Alan Wake (360) $9.99 Disc Version

[quote name='Dark Rider']It's definetely one of the best games I have played this generation.[/QUOTE]

Really? Shine light, evade, shoot. Over and over and over.

[quote name='Scorch']Really? Shine light, evade, shoot. Over and over and over.[/QUOTE]

you can make the same kind of argument for just about every game. Mario Bros is arguably one of the best franchises, especially in the NES/SNES era. Move to the right, jump over obstacles, jump on baddies, fireballs...rinse and repeat every level.

I really should suck it up and just get a red card. I spend enough there to capitalize on the 5%...

At nearly $15 after tax to ship it, is this even a good deal anymore?

[quote name='fujimitsu']I really should suck it up and just get a red card. I spend enough there to capitalize on the 5%...

At nearly $15 after tax to ship it, is this even a good deal anymore?[/QUOTE]

I would say so. It's still $19.99 with free 3-5 day shipping at Amazon. I bought it Amazon a month back and did not regret this game. A nice bonus is that it includes a card with a download code for the first paid DLC for free (The Signal, which costs 560 MSP if you buy a used copy).

Nice price, I bought the full game download from Amazon for $7+ last year and it took about an hour to download it. I would rather have the disc version.

Has anyone heard if they'll release a complete edition with all the downloads?

Not on 360 considering how it didn't sell near what MS thought it would, but then again, MS was stupid enough to release it the same day as Red Dead Redemption (suicide for just about any non-established game to release the same day as a Rockstar game.) If you go on Steam, there is a complete version on there, but it's $30. This would be cheaper as there's only 2 DLC's ($7 each) and new copies on 360 come with a code for the 1st one for free.

[quote name='Scorch']Really? Shine light, evade, shoot. Over and over and over.[/QUOTE]

Guess you don't understand the value of it's amazing story and depth . Stick to FPS.

One of the best games I played. Great setting, epic story. Make sure to buy the DLC's, they improve the combat drastically.

[quote name='HornyPony']Guess you don't understand the value of it's amazing story and depth . Stick to FPS.

One of the best games I played. Great setting, epic story. Make sure to buy the DLC's, they improve the combat drastically.[/QUOTE]

Wasnt aware that the DLC added gameplay mechanics i was assuming it was just an extra campaign.

Thanks OP will get 1 too now.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Not on 360 considering how it didn't sell near what MS thought it would, but then again, MS was stupid enough to release it the same day as Red Dead Redemption (suicide for just about any non-established game to release the same day as a Rockstar game.)[/QUOTE]Rockstar has numerous B and C-tier IPs to their name: Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, Manhunt, etc.. The first Red Dead wasn't exactly a blockbuster, at least not compared to the number of sales its sequel saw, so it's understandable that MS underestimated that game before it launched. Alan Wake had been in the public eye for a long, long time. IIRC it was one of the earliest "next gen" games revealed, right before/around the time that the 360 launched. For a new IP Alan Wake had a lot of hype behind it.

[quote name='NoelVermillion']not in store? why!!!!![/QUOTE]

Do stores not price match with their website? Anyway, submitted to Amazaon to PM hopefully

If I didnt own the GoD downloadable copy I bought off eBay for $6 and the game on disc I later picked up @ a BBV sale for $7.50, I would pick this up in a heartbeat... Amazing game.

[quote name='Thrinn']Rockstar has numerous B and C-tier IPs to their name: Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, Manhunt, etc.. The first Red Dead wasn't exactly a blockbuster, at least not compared to the number of sales its sequel saw, so it's understandable that MS underestimated that game before it launched. Alan Wake had been in the public eye for a long, long time. IIRC it was one of the earliest "next gen" games revealed, right before/around the time that the 360 launched. For a new IP Alan Wake had a lot of hype behind it.[/QUOTE]

Red Dead had just as much hype behind it and Red Dead is an open world game which is Rockstar's strength. Remember the original Red Dead was made for Capcom but Capcom dumped it and Rockstar just picked it up and got rewarded later on. People like us on message boards, etc. were hyped for Alan Wake but the majority of the unwashed masses were super hyped for Red Dead. Just had to go to any GS/gaming store and hang around for a bit.

