale to HD properly, so that's why SH1 wasn't included. As for SH4, I guess you could argue that since it wasn't originally intended to be a SH game, they decided to leave it out. But I don't know. I didn't like The Room very much, but I still think it would have been nice to have it in the collection. However, the 360 version was a pretty big install even without it, so it would have had to put SH4 on a second disc for the 360. Maybe that was part of their decision. Who knows.

Edited by BNoyes, 27 April 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#40 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

PS1 games don't upscale to HD properly, so that's why SH1 wasn't included.

I know it's a shame isn't it? ...

Posted Image

... Lol.

#41 Prismatico

Prismatico

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

i picked up the 360 version today from best buy (29.99 this week) via gc and so far its been smooth sailing. only the ps3 version seems to be plagued with bugs.

Nope, it's both. PS3 is slightly worse, but 360 is not without its share of unique issues as well (some have said even less fog in that one).

Another major complaint, and major problem for me, is that apparently this HD collection is way too dark, to the point where you can't even see where some doors are.

I don't understand how they can Fuck up these HD collections so badily. Apparently these touch ups require a lot more care than the publishers expected.

Actually, the brightness wasn't a problem for me, so perhaps it's YMMV depending on your TV. There's obviously still an issue for some people, but I've only seen that one angry video mention it.

Meanwhile, the people they put to work on this were a developer with a pretty awful track record (Hijinx Studios). They are the only people in my opinion to "mess up Frogger" with Frogger Returns. Such a simple concept that is, yet they couldn't even do that competently. That's the issue with these HD Collections, they try to save money by outsourcing to small-time developers but in the process some of them can't handle the work since their previous experience was almost exclusively on handheld games. That's not to say handheld games are bad, just, I imagine the workload and technical processes are quite different.

Are the technical problems are as bad as they say? I've seen many reviewers but its so mixed I can't tell whats what. Plan on picking up a copy soon

I honestly think some of them that make no mention of technical issues didn't even play the game (the HD Collection), they just assigned someone to do a write up who had played the original versions. That's the vibe I got from reading one the other day...

Edited by Prismatico, 27 April 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#42 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

I never played a Silent Hill game before, so I got the first one free with PS+. This...I'll probably skip and look for PS2 versions. I looked up the PC ones (apparently now the 'definitive' versions) but they are expensive for 10 year old games.
Posted Image

#43 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

The brightness killed it for me...360 version. That and a lot of the ambiance (both audio and visual) was simply gone. The lack of fog is pretty sad too but I can deal with that, I just hate it when you see things you're not supposed to (like the end of the game world) because of the missing fog.

No matter how you look at it they dropped the ball on it unfortunately.

Also the whole "can't upscale SH1" crap is just that, crap. First off, I remember playing a port on the PC a while back and it ran just fine. In fact it had to come with a speed limiter because by default it actually ran extremely fast (as in it looked like your guy was running around). I'm sure the fans wouldn't have cared if it wasn't a perfect port, it would have been better than nothing...I'm sure they could have even just ran it in a window or something. Secondly they did that "reimaging" of it so at the very least they could have included that, again, better than nothing. Third, why not go all out with a REmake type version for it to kick off the collection?

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#44 MR_E

MR_E

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

As for the SH4 thing:

-Silent Hill 4 was actually the last SH game credited to/made by Team Silent.

-By most actual documented accounts and interviews, SH4 began alongside the development of SH3, starting off under the name "Room 302" (possibly as a spinoff, depending on who you talk to), and then became full canon during early production or pre-production and was Silent Hill 4 for most of its life. Most of the "It was another game and they just slapped a coat of paint on it right before release" nonsense is the result of fans taking a few quotes from early interviews (about it starting off as "Room 302" in early development) and blowing them out of proportion because they didn't like the different direction the game took and it gave them a reason to refuse to accept it as part of the series. *shrug*
So, yes, by most accounts, largely conjecture spread around the internet like wildfire by disgruntled fans (and obviously still continuing on years later, even though most of that's been removed from fan and wiki sites as unfactual). But if you don't want to play the last Silent Hill game made by Team Silent because of something you read on an internet forum or something your friend said, all the more power to you.

#45 Prismatico

Prismatico

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

The brightness killed it for me...360 version. That and a lot of the ambiance (both audio and visual) was simply gone. The lack of fog is pretty sad too but I can deal with that, I just hate it when you see things you're not supposed to (like the end of the game world) because of the missing fog.

No matter how you look at it they dropped the ball on it unfortunately.

Also the whole "can't upscale SH1" crap is just that, crap. First off, I remember playing a port on the PC a while back and it ran just fine. In fact it had to come with a speed limiter because by default it actually ran extremely fast (as in it looked like your guy was running around). I'm sure the fans wouldn't have cared if it wasn't a perfect port, it would have been better than nothing...I'm sure they could have even just ran it in a window or something. Secondly they did that "reimaging" of it so at the very least they could have included that, again, better than nothing. Third, why not go all out with a REmake type version for it to kick off the collection?

