Photo
- - - - -

PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale - Coming Holiday 2012, First Gameplay Footage Un

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 jwk94

jwk94

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

Posted Image

For years PlayStation fans have wished that a title similar to Nintendo's Super Smash Bros would make its debut on a PlayStation platform. Today, that dream has been realized in PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale.

Previously referred to as Title Fight, All-Stars was first revealed by Paul Gale of paulgalenetwork.com. As it turned out, all of Paul's details about All Stars were in fact true.

GameTrailers TV with Geoff Keighley

Developed by SuperBot Entertainment, All-Stars features a robust cast of both PlayStation mascots, and 3rd party characters set to a Super Smash Bros type gameplay that allows up to 4 players to duke it out on-screen. The current roster is comprised of: Sweet Tooth, Sly Cooper, PaRappa the Rapper, Fat Princess, Colonel Radec, and Kratos.

Each character will sport a different play style, allowing anybody to hop on All-Stars and find a character that suits their needs. Move set wise, each character features your basic kicks and punches along with a three-tiered special system.

Specials in All-Stars are executed by obtaining energy - indicated by the bar next to your character's portrait - from orbs dropped by players when they take damage, the more orbs you collect, the more energy you have which will allow you to execute your special. While levels 1 and 2 seem to be flashy attacks that based on what that character is most known for, the level 3 special is where the game really takes a turn.

From what we've been shown so far, each characters' level 3 special transforms them into a damage-dealing brawler. Fat Princess calls upon her army of minions as she sits atop her throne eating cake while her vassals attack the other players. Kratos dawns his Armor of Aries which grants him the power of the gods to slay the competition. Colonel Radec equips a jetpack and goes into a first-person mode - think Solid Snake's Final Smash in Super Smash Bros Brawl - that lets the player rain down hell. Sweet Tooth hops in his ice cream truck that promptly transforms into a robot around three times the size of the rest of the players. Although it would be nice if the level 3 specials were a bit more cinematic, I suppose that would only delay the fast-paced action that All-Stars looks to offer. Did I mention it runs at 60FPS?

Levels in All-Stars are taken from various PlayStation franchises. What makes the levels so interesting is that SuperBot meshed franchises together for some levels. As a result, you'll be fighting in a stage with Patapons messing with Hades in the background of one stage and a Ratchet and Clank-Hydra themed stage. The backgrounds in each of these stages will mostly be dynamic, meaning the characters you see in the background will interact with the players during battle.

The stage that really caught my attention was LittleBigPlanet's stage. This stage starts off as a plain area, and as time passes, the game begins to build the environment, replicating the "Create. Share. Play." aspect of the LittleBigPlanet series. The final phase of this level reveals the Buzz Quiz Show announcer as he takes center stage, periodically shocking players during the match or offering players buffs for answering questions correctly. If SuperBot is able to come up with some more interesting stages, I'll surely be impressed.

Fans of the Super Smash Bros series will also be delighted to know that All-Stars will feature an local and online multiplayer, free for all, and other game modes!

Overally, All-Stars looks like an amazing game. While some might dismiss it as a shameless knockoff of the Super Smash Bros series, I'm certainly excited for this game. I do agree that the game largely resembles Super Smash Bros is almost every aspect, but as long as the game is good, I'm completely fine with that. PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale is due this Holiday season exclusively for the PlayStation 3. As Paul Gale already reported, All-Stars will be playable during this year's E3 so stay tuned!

PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale - Coming Holiday 2012, First Gameplay Footage Unveiled - AnalogHype

I'm really excited!!!

#2 FactionG

FactionG

Too many backlog games!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

O fucking yes! :applause:

#3 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Looks like a lot of fun. Watched the premier on GTTV and it looked really good. Got to love the GOW levels that look pretty cool.

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

#4 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Color me impressed. Will be interesting to see how they handle online. Did anyone hear if this will be 60 fps?

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#5 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

This looks really good but I just don't have the nostalgia or affection for Sony characters. It sounds like a lot of PS3 owners are going to be happy though!
\\:D/

#6 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Will pick this one up cheap to be sure, but not on release. I'm more of a 2D/2.5D fighter type, but this game does seem interesting enough to be added to my collection eventually.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#7 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=309617
Looks like Sony's got a winner

wonder if they'll surprise us with a Move tie in announcement

#8 UjnHunter

UjnHunter

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Something about Sony's first party games I don't really like... they all look shiny with no textures and generic... this looks like Playstation Smash Brothers made with Little Big Planet. :\
-Ujn Hunter
Posted Image

Currently Playing:
Xbox 360: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
PS3: Dead Or Alive 5
PSP Vita: Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Wii U: Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
iOS: After Burner Climax

#9 Veridis_Quo

Veridis_Quo

VAIR-RID-DIS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm excited because of a big fan of the Smash Bros series but at the same time cautiously optimistic. The game looks great so far, but I've been let down before with another Smash clone, and that was TMNT Smash-up. Of course that isn't much to compare to but there you go.

#10 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Something about Sony's first party games I don't really like... they all look shiny with no textures and generic... this looks like Playstation Smash Brothers made with Little Big Planet. :\

Did you look at the video or any other screens? The image in the OP is clearly a LBP level...