But games launch against each other all the time and I don't understand it. April was pretty much dead and Ubisoft decides May is a good month for Ghost Recon, 1 week after Max Payne 3 and Diablo 3.

[quote name='Thrinn']Rockstar has numerous B and C-tier IPs to their name: Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, Manhunt, etc.. The first Red Dead wasn't exactly a blockbuster, at least not compared to the number of sales its sequel saw, so it's understandable that MS underestimated that game before it launched. Alan Wake had been in the public eye for a long, long time. IIRC it was one of the earliest "next gen" games revealed, right before/around the time that the 360 launched. For a new IP Alan Wake had a lot of hype behind it.[/QUOTE]

Well it wasn't MUS underestimating Red Dead, it was the fact that Alan Wake was set for release in May for awhile and at the time Red Dead was set for April. It wasn't until later on when Rockstar delayed Red Dead and it happened to come out the same week as Alan Wake.

MS already had an elaborate campaign behind it(the episodic live episode prequel). So it would have been tough for them to delay it.

With that said, Alan Wake is one of my favorite games this gen as well. Sure is it somewhat repetitive, but like someone else said most games are...

Thanks OP, I'd been looking for a good price on the disc version of this and you finally found it!

Just finished getting 1500/1500 GS on this yesterday. To join in the crowd here, buy this game if you haven't already. One of the best games I've ever played. My only gripe about the game is that the game exists in itself. It should have been a movie, it would have been huge.

Does anyone know if the first DLC is also included with the Collector's Edition? I didn't see it listed but it would be stupid if they didn't include it.

[quote name='HornyPony']Guess you don't understand the value of it's amazing story and depth . Stick to FPS.

One of the best games I played. Great setting, epic story. Make sure to buy the DLC's, they improve the combat drastically.[/QUOTE]

This isnt anything personal against Mr. Pony but why do people automatically assume all FPS games have no story? That seems to be the "go to" insult of people when it comes to insulting others about the games they play. Its the same on Reddits r/gaming: "LOL you hate skyrim? Go play some FPS'"

Is it assumed that FPS games don't have story? Doesn't the Half-Life series have an amazing story with deep characters? Same with Bioshock? The Halo series is an amazing story driven FPS. What about Borderlands? Hell, even Portal.

BTW: great deal OP. wish I had not had missed out

[quote name='astr0boy']This isnt anything personal against Mr. Pony but why do people automatically assume all FPS games have no story? That seems to be the "go to" insult of people when it comes to insulting others about the games they play. Its the same on Reddits r/gaming: "LOL you hate skyrim? Go play some FPS'"

Is it assumed that FPS games don't have story? Doesn't the Half-Life series have an amazing story with deep characters? Same with Bioshock? The Halo series is an amazing story driven FPS. What about Borderlands? Hell, even Portal.

BTW: great deal OP. wish I had not had missed out[/QUOTE]

I think people who has been gaming for a long time are getting sick of shooters in general. There are roughly 6 FPS/ 3rd Person Shooter games for every 10 games released these days. When there are so many games in the same genre, the genre becomes trash. I was a big fan of FPS during the Doom/Quake days and well, I don't play them anymore except for a few special ones like Portal series, Vanquish, Uncharted series, and couple others.

I recently traded in two copies of Alan wake to Amazon for $30 each, cause I knew a deal like this would pop up soon. Looks like I was right.

Great price on this game...I got in on the original Target deal of $19.99 for the CE. I had played AW long before I bought it and I enjoyed the game for maybe 4 chapters, then it started to feel like "okay, again?"

To those that have griped about the repetition, I don't think it's a matter of what you're doing....it's the actual pacing of the game that's repetitious. For example, cutscene during the day -> night time in the woods -> cutscene -> woods -> cutscene -> woods....it seems like the game will always find a way to put you back in the wilderness for no apparent reason and it follows the exact same formula for the entire game.

Still a good game nonetheless that deserves to be played.

Did I need another game to add to my backlog? No. Did I just order this for $10.30 shipped? Yes. Love to justify that Target Debit Card as much as I can.

I probably would have bought Alan Wake long ago if it had a freakin' demo. I had to wait to play the demo for American Nightmare just to get a sampling of the gameplay. I enjoyed it well enough to warrant this purchase, but this really was a case of a demo making a huge difference in my decision.

bread's done
Back