GOG Weekly Deal, Alan Wake w/ DLC for $14.99 (thru 15 May)

I would just like to chime in that this is a nicedeal on a great game. If I didn't have the CE for Xbox already I would be all over this. The game was fun and the storyline was actually strong. If you just look at it from the outside, it looks like a derivative survival, horror game but I found the story and pacing was done very well. It's also fun to see what it would be like if Stephen King were to fall into the setting of one of his own books.

Does it activate on steam? Seriously...

I looked at the steam activation list.
I googled it.
I can only confirm that the amazon version requires steam but my preference is to have it on gog and steam.

[quote name='aus_nacht']Does it activate on steam? Seriously...

I looked at the steam activation list.
I googled it.
I can only confirm that the amazon version requires steam but my preference is to have it on gog and steam.[/QUOTE]

One of the foundations of GOG is skirting DRM completely, so no, no Steam for this deal.

Not worth getting if you already own Alan Wake though. There are only two DLC "episodes" which only add about 3 total hours gameplay to an already pretty short game. If you already own the core game, you can definitely get those episodes cheaper.

Otherwise, if you don't own it...I guess this is good, but I think $15 should be the retail price on it, especially in digital-only form. It's a 2 year old game in a deep market. It's good, but be aware that it's also short. 10-15 hours tops for most.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']One of the foundations of GOG is skirting DRM completely, so no, no Steam for this deal.[/QUOTE]

Ya no duh. GOG will not REQUIRE steam but there are plenty of things on GOG that can be activated on steam.

[quote name='Brenex']I would just like to chime in that this is a nicedeal on a great game. If I didn't have the CE for Xbox already I would be all over this. The game was fun and the storyline was actually strong. If you just look at it from the outside, it looks like a derivative survival, horror game but I found the story and pacing was done very well. It's also fun to see what it would be like if Stephen King were to fall into the setting of one of his own books.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, actually, King did that already. :cool:

[quote name='aus_nacht']Ya no duh. GOG will not REQUIRE steam but there are plenty of things on GOG that can be activated on steam.[/QUOTE]

Like what exactly? Not being a smart ass, just curious.

AFAIK only the indie bundles generally offer the dual option of DRM free or steam activation codes.

Anyway, presuming this doesn't activate on Steam, and I don't see anything on their page that says it does, I already got it for $20 a little while back and am happy to pay the extra $5 as I would much rather have it on Steam.

For those who prefer DRM free though this is a decent deal on a decent game. It probably will go cheaper eventually on Steam, but not for a while. I don't see it hitting more than 50% on the summer sale. Also this seems to currently be the only option get the game DRM free at present if that is your thing.

[quote name='aus_nacht']Ya no duh. GOG will not REQUIRE steam but there are plenty of things on GOG that can be activated on steam.[/QUOTE]

Wait what "plenty of things" that originate from GOG that activate on Steam? :whistle2:s

This is the first I've ever heard of such things.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Wait what "plenty of things" that originate from GOG that activate on Steam? :whistle2:s

This is the first I've ever heard of such things.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I should bend over because apparently I was talking out of my CAssG. I thought that I had activated a game or two that I bought on GOG but after looking at my games list I realized I was wrong. There aren't exactly a lot of games on GOG that activate on steam however if a steam activateable game is ever added to GOG then there's no reason you couldn't add it to steam.

Hopefully, GOG will continue their trend with Witcher 2 and let us go the other way around as well.

[quote name='pwnthee']Yeah, actually, King did that already. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Off Topic: Are you talking about that Creepshow movie segment where King gets turned into plants?

On Topic: Great deal on this game. If I didn't already have it on Xbox 360 I'd be all over this since I love supporting GOG

Man, that is an excellent price for the game and all that bonus content. I'm wondering if I should throw in the money; I've been excited about Alan Wake since the 360 days, and I was thrilled that a PC port was developed. As always, I'm going to consult my fellow CAG's - Is it worth the $15?

[quote name='Andytizer']If you are coming to this game for the first time, remember to check this user-editable page of bugs, fixes and workaround: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Alan_Wake - if you discover a fix, take some time to add your own (no account required).[/QUOTE]
Whoa, I didn't realize this Wiki existed - I've been compiling my own issues and fixes thread here on CAG (A link to the thread is in my signature.), and I may just convert them all to this Wiki to reach a larger audience. (I believe that, in regards to the Grand Theft Auto's alone, more people need to know how to fix those horrible bugs.) Thanks for the link, Mr. Tizer.

