XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7393 replies to this topic

#6661 Felder71

Felder71

I am Iron Gland!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Dang, sales are looking good; I need to buy points again.

Gonna get NiGHTs, A World of Keflings, Toy Soldiers (original) and maybe Ilomilo from the scratch-off. Can anyone recommend Ilomilo? What about any of the Toy Soldiers DLC?

I enjoy Ilomilo. An interesting puzzle game. Not sure how much the sale is for, but at $5, I think it's a must play, unless you wretch at sugary sweet graphics and themes.
Posted Image

#6662 yamayama

yamayama

•• Professional Beta Tester •• (give me free stuff)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

So new Wednesday game this week? Wonder how long it has been since no XBLA game on a Wednesday...

Hell Yeah is coming out in other regions on Wednesday this week. I think that's why it's all weird.

Can anyone recommend Ilomilo? What about any of the Toy Soldiers DLC?

I highly recommend ilomilo! It has so many great elements. The "story" is really cute and it's really easy gamerscore.

As for Toy Soldiers DLC. I'm missing one from each game so I'll be picking those up.

«‘-•·÷·- ¥ámá -·÷·•-`»

#6663 disilluzion

disilluzion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

You may be able to get A World of Keflings for 400 right now. I noticed a glitch where if you purchase in game it's 400 instead of 800. That was a few months ago.

I'm also wondering if there is any point in getting Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown when I already have the disc version.

#6664 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hmm, still kind of mixed on Dungeon Fighter Live. It feels like Guardian Heroes + dungeon crawling, which doesn't seem too bad based on the demo, but it seems like it's more multiplayer based (though considering this started as a Free-to-play MMO, that might explain it). I almost feel like waiting to see if it'll go on sale again.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6665 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hmm, still kind of mixed on Dungeon Fighter Live. It feels like Guardian Heroes + dungeon crawling, which doesn't seem too bad based on the demo, but it seems like it's more multiplayer based (though considering this started as a Free-to-play MMO, that might explain it). I almost feel like waiting to see if it'll go on sale again.

Here's my Dungeon Fighter LIVE review if that helps. Oddly, the best way to play it is local co-op, but you could solo some or all of it if you didn't mind grinding a bunch. It's a very MMO-like, grindy game anyway, which turns some people off, but I still had fun with it.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#6666 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

The first Prototype is $10 too. I'm in for that considering that's still $25 at Gamestop and $23 at Amazon.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#6667 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

I was just looking at VF 5 and thinking I should buy it to support Sega's poor ass. Now I definitely can.

#6668 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

Here's my Dungeon Fighter LIVE review if that helps. Oddly, the best way to play it is local co-op, but you could solo some or all of it if you didn't mind grinding a bunch. It's a very MMO-like, grindy game anyway, which turns some people off, but I still had fun with it.

Ahh, what the heck. I might as well get it. I haven't played a beat-'em-up for a while aside from Double Dragon Neon & adding in dungeon crawler elements makes it interesting.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6669 Alien Spider

Alien Spider

VIGILANTE JUSTICE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

Very tempted to get Transformers WFC for 800msp, I like having the physical copy of Xbox 360 games though when they're available...decisions...

#6670 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

CoD Classic is half-off? Hm. That's a big maybe. Isn't that included with one of the CoD CEs, which I would eventually like to have? Granted, if I got one used, obviously the code would probably be worthless.

Not sure how to feel about the fighting games on sale. I'd like to have them, but I'm not sure I'd like to play them. I've already burned myself buying MvC2 and SF2 - I royally suck at Capcom fighters. Maybe I should try the demo for VF5. If you have any thoughts on its accessibility for someone who plays like a grandma in fighters, feel free to share.

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

Stream KMFDM's new album KUNST in its entirety here!

#6671 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Huh, I was just thinking last week about how I'd buy SF3OE the moment it went on sale, and here it is. I'm kinda disappointed the DLC for VF5 isn't going on sale with the main game, but oh well. And most importantly, Fuck yeah NiGHTS.

Maybe I should try the demo for VF5. If you have any thoughts on its accessibility for someone who plays like a grandma in fighters, feel free to share.

