Photo
- - - - -

Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Collector's Set (PS3 & 360) - $149.99 - Avail. 9/18

• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

#331 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

Canceled mine as well. It's a bit too much for what physically comes with the box. Would be interesting to know what the limited numbers are.

^ If it was limited at all it would be sold out somewhere... and at this point I can't find a single retailer that has stopped taking preorders.

To put it into perspective on Capcom's twitter account there is a blurb about the Street Fighter Chess set being a "hot seller".

Well they produced 5,000 of those and still have over 4,300 left.

I believe Capcom is a little out of touch with reality.

#332 ilifecomputer

ilifecomputer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

Cancelled mine too. If it was physical media I would be all over it. But a bunch of codes and two games I already got? Would def pay about 80 for that soundtrack.

#333 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

capcom, amazon, gamestop, best buy, newegg, buy, frys, walmart, kmart, heck even deep discount has it. Its still available at all of those stores right now.

Thanks for answering my question, but Deep Discount I wouldn't touch w/a 10-foot pole, Fry's doesn't exist in the Midwest (minus Indy) or East Coast, and buy.com isn't trustworthy either IMO. I imagine BB, WM, and KMart will have it be an online-only item, but I could be wrong about BB.

If KMart actually carries it in-store, just watch it like a hawk and see if it drops, but remember how hard it was for Josh to get KMart to drop the price on CE's, and that's when KMart gave a damn about games. My local WM still has Uncharted 3 CE for $100, and JUST NOW in the last 2 months dropped the MK 9 CE to the low, low price of $60, when you can have the complete edition for $40. Your only bet to get this cheap at retail is to find a BB/GS that gets an extra and watch it weekly to see if it remains in stock and wait for a MSRP drop that will surely bring this thread back up and make me look like an idiot.

I just don't see Capcom overproducing this set like the Halo 3/Reach Legendary's, Gears 3 Epic, KZ 3 Helgast, Skyrim CE, etc. I still remember people selling the $150 TE sticks for $300 plus when it came out b/c MadCatz couldn't produce enough. Yes that was a different time, but I just think this is going to be harder to find than others are thinking, at least at brick and mortar.

If BB carries it, I might be wrong but I haven't seen any MP 3 CE in any local STL BB's even before the price drop, and I got the only SW: TOR CE in STL BB on the day it dropped to $20. The stories I read in that thread about pallets of the SW CE being at their local BB just don't exist in STL. Hell all of our stores minus 1 are sold out of Witcher 2 b/c of it's $30 off coupon. Also all of our stores sold out in less than 12 hours of NFS: The Run when it was $5. If you don't get a BB deal day 1 or within the first 12 hours in STL, then you missed your shot.

I can understand being frugal as while I own many of the mass produced CE of this gen I didn't pay full price for the mass produced ones (only ones I did pay full retail were ME 1-3 CE, AC 2/3 CE, and Alan Wake [granted paid mostly w/TIC at Gamestop outside of the online only ME 1 CE] with my only regrets being the AC CE's) but for once Capcom has produced something that is truly worthy of the title CE and is a HELL of a lot better value than the sold out nationwide $150 CE of Borderlands 2, which is an absolute joke.

That thing is just as overpriced as any of the mass produced CE and it's almost nothing but DIGITAL items (ooh an artbook, bobblehead, and Steelbook tin but not even a soundtrack?!) but that's ok b/c it's Gearbox but Capcom includes a ton of DLC that isn't on the disks and it's got everyone upset and saying they're not going to buy it until it hits the bargain bin. Yes I would rather have the SF 4/SF x Tekken stuff be on disk and get a disk for SSF2THDR/SF 3 TS but that's not going to make or break the collection for me. Myself and many long-time fans are buying this mainly for the soundtracks/animes included. The games/Ryu statue/belt are just icing on the cake.

Capcom deserves flack for a lot of stuff, hell I've chewed them a new one many a time on Checkmate Arcade, but for once they've done something right and people don't want to give them credit b/c it's Capcom. Just like John Cena tonight gave one of the best promos he's ever done with a crowd that hated him and with knowing Hall of Fame wrestler/announcer Jerry Lawler suffered a heart attack mid-show and was fighting for his life in a Montreal hospital but still hit it out of the park and people will still hate Cena b/c he's Cena.