Amazon will have it for the same price, steam activatable during their big may sale. Also the collectors edition will be 50% off on amazon.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Amazon will have it for the same price, steam activatable during their big may sale. Also the collectors edition will be 50% off on amazon.[/QUOTE]

Eh I rather have it from GoG. No account switching shenanigans or trying to get Steam's Offline mode to work when playing the game on two different computers.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Eh I rather have it from GoG. No account switching shenanigans or trying to get Steam's Offline mode to work when playing the game on two different computers.[/QUOTE]

Same.

Already own the CE on 360(and CE guide), but I loved the game so I might get the upgraded PC version.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Man, that is an excellent price for the game and all that bonus content. I'm wondering if I should throw in the money; I've been excited about Alan Wake since the 360 days, and I was thrilled that a PC port was developed. As always, I'm going to consult my fellow CAG's - Is it worth the $15?

Whoa, I didn't realize this Wiki existed - I've been compiling my own issues and fixes thread here on CAG (A link to the thread is in my signature.), and I may just convert them all to this Wiki to reach a larger audience. (I believe that, in regards to the Grand Theft Auto's alone, more people need to know how to fix those horrible bugs.) Thanks for the link, Mr. Tizer.[/QUOTE]

Well worth $15, an amazing underplayed title of this generation.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Eh I rather have it from GoG. No account switching shenanigans or trying to get Steam's Offline mode to work when playing the game on two different computers.[/QUOTE]

Did you know that if you launch the game through the Steam client the game experience is just so much better?

;)

[quote name='aus_nacht']Perhaps I should bend over because apparently I was talking out of my CAssG. I thought that I had activated a game or two that I bought on GOG but after looking at my games list I realized I was wrong. There aren't exactly a lot of games on GOG that activate on steam however if a steam activateable game is ever added to GOG then there's no reason you couldn't add it to steam.

Hopefully, GOG will continue their trend with Witcher 2 and let us go the other way around as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for being a jerk over nothing.

[quote name='inm8num2']Did you know that if you launch the game through the Steam client the game experience is just so much better?

;)[/QUOTE]

It is, if you but the collectors edition, which includes the soundtrack and directors commentary. That gog does not have. For those that care about that stuff

[quote name='Bosamba']Off Topic: Are you talking about that Creepshow movie segment where King gets turned into plants?
[/QUOTE]

Or Misery, maybe?

This seems like a very odd move to me, Remedy originally didn't release Alan Wake on PC because of pirating concerns, now there are DRM free versions. I know they made back their investment costs for porting it in 3 days after release but it just seems weird. Maybe it is the GOG effect.... And hopefully it spreads, I am looking at you Ubisoft.

Now to decide when and where to buy it. Wait until Steam summer sale since it is so close? Would be good to support GOG but no soundtrack. :cry:

[quote name='Eldredpe']Or Misery, maybe?[/QUOTE]

In the Dark Tower series, Stephen King is actually a character in the last two books. I think that may be what he is referring to.

Also, to note, you get a 25% discount on American Nightmare, if you own Alan wake on steam.

Tough decision, I am going to buy can't decide which way to go...I really like GOG and I really like steam.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']It is, if you but the collectors edition, which includes the soundtrack and directors commentary. That gog does not have. For those that care about that stuff[/QUOTE]

The GoG version does include in-game video commentary as well. Which can be enabled in the options menu. I'm not sure if this is any different from what is found in the Steam Collector's Edition version (little video window pop-in while you play). American Nightmare will also be available for pre-order on GoG tomorrow as well with the 25% off offer (although for some reason it's $5 more on GoG Appears to have been corrected and is also available now for pre-order). Hopefully the soundtrack will be added in later.

I'm surprise how well the game performs after hearing all the performance horror stories when the port was initially release (on my brother's old e8400 @ 3.6 GHZ with 550 GTX Ti 1GB).

