Amazon to charge taxes in Texas

Wouldn't affect my shopping at all. I order online for the convenience rather than dodging taxes or saving money. I'm not much of a cheapass anymore anyway.

I'm actually all for taxing online orders personally. Working in higher ed, I see first hand the impact the drop in tax revenue during the recession has had. People are technically required to pay state sales tax on online orders in most states as part of their tax filings, most just aren't aware of it, or don't bother (like myself, too much hassle).

Coming to PA 9/1 as well apparently, I think Target, Walmart and BBY are in for a shock when it barely dents Amazon's business, they'll still be cheaper and more convenient for most things.

Well, guess I won't be shopping as much on Amazon now.

Can you pre-order a shit load of stuff on Amazon right now that comes out after July and still not get charged tax for it?

Rarely buy anything from them as it is since their physical media deals have been pretty weak lately. Since Amazon mostly just price matches other stores I live around. DD games are good though.

I'd buy from Amazon less, but they'd most likely still receive a majority of my video game related purchases.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Wouldn't affect my shopping at all. I order online for the convenience rather than dodging taxes or saving money. I'm not much of a cheapass anymore anyway.

I'm actually all for taxing online orders personally. Working in higher ed, I see first hand the impact the drop in tax revenue during the recession has had. People are technically required to pay state sales tax on online orders in most states as part of their tax filings, most just aren't aware of it, or don't bother (like myself, too much hassle).[/QUOTE]

I do it to not pay taxes. :D

Well this is cool. I don't buy much from amazon anymore except books since for some reason all the bookstores in DFW decided to die or move away. I'll probably still buy some games from them depeding on the preorder bonuses, but yeah, this pretty much sucks.

Honestly, it's not all that bad that they're going to be forced to charge sales tax. Living in a state that has lost hundreds of thousands of public jobs, a city with roads that are absolutely horrible, and seeing the price of college tuition skyrocketing, perhaps a little money coming in to the states could actually help fix some of the things that are wrong. Or politicians will find a way to make sure that more money goes to millionaires and billionaires...

I honestly have no issues with amazon charging taxes, as long as they are competitive with there prices unlike how they are now where they can sit back and price match whenever they feel like it.

[quote name='musha666']I do it to not pay taxes. :D[/QUOTE]
Most (all?) states have a use tax, so you're already required to pay tax for online purchases.

I hope they start doing this in Ohio soon. One less table I'll have to fill out at tax time.

[quote name='benjamouth']Coming to PA 9/1 as well apparently, I think Target, Walmart and BBY are in for a shock when it barely dents Amazon's business, they'll still be cheaper and more convenient for most things.[/QUOTE]
I guess I'd better use my $10 promo code and the last $5-6 in my account and be done with Amazon for now myself. Not that I need to buy any games anytime soon, since I still have Skyrim and Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning to go through among other games that have languished in my backlog forever.
[quote name='rlse9']Honestly, it's not all that bad that they're going to be forced to charge sales tax. Living in a state that has lost hundreds of thousands of public jobs, a city with roads that are absolutely horrible, and seeing the price of college tuition skyrocketing, perhaps a little money coming in to the states could actually help fix some of the things that are wrong.
[/quote]
The only thing that could fix all of the people losing their cushy public sector jobs working for the local/state/federal governments is if their salaries and benefits were drastically reduced. The teachers unions here absolutely refuse to pay their fair share of their own health benefits. Meanwhile the families whose kids they're teaching are forced to go without such luxuries. So I say fuck them. Let them work at Target or another barely over minimum wage job with NO benefits and see what it means to actually work for a living and not coast till retirement like so many of them do.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The only thing that could fix all of the people losing their cushy public sector jobs working for the local/state/federal governments is if their salaries and benefits were drastically reduced. The teachers unions here absolutely refuse to pay their fair share of their own health benefits. Meanwhile the families whose kids they're teaching are forced to go without such luxuries. So I say fuck them. Let them work at Target or another barely over minimum wage job with NO benefits and see what it means to actually work for a living and not coast till retirement like so many of them do.[/QUOTE]

nice job falling for the right-wing myth of those living high on the hog public employees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

