CAGcast #282: Lickmynauts, Fitbitches!

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

All this talk about the fitbit has made me seriously look into getting one. I'm on Amazon right now staring at it. What's the difference between the regular one and the ultra? I suppose I should just get the ultra since it's the same price.

I've also gone ahead and added Goon to my queue for when it comes out at the end of the month. I'll gladly take the recommendation of someone that liked Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and may not have liked Drive.

Oh, and go Devils.
Posted Image

#32 Chrisness

Chrisness

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

I would have gotten the new Samsung SSD over Intel ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I play Halo 3, Rainbow Six, SSBB, Carcassonne, Worms, others online. PM me to play SSBB, send friend request to play Xbox Live.

#33 danchilders

danchilders

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Am I missing something on that rig of Cheapy's?

Where is the graphics card? I was just curious as to what he was ordering.

I bought a gaming PC last year and haven't played a PC game in nearly a decade (and only barely then in the Unreal Tournament days). But since I built mine, it has become my favorite gaming platform.

As long as you can learn to be patient with the occasional issues that crop up, you get games that look and play like next gen games at a fraction of the cost of their console counterparts. Plus tons of very cool indie games that you won't see anywhere else.

Currently I'm loving Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl and Skyrim (both with unbelievable graphics mods).

#34 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

You gotta follow Cheapy on twitter or at least read his tweets on the front page.

He tried to buy a 690 on ebay but it fell thru, so now it sounds like he's just getting a single 680.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#35 aclayton

aclayton

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

My little gamer and I also had success with Spider-Man: Friend or Foe, I strongly recommend any of the Lego games, particularly the Star Wars Complete Saga one. The drop-in/out co-op is great, part beat-em-up with light puzzles, tons of characters with different abilities (good for memorization/categorization, he's not interested in the movies but now knows more about the series' characters than I do). It was the first game he really was able to get into, at about 3 1/2 yo, I think the play hour count a few years later has pushed over 200!

(and Wombat.. Lickmynauts, I rewound several times and laughed out loud each time) Love the show guys..

#36 danchilders

danchilders

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

You gotta follow Cheapy on twitter or at least read his tweets on the front page.

He tried to buy a 690 on ebay but it fell thru, so now it sounds like he's just getting a single 680.

Ah well the "tried and true" is usually way better than the "new hotness," especially for someone who doesn't want to deal with a lot troubleshooting.

But still the word "just a 680" made me laugh. That computer is like more powerful than 10 Xbox 360s. The 690 are just totally impractical luxury items. I doubt there is anything in the next five years that will really take advantage of that kind of card.

#37 danchilders

danchilders

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

They seem so dismissive of it that I also kind of wonder what if anything could convince Wombat and Shipwreck that PC gaming is worth caring about.

Is it the cost or entry or the needed upkeep?

I never really played PC games my entire life until last year but since then I've really discovered what I've been missing. Not only do you get the graphical next generation today with high end releases, you also get a ton of cool indie and experimental games that would never be released on console.

Cost of entry, I admit, initially tough to swallow (but you don't have to go crazy like Cheapy apparently did). But by the time you add all the "hidden costs" of console games up--Xbox Live fees, more expensive games, etc--in the long term things balance out.

#38 youruglyclone

youruglyclone

Last Man in Userplane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

was the pastrami place Langer's perhaps?

http://www.langersdeli.com/

#39 Jasper Kazai

Jasper Kazai

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

Awesomenauts is great. I played it at PAX East and even better, got it free from PSN. It is the same game genre as DOTA, Monday Night Combat, League of Legends only it is 2D and 80's cartoon themed.

Yeah, same genre as LoL and the like. The genre's name is MOBA, which is Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. I play LoL myself but I only heard of the genre's name recently, so it's not surprising the guys didn't know it.

I'm not a huge CoD player (spent a decent amount of time with Black Ops, but didn't bother getting MW3), but I would not be interested in a handheld CoD in the slightest. Although I haven't been able to try out a Vita, so maybe it wouldn't be horrible. But the thought of it is not appealing at all right now.

#40 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

I'm not a CoD player, but I can't see why anyone would want to play it on a Vita. If you want to play CoD, it's going to be for the multiplayer, and for that you will need a wifi connection. Since the most like place for that will be at home, why wouldn't you just play it on a console or pc instead?