Last edited by a moderator:
Steam now has it for $15 under Midweek Madness, Collector's Edition with commentary is $17.49. May be worth updating the thread title.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']It is, if you but the collectors edition, which includes the soundtrack and directors commentary. That gog does not have. For those that care about that stuff[/QUOTE]

I was being sarcastic. While Steam and GOG offer different bonuses, I was speaking more generally. I'll choose DRM-Free any day over the apparent ecstasy of clicking a button in the Steam client rather than the Start menu.

[quote name='inm8num2']I was being sarcastic. While Steam and GOG offer different bonuses, I was speaking more generally. I'll choose DRM-Free any day over the apparent ecstasy of clicking a button in the Steam client rather than the Start menu.[/QUOTE]

Hint: I am pretty sure he knew you were being sarcastic.

Steam offers a couple of extra things like achievements, time played and auto updates. Of course the downside is that Steam is DRM. This does not bother me, because Steam is at least fair about it. I can understand not liking DRM, but steam isn't exactly TAGES or securom either.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Thanks for being a jerk over nothing.[/QUOTE]

*bows* You're welcome. Thanks for feeding the internet your sarcasm. We all feared it would collapse without it.

[quote name='aus_nacht']*bows* You're welcome. Thanks for feeding the internet your sarcasm. We all feared it would collapse without it.[/QUOTE]

If you're referring to my initial post, that's odd because there was absolutely none of that intended - and I swing sarcasm about recklessly.

If you're simply referring to the post you responded to, well, obviously. How classy of you to remain a jerk even after you realized you were completely and totally incorrect.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']If you're referring to my initial post, that's odd because there was absolutely none of that intended - and I swing sarcasm about recklessly.

If you're simply referring to the post you responded to, well, obviously. How classy of you to remain a jerk even after you realized you were completely and totally incorrect.[/QUOTE]

My comment to your comment was meant to be funny. I already took responsibility for my incorrect assumption and called myself an ass.

Now if I responded with something like, "perhaps you should see a doctor about adjusting your tampon", then I would remain a jerk. Actually, you were the one that tried to put the hurt on me with your reply, then another reply, then a pm. It's boring.

It's the internet we are all right except for when we are wrong like in my original response to you.

Based on everyone's feedback, it sounds like this is a pretty good price point for this game. Look's like I'll be picking this up.

Now with Steam more or less matching the GOG price, I'm wondering which way I should go. After all, it's only $2.50 more for all the additional stuff, including the soundtrack.

[quote name='Daykain']This seems like a very odd move to me, Remedy originally didn't release Alan Wake on PC because of pirating concerns, now there are DRM free versions. I know they made back their investment costs for porting it in 3 days after release but it just seems weird. Maybe it is the GOG effect.... And hopefully it spreads, I am looking at you Ubisoft.
[/QUOTE]

As strange as it is, games from GOG are rarely pirated. With Witcher 2 (which was available on GOG at launch) practically all the versions on the torrent sites were retail copies with cracks.

Plus since this was released on Steam before GOG, I'm sure there are already a flood of cracked versions out there. Releasing it on GOG won't increase piracy but may make people who are strongly against DRM buy it from GOG instead of pirating it.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']The GoG version does include in-game video commentary as well. Which can be enabled in the options menu. I'm not sure if this is any different from what is found in the Steam Collector's Edition version (little video window pop-in while you play).[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about this?

I personally don't care about owning the soundtrack, so if the GOG version comes with the in-game developer commentary, i'm definitely buying the GOG version of Alan Wake.

Also am I the only one that sees the irony in a company called Good Old Games selling American Nightmare pre-orders? :)

[quote name='KHASN']Are you sure about this?

I personally don't care about owning the soundtrack, so if the GOG version comes with the in-game developer commentary, i'm definitely buying the GOG version of Alan Wake.

Also am I the only one that sees the irony in a company called Good Old Games selling American Nightmare pre-orders? :)[/QUOTE]

They're officially now know as just GOG.com. They announced this during their livestream last month where they also announced newer games that were coming, some brand new i.e. The Legend of Grimlock.