The only thing that could fix all of the people losing their cushy public sector jobs working for the local/state/federal governments is if their salaries and benefits were drastically reduced. The teachers unions here absolutely refuse to pay their fair share of their own health benefits. Meanwhile the families whose kids they're teaching are forced to go without such luxuries. So I say fuck them. Let them work at Target or another barely over minimum wage job with NO benefits and see what it means to actually work for a living and not coast till retirement like so many of them do.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if serious...or a troll...

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']nice job falling for the right-wing myth of those living high on the hog public employees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality[/QUOTE]
Yep. That's me. I resent the public school teachers because ya know I didn't go through the public school system and see many of them actually following the lesson plans laid out in the teachers' edition books like any chimp could do just as well.

Not to mention that every time you turn around they're looking for raises and again, they refuse to even consider forking over a fair share for their benefits. Not only that but they expect their entire families to be covered by the taxpayers, regardless of if they work for the city/school district/county or not. Meanwhile the average Joe Shmoe whose kids are getting "taught"(I use that term very loosely in this context) has to beg and plead with his bosses for even a nickel raise, but the teachers(and public union workers) around here demand it and unfortunately get it.

Don't get me wrong. There are some teachers who engage their students and put in the extra hours to make sure no kid is falling behind or failing. But for every one of those, we have 9 lazy asses here who follow the teachers books to the letter and don't even try to actually veer from that course. As I said before, a trained chimp could tell the kids to read chapters 1 through 4 and answer the questions at the end of each. So why are we paying tens of thousands per year to each of these people who don't actually work for their higher wages?

Now maybe it isn't this way everywhere, but around here you know that once you get a public sector job you'd have to do something egregious to be fired from it.

Taxes don't just go to schools... I have seen nearby towns that are so strapped for cash they only have one person working in the fire department...

Again though, I didn't tell these folks to train for and become teachers, cops or firefighters. While I do appreciate the risks that the cops and firefighters take in their jobs on a daily basis, I do NOT feel that they should be entitled to guaranteed raises that the people they serve don't get unless they wanna kiss their bosses ass daily for years and STILL don't get a single raise.

It's one thing to want raises, but the public unions here DEMAND it in every damn contract, even though the city here is on the verge of bankruptcy and trying to get out from under a distressed status label. But the unions just keep on with the 'gimme gimme gimme' attitude as if they're OWED these raises.

i think its a bad idea because it discourages internet jobs from moving into the area. i believe they were going to build a big amazon factory in SC, had the site and everything. then they put abill went through the state congress and amazon said FU and pulled plans all together. this would of gave people tons of jobs and honestly would of gave the state more money than the income they would of got from the taxes online

i also think sales tax needs to go too. just discourages buying :)

[quote name='Kevfactor']i think its a bad idea because it discourages internet jobs from moving into the area. i believe they were going to build a big amazon factory in SC, had the site and everything. then they put abill went through the state congress and amazon said FU and pulled plans all together. this would of gave people tons of jobs and honestly would of gave the state more money than the income they would of got from the taxes online

i also think sales tax needs to go too. just discourages buying :)[/QUOTE]

The SC center is back on track after the state back down. Also California and Texas are getting new distribution center that will open the same time as they start collecting tax

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']nice job falling for the right-wing myth of those living high on the hog public employees[/QUOTE]

Way to be utterly blind to the truth. IATCG is actually quite correct in his assessment. Public employees are grossly overpaid in my state compared to their private sector equivalents.