If you play like a grandma, you'll probably get wrecked in everything you play, but to its credit, VF5 at least has a tutorial that teaches you the main systems of the game (I feel it's a bit barebones, but it's not too bad). Sega also put out a series of tutorial videos on Youtube, with guides for each character. The first video is here:

It's definitely more accessible than the mess that is MvC2, but less so than SF2. Either way, 3D fighters play completely differently from 2D ones, and while I can't say I've gotten the hang of it yet, you might find it easier.

#6672 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Scratch & Match
Braid -- 400 MSP
Ilomilo -- 400 MSP
Limbo -- 600 MSP

Thanks for posting this, all three of those games are excellent. If somehow people haven't actually purchased them yet.

Try the demo of Dungeon Fighter first. I wouldn't recommend it -it's really flawed game and gets extremely repetitive with the endless amount of fetch quests...

edit: Arkadian Warriors is 200MSP (50% off) - http://marketplace.x...0807?nosplash=1

I'd cautiously recommend Dungeon Fighter at 400msp. I played through it solo and it's definitely a grind, but there's still a decent amount of fun to be had in it. Expect to be playing for at least 10 hours though. And the levels get repetitive as well.

Lots of good stuff coming soon!

http://majornelson.c...marketplace-16/

I'll be getting Toy Soldiers DLC and hopefully Happy Action Theater in next weeks DOTW and Publisher sales.

YES! The one thing I'm super excited about is the Toy Soldiers Invasion! DLC. I know it's only a 200msp savings, but I've been waiting forever for that one to go on sale (I was able to get all the others from the trade thread). Can't wait to finally be 100% done with both Toy Soldiers.

Arkadian Warriors 200 MSP
Assault Heroes 200 MSP
Carcassonne 400 MSP
Faery 600 MSP
Geometry Wars 2 400 MSP
Trials HD 800 MSP

right now...maybe price reductions for October...

I remember going through this before haha. Arkadian Warriors, Assault Heroes, and Carcassone are published by Sierra Online, which was absorbed into Activision years ago. Therefore those 3 are sales and part of the Activision Publisher sale. I'm buying Arkadian Warriors. It's a super generic dungeon crawler, but for 200msp I think it's worth it.

GW2 is published by Activision as is also a sale, not a price drop.

Trials HD is more than likely a price drop, and I have no idea about Faery. Because it's 600 and not 800, I'd guess it's a sale of some kind. Though it needs a price drop so it can eventually go on sale and reach the 200-400msp range.

That said, unless I pick up Dungeon Fighter, DOTW is probably a pass for me this week and next (unless I decide to bite on Toy Soldiers). Speaking of, may as well ask now. If I only bought one Toy Soldier game, which would be the better one to get?

Cold War has local co-op for the campaign, so if you have a friend to play with it's a much better buy. Also several minigames, which are mostly fun. But some folks like Tyler prefer the original game's campaign and aesthetic to Cold War's.

Haha EastX beat me to the punch, he knew I'd jump all over that question. The first Toy Soldiers is better by a million miles. It's twice as long and far more challenging and rewarding. Local co-op is one benefit of Toy Soldiers: CW, as is killstreak rewards which are kind of fun. But still, TS1 towers over TS:CW.

Gonna get NiGHTs, A World of Keflings, Toy Soldiers (original) and maybe Ilomilo from the scratch-off. Can anyone recommend Ilomilo? What about any of the Toy Soldiers DLC?

Ilomilo is a blast.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#6673 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'm gonna get Prototype, Ilomilo, Braid, Toy Soldiers (possibly the second one too) and maybe Arkadian Warriors although that doesn't look too appealing to me.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#6674 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Also, I'm curious why you guys quote NEW Amazon prices when comparing them to digital prices on full games. I thought I was about to make a mint on my copy of Transformers: WFC, but the used is only going for around $22 after shipping, not $37.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#6675 Felder71

Felder71

I am Iron Gland!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Not sure how to feel about the fighting games on sale. I'd like to have them, but I'm not sure I'd like to play them. I've already burned myself buying MvC2 and SF2 - I royally suck at Capcom fighters. Maybe I should try the demo for VF5. If you have any thoughts on its accessibility for someone who plays like a grandma in fighters, feel free to share.

