Photo
- - - - -

GOG Weekly Deal, Alan Wake w/ DLC for $14.99 (thru 15 May)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 TheKbob

TheKbob

Rock On, Duder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

As topic states, nab Alan Wake for $15 on everyone's favorite Polish game download network, Good Old Games.

http://www.gog.com/e...ecard/alan_wake

Enjoy, all!

Edited by TheKbob, 08 May 2012 - 12:30 PM.
(Weekly, not Weekend. Durp)

Posted Image

#2 Brenex

Brenex

Cobra Commander

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

I would just like to chime in that this is a nicedeal on a great game. If I didn't have the CE for Xbox already I would be all over this. The game was fun and the storyline was actually strong. If you just look at it from the outside, it looks like a derivative survival, horror game but I found the story and pacing was done very well. It's also fun to see what it would be like if Stephen King were to fall into the setting of one of his own books.

#3 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

I am all over this like a monkey on a banana tree!

Hopefully we'll see American Nightmare on GoG not long after.
Join the CAG's Steam Community HERE!
Posted Image

#4 BlockheadBrown

BlockheadBrown

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Outstanding deal! :)

#5 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

Does it activate on steam? Seriously...

I looked at the steam activation list.
I googled it.
I can only confirm that the amazon version requires steam but my preference is to have it on gog and steam.
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#6 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Does it activate on steam? Seriously...

I looked at the steam activation list.
I googled it.
I can only confirm that the amazon version requires steam but my preference is to have it on gog and steam.

One of the foundations of GOG is skirting DRM completely, so no, no Steam for this deal.

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

#7 pwnthee

pwnthee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

Not worth getting if you already own Alan Wake though. There are only two DLC "episodes" which only add about 3 total hours gameplay to an already pretty short game. If you already own the core game, you can definitely get those episodes cheaper.

Otherwise, if you don't own it...I guess this is good, but I think $15 should be the retail price on it, especially in digital-only form. It's a 2 year old game in a deep market. It's good, but be aware that it's also short. 10-15 hours tops for most.
Billy Mitchell is better than you.

#8 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

One of the foundations of GOG is skirting DRM completely, so no, no Steam for this deal.

Ya no duh. GOG will not REQUIRE steam but there are plenty of things on GOG that can be activated on steam.
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#9 pwnthee

pwnthee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

I would just like to chime in that this is a nicedeal on a great game. If I didn't have the CE for Xbox already I would be all over this. The game was fun and the storyline was actually strong. If you just look at it from the outside, it looks like a derivative survival, horror game but I found the story and pacing was done very well. It's also fun to see what it would be like if Stephen King were to fall into the setting of one of his own books.

Yeah, actually, King did that already. 8-)
Billy Mitchell is better than you.

#10 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Ya no duh. GOG will not REQUIRE steam but there are plenty of things on GOG that can be activated on steam.

Like what exactly? Not being a smart ass, just curious.

AFAIK only the indie bundles generally offer the dual option of DRM free or steam activation codes.

Anyway, presuming this doesn't activate on Steam, and I don't see anything on their page that says it does, I already got it for $20 a little while back and am happy to pay the extra $5 as I would much rather have it on Steam.

For those who prefer DRM free though this is a decent deal on a decent game. It probably will go cheaper eventually on Steam, but not for a while. I don't see it hitting more than 50% on the summer sale. Also this seems to currently be the only option get the game DRM free at present if that is your thing.

#11 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Wait what "plenty of things" that originate from GOG that activate on Steam? :-s

This is the first I've ever heard of such things.
Posted Image

#12 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Wait what "plenty of things" that originate from GOG that activate on Steam? :-s

This is the first I've ever heard of such things.

Perhaps I should bend over because apparently I was talking out of my CAssG. I thought that I had activated a game or two that I bought on GOG but after looking at my games list I realized I was wrong. There aren't exactly a lot of games on GOG that activate on steam however if a steam activateable game is ever added to GOG then there's no reason you couldn't add it to steam.

Hopefully, GOG will continue their trend with Witcher 2 and let us go the other way around as well.

#13 Andytizer

Andytizer

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

If you are coming to this game for the first time, remember to check this user-editable page of bugs, fixes and workaround: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Alan_Wake - if you discover a fix, take some time to add your own (no account required).

#14 ochentay4

ochentay4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Nice deal! The problem is that I dont have any money left, and a whole month to survive... and its DRM free!

#15 Bosamba

Bosamba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, actually, King did that already. 8-)

Off Topic: Are you talking about that Creepshow movie segment where King gets turned into plants?

On Topic: Great deal on this game. If I didn't already have it on Xbox 360 I'd be all over this since I love supporting GOG
:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#16 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Played through it 3 times on 360 and I'm still tempted to get it again. This game rules.

#17 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Man, that is an excellent price for the game and all that bonus content. I'm wondering if I should throw in the money; I've been excited about Alan Wake since the 360 days, and I was thrilled that a PC port was developed. As always, I'm going to consult my fellow CAG's - Is it worth the $15?