[quote name='Nogib']Way to be utterly blind to the truth. IATCG is actually quite correct in his assessment. Public employees are grossly overpaid in my state compared to their private sector equivalents.[/QUOTE]

Only if you fall for the right wing talking point that public sector employees should only be paid the bare minimum necessary to put a warm body in the job. That way anyone who is somewhat productive is forced to move to the private sector to earn enough to raise a family and eat. At that point you end up bitching at the driver's license office (worse than people do now) about how retarded and slow the people are there. The simple question is, do you like your garbage pick up to be timely, your trips to the DMV to not be ordeals and the mail you send to the post office to actually have a better than average chance of reaching it's destination? In that case your taxes have to pay more than bottom of the bucket wages to attract employees that actually give a shit.

You cannot have it both ways. You either have to pay enough taxes that the government can hire qualified employees or you can have your low taxes and get what you pay for from your government services. I've yet to meet someone that would volunteer to spend more time at the DMV.

[quote name='defpally']
You cannot have it both ways. You either have to pay enough taxes that the government can hire qualified employees or you can have your low taxes and get what you pay for from your government services. I've yet to meet someone that would volunteer to spend more time at the DMV.[/QUOTE]

This is very true. As for IATCG's assessment of education itself and the skills needed to teach... In my experience, dumb people usually hate education and hold educators in disdain.

Anyway, I'm so sad to learn that Amazon will be taxing us Texans now. I can see how it's good for the state, but it's bad for consumers.

It's only bad for consumers when the tax rate in your state is stupidly high like those with 8%+. I believe the sales tax rate for all states should not go higher than 5%.

[quote name='defpally']Only if you fall for the right wing talking point that public sector employees should only be paid the bare minimum necessary to put a warm body in the job. That way anyone who is somewhat productive is forced to move to the private sector to earn enough to raise a family and eat. At that point you end up bitching at the driver's license office (worse than people do now) about how retarded and slow the people are there. The simple question is, do you like your garbage pick up to be timely, your trips to the DMV to not be ordeals and the mail you send to the post office to actually have a better than average chance of reaching it's destination? In that case your taxes have to pay more than bottom of the bucket wages to attract employees that actually give a shit.

You cannot have it both ways. You either have to pay enough taxes that the government can hire qualified employees or you can have your low taxes and get what you pay for from your government services. I've yet to meet someone that would volunteer to spend more time at the DMV.[/QUOTE]
Funny you say this, since for a long time I was receiving other peoples' mail from not only one or two streets over, but also as far away as a whole neighborhood/section of the city. So to say that paying better wages makes for people who give a shit or pay attention to how they're doing their job is a crock to me.

Then there was the one woman who worked at the one post office at the mall here. She would constantly bitch about having to work hours she wasn't supposed to and just bitch in general about the place. She has since disappeared, so I'm assuming she was either re-assigned somewhere else or she was one of the small percentage of people that somehow get themselves fired from public sector jobs.

But the way I see it a job is a job. If you want to make money, you either do your job without bitching about how long/hard the hours are or you find a different job. God knows there will be 10 or more people right behind you willing to do that job without complaining about the hours or how you're owed more pay for doing it.
[quote name='eastx']This is very true. As for IATCG's assessment of education itself and the skills needed to teach... In my experience, dumb people usually hate education and hold educators in disdain.[/QUOTE]
:lol:So because someone is critical of some teachers they're automatically stupid to you?

I guess you must BE a teacher to take my comments so personally, huh?;) I commend the teachers who take the time to actually interact with their students and make sure they learn what they're trying to teach them and then spend the extra time with students who may appear to be falling behind. Those teachers deserve every benefit in the world. But the ones like I mentioned above that only give out assignments from the teachers' edition textbooks are doing the bare minimum to be seen as teachers imo.

Mind you, most of what is taught in school from grades 1 through 12 will never really be needed in the real world, so most education is really for naught. An employer has never asked me to answer an algebra question on an application or to solve an equation and show my work for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paying sales tax is nothing new, they have been around for ages. It's just belatedly worked it's way to the internet.

Laying the rap on public sector workers is way lame.

