27" IPS 2560x1440 Monitors UBER cheap

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Steggy

Steggy

Shhhhhhhhh

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

The Squaretrade warranty is useless as its not valid on items not meant to be sold in the US.

Shipped item back and it was $101 to ship back. For some reason I am still waiting for my replacement...

If I still receive nothing by Monday I will accept their partial refund for shipping costs and do a credit card chargeback for item not received...

LAME!

#32 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

Thinking of getting in on one of these, can't decide which one I want and if the extra cash for "perfect pixel" is worth it or not, its about a $65 difference right now.

The tempered glass option doesn't cost much more but I hear its risky. Read that the speakers aren't worth paying extra for. But other than some of the more expensive models offering more ports, my understanding is that the difference really comes down to the bezel and stand? Not sure if any are more reliable than others or if some are more prone to light bleed, etc.

#33 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

My Shimian is still going strong 4+ months later. Zero issues whatsoever.

I didn't purchase a "perfect pixel" version and wound up with, as I mentioned, a single dead pixel in the top left of the screen. One or two dead pixels isn't really an issue though as the pixel density in these monitors makes it really hard to notice. That said, these aren't A+ or A panels, so there is the possibility of getting a cluster which could be an annoyance. If you're really worried about it, I'd spend the extra money just to be on the safe side.

Also didn't get tempered glass on mine as I didn't want to deal with taking the thing apart should there be shit behind the glass, which there has been a decent amount of with these.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#34 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

Every time I read about this, I'm tempted as I really, really want one of these monitors, but I still kinda would rather wait until Dell or another major manufacturer drop their prices. (Although I'm worried that Dell will continue with their habit of anti-glare coating, and I really, really prefer glossy monitors.)

That, and I'd have to upgrade my video card to maintain performance, and I'd rather wait another generation of cards to do so.
Posted Image

#35 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

My Shimian is still going strong 4+ months later. Zero issues whatsoever.

I didn't purchase a "perfect pixel" version and wound up with, as I mentioned, a single dead pixel in the top left of the screen. One or two dead pixels isn't really an issue though as the pixel density in these monitors makes it really hard to notice. That said, these aren't A+ or A panels, so there is the possibility of getting a cluster which could be an annoyance. If you're really worried about it, I'd spend the extra money just to be on the safe side.

Also didn't get tempered glass on mine as I didn't want to deal with taking the thing apart should there be shit behind the glass, which there has been a decent amount of with these.

Which seller did you buy from?

#36 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Which seller did you buy from?

fasterakorea

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#37 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

There's a computer store on the west coast that had some manufactured, they're selling them for just slightly north of what the Koreans are charging. US based seller might be worth the extra money but we'll see.
http://www.overlordcomputer.com

I'm really digging the aluminum bezel on the Crossover, but that also costs more than the cheapest ones out there (usually the Shimian QH270-Lite).

#38 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

There's a computer store on the west coast that had some manufactured, they're selling them for just slightly north of what the Koreans are charging. US based seller might be worth the extra money but we'll see.
http://www.overlordcomputer.com

I'm really digging the aluminum bezel on the Crossover, but that also costs more than the cheapest ones out there (usually the Shimian QH270-Lite).

Very tempting, but I've never heard of this company before. I'll prolly wait until some reviews pop up since they should be shipping in a few days.
Posted Image

#39 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

Very tempting, but I've never heard of this company before. I'll prolly wait until some reviews pop up since they should be shipping in a few days.

The guy running it is fairly well known in the community, I'm not too concerned about that.

They use grade A panels in those, I guess the Koreans use A-? Seems like another advantage.

#40 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

Honestly, I'd prefer the Korean models over a place that has a website that looks like that. Shit looks WAY more shady than someone on Ebay. The inner graphic designer in me almost wants to give him a free header because the one he currently has looks horrific. I'd put money on that thing turning more than a few customers away.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#41 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

If they just stumbled across the site and weren't familiar with the backstory I'm sure most people would shy away.

#42 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

At least I've narrowed the contenders...

Shimian QH270-Lite - $290 shipped, possibly less with ebay offer
Pros: Cheapest
Cons: Shitty flimsy base

Crossover 27Q - $348 shipped
Pros: All aluminum bezel, good solid base
Cons: $60 more for just a nicer bezel and base

Overlord Tempest - $355 shipped
Pros: US Seller, Grade A panel, good base
Cons: Not out yet, no reviews

WeCube ST2770W - $360 shipped
Pros: Scaler, DVI/HDMI/VGA/Component inputs
Cons: scarce reviews

#43 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:01 AM

Regarding the Shimian base, its not that bad. In reality, its more sturdy than the bases for my Gateway, Viewsonic, and old Acer monitors. It wobbles slightly but unless you have your desk next to a landing strip, it shouldn't move. Its also got a pretty nice tilt range.

Also, more inputs isn't necessarily a positive point. More inputs can at times cause more input delay. With most of these having a single DVI input as well as no OSD, it cuts down pretty significantly on delay.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#44 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

Thats true, and I'm not sure if the extra cost is worth it for me, I don't need it to double as a TV or play consoles on it.

If I'm not mistaken the Shimian sits higher on its base than others, which I'd prefer, but I do get some significant shaking when a truck rumbles by. Even as I'm typing my current monitor wobbles though.

#45 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

The bottom of mine to the desk is about 3¼" if that helps you at all.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#46 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

The bottom of mine to the desk is about 3¼" if that helps you at all.

Bottom of the bezel or the screen?

#47 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

Bottom of the bezel.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#48 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

Thats pretty good, thanks.

Looks like I have a week to decide since the Koreans are closed for a holiday and the USA seller won't start shipping his until then.

#49 Hiei69

Hiei69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

I bought the Shimian QH270 from Redcap on eBay a couple weeks ago for $285. I'm not Monitor/TV expert, but the display looks fantastic. I can't see any flaws at all with my display.

And yes, the base isn't too sturdy, but it works.
Currently Playing: :wii: Rhythm Heaven Fever :pc: Pixel Junk Eden
:pc: Rock of Ages :pc: Skyrim :psp: Corpse Party
Rayman Origins, Lumines Electronic Symphony, and Hot Shots Golf on the Vita

#50 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

I went ahead and ordered a Crossover 27Q from lightnspace for $339. Instead of eBay I ordered it from their website which lowers the price by the eBay fee amount (9%). Risky, but their feedback is great and the worst anyone's ever said about them is they shipped a different model by mistake.

Was going to buy the Overlord Tempest, but after the price shot up from $360 shipped to $420 shipped, I had to pass. People seem happy with theirs though.

#51 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Got the Crossover within 60 hours of placing the order, Fedex Express is awesome.

Posted Image

Quite happy, the metal housing is pretty diesel. Only one dead pixel, no backlight problems, no dark or bright spots, etc. Great buy for $339 when even Shimians are going for $315-$320 from reputable sellers.

If you want one though, buy soon, demand has reached a point where the manufacturers are having some difficulty getting enough panels. Which makes sense because LG isn't tryingto make A- panels.