#41 Mad dog

Mad dog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

Completely inappropriate title I just have to say.

Posted Image

#42 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Great episode. Pretty awesome of Cheapy to get Wombat a FitBit. I kinda want one of those things. Looks really cool.

And Cheapy, if you want good death animations and blood spray, I think Max Payne 3 is your game.

Edited by Fjordson, 13 May 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#43 wendellmn

wendellmn

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

I don't know that I found it ironic but I did think it kind of odd. The Minecraft community is unique, to be sure, but for Cheapy to associate it with 12 year olds was a bit off. There is a very robust community out there that enjoy minecraft quite a lot, mods created, videos made and people use it to make up their own stories instead of using a pre-written one. Certainly not for everyone, but not that easy to dismiss either.

Did anyone else find it kind of ironic that all 3 of the guys blew off Minecraft, but in the same podcast Wombat mentioned that his daughter liked Lincoln logs? Wombat, if she does enjoy playing with toys like that, I am willing to bet she'd enjoy this game, or even just have fun watching you play for a while.

Well, Wombat didn't necessarily blow it off, but I was definitely surprised at Shipwreck's reaction.

I will be the first to admit this game isn't for everyone, but even in my Minecraft "noobness" I have to say, it is fun just to explore and learn how to make all the different items in the game.

Cheapy, I hope I get to play Tribes with you someday, though I will very likely suck.

Thanks for another fun podcast.

#44 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

I washed my hands and felt a boob. I did something.

Something that many gamers don't do in real life, even.

Fitbit certainly sounded interesting, so I immediately went online and ordered Personal Trainer: Walking DS for $12 :) (Amazon is $16, found an eBay auction for $12, make sure you buy new)

Essentially the same level of fun for 1/8 the price, and comes with two pedo-meters.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#45 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

I ordered a fitbit because of Cheapy's endorsement. It better not disappoint.

I liked this episode much more than the last one. Last show was just very mediocre. Keep it up, Guys!
Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#46 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

I'm not a CoD player, but I can't see why anyone would want to play it on a Vita. If you want to play CoD, it's going to be for the multiplayer, and for that you will need a wifi connection. Since the most like place for that will be at home, why wouldn't you just play it on a console or pc instead?

Because you don't have to tie up a TV or PC to play the game? You can take it around your house where you want to relax and enjoy it without having to be stuck in one place. The other potential bonus is a cheaper price tag. That's one of the most appealing aspects of handhelds for me, though I might be willing to check it out if they're bringing Black Ops 2 over since that has the most interesting single-player that I've seen since Call of Duty 4.

#47 IronChariot

IronChariot

CAG Deity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

It's sad that even the CAGcast is now pushing the left-wing agenda.

Did he insult Mt. Rushma?

#48 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

for some unknown reason. . .i can no longer download cagcasts to my iphone. the little "Free" icons do not become "Download" icons. It just freezes up. i only have this issue with the CAGcast btw.

#49 stevew2607

stevew2607

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

In regards to COD on the Vita, I play a decent amount on my PS3 and I have no urge to play a cinematic, intense shooter experience in a portable format. I know they are going to make one, but playing COD is experience best enjoyed on a comfy couch, in front of a giant HD tv in surround sound. Holding it your hand on a 6 inch screen no matter how pretty just doesn't cut it. Plus being able to see every detail is essential to being decent at the multiplayer. Are you really going to be able to see all the detail on a small screen?

I have a PSP and really enjoy it, but I use it for minis and for RPGs. I have tried many other type of game genres on it, and I just don't like it. Until the Vita has a good lineup of solid RPGs I will not be picking it up.

If its suppose to be cinematic I will play on my console on my couch plain and simple.

#50 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

AFter listening to the first portion of the podcast I can only conclude that FitBut will gather dust twice as quickly since it is both a piece of exercise equipment and a game. ;)

Anyway best piece of exercise equipment i ever bought was a treadmill a few years back.

3 reasons. First winters get cold and snowy and long. Second I have kids and it allows me to sneak in 20 minutes of exercise without leaving the house. Third I can watch tv while on it.

I tried gaming on it but that proved to be dangerous.