Mind you, most of what is taught in school from grades 1 through 12 will never really be needed in the real world, so most education is really for naught. An employer has never asked me to answer an algebra question on an application or to solve an equation and show my work for it.[/QUOTE]

School is supposed to prepare you for a variety of careers, as well as simply develop your brain and critical thinking skills. Some things may not seem to have a practical application and yet they are simply good for you. Vocational schools are fine, but I doubt most people know what they truly want to do with their lives before adulthood. I guess that worked okay in the medieval times, but what would you do if you wanted to change professions and you'd only studied one your whole life?

[quote name='eastx']School is supposed to prepare you for a variety of careers, as well as simply develop your brain and critical thinking skills. Some things may not seem to have a practical application and yet they are simply good for you. Vocational schools are fine, but I doubt most people know what they truly want to do with their lives before adulthood. I guess that worked okay in the medieval times, but what would you do if you wanted to change professions and you'd only studied one your whole life?[/QUOTE]
Don't get me wrong. I sit here and figure out the angles when playing a game and I do have my math teachers to thank for that. But some of the skills definitely aren't used outside of those 12 years of your life. As for changing professions, I'm a jack of all trade(master of none) who went back to school for medical coding. Has it helped me to get a job in that field? Not at all, since every place I've applied to has required certification or experience, one of which you can't get without first getting a job in the field. The other(certification) costs $100 for the test and that's kinda hard to get as well when you're broke.:whistle2:#

[quote name='htz']It's only bad for consumers when the tax rate in your state is stupidly high like those with 8%+. I believe the sales tax rate for all states should not go higher than 5%.[/QUOTE]

Mine are over 8% with some added city sales taxes currently for schools and water upgrades etc. I have no problem with it. If you want good public services and a nice city to live in you have to pay for it.

That's the thing though, dmaul. The people in the public service jobs here either don't have to live in the city they take their salaries from(teachers) or if they do(city employees) they find a loophole like building a home in an area with a tax abatement program for new home building or they rent/lease a place just to have a mailbox with an address in the city. Either that or they just go against the policy like some of the city employees had been doing and then only when the city finally realized they were not obeying that rule they do one of the above mentioned things.:roll:

To me, if you want the good salaries and benefits, then you should be willing to live in the town/city that you are drawing those from.

I can't believe I've been nosing around CAG for as long as I have, and I've only just run into (or recognized) your tripe now.

You're easily one of the emptiest CAGs ever. Top 5.

And the avatar inviting others to drink the STFU Juice is an astounding touch. This cannot be real.

Mind you, most of what is taught in school from grades 1 through 12 will never really be needed in the real world, so most education is really for naught. An employer has never asked me to answer an algebra question on an application or to solve an equation and show my work for it.[/QUOTE]

This explains so much about you.

----

On Topic: I fully support states collecting taxes on internet purchases if it doesn't create an undue burden on small businesses that operate mostly locally. Amazon customers *should* pay taxes on their purchases. Fair is fair.

Just ask Cheapest gamer about his internet. He will NEVER pay a dollar. He jacking wifi from his neighbors NEIGHBORS router. 3kb his download his connection speed is wack, when he talks Digital Distribution he screams BS he's especially noisy when it comes to MSRP.

So all those posts (and there are tons) about how shitty all the updates on his PS3 are is because he's stealing wifi from two houses away? wtf.

[quote name='Paco']Just ask Cheapest gamer about his internet. He will NEVER pay a dollar. He jacking wifi from his neighbors NEIGHBORS router. 3kb his download his connection speed is wack, when he talks Digital Distribution he screams BS he's especially noisy when it comes to MSRP.[/QUOTE]
Actually I have the $19.99 a month 768kbps DSL from Verizon. It sucks. But it's all I'm willing to pay for internet at this point.:razz::booty:

So that explains why I lag in games, since I'm usually trying to surf around the net while playing a game on that 'slow' high speed connection.

[quote name='benjamouth']Coming to PA 9/1 as well apparently, I think Target, Walmart and BBY are in for a shock when it barely dents Amazon's business, they'll still be cheaper and more convenient for most things.[/QUOTE]

Umm Target, Walmart and BBY know consumers are moving to online shopping. They have B&M in every state. Meaning they get taxed on their online sales . Do the math. Taxing Amazon will level the playing field , not entirely though of course.

If Amazon wins based on convenience and prices, that's good work by them. They shouldn't win because they're not collecting taxes though.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Don't get me wrong. I sit here and figure out the angles when playing a game and I do have my math teachers to thank for that. But some of the skills definitely aren't used outside of those 12 years of your life. As for changing professions, I'm a jack of all trade(master of none) who went back to school for medical coding. Has it helped me to get a job in that field? Not at all, since every place I've applied to has required certification or experience, one of which you can't get without first getting a job in the field. The other(certification) costs $100 for the test and that's kinda hard to get as well when you're broke.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

You don't seem to understand why people don't agree with you. People don't agree with you because most people want services the government provides. Just because you met a few bad employees you assume that all are bad. I read in the paper that Bernie Madoff had a ponsie scheme therefore all fund managers are fraudsters. I saw in the news that the CEO of Enron went to jail for fraud therefore all CEO's are fraudsters. I saw that a homeless man was a junkie, therefore all homeless people are junkies. See, I can stereotype too.

edit:
To expand further since you seem to have this naive idea about government like the type of opinions bandied about on right wing radio. Many Republican states outsource certain government functions and Republican's LOVE this because they get to "eliminate" government jobs (even though it saves them no money).
Here's what happens to the jobs if the jobs are held by government employees:
If a total budget of 1 million dollars, 1 individual gets 100k, 2 individuals get 80k, 17 employees get 43.5k
Now here's what happens if it's outsourced:
1 individual gets 460k, 2 individuals get 80k, 17 employees get 20k a year
The individual that gets 460k then gives 20k in campaign finance funds to his republican buddies in the legislature and they keep the gravy train rolling.

There is no cost savings just a lot less people making a living they can support themselves on and a few people making much much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Blaster man']You don't seem to understand why people don't agree with you. People don't agree with you because most people want services the government provides. Just because you met a few bad employees you assume that all are bad. I read in the paper that Bernie Madoff had a ponsie scheme therefore all fund managers are fraudsters. I saw in the news that the CEO of Enron went to jail for fraud therefore all CEO's are fraudsters. I saw that a homeless man was a junkie, therefore all homeless people are junkies. See, I can stereotype too.

edit:
To expand further since you seem to have this naive idea about government like the type of opinions bandied about on right wing radio. Many Republican states outsource certain government functions and Republican's LOVE this because they get to "eliminate" government jobs (even though it saves them no money).
Here's what happens to the jobs if the jobs are held by government employees:
If a total budget of 1 million dollars, 1 individual gets 100k, 2 individuals get 80k, 17 employees get 43.5k
Now here's what happens if it's outsourced:
1 individual gets 460k, 2 individuals get 80k, 17 employees get 20k a year
The individual that gets 460k then gives 20k in campaign finance funds to his republican buddies in the legislature and they keep the gravy train rolling.

There is no cost savings just a lot less people making a living they can support themselves on and a few people making much much more.[/QUOTE]

Look in the mirror dude. Do you buy stuff on amazon? Or maybe Walmart? Two heavily outsourced Companies. When was the last time you bought something made in the USA? Do you even care? Ignorant people are quick to point the finger at the rich, bottom line is you are a consumer and you cast a vote with every dollar you spend.

Ponder this : If Republicans cater to the rich and Democrats Cater to the middle/low class then would it not be in the best interest of the Democrats to keep you middle/low class.

And no I am not a Republican.

I don't get how people fall for this left wing bullshit. If you guys like government intrusion so Much, go to a country that is based on bitchy people taking hand outs. Ala Greece.
Honestly state workers are so over paid its ridiculous, the government is so wasteful in its spending I find it hysterical that people want to give them more money in hopes that it'll actually improve anything.
We just went through this in my home state, Wisconsin. Walker made it so gov workers actual have to pay a small % of their benifits and the unions are throwing a fit and trying to recall him. And lol at people talking about the DMV and Post office, the lines and inefficiency there is unbelievable. The more things are privaticed, the better they work, because the private sector actual has accountability. You don't see people in the private sector taking a paid sick day in the morning and then working the late. Government work is so terrible.
And lol at people saying we need to help the lower class in the economy, I understand their down on their luck, but have you ever gotten a job from a poor person? No. The rich are the job creators. They earned the money, and yet dems always make it rich vs poor. They want to raise taxes on the rich, but in my state 9 out of 10 small businesses file their taxes as individuals, not corporations, so taxes on rich people hurt small businesses and job creation.
TLDR: more taxes = bad / less taxes = good.

[quote name='KtMack23']I don't get how people fall for this left wing bullshit. If you guys like government intrusion so Much, go to a country that is based on bitchy people taking hand outs. Ala Greece. [/quote]

It's ironic because all the bills that intrude on our privacy have actually come from Right Wing nut jobs. See; CISPA, Patriot Act, SOPA, and the Future SOPA like bill Boehner is working on.

Honestly state workers are so over paid its ridiculous, the government is so wasteful in its spending I find it hysterical that people want to give them more money in hopes that it'll actually improve anything.

It's funny because you are so misinformed. Public sector workers are, on average, paid less than private sector workers. Sure, let's privatize everything, so we can pay the private sector more money to do the same thing! Source There's a reason people choose to not work in the public sector if they have a choice.

We just went through this in my home state, Wisconsin. Walker made it so gov workers actual have to pay a small % of their benifits and the unions are throwing a fit and trying to recall him. And lol at people talking about the DMV and Post office, the lines and inefficiency there is unbelievable. The more things are privaticed, the better they work, because the private sector actual has accountability. You don't see people in the private sector taking a paid sick day in the morning and then working the late. Government work is so terrible.

Not going to comment on Wisconsin, because I haven't been following it much, but the Post Office? You would have lines out the door too if you have Republicans constantly introducing bills to screw you over. Did you know the the USPS actually has to prefund 75 years of benefits for their current employees as well as FUTURE employees that they haven't even hired in a whole 10 years? No Federal Agency or even private company does this. It's a stupid and reckless attack on the USPS. If you use regular standards, then the USPS actually has a surplus in their benefits account. Fancy that... I guess the USPS really is terribly inefficient.

And lol at people saying we need to help the lower class in the economy, I understand their down on their luck, but have you ever gotten a job from a poor person? No. The rich are the job creators. They earned the money, and yet dems always make it rich vs poor. They want to raise taxes on the rich, but in my state 9 out of 10 small businesses file their taxes as individuals, not corporations, so taxes on rich people hurt small businesses and job creation.
TLDR: more taxes = bad / less taxes = good.

LOL. The rich are "job creators." You believe in Reaganomics, don't you? The rich do not create jobs. Demand creates jobs. Do you seriously think some rich guy is going to create a job for no reason? He's going to wake up one day and say "Oh, I have billions! Might as well go hire 100 people today!" If you really think that, then you are naive. Jobs are created by demand and you do not need rich people to fulfill that demand.

And you're also misinformed about "raising the taxes on the rich." The current marginal tax rates are fine. No one is talking about raising them at all. What people are talking about raising is the capital gains rate, which is at an absurd low of 15%. Those business owners you talk about won't be affected much by a rise in the capital gains tax rate.

And lol at people thinking Reganomics don't work. Because taking money away from people (who do create jobs everyday, through creating demand with their business (who wouldn't be able to give their business if taxes were high enough) and others seeing the ability to make profit by being bigger and therefore creating mode jobs) and giving the money to a country with a debt total in the trillions, is a good idea.Because the gov has obviously shown they know how to handle money.
YOU earned the money. YOU spend it. I don't give a fuck what the government wants to do with it. If you aren't earning enough money that's your own damn fault. Stop blaming people who worked harder than you and got ahead, and go do something for yourself.
Giving money to the government is like giving it to a crack addict, they're just going to make it worse

Amazon has either been successfully suing states that have tried this, or just telling them to fuck off like they did here in CT, I don't see why this should be any different.

[quote name='KtMack23']And lol at people thinking Reganomics don't work. Because taking money away from people (who do create jobs everyday, through creating demand with their business (who wouldn't be able to give their business if taxes were high enough) and others seeing the ability to make profit by being bigger and therefore creating mode jobs) and giving the money to a country with a debt total in the trillions, is a good idea.Because the gov has obviously shown they know how to handle money.
YOU earned the money. YOU spend it. I don't give a fuck what the government wants to do with it. If you aren't earning enough money that's your own damn fault. Stop blaming people who worked harder than you and got ahead, and go do something for yourself.
Giving money to the government is like giving it to a crack addict, they're just going to make it worse[/QUOTE]

You remind me of this.

reaganomics-pic.jpg

Job creators? Do rich people with a wave of their hand and their magical effort create jobs? Do they wish them into existence so us serfs can sustain ourselves? fuck no. Those rich people have positions that they need filled otherwise their business will suffer. Regardless of taxes those positions have to get filled otherwise their business stagnates and they lose profit because of not having the labor to make them that money.

Well.. to try to get a little back on track..

I don't mind it much, and thought it would happen eventually.
Does the tax apply to games being sold by everyone, or just when you buy direct from Amazon? As in, if I bought a copy of Assassin's Creed from a random marketplace seller, is that typically taxed? I looked it up online but I couldn't find a concrete answer even on Amazon's help site.

[quote name='KtMack23']I don't get how people fall for this left wing bullshit. If you guys like government intrusion so Much, go to a country that is based on bitchy people taking hand outs. Ala Greece.
We just went through this in my home state, Wisconsin. Walker made it so gov workers actual have to pay a small % of their benifits and the unions are throwing a fit and trying to recall him. And lol at people talking about the DMV and Post office, the lines and inefficiency there is unbelievable. The more things are privaticed, the better they work, because the private sector actual has accountability. You don't see people in the private sector taking a paid sick day in the morning and then working the late. Government work is so terrible.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I used to go to the local state job center as soon as they opened in the morning. Not even 20 minutes after they opened and it STILL took them 45 fuckin' minutes to get someone to find me information about jobs I had looked up online at home. The employees were too busy having an early morning coffee break and bullshitting with each other about the prior nights' sports games to care that someone needed some sort of help.

I mean, yes, maybe it's not the same way at other state offices. But even on road projects that would normally take a year at max in states like NY it takes the PA road crews 3-5 years just to complete ONE project. Hell. New York state had two bridges replaced in about a year and a half to two years up along the I-81 corridor towards Syracuse. Meanwhile the state of PA is trying to replace a couple bridges here and it's already over one year and they still have traffic snarled and re-routed.

When you go by the NY road project sites(on which they even sometimes work 24 hours a day to get them done:shock:) every worker is WORKING. When you go by the PA sites, 3-4 guys are working and the rest are standing around bullshitting while being paid for it. That's why shit never gets done on time and under budget in PA and a big reason why I despise paying even a nickel in any form of taxes, whether sales tax, income tax or whatever since I know it's gonna go to support these fuckin' loafers.

Welp, looks like no more amazon for me. There's plenty of alternatives out there though so it's no big deal really.

[quote name='Potatoeman']Does the tax apply to games being sold by everyone, or just when you buy direct from Amazon? As in, if I bought a copy of Assassin's Creed from a random marketplace seller, is that typically taxed?[/QUOTE]
As I understand it, that depends on the seller. It is the seller's responsibility (not Amazon's) to collect sales tax if they are legally obligated to do so. So this change shouldn't really affect anything on that front.

bread's done
Back