Photo
- - - - -

CAGcast #283: RAM JAM

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#91 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

The value saved is often overstated. I've been shopping for a pc and decided to load all the components from a Digital Storm build into a Newegg cart. The difference was about $150. I've built enough pc's so that its no longer fun, and $150 is well worth the price of not having to deal with it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned building for $500...yeah that isn't gonna happen.

I've built plenty of computers for $500. If you just put in a bunch of components rather than searching for the best deals of course you won't save much money.

Just quick estimate with very vague (but conservative numbers):
100 mobo
250 cpu
100 case
50 ram
100 OS
100 HDD
150 video card
---------
$850 already

It doesn't sound like you are being a cag about it.
Even search of new egg items that are not on sale will find better prices on all those components with specs that are more than enough to blow away console graphics.
Not to mention that you can probably get an old case for free and used hard relatively cheap.
You could easily knock $300 of that price with out even doing any shopping around or waiting for deals.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#92 ultrarobotninja

ultrarobotninja

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

Cheapy and Ship :

Posted Image

And dont forget to plug your new PC to a tv and wireless x360 controller for a superior couch gaming experience then you are used to.

#93 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

This is CAG, but Shipwreck and especially Cheapy don't give a shit about saving a couple of hundred bucks by putting together a PC from scratch themselves. Nor should they.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#94 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

This is CAG, but Shipwreck and especially Cheapy don't give a shit about saving a couple of hundred bucks by putting together a PC from scratch themselves. Nor should they.

I said it was fine that they didn't, so I don't know why anybody is really arguing this. My point was that it could've been a good way to learn more about their PCs so they don't need to yell at each other to figure out what RAM is.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#95 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Cheapy and Ship :

Posted Image

And dont forget to plug your new PC to a tv and wireless x360 controller for a superior couch gaming experience then you are used to.

So your saying they're gay lovers?
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#96 CXK

CXK

KillerInstinctOnline.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

Just because you can afford to buy a dedicated gaming PC doesn't give you the right to buy one on a whim.

Yeah shipwreck! How dare you buy a gaming pc without consulting the pc gaming committee!

kinav.gif
www.killerinstinctonline.net  -  The best Killer Instinct site!

#97 Horsewarrior of Janjaweed

Horsewarrior of Janjaweed

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

The significantly cheaper cost of games is also great.

I really disagree with this. It might seem cheaper on first glance, but buying a game on PC is a sunk cost. There's no recuperation from selling it used. Add in how easy it is to amass a backlog with all the sales, and you have a lot of money flying away.

Basically what I'm saying is I spent $800 on PC games last year and the only thing I actually played were F2P games. Oh god and now I'm thinking about how much I spent on League of Legends.