Best Buy Deal of the Day (2012)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7202 replies to this topic

#5701 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

In regard to that, does anyone know if it works with Steam?

I can't remember who posted it or where but they wrote it does NOT activate on Steam.

#5702 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

Eh, ended up cancelling my order ... just too many questionable aspects to the monitor ... obviously the failure rate is a huge issue, but after watching a number of reviews and doing some research, I also found issues with the reflectiveness of the screen, the way all the cables stick out of the side and are visible from the front, the fact simulview isn't 3D and as one reviewer stated, you would get a larger split screen view on most TVs and wouldn't be wearing what amount to indoor sunglasses to see it.

Basically, it seems great as a bedroom tv, but won't replace a PC monitor and isn't particularly great as a main tv given size and numerous other factors.

I'd probably buy it for $99 though ;-)

#5703 KryllFood

KryllFood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

Thanks. It's a Samsung DLP, with a Mitsubishi 3D starter kit. I had to update the EDID value via a guide on AVs forum to get it to work. 3D works on a PS3, 360, and a previous PC with AMDHD, just not w/ 3DTVPlay. What is this override? Is it a driver hack? Sadly my 14-day trial ran out, so I have to make sure it'll work before I buy it. Dunno if it sees my TV as Samsung or Mitsubishi. Bummer only old drivers work.

Oh jeez, that's a tricky set-up. I'm not sure how that would work. The EDIF Override is only to trick 3DTV Play into thinking your display is a "white list" display...that is, approved by nVidia for the app. Basically that override is just for monitors that can already meet the required 3D output.

Unfortunately, there's no way I could tell you for certain. If your kit is like nvidia's old one...an IR emitter and active glasses, that means your TV is already outputting the proper image. Without having it and troubleshooting it, I would have no idea if it'll end up working. Sorry if I gave you false hope.

Thanks for saying that about turning down the backlight. I have had mine since late June and it has flickered about 4 or 5 times. I turned it down to 8 instead of 10. What number do you have it on?

I have mine set to either 5 or 7, I can't remember. Back when I got it, I used a tweaked version of the calibration a commenter on Amazon posted. If you google "ps3 3d display calibration + amazon" you should find it pretty easily.

Unless you're unlucky enough to get a display that was previously returned or one that was very poorly constructed, running w/ a <10 backlight should keep you going strong for a while....that's a double edged sword though because if you want Sony to replace it, you might want it to fail before a year, lol.

p.s. from what I've seen, not everyone has had Sony give them a perfectly working unit. Some people have returned theirs to Sony several times before getting one that worked.

#5704 Pericynthion

Pericynthion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'd probably buy it for $99 though ;-)

Amen to that - even with all the perceived issues, I couldn't resist that :-)

#5705 spoonman

spoonman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

I have to admit I wasn't expecting much for that PlayStation Display, but it's really very nice quality IMO.

I had purchased a Samsung 24" LED screen from Newegg ($200) and was extremely dissatisfied by it.
The colors were terrible, LED lighting uneven, and viewing angle. No matter how you adjusted the colors they had a purple or yellowish hue.

I ended up returning it and I bought a PlayStation 3D Display (also for $199).

I'm very happy with the colors, lighting, and even aesthetics of it. It was nearly perfect right out of the box. After a few tweaks I think it looks better than my 2 other large screen HDTV's.

The 3D is excellent as well, but honestly I don't know how long my eyes can take of it. It's fun to use every once in a while. Zen Pinball 2 looks friggin' incredible in 3D! Especially Plants Vs' Zombies and the Marvel tables. The 3D effect in Uncharted 3, Motorstorm Apocalypse, and Wipeout HD is also pretty mind blowing.

The issue of defective power on these definitely concerned me, but I also bought a 4 year Square Trade warranty for $20 (with 40% off coupon) and if it should fail I will simply move on to monitor #2 and get a full refund for the first. No biggie. :)

I took a bunch of unboxing pics and added links to reviews,
and supported 3D PlayStation 3 media here in case anyone is interested.