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#11 Pliskin

Pliskin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

This game looks like it will be a blast to play with your buddies. Very exited for this. Hopefully will hear more about the roster soon.

#12 Action!

Action!

THIS WEIGHS MORE THAN ME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

Color me impressed. Will be interesting to see how they handle online. Did anyone hear if this will be 60 fps?

60 fps confirmed.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 9/29/2014   Anime doodles      |      Trade List

I do art commissions. Ask me to draw for you.

The game that I animate for is OUT NOW! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#13 Buuhan1

Buuhan1

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

I am very amazed people are actually excited for this... I mean... it's a carbon copy of a game that's been out for years.

http://www.youtube.com/KyleFedora

Posted Image
Backloggery

I'm 34 years old, and damned it, I want my freaking half-undressed anime chick.

In for 12 to afford a dozen roses for my body pillow Kimiko.

#14 The_cheapest_Daddy

The_cheapest_Daddy

(>••)>†

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

Saw it last night on spike TV.

The game looks promising enough. Hopefully there'll be 20+ characters within the roster on launch day.
6962.png
Currently playing
:3ds: Bravely default

#15 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

I am very amazed people are actually excited for this... I mean... it's a carbon copy of a game that's been out for years.

Maybe because they want to play a SSB type game with Sony characters? The general concept of the game is the same but that's like saying BlazBlue is carbon copy of Street Fighter.

All complaints about this game being a rip off will become null and void if the game ends up being fun to play.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#16 8bitArtist

8bitArtist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

60 fps confirmed.

yeah until you go online...

EightBitArtist.png

#17 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

So all these characters go to an island where they have to kill eachother or their heads will explode?

538822.png

#18 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:57 AM

It's not so much the game itself that most of us are excited about, but being able to play as the characters that we all know and love in a SSB type of environment. It's a dream roster that wouldn't be possible in a Nintendo game alone, so now we finally get the option to have the best of both worlds.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#19 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

lmao who the Fuck are these psx fans who wanted a ssb clone on the ps3? if anything they should have done something like powerstone that game was the shit.

#20 OrionBrando

OrionBrando

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

I'm hyped! and perhaps it looks like a lot of fun!! I'll pre-order it as soon it's available (If I have money available :P )

#21 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

lmao who the Fuck are these psx fans who wanted a ssb clone on the ps3? if anything they should have done something like powerstone that game was the shit.

I generally don't like fighters, but I love SSB. So this is an obvious win for me.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#22 SensualCurl

SensualCurl

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

may buy if legend of dragoon is present

#23 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

Agreed. And a Powerstone clone would suit the roster better imo.

This is such a bad ripoff of SSB it's not even funny. It looks awful.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#24 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

Yeah, it was cool when Nintendo did it. Now I'm completely burned out on the concept and have no interest.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#25 JG5253

JG5253

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

It looks awesome to me. I loved SSB so I'm pretty excited for this

#26 Pliskin

Pliskin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

More gameplay footage and info. Good to hear that the people behind this are very experienced with the fighting genre.

http://n4g.com/news/...a-battle-royale

P.S.

I want that TV in my living room

#27 mightymek

mightymek

Welcome to the Gutter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

I think the game looks great. I pre-ordered it on Amazon already. I never owned a Smash Bros game since I never owned a system that it appeared on (aside from Wii, which I got rid of shortly after I wasted money on it), and only played it casually a handful of times, so I am very excited for a similar game to come out on a system I actually own, with characters from games I actually play.

13374.png

Scars of Life is back in 2013. As heard on the UFC!
New album A HEART STILL BEATS is out now!  Be sure to check us out on iTunes: http://itunes.apple....-life/id6136926

#28 timesplitt

timesplitt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

I think the game looks great. I pre-ordered it on Amazon already. I never owned a Smash Bros game since I never owned a system that it appeared on (aside from Wii, which I got rid of shortly after I wasted money on it), and only played it casually a handful of times, so I am very excited for a similar game to come out on a system I actually own, with characters from games I actually play.

so youve never played a mario game
Posted Image

#29 mightymek

mightymek

Welcome to the Gutter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

so youve never played a mario game

Where did I say that? I said I never owned a system with Smash Bros. I owned an NES and briefly a Wii. I always went the other way (Genesis, PS1, PS2, etc). But I liked what I casually played of Smash Bros, so I am excited to get a similar game on a system I own (hence where I said using characters from games I play...)

13374.png

Scars of Life is back in 2013. As heard on the UFC!
New album A HEART STILL BEATS is out now!  Be sure to check us out on iTunes: http://itunes.apple....-life/id6136926

#30 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

So, anyone play the beta yet?

I'm not a huge fan honestly. It looks so much like Smash Bros that I keep wanting it play like Smash Bros. But it seems like they made some decisions to make people think it's not like Smash Bros. For example, you use X to jump since seems to make sense in so many of these games but in a 2D Brawler, it just doesn't feel natural. The action is very hectic and it's near impossible to follow, especially with all the explosions and whatnot.

It would have been if they just left it at what it really is: a Smash Bros clone.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist