Need a new Wireless Gaming Router

Streetskillz

CAGiversary!
So I currently have a Netgear WNDR3400v2 that fails to maintain broadcast. I'm done messing with it and am now looking for something that will not drop out on me while gaming.

I use my XBOX and PS3 primarily for streaming Hulu and Netflix, but I do play MW3 and ME3 quite often as well. I'm tired of dropping games due to connection, only to have my connection come right back in 2 minutes. And no, it's not a modem issue, I've troubleshot the problem down to the router itself.

I just wanted some CAG input on what everyone else has and what seems to work best for heavy console internet use. I keep reading about these in particular:

Asus Black Diamond RT-N56U
819295878_125.jpg

Cisco Linksys E4200
850957738_125.jpg

But I will buy anything as long as it works... At this point price is no longer an issue, just the wireless capability which is a must. Thanks CAG's!

i've heard good things about that cisco but I ended up with something else. I was having a similar issue only it wouldn't fix itself thus I needed to go downstairs and powercycle the router every 20-40 minutes. Currently I rock a WNR3500L

dxznyv.jpg

I've owned the ASUS RT-N56U since the end of November and it's a beast of a router. Hasn't been an issue since it was installed and only been rebooted due to FW updates or power outages.

Supports numerous devices on my home network, wired and wireless. The UI is reasonable, though there's a few laugh moments from bad Engrish in text on-screen. Handled XBL and PSN without issues and punching holes in the FW for specific IPs is pretty easy to deal with.

I've had a Linksys WRT54g running DD-WRT for like, shit, 6 years? And I got it for free because dude said it didn't work. ^__^ But only having 10/100 and wireless G, it's getting a bit long in the tooth for me.

I'm personally going for this one sometime soon because I prefer DD-WRT support.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I've had a Linksys WRT54g running DD-WRT for like, shit, 6 years? And I got it for free because dude said it didn't work. ^__^ But only having 10/100 and wireless G, it's getting a bit long in the tooth for me.

I'm personally going for this one sometime soon because I prefer DD-WRT support.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. I had one of those Asus RT-N16 for a while and I really wanted to like it but it was very unstable regardless of f/w (stock, DD-WRT, Tomato) and many people said the power supply was to blame. I sold it and picked up a Netgear WNR3500L and have been completely satisfied with it and highly recommend it like a previous poster did.

Seems like I have my work cut out for me. I'm gonna try to look at buying one of these today. I'll keep you all updated and thank you all for the fast replies... I'm running unsecured wireless right now :shame: and that needs to be fixed ASAP

[quote name='Nogib']I don't know. I had one of those Asus RT-N16 for a while and I really wanted to like it but it was very unstable regardless of f/w (stock, DD-WRT, Tomato) and many people said the power supply was to blame. I sold it and picked up a Netgear WNR3500L and have been completely satisfied with it and highly recommend it like a previous poster did.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, I might have to get that one instead. Thanks. ^__^

[quote name='kube00']Currently Im using a WRT54G Im going to stick Tomato on it

I was thinking about upgrading and I do like the looks of that D-link

Any thoughts on this Buffalo or these netgears?
Buffalo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162031[/QUOTE]I dumped my WZR-HP-G300NH for the Asus RT-N56U and never looked back. The WZR-HP-G300NH kept dropping connections on whatever version of DD-WRT I installed on it, and if you buy one, it'll likely be a V2 and you'll be only running DD-WRT on it.

That Buffalo is also single-band 802.11N, and it's much better to have dual-band and run 802.11N on 5GHz for anything bandwidth-intensive.

Thanks for all the input CAG's I went ahead and purchased the Asus RT-N56U and should get it by Thursday. I've used a D-Link, a Linksys, a 2Wire, and 2 Netgears over the past 6 years... mostly because of military relocation. I read a lot of good things about the routers you guys listed, but I figured I'd give Asus a shot. Anyways, thanks for the help and I'll let you all know how this new router goes!

[quote name='Streetskillz']Thanks for all the input CAG's I went ahead and purchased the Asus RT-N56U and should get it by Thursday. I've used a D-Link, a Linksys, a 2Wire, and 2 Netgears over the past 6 years... mostly because of military relocation. I read a lot of good things about the routers you guys listed, but I figured I'd give Asus a shot. Anyways, thanks for the help and I'll let you all know how this new router goes![/QUOTE]I've been extremely happy with it and I think you will as well. Just update it to the latest firmware and keep it updated.

It handles numerous wired and wireless devices on my home network without any issue on a 24/3 Internet connection.

This was the review that convinced me about it:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-dual-band-gigabit-wireless-n-router-reviewed

[quote name='kube00']Thanks for that link shrike, Newegg has the open box Asus RT-N56U for $84[/QUOTE]They also have had it for a little over $100 a couple times in the last month. When I bought mine at the end of the year, it had a free 1-year ServiceNet warranty for after the ASUS warranty expires, so that was a nice bonus.

Just got and setup the Asus RT-N56U yesterday... It's blazing fast compared to the now defunct Netgear I had. I'm also finally picking up the 5GHz broadcast on my laptop and XBOX which is fantastic. So far I love it, but we'll see if I run into any snags in the future. Thanks CAG's!

[quote name='Streetskillz']Just got and setup the Asus RT-N56U yesterday... It's blazing fast compared to the now defunct Netgear I had. I'm also finally picking up the 5GHz broadcast on my laptop and XBOX which is fantastic. So far I love it, but we'll see if I run into any snags in the future. Thanks CAG's![/QUOTE]Make sure you update it to the latest firmware, as ASUS does keep it up to date with bugfixes in the firmware.

Thank I'm most likely getting that N56u. Not sure if I want to spend 125 yet since the last two routers I bought that retailed around 100 regular price stopped working a year or sooner.
I had that WNR3500L and it crapped out on me after 6 months. Can't even get a connection if I plug directly into it anymore. Was going to warranty but they wanted 17 for shipping and and didn't care to spend that since I only paid 80 for it in the first place. I had problems with it stop broadcasting the wireless signal about 4 months in and talked to netgear support twice then it eventually crapped out all together.

I bought a Draft 300N MIMO Belkin router way back in early 07 and just replaced it late last year even though it was still working. I had connectivity quirks just due to its age and being a Draft N, but it held up well.

I now have a WDNR4500 netgear running 24/7, and it does great. I though I had Netflix issues,but now I'm certain it was the old, horrid, pre2012 model Sony Netflix interface on my 2011 Sony TV. Still don't know what they were thinking even though I love their TVs. Gaming has been great. I have 6 or 7 things connected by wire and switch, and 4, up to 6 but rarely more than a few at the same time things connected wirelessly.

Took the plunge and got the Asus RT-N56U
Newegg was offering $15 off with a code which got it down to $109 from $124 with free shipping and the 1 yr warranty

bread's done
Back