Silent Hill HD Collection 29.99 at Amazon FSSS PS3

lilseung

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Not sure if its permanent or a temporary drop but it's the lowest I've seen for a new copy at Amazon.

There are many complaints about the the collection (mainly for ps3 version) despite the first patch it got. There supposedly is a second patch on the way but who know how much it will fix. I honestly just want it for the cover art. I think it looks really good haha.

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-H...XAIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335503043&sr=8-1

My first thread so help me out if I'm doing something wrong.

[quote name='iduncurr']Honestly, I was hoping the Devil May Cry HD collection would drop to 29.99 instead.
Thanks for the heads up though.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see DMC HD to drop its price sometime soon but its not getting the same hate treatment like Silent Hill HD to drop so fast :roll:

@technicalstylez
Ah thanks. Fixed now.

What was wrong with Silent Hill HD in the first place?
Was it a few bugs they needed to air out or was it the overall quality of the import?

[quote name='iduncurr']What was wrong with Silent Hill HD in the first place?
Was it a few bugs they needed to air out or was it the overall quality of the import?[/QUOTE]

Hearing from others who played the ps3 version, it has alot of issues such as frame rates, freezing, audio problems, and something to do with there being less fogs. I may be missing some still. I was going to completely forget about buying this game but they recently announced that the new patch is on the way. Hopefully it fixes most of the problems.

Was it a few bugs they needed to air out or was it the overall quality of the import?[/QUOTE]

Audio synch issues, fog (or lack of it) issues, and some really bad texture problems (run a Google image search on this one - the boat-rowing portion near the end of SH2 looks AWFUL). Sounded bad enough where I won't be purchasing until it hits a sub-$15 price tag.

Way more than a few. Framerate, audio, graphics (things not loading when they should), and some minor aesthetic changes which are major to a lot of the die-hard fans. The aesthetic shifts likely won't be changed, but the rest is said to be receiving a patch at some point.

i picked up the 360 version today from best buy (29.99 this week) via gc and so far its been smooth sailing. only the ps3 version seems to be plagued with bugs.

[quote name='Prismatico']Way more than a few. Framerate, audio, graphics (things not loading when they should), and some minor aesthetic changes which are major to a lot of the die-hard fans. The aesthetic shifts likely won't be changed, but the rest is said to be receiving a patch at some point.[/QUOTE]

Do you think minor aesthetic changes affect people new to the series? I'm planning to get into Silent Hill series soon and I prefer my experience to be scary as possible.

[quote name='lilseung']Do you think minor aesthetic changes affect people new to the series? I'm planning to get into Silent Hill series soon and I prefer my experience to be scary as possible.[/QUOTE]

The voice acting sounds way better, but you might want to check this out for a few comparisons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do2nP22QQ28

Games $29.99 at Best Buy also. Both PS3 and 360. I'm still holding out at sub-$20 for this game though because I've read about all the problems with it. I also already have 2-3 on PS2.

I want this for ps3, but im gonna wait for a lower price as well.

people new to the series won't notice the things like the fog, but it sounds like the ps3 version has lots of technical bugs that everyone will notice.

Another major complaint, and major problem for me, is that apparently this HD collection is way too dark, to the point where you can't even see where some doors are.

I don't understand how they can fuck up these HD collections so badily. Apparently these touch ups require a lot more care than the publishers expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='don_juan_darko']The voice acting sounds way better, but you might want to check this out for a few comparisons.[/QUOTE]

Man, I remember all the pissing and moaning over the announcement that the games were going to be redubbed. It's cool that they kept the option for the old dub in 2, but the new dubs are just *better*, as I knew they'd be all along. The dub director they tasked with the HD remakes, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, is responsible for some of the best anime dubs ever produced, as well as being the vocalist for some of Silent Hill's best music. It's really too bad about all the other issues this collection has, but the new voice acting is the best thing to happen to these games.

they fucked up the graphics alot due to the graphical limitations of the ps2 they expertly used fog and other effects to give the game a certain atmosphere.

now the textures look like shit, the fog looks like shit and you can see things that are unfinished that were hidden by the effects used in the ps2 version.

point being... the ps2 version is graphically superior and a superior experience to the ps3 version.

go play the games on ps2 or xbox dont waste your time on these terrible bug filled remakes.

