Photo
- - - - -

GOG Weekly Deal, Alan Wake w/ DLC for $14.99 (thru 15 May)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 bdb2m

bdb2m

No Backseat Mods!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

I was being sarcastic. While Steam and GOG offer different bonuses, I was speaking more generally. I'll choose DRM-Free any day over the apparent ecstasy of clicking a button in the Steam client rather than the Start menu.

Hint: I am pretty sure he knew you were being sarcastic.

Steam offers a couple of extra things like achievements, time played and auto updates. Of course the downside is that Steam is DRM. This does not bother me, because Steam is at least fair about it. I can understand not liking DRM, but steam isn't exactly TAGES or securom either.

#32 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for being a jerk over nothing.

*bows* You're welcome. Thanks for feeding the internet your sarcasm. We all feared it would collapse without it.
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#33 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

*bows* You're welcome. Thanks for feeding the internet your sarcasm. We all feared it would collapse without it.

If you're referring to my initial post, that's odd because there was absolutely none of that intended - and I swing sarcasm about recklessly.

If you're simply referring to the post you responded to, well, obviously. How classy of you to remain a jerk even after you realized you were completely and totally incorrect.

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

Stream KMFDM's new album KUNST in its entirety here!

#34 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

If you're referring to my initial post, that's odd because there was absolutely none of that intended - and I swing sarcasm about recklessly.

If you're simply referring to the post you responded to, well, obviously. How classy of you to remain a jerk even after you realized you were completely and totally incorrect.

My comment to your comment was meant to be funny. I already took responsibility for my incorrect assumption and called myself an ass.

Now if I responded with something like, "perhaps you should see a doctor about adjusting your tampon", then I would remain a jerk. Actually, you were the one that tried to put the hurt on me with your reply, then another reply, then a pm. It's boring.

It's the internet we are all right except for when we are wrong like in my original response to you.
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#35 Duetschbag

Duetschbag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Based on everyone's feedback, it sounds like this is a pretty good price point for this game. Look's like I'll be picking this up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Now with Steam more or less matching the GOG price, I'm wondering which way I should go. After all, it's only $2.50 more for all the additional stuff, including the soundtrack.

#37 PenguinMaster

PenguinMaster

Sacrilicious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

This seems like a very odd move to me, Remedy originally didn't release Alan Wake on PC because of pirating concerns, now there are DRM free versions. I know they made back their investment costs for porting it in 3 days after release but it just seems weird. Maybe it is the GOG effect.... And hopefully it spreads, I am looking at you Ubisoft.

As strange as it is, games from GOG are rarely pirated. With Witcher 2 (which was available on GOG at launch) practically all the versions on the torrent sites were retail copies with cracks.

Plus since this was released on Steam before GOG, I'm sure there are already a flood of cracked versions out there. Releasing it on GOG won't increase piracy but may make people who are strongly against DRM buy it from GOG instead of pirating it.

Digital distribution is the death of the preservation of the arts.

Game Collection: http://backloggery.c...r=penguinmaster
Blu-ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...action=overview

#38 KHASN

KHASN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

The GoG version does include in-game video commentary as well. Which can be enabled in the options menu. I'm not sure if this is any different from what is found in the Steam Collector's Edition version (little video window pop-in while you play).

Are you sure about this?

I personally don't care about owning the soundtrack, so if the GOG version comes with the in-game developer commentary, i'm definitely buying the GOG version of Alan Wake.

Also am I the only one that sees the irony in a company called Good Old Games selling American Nightmare pre-orders? :)

#39 Bosamba

Bosamba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

Are you sure about this?

I personally don't care about owning the soundtrack, so if the GOG version comes with the in-game developer commentary, i'm definitely buying the GOG version of Alan Wake.

Also am I the only one that sees the irony in a company called Good Old Games selling American Nightmare pre-orders? :)

They're officially now know as just GOG.com. They announced this during their livestream last month where they also announced newer games that were coming, some brand new i.e. The Legend of Grimlock.
:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#40 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Alright for all ye skeptics and non-believers that the GoG version has video commentary...

Join the CAG's Steam Community HERE!
Posted Image

#41 Lawyers Guns N Money

Lawyers Guns N Money

Nobody from Nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

Perhaps I should bend over because apparently I was talking out of my CAssG. I thought that I had activated a game or two that I bought on GOG but after looking at my games list I realized I was wrong. There aren't exactly a lot of games on GOG that activate on steam however if a steam activateable game is ever added to GOG then there's no reason you couldn't add it to steam.

There aren't ANY games on GOG that activate on Steam, and if they keep with their no-DRM method, no game sold on GOG ever will activate on Steam. All GOG games as of now are without any kind of DRM. Meaning no CD-codes, activation codes, or any other kind of DRM. You just install and play. You won't get any type of code to input into Steam.

