XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7393 replies to this topic

#61 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

I've got more shumps than I really need. DLC modes with slight changes don't really interest me.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#62 Vap

Vap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

Does anyone know if there's any cool mods for Harry Potter? That would be my only reason picking it up.

#63 Raccoon2117

Raccoon2117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

This will go well with the Battlefield 3 I just picked up yesterday from that Best Buy deal.

I think I'll hold off until I actually get the game in the mail though.

#64 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

You're paying for Microsoft's servers to stay up, not third-party servers.

But why are third party servers being used to begin with? This isn't Chromehounds, it can't be beyond the first party servers' ability to handle a few online matches in board games of all things.

#65 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Probably not, but it certainly isn't getting them money. Those games are like three years old, which apparently makes them long dead in the video game world.

What's really baffling is that we were told our Gold subscription fees were supposed to pay to make sure these things kinda, y'know, didn't happen. Just another reason to play PC, I guess. ┐( ̄3 ̄)┌

8 years ago to get EA games on XBox 1 and all future XBox platforms, MS had to make 2 concessions to EA:

1. No more MS sports games, see the demise of all the MS published team sports games after 2003. Apparently driving/extreme sports games were exempt as MS published PGR, Amped, and now Forza. Top Spin IP was sold to 2K Sports.

2. EA had complete control of servers for their games online, and Live was merely a portal to get you to the EA servers. Hence why all that EA connect/account stuff shows up on their games only and how all the shutdowns are only generally for EA games (with the exception of 2K sports games as 2K got that deal also but only for their sports games.)

Not sure what the deal was with Chromehounds with Sega. Phantasy Star Online/FF XI were MMO's so that's why those servers are 3rd party but never heard the reason why Chromehounds was allowed 3rd party servers. Only non-EA/2K Sports games I know of with 3rd party servers are some of the recent THQ games (Homefront, etc.) and Gears 3.

Edited by MSUHitman, 02 May 2012 - 01:05 AM.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#66 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Picked up that half of Mushihimesama Black Label update. Now to locate a copy of the import for cheap.

#67 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Well, Chromehounds online was a lot deeper than simple 8-man matchmaking. It was about three giant, player controller factions fighting over an enormous game world, which I think is enough to explain the need for third party servers.

#68 hexa

hexa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Picked up that half of Mushihimesama Black Label update. Now to locate a copy of the import for cheap.

I probably would've done it in the opposite order. But, best of luck to you. :)
Video game burnout looking to buy. Check my thread!

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=312649

#69 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Joey, you don't have the Arcade Next promotion listed with the XBLA stuff. :booty:

Is there a rebate?
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#70 ViolentLee

ViolentLee

Still Man Fights

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

I see Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet has dropped to 800 points ($10). Picked it up, since I've had it on my list for some time.
http://marketplace.x...15-d80258410b1c
Posted Image
My action/scifi novel, Still Man Fights, is available in paperback and e-book form at Amazon.com.

#71 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

Is there a rebate?

Of around 240 points, I think. It should be on the Dashboard.

Speaking of updates, the Xbox rewards updated today, too: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=320402

#72 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Don't know what sort of price range you're looking for, but Amazon has it for ~50

card.png

#73 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Is there a rebate?

Microsoft Arcade Next promotion

You get double the Gamerscore and Achievements. :joystick:
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#74 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

But why are third party servers being used to begin with? This isn't Chromehounds, it can't be beyond the first party servers' ability to handle a few online matches in board games of all things.

They want more control over the servers and everything else that can be done with that.

Edit:

1. No more MS sports games, see the demise of all the MS published team sports games after summer 2002. Apparently driving games were exempt as MS published PGR and now Forza.

Do you have a link to more info about this? I've never heard about this until a few days ago and it seems like more of a myth made up by the anti-EA sentiment that was growing with the EA Xbox Live deal announced at E3 2004 and the NFL exclusivity announcement a few months later. The only articles I can find about the deal don't mention a thing about Microsoft being forced to stop making sports games as a result of the deal.

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 01 May 2012 - 11:40 PM.

#75 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

Phantasy Star Online/FF XI were MMO's

Uh oh. The semantics police may try to pull you over for an argument. IMO PSO was an MMO but some will argue otherwise. Pretty sure we've had that debate on more than on occasion.

#76 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

I probably would've done it in the opposite order. But, best of luck to you. :)

Well... the Black Label version is the better version to play. In addition, this probably won't be on sale in a week. Half off is half off for something that doesn't have a retail equivalent.

#77 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

Would someone care to list some games that offer music DLC to make that rebate? That aren't the music games, rockband, GH, etc.

I know Castlevania HoD had two music packs (already bought of course) and Warriors Orochi 3 has one music pack out for 160 points but doesn't quite get me there.

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#78 mrcheapo11

mrcheapo11

Whoooooooooooooop!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

Finally another sale on VOOT! I've been interested in playing it for the longest time, but it went on sale forever ago. And Nin2 for 200 MSP? Hell yes!