Are the technical problems are as bad as they say? I've seen many reviewers but its so mixed I can't tell whats what. Plan on picking up a copy soon

do they even plan on fixing these issues? this was like the one game i was actually looking forward to play since i never got the games on my ps2. I googled the technical problems they had and it was pretty awful, it's amazing this even got released. This was supposed to be the one thing to save the Silent Hill series from the franchise graveyard and they managed to royally fuck it up

never played either, ran through silent hill 2 about 4 times and got all trophies except the 10* green spray run. great fun eitherway, but i could tell the fog was botchy. sh2 ran pretty perfect for me, but sh3 is a different story and the gameplay is very laggy. sh2 was only laggy in the streets but thats cuz the fog was reduced so its weird there are too many monsters and they stand still and aren't hidden. waiting for sub 15, got it rented through gamefly.

[quote name='Velo214']never played either, ran through silent hill 2 about 4 times and got all trophies except the 10* green spray run. great fun eitherway, but i could tell the fog was botchy. sh2 ran pretty perfect for me, but sh3 is a different story and the gameplay is very laggy. sh2 was only laggy in the streets but thats cuz the fog was reduced so its weird there are too many monsters and they stand still and aren't hidden. waiting for sub 15, got it rented through gamefly.[/QUOTE]

Damn, 4 times. About how long was each playthrough?

I played through both games, and the only real bothersome issues I ran into were:
-Slowdown...as in running underwater slowdown (only in a few brief isolated sections in SH2...really just a couple few-minute areas outside in the fog...but a bit more prevalent in SH3...still isolated, but a lot more frequent and occurring in some indoor areas, too...with a few sections that dropped from normal down to half speed and back just by turning the flashlight off and on)
-Audio syncing during cutscenes being off by a few seconds sometimes in SH3 (fairly random - sometimes they'd be perfectly synched, but after dying and reloading, they'd be off by like a whole sentence)
-Gunshot audio glitches in SH2 (not bothersome...actually sounded like bullets ricocheting a few times and would have almost been cool if not for the fact that it happened when I actually hit what I was shooting)

Other than those issues (that only cropped up now and then and certainly weren't game-breaking...and that will hopefully get patched out this time around), it's perfectly playable and enjoyable. There are a few questionable aesthetic choices...like James' weird breathing noise in SH2...but nothing too bad (I'm guessing the fog difference is more likely due to compromises made in trying to get the fog to render correctly on the ps3...but it's actually fairly similar to the fog in SH1 and really not a big deal). The infamous "water texture" everyone is talking about is pretty much visible during like 10 seconds of cutscene before it is obscured by fog...and was a lot milder on my tv... The images floating around look like the contrast has been cranked for effect...and if your entire 7 hour game experience is ruined by 10 seconds of slightly weird looking water behind you when you're getting into a boat, well...

Not that I'm excusing Konami for releasing games they admitted they knew had performance issues or saying they shouldn't be held responsible for that (companies really need to put out finished products again instead of broken products with day 1 patches). I am saying, though, as a long-time fan of the series, I enjoyed playing through the games again with the new coat of paint despite the flaws, and, from an objective non-nostalgia-tinged standpoint, I actually think the new SH2 voice acting might be better (not as big on some of the SH3 actors, but it's still pretty solid). If they manage to patch out the technical issues, it'll be a pretty solid collection. That's my take on it.

Any good reason that they didn't include 1 or 4 in this? 2 games is not a collection, especially with how many Silent Hill games there are.

I would consider this if the 360 game was $29 on Amazon as well, I wouldn't touch the PS3 version until the patches fix the errors in the game.

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']Any good reason that they didn't include 1 or 4 in this? 2 games is not a collection, especially with how many Silent Hill games there are.[/QUOTE]

Because the first is a PS1 game, and they couldn't really upgrade a PS1 game to HD. A remake would be great, though!

And I guess they ignored 4 because it seems to be so hated.

They could've at least tacked on Origins and a Move-enabled version of Shattered Memories.

I think I read 4 wasn't a Silent Hill originally and was later dubbed Silent Hill to help sales. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't played any of these so whats waiting a few more months for the bugs to be ironed out :)

You're better off playing the PC version with the widescreen hack. It's funny how that version manages widescreen HD without any compromise yet something specifically designed for it winds up such a mess, from what I read you can get 3D vision to work with it but I'm not sure since they cut

[quote name='MR_E']I played through both games, and the only real bothersome issues I ran into were:
-Slowdown...as in running underwater slowdown (only in a few brief isolated sections in SH2...really just a couple few-minute areas outside in the fog...but a bit more prevalent in SH3...still isolated, but a lot more frequent and occurring in some indoor areas, too...with a few sections that dropped from normal down to half speed and back just by turning the flashlight off and on)
-Audio syncing during cutscenes being off by a few seconds sometimes in SH3 (fairly random - sometimes they'd be perfectly synched, but after dying and reloading, they'd be off by like a whole sentence)
-Gunshot audio glitches in SH2 (not bothersome...actually sounded like bullets ricocheting a few times and would have almost been cool if not for the fact that it happened when I actually hit what I was shooting)

Other than those issues (that only cropped up now and then and certainly weren't game-breaking...and that will hopefully get patched out this time around), it's perfectly playable and enjoyable. There are a few questionable aesthetic choices...like James' weird breathing noise in SH2...but nothing too bad (I'm guessing the fog difference is more likely due to compromises made in trying to get the fog to render correctly on the ps3...but it's actually fairly similar to the fog in SH1 and really not a big deal). The infamous "water texture" everyone is talking about is pretty much visible during like 10 seconds of cutscene before it is obscured by fog...and was a lot milder on my tv... The images floating around look like the contrast has been cranked for effect...and if your entire 7 hour game experience is ruined by 10 seconds of slightly weird looking water behind you when you're getting into a boat, well...

Not that I'm excusing Konami for releasing games they admitted they knew had performance issues or saying they shouldn't be held responsible for that (companies really need to put out finished products again instead of broken products with day 1 patches). I am saying, though, as a long-time fan of the series, I enjoyed playing through the games again with the new coat of paint despite the flaws, and, from an objective non-nostalgia-tinged standpoint, I actually think the new SH2 voice acting might be better (not as big on some of the SH3 actors, but it's still pretty solid). If they manage to patch out the technical issues, it'll be a pretty solid collection. That's my take on it.[/QUOTE]

Which system did you play it on?

[quote name='Curlis']I think I read 4 wasn't a Silent Hill originally and was later dubbed Silent Hill to help sales. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't played any of these so whats waiting a few more months for the bugs to be ironed out :)[/QUOTE]

I do believe that SH:4 wasn't from the same developers as SH 1-3...

i went through 4 times to get all the endings/trophies except the 10star green hyper spray run.
i got the 2 saves only run, the 3 hours or less run (2 hours 10 mins) and all the endings (maria, mary, leave, dog, ufo). my first run took about 5-6 hours cuz i was doing it all virgin style and didnt look up any maps/walkthroughs/puzzle faqs. all my other plays were 2-3 hours long. once you know what you are doing, its like a resident evil speed run where you just zoom along.
i personally thought it was awesome and lots of fun, but i didnt play the ps2 version. and you can tell that this seems to have some graphical issues, especially with the limited fog. but it never froze up on me in silent hill 2. its a rental, and im dumb, but i havent touched it in 2 weeks but im gonna try to get through silent hill 3 in 3 runs this week hopefully. silent hill 2 was awesome tho.

n silent hill 4 the room just slapped the silent hill name and some walter sullivan cult references before it shipped. i loved it, but not real silent hill.

and im pretty sure konami is done patching this. they released it and a day 1 patch and that seems to be about it. it was delayed a long time, if they knew how to fix and patch these problems they would have/should have done it already. this month of madness for silent hill was a huge mistake. Konami has fallen alot from Silent Hill/MGS/Zone of Enders days.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Which system did you play it on?[/QUOTE]

I'm curious too, I played it on the 360 and couldn't get over how bad/different it looked compared to the PC version, which was just a hi-res version of the original ... which is what this should have been, well that and the fact that the audio channels were reversed, sounds coming from the right when enemy was coming from the left ... and his breathing ... and ... and I just stopped playing ... :applause:

[quote name='Curlis']I think I read 4 wasn't a Silent Hill originally and was later dubbed Silent Hill to help sales. Correct me if I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]
I remember hearing the same, though I can't recall the source.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I do believe that SH:4 wasn't from the same developers as SH 1-3...[/QUOTE]
Team Silent, a subdivision KCET, was responsible for SH1-SH4. Each game had a different person as the helm. The intent of SH4 was to take a radically different approach to horror games which sort of makes it the black sheep of the series.

So I've considered getting this but seriously 2 games for 30 bucks. Crappily remastered? no Silent Hill 1? I love the Sony remasters but come on this is a massive rip off IMO.

[quote name='Velo214']and im pretty sure konami is done patching this. they released it and a day 1 patch and that seems to be about it. it was delayed a long time, if they knew how to fix and patch these problems they would have/should have done it already. this month of madness for silent hill was a huge mistake. Konami has fallen alot from Silent Hill/MGS/Zone of Enders days.[/QUOTE]

Should be at least one more patch coming. It was announced yesterday. Not really sure what it will fix tho.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/25/konami-patching-up-both-silent-hill-downpour-and-hd-collection/

I rented the 360 version from Gamefly and thought it was great. I'm planning on picking it up eventually, but I'm staying away from the PS3 version.

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']Any good reason that they didn't include 1 or 4 in this? 2 games is not a collection, especially with how many Silent Hill games there are.[/QUOTE]

PS1 games don't upscale to HD properly, so that's why SH1 wasn't included. As for SH4, I guess you could argue that since it wasn't originally intended to be a SH game, they decided to leave it out. But I don't know. I didn't like The Room very much, but I still think it would have been nice to have it in the collection. However, the 360 version was a pretty big install even without it, so it would have had to put SH4 on a second disc for the 360. Maybe that was part of their decision. Who knows.

[quote name='BNoyes']PS1 games don't upscale to HD properly, so that's why SH1 wasn't included.[/QUOTE]

I know it's a shame isn't it? ...

53247-Silent_Hill_%28J%29-4.jpg

... Lol.

[quote name='technicalstylez']i picked up the 360 version today from best buy (29.99 this week) via gc and so far its been smooth sailing. only the ps3 version seems to be plagued with bugs.[/QUOTE]

Nope, it's both. PS3 is slightly worse, but 360 is not without its share of unique issues as well (some have said even less fog in that one).

[quote name='tylerh1701']
Another major complaint, and major problem for me, is that apparently this HD collection is way too dark, to the point where you can't even see where some doors are.

I don't understand how they can fuck up these HD collections so badily. Apparently these touch ups require a lot more care than the publishers expected.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the brightness wasn't a problem for me, so perhaps it's YMMV depending on your TV. There's obviously still an issue for some people, but I've only seen that one angry video mention it.

Meanwhile, the people they put to work on this were a developer with a pretty awful track record (Hijinx Studios). They are the only people in my opinion to "mess up Frogger" with Frogger Returns. Such a simple concept that is, yet they couldn't even do that competently. That's the issue with these HD Collections, they try to save money by outsourcing to small-time developers but in the process some of them can't handle the work since their previous experience was almost exclusively on handheld games. That's not to say handheld games are bad, just, I imagine the workload and technical processes are quite different.

[quote name='ahchamna']Are the technical problems are as bad as they say? I've seen many reviewers but its so mixed I can't tell whats what. Plan on picking up a copy soon[/QUOTE]

I honestly think some of them that make no mention of technical issues didn't even play the game (the HD Collection), they just assigned someone to do a write up who had played the original versions. That's the vibe I got from reading one the other day...