#42 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

There aren't ANY games on GOG that activate on Steam, and if they keep with their no-DRM method, no game sold on GOG ever will activate on Steam. All GOG games as of now are without any kind of DRM. Meaning no CD-codes, activation codes, or any other kind of DRM. You just install and play. You won't get any type of code to input into Steam.

I hadn't considered that about activation codes. After looking at my games list it looks like you're absolutely correct. Thanks for the info even if it did make me look like a bigger @ss :D

#43 SScorpio

SScorpio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

Some games on GOG do have cdkeys for multiplayer so it would be possible if a game that could activate on Steam was released on GOG. But otherwise the games are DRM free.

#44 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

I've got another question about the Alan Wake deal - GOG mentioned that we should "stay tuned for more extras soon." Does this mean that, if one already owns the game, that these additional "extras" will simply be added to the buyer's account when they become available? (In other words, those that already own the game on GOG will get the new stuff for free without having to re-buy the game.)

It's a dumb question, but I don't have enough GOG experience.

#45 Sandrock7383

Sandrock7383

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Not worth getting if you already own Alan Wake though. There are only two DLC "episodes" which only add about 3 total hours gameplay to an already pretty short game. If you already own the core game, you can definitely get those episodes cheaper.

Otherwise, if you don't own it...I guess this is good, but I think $15 should be the retail price on it, especially in digital-only form. It's a 2 year old game in a deep market. It's good, but be aware that it's also short. 10-15 hours tops for most.

i wanna know when is 10-15 hours became short enough of a gameplay experience to warn people that a game is "short."

10-15 hours on most titles is perfect. the gameplay on alan wake got stale towards the end already, if i had to be around that for another 20 hours or so, i would have broken the game for me.

#46 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

I've got another question about the Alan Wake deal - GOG mentioned that we should "stay tuned for more extras soon." Does this mean that, if one already owns the game, that these additional "extras" will simply be added to the buyer's account when they become available? (In other words, those that already own the game on GOG will get the new stuff for free without having to re-buy the game.)

It's a dumb question, but I don't have enough GOG experience.

I've never had any experience with GOG adding goodies to any of the games I've bought, but considering how they hooked up owners of the Witcher 2 and reading the release I would assume any goodies would just be added to your existing game when they are released and you'll just need to go to your shelf to DL them when they come out.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#47 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

I've never had any experience with GOG adding goodies to any of the games I've bought, but considering how they hooked up owners of the Witcher 2 and reading the release I would assume any goodies would just be added to your existing game when they are released and you'll just need to go to your shelf to DL them when they come out.

I hate to bump this topic a bit (Although, it is still a valid deal. In fact, it's currently the only and best one.), but, I have to say, if I was guaranteed those "extras" by buying now, I'd stop stalling and pick up Alan Wake.

Can any other GOG users comment on extras being added to their games? Are current owners "grandfathered into" such things?

#48 11440

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

I hate to bump this topic a bit (Although, it is still a valid deal. In fact, it's currently the only and best one.), but, I have to say, if I was guaranteed those "extras" by buying now, I'd stop stalling and pick up Alan Wake.

Can any other GOG users comment on extras being added to their games? Are current owners "grandfathered into" such things?

This has happened a couple of times with my GOG library. You are grandfathered into later-added bonuses, yes.

#49 fezlopez

fezlopez

Jill Valentine's BF

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

Nobody posted this, so I figured why not. GOG (known as Good Old Games) is a revamped competitor of Origin & Steam, they offer classic games, DRM free and some modern ones with fair prices.

Anyway, if you buy Alan Wake and it's sequel spin-off American Nightmare, you'll get 25% off the sequel. This offer is better than Steam's.

Alan Wake $14.99
Alan Wake's American Nightmare $11.24
(both must be in cart, total $26.23)

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/alan_wake

This is great for those who missed out on Steam's sale on Alan Wake.

ONE MORE THING.
If you register with GOG, you'll get 7 free games.
  • Beneath a Steel Sky
  • Lure of Temptress
  • Teen Agent
  • Tyrian 2000
  • Dragonsphere
  • Treasure Adventure Game
  • Ultima 4

Enjoy.:bouncy:

Edited by shrike4242, 14 May 2012 - 03:20 PM.

Hmmmmm, hamburgers......

#50 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

This has happened a couple of times with my GOG library. You are grandfathered into later-added bonuses, yes.

Thanks for that info, 11440. With that bit of knowledge, I felt comfortable enough to finally purchase Alan Wake. I'm very excited; I've wanted the game since it was an exclusive on the 360. I know it'll probably be cheaper in the very near future, but I've waited quite a while to see a PC release and decent sale on the game. Now, it's time to finally enjoy another Remedy game.

#51 Bosamba

Bosamba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

"Save 15% on this game if you own Alan Wake/Alan Wake's American Nightmarte or buy these two games together before 29 May"

The website is not clear but it seems that this sale is going to continue on through May 29. I couldn't find any more specific details besides that quote above the "add to cart" button.
:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/