[quote name='aus_nacht']Perhaps I should bend over because apparently I was talking out of my CAssG. I thought that I had activated a game or two that I bought on GOG but after looking at my games list I realized I was wrong. There aren't exactly a lot of games on GOG that activate on steam however if a steam activateable game is ever added to GOG then there's no reason you couldn't add it to steam.
[/QUOTE]
There aren't ANY games on GOG that activate on Steam, and if they keep with their no-DRM method, no game sold on GOG ever will activate on Steam. All GOG games as of now are without any kind of DRM. Meaning no CD-codes, activation codes, or any other kind of DRM. You just install and play. You won't get any type of code to input into Steam.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']There aren't ANY games on GOG that activate on Steam, and if they keep with their no-DRM method, no game sold on GOG ever will activate on Steam. All GOG games as of now are without any kind of DRM. Meaning no CD-codes, activation codes, or any other kind of DRM. You just install and play. You won't get any type of code to input into Steam.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't considered that about activation codes. After looking at my games list it looks like you're absolutely correct. Thanks for the info even if it did make me look like a bigger @ss :D

Some games on GOG do have cdkeys for multiplayer so it would be possible if a game that could activate on Steam was released on GOG. But otherwise the games are DRM free.

I've got another question about the Alan Wake deal - GOG mentioned that we should "stay tuned for more extras soon." Does this mean that, if one already owns the game, that these additional "extras" will simply be added to the buyer's account when they become available? (In other words, those that already own the game on GOG will get the new stuff for free without having to re-buy the game.)

It's a dumb question, but I don't have enough GOG experience.

[quote name='pwnthee']Not worth getting if you already own Alan Wake though. There are only two DLC "episodes" which only add about 3 total hours gameplay to an already pretty short game. If you already own the core game, you can definitely get those episodes cheaper.

Otherwise, if you don't own it...I guess this is good, but I think $15 should be the retail price on it, especially in digital-only form. It's a 2 year old game in a deep market. It's good, but be aware that it's also short. 10-15 hours tops for most.[/QUOTE]

i wanna know when is 10-15 hours became short enough of a gameplay experience to warn people that a game is "short."

10-15 hours on most titles is perfect. the gameplay on alan wake got stale towards the end already, if i had to be around that for another 20 hours or so, i would have broken the game for me.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I've got another question about the Alan Wake deal - GOG mentioned that we should "stay tuned for more extras soon." Does this mean that, if one already owns the game, that these additional "extras" will simply be added to the buyer's account when they become available? (In other words, those that already own the game on GOG will get the new stuff for free without having to re-buy the game.)

It's a dumb question, but I don't have enough GOG experience.[/QUOTE]

I've never had any experience with GOG adding goodies to any of the games I've bought, but considering how they hooked up owners of the Witcher 2 and reading the release I would assume any goodies would just be added to your existing game when they are released and you'll just need to go to your shelf to DL them when they come out.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I've never had any experience with GOG adding goodies to any of the games I've bought, but considering how they hooked up owners of the Witcher 2 and reading the release I would assume any goodies would just be added to your existing game when they are released and you'll just need to go to your shelf to DL them when they come out.[/QUOTE]
I hate to bump this topic a bit (Although, it is still a valid deal. In fact, it's currently the only and best one.), but, I have to say, if I was guaranteed those "extras" by buying now, I'd stop stalling and pick up Alan Wake.

Can any other GOG users comment on extras being added to their games? Are current owners "grandfathered into" such things?

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I hate to bump this topic a bit (Although, it is still a valid deal. In fact, it's currently the only and best one.), but, I have to say, if I was guaranteed those "extras" by buying now, I'd stop stalling and pick up Alan Wake.

Can any other GOG users comment on extras being added to their games? Are current owners "grandfathered into" such things?[/QUOTE]

This has happened a couple of times with my GOG library. You are grandfathered into later-added bonuses, yes.

Nobody posted this, so I figured why not. GOG (known as Good Old Games) is a revamped competitor of Origin & Steam, they offer classic games, DRM free and some modern ones with fair prices.

Anyway, if you buy Alan Wake and it's sequel spin-off American Nightmare, you'll get 25% off the sequel. This offer is better than Steam's.

Alan Wake $14.99
Alan Wake's American Nightmare $11.24
(both must be in cart, total $26.23)

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/alan_wake

This is great for those who missed out on Steam's sale on Alan Wake.

ONE MORE THING.
If you register with GOG, you'll get 7 free games.
  • Beneath a Steel Sky
  • Lure of Temptress
  • Teen Agent
  • Tyrian 2000
  • Dragonsphere
  • Treasure Adventure Game
  • Ultima 4

Enjoy.:bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back