Posted Image

you know what? the reason we created GAMEstop in the first place was to serve GAMErs. if we didnt want to serve GAMErs we would have called it wal mart stop and sold baby items and food and a small selection of overpriced gaming software for high prices. and not thea bility to sell crappy old games no one wants anymore.

Hello all this is my frist post on GAG forums.

PM me for invites to Lockerz.com!

#79 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

Would someone care to list some games that offer music DLC to make that rebate? That aren't the music games, rockband, GH, etc.

I know Castlevania HoD had two music packs (already bought of course) and Warriors Orochi 3 has one music pack out for 160 points but doesn't quite get me there.

Clicking the official page's offer leads you here:
http://marketplace.x...007&query=music
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#80 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

Clicking the official page's offer leads you here:
http://marketplace.x...007&query=music

Of course it's millions of pages of Music game DLC xD Was hoping someone could think of some non music game DLC packs off the top of their head like the two examples I gave.

Thanks, though.

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#81 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:53 AM

Of course it's millions of pages of Music game DLC xD Was hoping someone could think of some non music game DLC packs off the top of their head like the two examples I gave.

Thanks, though.

There's a column on the left on the page that shows the games that have eligible content. There's only a couple of dozen. I don't think that the games you listed have DLC that qualifies. I don't think that it's music related DLC but DLC for games in the music genre.

#82 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

They want more control over the servers and everything else that can be done with that.

Edit:
Do you have a link to more info about this? I've never heard about this until a few days ago and it seems like more of a myth made up by the anti-EA sentiment that was growing with the EA Xbox Live deal announced at E3 2004 and the NFL exclusivity announcement a few months later. The only articles I can find about the deal don't mention a thing about Microsoft being forced to stop making sports games as a result of the deal.

I can't find one except this interview by IGN that kinda dances around it. Thought it was generally known this was the case but I don't have a hard article as of yet.
http://sports.ign.co...2/502713p2.html

Also when EA announced the partnership at E3 that year, during a demo w/Donald Trump, he made a crack at MS's NFL game. Also 2 months after EA's announcement, MS shut down the studio that made all of the team sports games.

Edited by MSUHitman, 02 May 2012 - 01:12 AM.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#83 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

I am out of Gold membership on the 11th!

On the dashboard it says if I renew with a card from a b&m that I will get 600 MS points!

Any good deals on 12 month cards?

#84 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

Figured I'd play a quick round of Bullet Soul to try it out. Heck of a lot of fun but beating it in on my first play is somehow a little disappointing. Awesome that it kept raining achievements though. I'd give it a B+ in the few minutes I played. Worth the import. Going to have to snag the DLC from the JP market and find out what it's all about.

Can't see any leaderboards. I guess that's because of the region issue. Got a high score of ~6.475 Million. Not terrible.

#85 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

I can't find one except this interview by IGN that kinda dances around it. Thought it was generally known this was the case but I don't have a hard article as of yet.
http://sports.ign.co...2/502713p2.html

Also when EA announced the partnership at E3 that year, during a demo w/Donald Trump, he made a crack at MS's NFL game. Also 2 months after EA's announcement, MS shut down the studio that made all of the team sports games.

I don't see anything about it being a result of the EA deal, so this all comes off as conspiracy mumbo-jumbo, no offense. The logical reason for the closings would be that their sports games mostly sold like crap and the increased success of Sega Sports and EA Sports on their system made it much less of a sustainable avenue compared to the games that sold well for them. Here are some lifetime-to-date NPD sales figures that I found up to July 2004:

Spoiler

Each of those series plummeted with the sequels and the new attempts at NHL and MLB bombed hard, so Microsoft seceded from the market and sold off the two IPs worth anything (Top Spin and Amped) to Take Two/2K. So one could say that EA (and Sega) forced Microsoft to give up on sports, but not because of an agreement to get EA on Xbox Live unless you can find some factual proof to prove it.

#86 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Owns Every Hamster Game* on PSN

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

Of around 240 points, I think. It should be on the Dashboard

That rebate isn't available to everyone, only a select few.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: My XBLA Backlog

#87 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

That rebate isn't available to everyone, only a select few.

The select view being... people who buy one of the games? I honestly can't find the deal anymore, since MS seems to hate letting people know when they have sales or specials (the DotW still only shows Battlefield on the Dashboard), so maybe.

#88 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

The select view being... people who buy one of the games? I honestly can't find the deal anymore, since MS seems to hate letting people know when they have sales or specials (the DotW still only shows Battlefield on the Dashboard), so maybe.

I've never seen it, so I don't think it was available to everybody.

#89 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Owns Every Hamster Game* on PSN

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:10 AM

Someone mentioned that it was only for people who had never purchased an XBLA game before, but I can't source that either.

What I do know is that for myself and the vast majority here, no offer was made available.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: My XBLA Backlog

#90 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

I also have never seen this deal.
-Trying to think of something creative.-