If this actually hits $60 at retail pull this thread back up and I'll eat crow, but I just don't think it's going to happen. While fighting games are legit back, they don't sell like the bro games outside of NYC and California. My local GS wasn't doing a midnight launch tonight for TTT 2, it was for the 100 plus preorders they had for NHL 13, with the manager defying his DM by having it b/c he's a Blues season ticket holder and he wanted to enjoy being around fellow hockey fans at a time when hockey may have finally dug its own grave (2nd lockout in less than 5 years incoming.)

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#334 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for answering my question, but Deep Discount I wouldn't touch w/a 10-foot pole, Fry's doesn't exist in the Midwest (minus Indy) or East Coast, and buy.com isn't trustworthy either IMO. I imagine BB, WM, and KMart will have it be an online-only item, but I could be wrong about BB.

If KMart actually carries it in-store, just watch it like a hawk and see if it drops, but remember how hard it was for Josh to get KMart to drop the price on CE's, and that's when KMart gave a damn about games. My local WM still has Uncharted 3 CE for $100, and JUST NOW in the last 2 months dropped the MK 9 CE to the low, low price of $60, when you can have the complete edition for $40. Your only bet to get this cheap at retail is to find a BB/GS that gets an extra and watch it weekly to see if it remains in stock and wait for a MSRP drop that will surely bring this thread back up and make me look like an idiot.

I just don't see Capcom overproducing this set like the Halo 3/Reach Legendary's, Gears 3 Epic, KZ 3 Helgast, Skyrim CE, etc. I still remember people selling the $150 TE sticks for $300 plus when it came out b/c MadCatz couldn't produce enough. Yes that was a different time, but I just think this is going to be harder to find than others are thinking, at least at brick and mortar.

If BB carries it, I might be wrong but I haven't seen any MP 3 CE in any local STL BB's even before the price drop, and I got the only SW: TOR CE in STL BB on the day it dropped to $20. The stories I read in that thread about pallets of the SW CE being at their local BB just don't exist in STL. Hell all of our stores minus 1 are sold out of Witcher 2 b/c of it's $30 off coupon. Also all of our stores sold out in less than 12 hours of NFS: The Run when it was $5. If you don't get a BB deal day 1 or within the first 12 hours in STL, then you missed your shot.

I can understand being frugal as while I own many of the mass produced CE of this gen I didn't pay full price for the mass produced ones (only ones I did pay full retail were ME 1-3 CE, AC 2/3 CE, and Alan Wake [granted paid mostly w/TIC at Gamestop outside of the online only ME 1 CE] with my only regrets being the AC CE's) but for once Capcom has produced something that is truly worthy of the title CE and is a HELL of a lot better value than the sold out nationwide $150 CE of Borderlands 2, which is an absolute joke.

That thing is just as overpriced as any of the mass produced CE and it's almost nothing but DIGITAL items (ooh an artbook, bobblehead, and Steelbook tin but not even a soundtrack?!) but that's ok b/c it's Gearbox but Capcom includes a ton of DLC that isn't on the disks and it's got everyone upset and saying they're not going to buy it until it hits the bargain bin. Yes I would rather have the SF 4/SF x Tekken stuff be on disk and get a disk for SSF2THDR/SF 3 TS but that's not going to make or break the collection for me. Myself and many long-time fans are buying this mainly for the soundtracks/animes included. The games/Ryu statue/belt are just icing on the cake.

Capcom deserves flack for a lot of stuff, hell I've chewed them a new one many a time on Checkmate Arcade, but for once they've done something right and people don't want to give them credit b/c it's Capcom. Just like John Cena tonight gave one of the best promos he's ever done with a crowd that hated him and with knowing Hall of Fame wrestler/announcer Jerry Lawler suffered a heart attack mid-show and was fighting for his life in a Montreal hospital but still hit it out of the park and people will still hate Cena b/c he's Cena.

If this actually hits $60 at retail pull this thread back up and I'll eat crow, but I just don't think it's going to happen. While fighting games are legit back, they don't sell like the bro games outside of NYC and California. My local GS wasn't doing a midnight launch tonight for TTT 2, it was for the 100 plus preorders they had for NHL 13, with the manager defying his DM by having it b/c he's a Blues season ticket holder and he wanted to enjoy being around fellow hockey fans at a time when hockey may have finally dug its own grave (2nd lockout in less than 5 years incoming.)

^ This is being sold in the Capcom store. Almost everything that is sold in the Capcom store hits a clearance. Just see the $29.99 MvC3 SE or the $49.99 Dead Rising 2 High Stakes Edition. And just because a retailer may not carry it in-store doesn't mean they are going to be willing to give up valuable warehouse space just to keep it at MSRP for two years.

If this is as limited as you think it is then it should have sold out prior to release. I'm still trying to find a single site that has stopped taking preorders.

I'm not saying it's a bad purchase or a bad CE but I don't think it is going to sell out prior to release or soon thereafter.

#335 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

Well when it drops to $60 or below I'll eat crow. I'm just upset this didn't sell out while the vastly inferior Borderlands 2 $150 UE sold out within a week or two of its announcement when it's major flaw is the same thing that people are hating about this CE but it's ok for one b/c it's a Gearbox game but it's not ok with a Capcom series.

I bet Nintendo fans would love if Nintendo did something like this for Mario or Kirby, or hell anything with Zelda.

And to show I'm not a Capcom fanboy, Capcom not bringing out the 25th Anniversary Mega Man music set boxed in an E-Tank tin in the West and leaving it Japan only is crap IMO, but like Colin Moriarity of IGN, I think it's them trying to bury anything related to Kenji Inafune.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#336 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Well when it drops to $60 or below I'll eat crow. I'm just upset this didn't sell out while the vastly inferior Borderlands 2 $150 UE sold out within a week or two of its announcement when it's major flaw is the same thing that people are hating about this CE but it's ok for one b/c it's a Gearbox game but it's not ok with a Capcom series.

I bet Nintendo fans would love if Nintendo did something like this for Mario or Kirby, or hell anything with Zelda.

And to show I'm not a Capcom fanboy, Capcom not bringing out the 25th Anniversary Mega Man music set boxed in an E-Tank tin in the West and leaving it Japan only is crap IMO, but like Colin Moriarity of IGN, I think it's them trying to bury anything related to Kenji Inafune.

I'm willing to bet that Capcom produced many more of the SF 25th Anniversary CE's then Gearbox produced of the Ultimate Loot Chest Editions.

I love the RE franchise and think Capcom puts a lot cool stuff in its store but here is a company that made 5,000 of the SF chess sets, priced them at $299.99 and wonders why they still have 4,300+ left to sell.

You should be happy it hasn't sold out as there are many better opportunties to get it for less now (i.e. B1G1 50% off, coupon stacking, sales, clearances, etc.)

#337 WebScud

WebScud

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

I'm going to cancel mine.

Even though the statue and the belt are pretty awesome, I've grown tired of CE clutter. I already have the two DLC games and picked up AE with all the DLC during the Steam Summer Sale. I'd be interested in the BDs and CDs, but not for $150.

I want to check out SFxT at some point, but I guess I'll wait.

#338 AdamTen

AdamTen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

I don't think it's a bad CE. I think it's cool and really want it. I'm just a cheapass who thinks he can get it for less than MSRP, so I'll roll the dice.

Also, this is the first I've heard about this Mega Man soundtrack thing. It looks amazing and I want it.

#339 eres

eres

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

ya doesn't seem like it's going to end up llimted don't really care I want it anway

#340 cakefoo

cakefoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

I read a while back on the Capcom forums that this has a "limited" quantity of 30,000, with slightly more PS3 units than 360.

edit: found it. Site's down, had to Google cache it. Search for "30,000"

http://webcache.goog...lient=firefox-a

Our numbers are 14,500 for the Xbox 360, and 15,500 for the PS3. So that's 30,000 total. I should note, we're not reprinting this. Once that number is gone, it's gone for good.

#341 AdamTen

AdamTen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

How does that compare to other CEs?

#342 Gideon68

Gideon68

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

i cancelled both my orders. No biggie for me if it sells out.

#343 king9x

king9x

King of NYNEX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

I don't understand all the hate for this box set. Its a great deal, especially for the PS3. I was a big SF fan back in the arcades, and have yet to pick up any of the new ones.