If you are coming to this game for the first time, remember to check this user-editable page of bugs, fixes and workaround: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Alan_Wake - if you discover a fix, take some time to add your own (no account required).

Whoa, I didn't realize this Wiki existed - I've been compiling my own issues and fixes thread here on CAG (A link to the thread is in my signature.), and I may just convert them all to this Wiki to reach a larger audience. (I believe that, in regards to the Grand Theft Auto's alone, more people need to know how to fix those horrible bugs.) Thanks for the link, Mr. Tizer.

#18 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

Amazon will have it for the same price, steam activatable during their big may sale. Also the collectors edition will be 50% off on amazon.

#19 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

Amazon will have it for the same price, steam activatable during their big may sale. Also the collectors edition will be 50% off on amazon.

Eh I rather have it from GoG. No account switching shenanigans or trying to get Steam's Offline mode to work when playing the game on two different computers.
Posted Image

#20 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Eh I rather have it from GoG. No account switching shenanigans or trying to get Steam's Offline mode to work when playing the game on two different computers.

Same.

Already own the CE on 360(and CE guide), but I loved the game so I might get the upgraded PC version.

Posted Image

#21 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

Man, that is an excellent price for the game and all that bonus content. I'm wondering if I should throw in the money; I've been excited about Alan Wake since the 360 days, and I was thrilled that a PC port was developed. As always, I'm going to consult my fellow CAG's - Is it worth the $15?

Whoa, I didn't realize this Wiki existed - I've been compiling my own issues and fixes thread here on CAG (A link to the thread is in my signature.), and I may just convert them all to this Wiki to reach a larger audience. (I believe that, in regards to the Grand Theft Auto's alone, more people need to know how to fix those horrible bugs.) Thanks for the link, Mr. Tizer.

Well worth $15, an amazing underplayed title of this generation.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#22 inm8num2

inm8num2

GOG Pogs are coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

Did you know that if you launch the game through the Steam client the game experience is just so much better?

;)

#23 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

Perhaps I should bend over because apparently I was talking out of my CAssG. I thought that I had activated a game or two that I bought on GOG but after looking at my games list I realized I was wrong. There aren't exactly a lot of games on GOG that activate on steam however if a steam activateable game is ever added to GOG then there's no reason you couldn't add it to steam.

Hopefully, GOG will continue their trend with Witcher 2 and let us go the other way around as well.

Thanks for being a jerk over nothing.

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

#24 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

Did you know that if you launch the game through the Steam client the game experience is just so much better?

;)

It is, if you but the collectors edition, which includes the soundtrack and directors commentary. That gog does not have. For those that care about that stuff

#25 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Off Topic: Are you talking about that Creepshow movie segment where King gets turned into plants?

Or Misery, maybe?

#26 Daykain

Daykain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

This seems like a very odd move to me, Remedy originally didn't release Alan Wake on PC because of pirating concerns, now there are DRM free versions. I know they made back their investment costs for porting it in 3 days after release but it just seems weird. Maybe it is the GOG effect.... And hopefully it spreads, I am looking at you Ubisoft.

Now to decide when and where to buy it. Wait until Steam summer sale since it is so close? Would be good to support GOG but no soundtrack. :cry:

#27 bdb2m

bdb2m

No Backseat Mods!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Or Misery, maybe?

In the Dark Tower series, Stephen King is actually a character in the last two books. I think that may be what he is referring to.

Also, to note, you get a 25% discount on American Nightmare, if you own Alan wake on steam.

Tough decision, I am going to buy can't decide which way to go...I really like GOG and I really like steam.

#28 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

It is, if you but the collectors edition, which includes the soundtrack and directors commentary. That gog does not have. For those that care about that stuff

The GoG version does include in-game video commentary as well. Which can be enabled in the options menu. I'm not sure if this is any different from what is found in the Steam Collector's Edition version (little video window pop-in while you play). American Nightmare will also be available for pre-order on GoG tomorrow as well with the 25% off offer (although for some reason it's $5 more on GoG Appears to have been corrected and is also available now for pre-order). Hopefully the soundtrack will be added in later.

I'm surprise how well the game performs after hearing all the performance horror stories when the port was initially release (on my brother's old e8400 @ 3.6 GHZ with 550 GTX Ti 1GB).

Edited by Pajama_Man, 08 May 2012 - 10:35 PM.

Posted Image

#29 nitman99

nitman99

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Steam now has it for $15 under Midweek Madness, Collector's Edition with commentary is $17.49. May be worth updating the thread title.

#30 inm8num2

inm8num2

GOG Pogs are coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

I was being sarcastic. While Steam and GOG offer different bonuses, I was speaking more generally. I'll choose DRM-Free any day over the apparent ecstasy of clicking a button in the Steam client rather than the Start menu.