Most friends joked that the treadmill would become a clothes hanger but, after a few years, that hasn't been the case. I just find it easy to hop on it for 20 minutes and walk a mile here and there. Instead of plopping on the couch to watch tv I hop on the treadmill here and there.

I think key for me has been not to overdo it and get burnt out. Try to make a lifestyle change first and foremost. Change my habits more than anything.

Eating right is another story.

#51 Greencapt

Greencapt

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:02 AM

Cheapy, I've recently started playing games 'for real' with my 4 year old son. He's played limited amounts of Wii & Kinect games but I finally let him try some co-op games with me. He surprised me with how quickly he learned controls & how much he remembers level-to-level. His favorites so far are "Cat & Robot" (his name for Ratchet & Clank All 4 One on PS3) and LEGO Batman or Star Wars on the 360.

My only problem now is his nonstop asking to play all day.

#52 tankyroo

tankyroo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

My brother said if cod were to come out on vita soon he would buy a vita right now. I think cod would sell amazingly on vita.

#53 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

A proper CoD on Vita would much more desirable than GT.

There hasn't been a proper online shooter on a handheld yet. But they would have to put money into it.

Even then the market might decide it would rather stick to the console when playing a shooter.

GT wouldn't do anything here. Maybe in Europe.

#54 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

My only problem now is his nonstop asking to play all day.

Yep. my four year old (turns five in 2 weeks) definitely wants to play more than we let him. I always make him read books to me first, but even then it's too much so we have to have multiple "no games" days during the week.

That said, Toy Story 3 is a great co-op game to play with a 4 or 5 year old. Mine is also really into Super Smash Bros Melee, which is a perfect fighting game for young kids. It's got the popular Nintendo characters, you can do timed matches so dying quickly doesn't matter, the violence is very cartoony and understated, you can have a free-for-all or play co-op in team battles, you can set handicaps, etc, etc. If you have a GCN definitely try this game!

#55 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

I would be thrilled if Call of Duty came out for the vita for the same reason I was thrilled when Mortal Kombat was released earlier this month. The reason: I suck at both games, and this gives me an opportunity to practice on the go or at work.

#56 ThomasTruong

ThomasTruong

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

As you've predicted Wombat, yes, some characters from the comic/show have appeared in the Walking Dead game. And while it's not necessary to do extra research, fans of the franchise may get a bit more from knowing about the characters and what ultimately happens to them.

#57 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Wombat wasn't kidding. . . having two kids is brutal.

We had our second kid last June and i feel like i have aged 10 years since then.

#58 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

Not sure how i feel about letting my kid (four 1/2 year old girl) play video games with punching and shooting. I am not an overly protective parent by any stretch but i'd like to hold out as long as possible on the cartoon violence. I am already dealing with her being influenced by Disney Tween shows, i don't need to add shooting/punching/'splosions to the equation.

#59 Greencapt

Greencapt

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

Yep. my four year old (turns five in 2 weeks) definitely wants to play more than we let him. I always make him read books to me first, but even then it's too much so we have to have multiple "no games" days during the week.

Yeah I've adopted a strictly 'this is an occasional treat' method and he understands books, outside play, etc come first. That said this is the 'new thing' so of course that's what he wants the most. :)

That said, Toy Story 3 is a great co-op game to play with a 4 or 5 year old. Mine is also really into Super Smash Bros Melee, which is a perfect fighting game for young kids. It's got the popular Nintendo characters, you can do timed matches so dying quickly doesn't matter, the violence is very cartoony and understated, you can have a free-for-all or play co-op in team battles, you can set handicaps, etc, etc. If you have a GCN definitely try this game!

Might try SSBM. I had totally forgot I bought Toy Story 3 awhile back so I broke it out today to try and it was a good family gaming session. Not overly complicated, good goal & mission set. I've started calling to (to myself) 'Grand Theft Woody'.

#60 CaptNink

CaptNink

Building consensus.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

I was very disappointed in Wombat this show: no mention of the "Dawnguard" DLC announcement for Skyrim? What about the Skyrim Kinect update? I think Cheapy was right--Wombat's fallen out of love with the Elder Scrolls!

Great show as always guys -- keep up the good work!
Posted Image]