For me, this is a great package. Looking forward to it.

decept1.png

#344 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

The hate is mainly because it's all digital. Even still, for the price, you get a lot of value. This in an age where COD map packs are $15 freaking dollars, and we pay $150 for big, stupid CEs of just one single game. I think some people need to reframe how they look at this. Screw Capcom for making it all digital, but good on them for at least making it worth it!

Check out my YouTube channel for collection updates, games industry discussion, and game analysis!
http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

My Blog for more in depth looks at video games (and even anime!): http://helldestroyer77.blogspot.com/

#345 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

Gaming Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

I thought about getting it more than once and I even preordered it but I recently canceled it.

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#346 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

Disregarding DLC, which is frivolous for these games, here is the cost-by-cost of everything.

Games
-Street Fighter X Tekken $40
-Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (with all costume DLC) $30
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix $15
-Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition $10

-All episodes of the Street Fighter animated series (DELICIOUS!) Why not stream?
-Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie Why not stream?
Light-up Ryu statue $30
Ryu's belt $15

~$135 without stuff that's going to be uploaded on YouTube anyway (Documentaries & soundtracks). Even so....from that package you have two digital only games that will be worthless if you already own them. Not to mention Street Fighter x Tekken has some serious issues (console breaking glitch still hasn't been patched), so IDK. I would only put $150 if it came with a tournament arcade stick.

I like your cost breakdown. I don't think this is worth it. Why wouldn't they include SF 1??? And then the SF movie with Van Damme?!?!?!
Posted Image

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them." - George Orwell

#347 Gideon68

Gideon68

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

I might only be one of the few out there but I never really got into Street Figher and only ordered because it was an Anniversary Collection. I was more into Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat.

#348 DANIEL

DANIEL

DANNY FAKnTASTIC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

I pre ordered this in amazon for PS3 but Im thinking of canceling it. $150 is too much and I have a feeling that by black friday it might be on sale.

DANNY_FAKnTASTIK.pngfs_overall.png

#349 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

Just canceled my preorder, like everyone else. There's a strong chance this'll go cheaper after it fails to sell. Sucks to be Capcom.
Posted Image

#350 KrayzieKMF

KrayzieKMF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:02 AM

I like your cost breakdown. I don't think this is worth it. Why wouldn't they include SF 1??? And then the SF movie with Van Damme?!?!?!

That breakdown was a bit old though. The prices should be even lower now. IE SF X Tekken is $20 and SF4: AE should be around $20 as well.

#351 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

Just canceled my preorder, like everyone else. There's a strong chance this'll go cheaper after it fails to sell. Sucks to be Capcom.

yea maybe if they didnt make this 150 dollars which very few CE's are actually worth that price. the master chief helmet for halo 3 was cool and i say worth it. MW2's night vision goggles were quite obviously worth it and quite frankly i'd never buy a pair of those otherwise lol. but such awesomeness is hard to find.

#352 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

The Halo 3 goofy little helmet does not get to be called a good value when ALL the games and DLC included in this is not. I love Halo, but come on. That jus-dun-make-sense!!

Check out my YouTube channel for collection updates, games industry discussion, and game analysis!
http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

My Blog for more in depth looks at video games (and even anime!): http://helldestroyer77.blogspot.com/

#353 fatboy1111

fatboy1111

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

You guys will regret canceling these, 25th annivesary only comes around once and these are limited worldwide, they will be completely gone fellas and ladies.
The statue alone will be worth more than $150 write that down.

Edited by fatboy1111, 12 September 2012 - 02:24 AM.
extra

#354 DANIEL

DANIEL

DANNY FAKnTASTIC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

has capcom provided more details on the statue? is it battery operated or does it have an electrical cable for an outlet?

DANNY_FAKnTASTIK.pngfs_overall.png

#355 Finch106

Finch106

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

$150 for digital content is absurd. Absolutely absurd. The resin statue is not worth $150. It's as tall as a 360 game case.

#356 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

The Halo 3 goofy little helmet does not get to be called a good value when ALL the games and DLC included in this is not. I love Halo, but come on. That jus-dun-make-sense!!

i for one enjoyed it. also for some strange reason because you do stuff like this at 2 am my friend wanted to take it apart so it could be worn as a helmet and succeeded so ours is much cooler.

