interesting rumor i heard in a psn lobby re: ps3 upgrade vs early ps4 release

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 chrislisting

chrislisting

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:56 AM

idk if its true, how valid, or if this is just the ravings of a ps3 fanatic, but in a lobby in psn i was talking to this guy about ps4

he said sony might offer a gpu upgrade, push the limit of the cell, and perhaps increase ram, instead of rushing a ps4 release to beat xbox.

i for one, tho some dissagree, think the cell remains unfully tapped, so i continued to listen.

the upgraded nvidia gpu would be installed and the cpu would possibly be overclocked or something, along with increased ram/bus, etc...256mb supposedly....im not sure and i dont recall all the "specifics" cuz some of it didnt sound like it was for real, but it was interesting

point was with the upgrade, the ps4 could be released later than the xbox while the ps3 would still be competing for a lil while. did anyone else hear anything like this?

#2 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:04 AM

nope but has there even been an upgrade to a system that worked well? aside from the n64 pack ?

#3 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

He's full of shit. There is no way that Sony would take on the liability of having people "upgrade" their existing PS3's.

#4 chrislisting

chrislisting

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:13 AM

its suposedly an official sony upgrade package

#5 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

A split user base will never be successful.

#6 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:10 AM

I've gotten three PSN messages with "codes" for $50 in PSN cash recently. Each time the codes WERE codes but gave errors after you hit continue. I'd more likely believe the next time it's real than this.

That reminds me I have some people I need to now block for stupidity.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#7 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

Well if the guy in the virtual chat room said it..

#8 chrislisting

chrislisting

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:19 AM

i hope u guys dont mean me man, i heard this in a mw lobby. i just thought it was interesting. so i passed it on in case anyone else heard it.

#9 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

Sometimes I think it takes more effort for people to write in all lower case.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that your shift key is broken. :beer:

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#10 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

i hope u guys dont mean me man, i heard this in a mw lobby. i just thought it was interesting. so i passed it on in case anyone else heard it.

not at all. no need to block you. I need to block the idiots who sent me those codes. Copy-paste was one of the worst things to come to PSN specifically b/c it enabled spam messages.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#11 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Nvidia hasn't been the best partner from what I've heard. Pretty sure the reports have indicated ATi has been tapped for the next/net GPU in the PS4.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#12 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

A split user base will never be successful.

Yup.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#13 Mad39er

Mad39er

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

I like how the "rumor" you heard is almost word for word what was posted in another PS3/PS4 thread, never mind that I actually posted it.
Gran Turismo 5 B-Spec Primer - Now with colors!
"When I started racing my father told me, ‘Cristiano, nobody has three balls but some people have two very good ones'." – Cristiano Da Matta

"Any drunk can fall off a bar stool. It takes a real man to ride it all the way to the ground."

Referal for Dusk 514:

#14 xsouthparkx

xsouthparkx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

Well, it sounds very fake.

I doubt people would want to open their PS3 consoles which would void the warranty. Overall it sounds kind of dumb. Although I'd be interested in doing it if it does have some good effect, but it doesn't sound like it.

What should we care to know of what is going on in that great insane asylum called "the world" ?

-Franz Hartmann

#15 mrx001

mrx001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Count down. http://us.playstation.com/e3-2012/

#16 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

This rumor is dumber than the "next gen consoles won't play used games" one floating around.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#17 superhippy1986

superhippy1986

Collecting Panties

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

That would just seem strange if those rumors are true..
Bethesda Excuse defined..

http://www.urbandict...Bethesda Excuse

#18 evilw0n

evilw0n

Deals & Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

Did those kids mention a soldering & de-soldering kit to be included as well? While I have not looked at this in several years, my recollection is that the cpu, gpu, and RAM are all soldered in.

Seems as likely as Wang making a comeback.

#19 snowsquirrel

snowsquirrel

solid squirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

I think we can all agree that this is unlikely. It has been said many times. The obvious being that 98% of PS3 owners are not capable of doing the upgrade themselves. I suppose it is possible that for a fee Sony would do the upgrade for you, but I don't see that being profitable. Bottom line, not happening.

I didn't post this to reiterate what has already been said, but simply to say "Lay off". Everyone who has dropped in on this thread has said the same thing, but found a new way to be a jerk about it. Can we just kill this thread. OP was just posting what he heard, and was asking for our input on it. He was posting something he heard, so we could all thing of new and creative ways to call him a ritard.
* Need a notebook for your project? www.projectnotebookr.com: tasks, notes, timelines, etc.
* The Blog of an Educated Squirrel: comments on gaming, technology, and other general nerdery.

#20 mrspicytacoman

mrspicytacoman

Apply Ubik only as directed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

I don't think Sony would pull a Sega.

[IMG][IMG]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5561/segagenesistowerofpower.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

#21 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

I'm curious now about that genesis cleaning system cartridge.

How was it supposed to clean anything?

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!