My personal opinion - VF is the most "hardcore" of the 3D hand-to-hand fighters. You will get crushed unless you keep it on easy AI. And even then, it's not a ton of fun unless you really practice and learn the different skill sets of the players. DoA is very newbie friendly as you can have fun even if you aren't very good, and Tekken falls somewhere in between. Even so, $7.50 is a small amount to pay. Just whatever you do, don't start with Akira. Jacky or Sarah would be best.
Posted Image

#6676 Antarael Dulacre

Antarael Dulacre

Royal Dhampire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

I remember going through this before haha. Arkadian Warriors, Assault Heroes, and Carcassone are published by Sierra Online, which was absorbed into Activision years ago. Therefore those 3 are sales and part of the Activision Publisher sale. I'm buying Arkadian Warriors. It's a super generic dungeon crawler, but for 200msp I think it's worth it.

GW2 is published by Activision as is also a sale, not a price drop.

Trials HD is more than likely a price drop, and I have no idea about Faery. Because it's 600 and not 800, I'd guess it's a sale of some kind. Though it needs a price drop so it can eventually go on sale and reach the 200-400msp range.

Thanks for clearing this up (again) was looking for an activison brand but didn't know these are owned by Activision lol

On another note 3 fine games in the Sales & Specials App..can recommend all of them.

AND I highly recommend Monkey Island which is also Family DotW! =):lol:

Edited by Antarael Dulacre, 02 October 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#6677 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Just whatever you do, don't start with Akira. Jacky or Sarah would be best.

I never really got into the VF series, but have been told repeatedly that, of all the characters in all the fighting games out there, Akira is one of the most difficult characters to completely master. I wonder how much of that carried over to the DOA5 Akira.

#6678 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for clearing this up (again) was looking for an activison brand but didn't know these are owned by Activision lol

On another note 3 fine games in the Sales & Specials App..can recommend all of them.

AND I highly recommend Monkey Island which is als Family DotW! =):lol:

No problem. :)

#6679 Felder71

Felder71

I am Iron Gland!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

I never really got into the VF series, but have been told repeatedly that, of all the characters in all the fighting games out there, Akira is one of the most difficult characters to completely master. I wonder how much of that carried over to the DOA5 Akira.

Good question about DOA5 Akira.

The Akira issue has to do with him looking a lot like Ryu and therefore, new players gravitate towards him. But he plays with a very stun-heavy, jerky moves, that are not intuitive to most fighting fans. Jacky and Sarah can nail combos with simple button presses and move a lot faster.
Posted Image

#6680 SonicXtreme

SonicXtreme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

VF5 is pretty awful if you're a n00b, good fighters will KO you in 2 combos. Prepare for frustration. And why they made match point 3 wins instead of 2 wins drives me crazy, 90% of the time you know who's gonna win point 3 when they win point 2. i'm glad it's on sale so a bunch of scrubs will be on this week at least. playing against the pros (community is really watered down at this point) really sucks lol, hopefully a bunch of people buy it this week. Also the DLC is a scam, it costs more than the game and it's 100% cosmetic, don't waste your time with it. SFHD finally wheee.

Edit: also they're supposed to patch SF3 3rd strike sometime soon but idk when, if anyone notices when that drops hollar about it

#6681 harry hood

harry hood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Haha EastX beat me to the punch, he knew I'd jump all over that question. The first Toy Soldiers is better by a million miles. It's twice as long and far more challenging and rewarding. Local co-op is one benefit of Toy Soldiers: CW, as is killstreak rewards which are kind of fun. But still, TS1 towers over TS:CW.

Thanks, I was in the same boat trying to decide between one or the other. I suppose I'll download both demos and give them a whirl. It would be great if TS1 was the premium choice since I'd save more points.

How are the respective DLC's?