EDIT:

also i love halo...street fighter i do not. besides the helmet looks special a bunch of DLC games that are already easily gotten in other forms is what is bugging most people here as well as the fact the soundtrack will be online within a day and that leaves the anime....sure that anime might be awesome but i doubt it i really dont remeber it too well but i dont remeber it as great.

but again let me stress i am not a big street fighter fan. halo however amazes me and i love it.

#357 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

That breakdown was a bit old though. The prices should be even lower now. IE SF X Tekken is $20 and SF4: AE should be around $20 as well.

Both games are $20 now.

Why would anyone regret cancelling this. It is still in stock at a half dozen+ reliable retailers. They aren't all going to go out of stock overnight. Take your pick: Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, Newegg (I'm sure I'm missing a few).

The point is very few gamers outside fighting or SF fans are going to see the value in this as most of the included games are bargin bin titles.

#358 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

You guys will regret canceling these, 25th annivesary only comes around once and these are limited worldwide, they will be completely gone fellas and ladies.
The statue alone will be worth more than $150 write that down.

There are a minimum of 30K of those cheap statues. Given how many people are cancelling just here and on other boards I frequent, this is definitely going to go bargain bin without a doubt.

#359 NuclearPorkchop

NuclearPorkchop

Herc Mondo's Cousin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

Maybe if they'd thrown the ENTIRE Street Fighter collection at this, it'd be worth it. I'm talking:

SF Alpha Anthology for PS2 (which includes a special version of Alpha 3)
SF Anniversary for PS2 (because that version of SF2 is unique)
Street Fighter 2V Anime series on Blu-ray/DVD (even in place of the gawd-awful USA cartoon; and if on DVD they could even use pre-existing discs!).

And that would only add another ~$40 of value, given Amazon's current prices on those items NEW right now.

OH, and a physical pressing of SF2HDR+SF3Online, to go with the Anniversary ps2 disc. That would be actually be awesome.

Like others have pointed out, the physical soundtrack is about the only universal super-desirable item in this set (Ryu statue is up to preference), and we all know that will be ripped and up online release day if not before.

Hell, the only thing Capcom actually had to produce were 30k copies of the soundtrack CD's, and the Ryu belts + statues. That's a pretty low run of items to begin with, coupled with the 99% likelihood that the belt is going to be some super cheap chinese POS.

The "main games" are just going to be copies they had lying in a warehouse anyways, and the 360 version is getting fucked anyway since it won't even include the download vouchers for the Alpha games (which aren't available on XBLA anyway, I know...). How the hell did Capcom think they would get away with selling all of this for $150.....IDK. Actually, I'd start to consider it at about $75-80. That makes way more sense to me.

Currently Playing:
:ps3: MGS Peace Walker HD

:360: n/a
:pc: Hearthstone, Sam & Max S1E04; Spec Ops The Line

Add me on Steam, we'll play games and stuff:

#360 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

My problem is everyone is bitching about digital content, but yet almost the entire Borderlands 2 UE is digital content but that's ok. The bobblehead in that vs. the Ryu statue cancel each other out, both have artbooks, and the belt/box/certificate of authenticity cancel out the Steelbook/certificate from Borderlands 2 UE.

Then you have a bunch of "exclusive DLC" plus the Borderlands 2 game, while with SF you get 2 games, all DLC (which costs over $60 by itself) for those 2 games, 2 more downloadable games on 360 (which is 5 on the PS3 version), an 11-disc soundtrack, and a 2-disk Blu-Ray set that has 2 SF 4 animes (one which has never been released in America while the other is rare,) another SF 2 anime, and the (lackluster yes) US SF animated series, plus a SF documentary.

^ that paragraph blows Borderlands 2, and just about any other CE this gen, out of the water but since it's Capcom it's ok to totally hate on them, even when they don't deserve it. Granted that's not often, but this is one of those cases.

I hope everyone is correct and is able to get this. I have to pay for this with TIC so I had to get it through GS but hopefully everyone who wants this will be able to get it. I'm going to try to make an unboxing video for it next week, we'll see how it goes.

Edited by MSUHitman, 12 September 2012 - 03:44 PM.

743275.png