Anyway, for $159 I couldn't pass up buying another.
If you consider the Sony Active shutter 3D glasses are selling for nearly $70 on their own, new copy of MotorStorm Apocalypse,
PS branded HDMI cable (probably $30ish, that leaves $59 for a brand new 24"
3D Sony screen and that seems like a hell of a deal to me! :)

If you love the style of the Vita/PSP you will love the way this thing looks.
It doesn't feel cheap either. The glass covering the screen has a sturdy feel to it while the backing and stand remains
overall light and thin.

#5706 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

Spoonman, would you mind posting your video settings for both the Display and your PS3?

#5707 spoonman

spoonman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

Spoonman, would you mind posting your video settings for both the Display and your PS3?

It's pretty much stock on the display. I think I only turned up the brightness one or two notches.

The PS3 is set to 1080p, Full Range RGB, Super White.
It automatically set the 3D option as a 24" screen. when booting on the new PS Display.

I am using my PS3 mostly at night with very little light so I guess your optimal settings would depend on things such as that.

#5708 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

I googled my settings. Check maybe just a page or two back. Go with the gamefaqs link. The guy used a calibration disc to get his settings. And I have to say they are done pretty good settings

#5709 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:43 AM

Thanks, I assume this is the one you were referring to.

http://www.gamefaqs....27750-/62443677

#5710 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:50 AM

$150 + $50 GC around the holidays and maybe I'll slap one on my bedroom wall.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#5711 Yuckmouth

Yuckmouth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

Was on the fence but, eh, it's only money. Picked up the 3d display. Had $40 in gift cards so it came to $120 and change. Went to my car, opened it up, took out Motorstorm and walked back in and traded it for $20 GC.

Wasn't expecting much from the monitor but it's great. Nice to play some of my pc games like Dungeon Defenders, Torchlight 2 and Orcs Must Die 2 in 3d for a change. Even fired up Diablo 3 and WoW just to see how they looked.... it was amazing. D3 and Torchlight both seemingly have multiple layers of depth in the game, looks really cool.

Got this to replace my dying 21.5" Hanns G monitor for several years ago. Great purchase.

#5712 Yuckmouth

Yuckmouth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

If you were having issues, try rolling back to 296.10 and you might have some success.

=

Yes- ran into this issue and it took me hours to finally find the solution and the only thing I could do was rollback the drivers. Works great though.

#5713 Xellos2099

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:28 AM

Any idea if the screen is TN or ips?

#5714 TheEliminator62

TheEliminator62

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

Decided to jump the gun on this and I must say I am very impressed. I have decided to put it in my office with the ps3 and have tested it out for over 3 hrs and don't have any issues. I'm going to connect it to DirecTV tomorrow and probably abuse it for a while to see if there's any faults. 3D is definitely amazing on Motorstorm and the quality is superb. Definitely worth the purchase and with 2 year protection plan through Best Buy it came to $192 so I am satisfied.

#5715 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:57 AM

any idea if the screen is tn or ips?

va

#5716 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

pro evolution soccer 2010 $9.99

#5717 Xtrminatr

Xtrminatr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

Bought my display today, and the screen is already blinking off and on every 15 minutes or so, bringing it back for an exchange tomorrow, if they dont have another I'll just get my money back. Shame because it's really nice.

#5718 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

It must really just be a hit or miss with these displays. Buddy of mine said he has had his for nearly a year, and not one single problem. I used every bit of store credit I had left, and picked up one today for my 3yr old son. I figured why spend $100 or so on a regular LCD, when I can just get this. Got it all hooked up, adjusted the settings, fired up Motorstorm Apocalypse, and away he went. Between myself and both of my sons, we played a good 3 hours on it. It has been on now a good 8 hours, and I haven't seen any issues with it. I will probably go with the Bestbuy protection plan just because I hate mailing stuff like this out. I'd rather just make a drive to the store. $30 for 4 years coverage seems like a good deal to me.