#6682 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

I appreciate the thoughts shared so far. I will say I feel a hell of a lot more competent in games such as DOA and Soul Calibur than I ever have in Street Fighter. And then there's Mortal Kombat... old-skool knocks my ass flat but the new one is mostly fair to me, at least from what I remember. I should fire that up again. And I don't think I've tried any VF ever! (And I think I'm done editing this post)

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

Stream KMFDM's new album KUNST in its entirety here!

#6683 Gnort

Gnort

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations people posted on Dungeon Fighter Live. I was originally considering buying it, but I think what I really want is for Guardian Heroes to go on special, because that seems far more like what I'm looking for. I'm in no hurry, I can wait a bit longer ;)

#6684 CAiNiAC

CAiNiAC

~Baby got Backlog~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Definite worthwhile purchase on Ilomilo at that price.

I guess i'm the ugliest one here and cainaiac is the sexiest, damn.

Hey i just realized canniac bruh has my post in his sig, nice!

cannniaiainiaiac

#6685 Papa Neorev

Papa Neorev

Sounders 'Til I Die

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

already own a lot of whats on sale but man I really want to buy something lol
Posted Image

#6686 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Picked up Dungeon Fighter. Looking forward to the Double Fine sale, hopefully its good.

#6687 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

VF5 is pretty awful if you're a n00b, good fighters will KO you in 2 combos. Prepare for frustration.

If they made a fighting game where a newbie could beat a seasoned player easily, then most people would consider it a pretty crappy game.

And why they made match point 3 wins instead of 2 wins drives me crazy, 90% of the time you know who's gonna win point 3 when they win point 2.

The rounds in VF are shorter than rounds in games like SF or Tekken, so it only makes sense to have more rounds to even things out. And sudden 3-win comebacks aren't unheard of - I've won and lost a few games by them myself.

Also the DLC is a scam, it costs more than the game and it's 100% cosmetic

Capcom fighters do the same damn thing. At least Sega had the decency to charge only $15 for the base game instead of $60. They were also very upfront about their reasons for doing so: the base game was already nearly 2GB, so giving the costumes out for free would have put them over the limit. It also lets them sell the base game for a low price, allowing new players to get into the series (you know, since VF has never been the most popular game overseas), while still allowing hardcore players to get the customization options that the arcade version had. Speaking of customization, the DLC isn't just some crappy costume, it's a ludicrous amount of items that you can use to customize your character (I think a thousand? I dunno what the numbers are). I abhor DLC more than most people here, but even I'm with Sega on this one.

#6688 CAiNiAC

CAiNiAC

~Baby got Backlog~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Grabbed Dungeon Fighter, now just waiting on the Kefling Sale next week and the upcoming Doublefine event, and word on if my intended Horror purchases count toward the rewards month.

Patience and self control suck. :booty:

I guess i'm the ugliest one here and cainaiac is the sexiest, damn.

Hey i just realized canniac bruh has my post in his sig, nice!

cannniaiainiaiac

#6689 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Thanks, I was in the same boat trying to decide between one or the other. I suppose I'll download both demos and give them a whirl. It would be great if TS1 was the premium choice since I'd save more points.

How are the respective DLC's?

None of the DLCs are great, they only add 3 missions each, they also add a couple maps to the competitive side of things, but I don't think many people play those much. The Invasion! one has UFOs, that's the one I haven't played yet and am going to buy, so that should be kind of cool. All of them add extra achievements.

Just like I feel about the main games, I liked the one DLC I've played for TS1 better than either of the TS:CW DLC packs. It was more challenging for me.

And it should be noted that I highly recommend both full games very much. It may seem like I shit on TS:CW a lot, but I'd still give it an 8.5/10 if I had to score it. It's just that I'd give TS1 a 10/10 (it's my 2nd favorite XBLA game ever) and so TS:CW was just a massive disappointment to me in many areas.

Thanks for all the recommendations people posted on Dungeon Fighter Live. I was originally considering buying it, but I think what I really want is for Guardian Heroes to go on special, because that seems far more like what I'm looking for. I'm in no hurry, I can wait a bit longer ;)

I'd definitely recommend Guardian Heroes over Dungeon Fighter.

#6690 Doctor Who

Doctor Who

Vworp Vworp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Gonna get both the TS: Cold War DLC next week, and will demo VF5.