Company of Heros 2 coming out in 2013

If the game is as good as the first, I'll buy it. If its a dumbed down piece of shit like most sequels to once great games wind up being these days, I'm not going to buy it simply to help out THQ.

I haven't played the first before but now I think I want to. Does anyone know if it will run on 64 bit Windows 7? How many expansions are there?

There are two expansions. Sadly they are not nearly as good as the original game and the factions introduced in the first expansion (especially the British) really were detrimental to the game as a whole. But it's still worth playing. As far as I know, it should run on a 64-bit system.

CoH (not the expansions) is my favorite RTS of all time...let's hope the sequel lives up to its legacy!

I loved CoH... i was just playing a little of the campaign last week. I bought Opposing Fronts, but never purchased Tales of Valor. I never understood why they didn't have expansions that added Russians and maybe the Pacific theater with Japanese and the U.S. marines. Maybe it had to do with balancing for multiplayer or maybe not enough differences to make them unique.

[quote name='buddynayr']There are two expansions. Sadly they are not nearly as good as the original game and the factions introduced in the first expansion (especially the British) really were detrimental to the game as a whole. But it's still worth playing. As far as I know, it should run on a 64-bit system.

CoH (not the expansions) is my favorite RTS of all time...let's hope the sequel lives up to its legacy![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. It looks like I can buy a European imported boxed game (Company of Heroes Anthology) for about $15 with prime fulfillment and that includes everything OR I can buy it all piecemeal boxes/downloads through Amazon or a complete set for $50 from steam.

[quote name='buddynayr']Sadly they are not nearly as good as the original game and the factions introduced in the first expansion (especially the British) really were detrimental to the game as a whole.[/QUOTE]

Just curious why you feel the British were especially detrimental to the game as a whole?

In the spirit of CoH, I installed my retail gold edition yesterday to see if I only needed to buy the last expansion from the steam sale. However it needed a 40MB patch to play online but you can opt out of. Then you have to register at relic online to play, which then led me back to needing to patch it to play. And the relic servers were not responding last night either. Anyone else have this problem? I may just buy the collection at $10 if that's the case but the expansions are independent so I wouldnt need to buy the first 2.

[quote name='boneless']In the spirit of CoH, I installed my retail gold edition yesterday to see if I only needed to buy the last expansion from the steam sale. However it needed a 40MB patch to play online but you can opt out of. Then you have to register at relic online to play, which then led me back to needing to patch it to play. And the relic servers were not responding last night either. Anyone else have this problem? I may just buy the collection at $10 if that's the case but the expansions are independent so I wouldnt need to buy the first 2.[/QUOTE]

Good god. I'm installing it on my new laptop, and I had to grab so many patches off the torrents. And you NEED to be up to date to play after one of the patches, due to the login requirement. ARGH.

And I wasted time installing CoH, only to have Opposing Fronts uninstall it and replace it. DERP.

[quote name='cheapfrag']Just curious why you feel the British were especially detrimental to the game as a whole?[/QUOTE]

Well, the original CoH was really based on mobility and offense. You can't really hunker down in one area and expect to win. Sure, there were a few exceptions (like the Wehrmacht bunker that could be very powerful when deployed correctly) but usually you always had to keep your forces on the move, capturing points and such. The British, though, as introduced in OF were a faction based on emplacements. I think there are three different fixed guns you can build as the Brits, and then there are the trenches that any infantry can build. (The defensive buffs given by the trenches were unreal.)

Unlike the original two factions, they were based on building up one area of the map so it could not be assaulted. I just found -- and many CoH players agreed with me -- that in games involving the British there was much less mobility, as their entire faction was based on defense. You knew that you'd find a huge blob of British emplacements somewhere on the map. With the original factions, the Americans and the Wehrmacht, there were many different possible outcomes, and you always had to be on your toes because you could be attacked from any angle. With the British, you knew that they would not attack, they'd be turtling up. It just seemed like Relic tried something new and it didn't really work, and it ended up sort of ruining the balance as a whole in the game. Others may have liked the Brits, but I found their defensive nature to really affect the whole game in a negative way.

Sorry for such a long post, but the original CoH is one of my top three games of all time (my favorite RTS to this day including Starcraft 2) and the failure of the expansions was really disappointing to me at the time (and still is). So far, all of the news about CoH2 seems excellent. I can't wait to see video footage of the game and learn more about how the factions will work. I'm gonna have to build a new computer for this one, but it will be worth it!

I finally got all patches downloaded and installed and everything worked out fine. I just don't understand why the patches have to be done in order incrementally and not have one update patch. It's madness...:bomb:

[quote name='Rhett']Good god. I'm installing it on my new laptop, and I had to grab so many patches off the torrents. And you NEED to be up to date to play after one of the patches, due to the login requirement. ARGH.

And I wasted time installing CoH, only to have Opposing Fronts uninstall it and replace it. DERP.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the patches are infuriating. Kinda glad I grabbed the game and all expansions on Steam for $10 so it downloads the newest version automatically. Not worth it to download those patches again--they never did make an all-inclusive one which is crazy.

I'm glad I picked up the complete edition, it's my first time with the game but I'm a big RTS fan and the game is great. Glad I got it, $10 for everything is a damn good price. I'm not a huge PC gamer so I'll be playing it off and on for a while.

This game interests me a lot. I never play RTS games (though I do have RUSE for the PS3, just haven't played it yet) and I never play PC games. But I want to play the first COH. I just ordered the COH Anthology from Amazon for $14.28 prime shipped since I missed the Steam sale. Still seems like a great price, evem though as you guys and all the reviews said, downloading the patches will be a bitch. If I like these games, which I think I will, I might actually buy a PC game (COH 2) at launch, which I've never done.

Hope you like it--the campaign in the original is still great, and you should still be able to find multiplayer games online as well!

Just saw some screenshots of COH2 on Facebook, looks VERY nice! I am getting the anthology in the mail today. I hope to play a good chunk of it this weekend. Can't wait!

It looks like they're thinking about releasing on consoles as well. While RTS's don't normally release on consoles since it's just not as easy to control, I completely understand why they would want to beef up sales (hint, THQ the parent company needs money so it doesn't go out of business). Even if they only sell a couple hundred thousand per console, that should help the bottom line.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...-entertainment-open-to-a-console-version.html

[quote name='Blaster man']It looks like they're thinking about releasing on consoles as well. While RTS's don't normally release on consoles since it's just not as easy to control, I completely understand why they would want to beef up sales (hint, THQ the parent company needs money so it doesn't go out of business). Even if they only sell a couple hundred thousand per console, that should help the bottom line.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...-entertainment-open-to-a-console-version.html[/QUOTE]

That's awesome. My laptop can handle the first game and the expansions, but I doubt it could handle the new one, and I don't plan on getting a gaming computer anytime soon. So if this came out for consoles, even if it's an inferior version, if I would be able to play it, I would be happy!

Although I want THQ to survive, and I am mainly a console gamer, I just can't imagine being able to play CoH on a console.

bread's done
Back