#5719 Fukurou

Fukurou

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

Seems like almost everybody is reporting problems with the TV. Makes me wonder if Sony cut the price by $300 because they're planning to make a new version that fixes most of the reported problems.

#5720 arsenalcrazy8

arsenalcrazy8

As Cheap As Wenger.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

Seems like almost everybody is reporting problems with the TV. Makes me wonder if Sony cut the price by $300 because they're planning to make a new version that fixes most of the reported problems.

in fact at E3 a new version WAS announced. That one will also be glasses-free 3d AND will also be available in a 40 inch model....

but the thing is Its gone dead quiet since its announcement...I havnt heard ANYTHING on when it may come out.
Up the Gunners!!!!!
I am Cheap, therefore I buy Cheap.

#5721 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

in fact at E3 a new version WAS announced. That one will also be glasses-free 3d AND will also be available in a 40 inch model....

but the thing is Its gone dead quiet since its announcement...I havnt heard ANYTHING on when it may come out.

because it probably never will, and nowhere near the price of this one. I think it was just a prototype. As of late, sony is not taking many chances spending on innovation. Even bestbuy doesn't list their sets in their ads anymore, I'm guessing sony is not paying for it.

#5722 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Oh! That would be HOTTTTT!!!!!!!!:hot:

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#5723 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

I don't think Sony will be making another one seeing how 3D is not even catching on like they had hoped during last years E3 when they announced this 3D display.

I think they might have moved on by developing this instead.

#5724 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

I don't think Sony will be making another one seeing how 3D is not even catching on like they had hoped during last years E3 when they announced this 3D display.

I think they might have moved on by developing this instead.

I think I'd rather wear these
Spoiler
. Lol. But, seriously. Being a 3D nut, that's going to be interesting. Didn't, even, know about the previous version of those.

#5725 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

My Sony source said they decided not to make a new model because this one sold poorly. Of course, it might not be selling poorly now but I was told they're losing money at this price point.

I suspect if they could have profitably sold a 32" at $300 - that actually worked reliably - it would have done very well.

#5726 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

It is nice, but honestly I'll wait until I can get one on a super clearance because I'd just use it for a computer monitor or a second display when my fiancee is playing 360.

47206.png
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Earth Defense Force 2025, South Park: The Stick of Truth
:3ds: Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
:psp: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune, Rayman Origins

#5727 flix1

flix1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

On the Best Buy warranty, could you mix and match the repairs/replacement?

For example, if the set dies quickly, have Sony fix it first, and if it goes bad again after that or after Sony's warranty period expires, then use the Best Buy warranty to replace it?

#5728 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Ooo, Navy SEALs!

#5729 V4Oldboy

V4Oldboy

Vengeance 4 Oldboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

Be VERY careful with best buy's extended warranty though even if it seems similar to squaretrade and others. Know what you are buying.
Go read their fine print it.
http://www.geeksquad..._12_English.pdf

If we determine, at our sole discretion, that your product cannot be repaired, we will replace it with a product of like kind and quality that is of comparable performance or reimburse you for replacement of the product with a voucher or gift card, at our discretion, equal to the current market value of the product, as determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase price of your product, including taxes.

Technological advances may result in a replacement product with a lower selling price than the original
product.

So you are guaranteed to get way less than the original value of the item. There are countless posts on the BBY forums and reseller ratings claiming to have been offered a tiny fraction of the actual cost of the item.

Keep reading down and see all the limitations and "our discretion".
I've yet to have to file a claim with squaretrade, but their conditions seem much more customer friendly frankly.

https://www.squaretr...mmaryPopup.html

"You WROTE it, you can't UN-WRITE it!" - Maurice LaMarche

[if you need help funding a PSN gameshare (US) I'm happy to help out fellow CAGs (PM me) as long as you are patient.]

#5730 VileEighty

VileEighty

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

I JUST bought that PS 3DTV for $179.99. Gonna go nab the difference from best buy today and maybe buy myself something nice!