A REmake type version would require a large budget and far more resources than Konami probably has available right now. As for the other things, that still requires time/work, and they hired a joke developer (to save money) to handle it so chances are anything more would have been just as bad but taken even longer to come out, and possibly for $50 like they charged for Metal Gear. Sales wouldn't have differed much to justify it, so chalk it all up to business decisions.

#46 d3adliner

d3adliner

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

I hate these upscaled games. They can't even find the time to replace the old crappy textures. As an example, the "HD" version of RE4 looks like complete garbage in comparison to the Wii version running on Dolphin with an unofficial HD texture pack. I mean... there's not even a contest as to which looks better. The "HD" version looks nearly exactly the same as the untouched Wii version but with some added edge enhancement.

#47 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Actually, the brightness wasn't a problem for me, so perhaps it's YMMV depending on your TV. There's obviously still an issue for some people, but I've only seen that one angry video mention it.

I think I've heard the brightness complaint a couple times (one being the angry video) but it's good to hear that it may just be a TV problem.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#48 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

Maybe Konami should Kickstart it next time. :lol:

#49 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

A REmake type version would require a large budget and far more resources than Konami probably has available right now. As for the other things, that still requires time/work, and they hired a joke developer (to save money) to handle it so chances are anything more would have been just as bad but taken even longer to come out, and possibly for $50 like they charged for Metal Gear. Sales wouldn't have differed much to justify it, so chalk it all up to business decisions.

That's all true, I just disagree with it not being a good business decision. Release an incomplete "collection" and then half-assing what they did include is a bad business decision. Windowed port, REmake type deal...IMO more budget allowance would have equaled more revenue. Not only did they put out a crappy game but they hurt their company's name in general.

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#50 redroversk

redroversk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I'm holding out for $10, I love trainwrecks. *looks over at DNF*

#51 Prismatico

Prismatico

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

That's all true, I just disagree with it not being a good business decision. Release an incomplete "collection" and then half-assing what they did include is a bad business decision. Windowed port, REmake type deal...IMO more budget allowance would have equaled more revenue. Not only did they put out a crappy game but they hurt their company's name in general.

I didn't say it was good, I meant it was logical for them. Konami doesn't have a whole lot of money to go around, and outside of Metal Gear they don't have IP's worthy of dumping money into anymore as they've lost most of their talent that created their older hits. It doesn't help that FIFA has been dominating PES in recent years, either.

They couldn't just pour a ton of resources into the new Silent Hill game, the HD Collection, and the Vita game all at once, so that's what their original mistake was: they stretched what they could use for this franchise in 2012 far too thin. All three have been delayed at least once; they clearly screwed up. If they had planned something more ambitious as you suggest, the project probably wouldn't have been greenlit when it was.

Obviously with more money allocated to resources and more competent people working on it things would have been better, but that's true for video games 99% of the time (Kinect Star Wars being an example of an exception).

#52 J Rokk

J Rokk

- The IT Factor -

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

I have thought about snagging this for the 360, as it has been ages since I played them, but I think I will wait and get it from Gamestop via store credit.

I would rather have the DMC collection, as stated earlier in the thread myself.

:bouncy:

Been away from gaming for almost a year and a half. It feels good to be back, now I just have to catch up on a lot of good titles I have missed out on over the last two years = huge backlog for me.

:3ds: 12/1/2013 - Currently playing - Nintendo 3DS (Mario and Luigi: Dream Team)

Upgrading PS3 hard drive then hoping to dive into "The Last of Us"

#53 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

IGN gave this collection a 9 I believe. Hehe.

#54 PublikDefender

PublikDefender

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for all the info, guys. Will pass.

#55 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

'Konami has issued a rare Two Patch Announcement for Silent Hill Downpour and Silent Hill HD Collection, planning to fix framerate problems and audio synching in the former, and auto-save issues in the latter.'

silent hill hd collection had a lot of problems, but i dont remember anyone complaining about an auto-save issue?

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#56 MR_E

MR_E

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

'Konami has issued a rare Two Patch Announcement for Silent Hill Downpour and Silent Hill HD Collection, planning to fix framerate problems and audio synching in the former, and auto-save issues in the latter.'

silent hill hd collection had a lot of problems, but i dont remember anyone complaining about an auto-save issue?

I think that whoever you got that news post from got it backwards. I got the e-mail from konami directly, and I believe it was the other way around (framerate/syncing in HD Collection and auto-save issues in Downpour). In fact, HD Collection doesn't even autosave.

Edited by MR_E, 28 April 2012 - 10:05 PM.