I never played a Silent Hill game before, so I got the first one free with PS+. This...I'll probably skip and look for PS2 versions. I looked up the PC ones (apparently now the 'definitive' versions) but they are expensive for 10 year old games.

The brightness killed it for me...360 version. That and a lot of the ambiance (both audio and visual) was simply gone. The lack of fog is pretty sad too but I can deal with that, I just hate it when you see things you're not supposed to (like the end of the game world) because of the missing fog.

No matter how you look at it they dropped the ball on it unfortunately.

Also the whole "can't upscale SH1" crap is just that, crap. First off, I remember playing a port on the PC a while back and it ran just fine. In fact it had to come with a speed limiter because by default it actually ran extremely fast (as in it looked like your guy was running around). I'm sure the fans wouldn't have cared if it wasn't a perfect port, it would have been better than nothing...I'm sure they could have even just ran it in a window or something. Secondly they did that "reimaging" of it so at the very least they could have included that, again, better than nothing. Third, why not go all out with a REmake type version for it to kick off the collection?

As for the SH4 thing:

-Silent Hill 4 was actually the last SH game credited to/made by Team Silent.

-By most actual documented accounts and interviews, SH4 began alongside the development of SH3, starting off under the name "Room 302" (possibly as a spinoff, depending on who you talk to), and then became full canon during early production or pre-production and was Silent Hill 4 for most of its life. Most of the "It was another game and they just slapped a coat of paint on it right before release" nonsense is the result of fans taking a few quotes from early interviews (about it starting off as "Room 302" in early development) and blowing them out of proportion because they didn't like the different direction the game took and it gave them a reason to refuse to accept it as part of the series. *shrug*
So, yes, by most accounts, largely conjecture spread around the internet like wildfire by disgruntled fans (and obviously still continuing on years later, even though most of that's been removed from fan and wiki sites as unfactual). But if you don't want to play the last Silent Hill game made by Team Silent because of something you read on an internet forum or something your friend said, all the more power to you.

[quote name='JKSonic']The brightness killed it for me...360 version. That and a lot of the ambiance (both audio and visual) was simply gone. The lack of fog is pretty sad too but I can deal with that, I just hate it when you see things you're not supposed to (like the end of the game world) because of the missing fog.

No matter how you look at it they dropped the ball on it unfortunately.

Also the whole "can't upscale SH1" crap is just that, crap. First off, I remember playing a port on the PC a while back and it ran just fine. In fact it had to come with a speed limiter because by default it actually ran extremely fast (as in it looked like your guy was running around). I'm sure the fans wouldn't have cared if it wasn't a perfect port, it would have been better than nothing...I'm sure they could have even just ran it in a window or something. Secondly they did that "reimaging" of it so at the very least they could have included that, again, better than nothing. Third, why not go all out with a REmake type version for it to kick off the collection?[/QUOTE]

A REmake type version would require a large budget and far more resources than Konami probably has available right now. As for the other things, that still requires time/work, and they hired a joke developer (to save money) to handle it so chances are anything more would have been just as bad but taken even longer to come out, and possibly for $50 like they charged for Metal Gear. Sales wouldn't have differed much to justify it, so chalk it all up to business decisions.

I hate these upscaled games. They can't even find the time to replace the old crappy textures. As an example, the "HD" version of RE4 looks like complete garbage in comparison to the Wii version running on Dolphin with an unofficial HD texture pack. I mean... there's not even a contest as to which looks better. The "HD" version looks nearly exactly the same as the untouched Wii version but with some added edge enhancement.

[quote name='Prismatico']Actually, the brightness wasn't a problem for me, so perhaps it's YMMV depending on your TV. There's obviously still an issue for some people, but I've only seen that one angry video mention it.[/QUOTE]

I think I've heard the brightness complaint a couple times (one being the angry video) but it's good to hear that it may just be a TV problem.

bread's done
Back