Photo
- - - - -

Gamefly Daily Deals - Cities XL 2012 $13.59, Expansion $5.10 (PC)

• Please log in to reply
897 replies to this topic

#841 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:36 AM

Transparency is always best. If someone is going to spend money, they should know the likeliness of whether or not product they're buying is going to come damaged. Whether or not the disc plays is besides the point; I have a disc with an pie-shaped section broken off and it still plays.

Chipped discs can cause, 1. A disc to not play correctly, 2. Heavier labor on your disc drive (especially Blu-ray), and 3. Lower resale value on the game.

GameFly discs being chipped is not an "exaggerated" or isolated occurrence. It happens all the time. Does it happen every time? No, some people have great experiences. Others buy 20+ discs and get maybe one or two in good condition. That's a problem, and every potential buyer here deserves to know as such. Saying "kk, we talked about it now stop" doesn't work, because it's an ongoing issue and newcomers to the thread deserve to know the facts. Anyone who doesn't agree with that can complain all they want, but the topic is going to persist whether they like it or not. Or at least until GameFly stops sending damaged products.

If that bothers you, then don't read the thread. It's rather selfish to tell people to stop talking about something because you don't want to have to see it.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#842 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:36 AM

^+1.
my tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...718#post8655718

now playing:

-insert DC icon here- GUNLORD :hot:

#843 4nik8tor

4nik8tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

all I know is that my $10 USED game better be in mint condition or I'll post some pictures!! (its easier than returning it)

#844 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

"I'm all for butt stuff" -Munkywawa

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

Transparency is always best. If someone is going to spend money, they should know the likeliness of whether or not product they're buying is going to come damaged. Whether or not the disc plays is besides the point; I have a disc with an pie-shaped section broken off and it still plays.

Chipped discs can cause, 1. A disc to not play correctly, 2. Heavier labor on your disc drive (especially Blu-ray), and 3. Lower resale value on the game.

GameFly discs being chipped is not an "exaggerated" or isolated occurrence. It happens all the time. Does it happen every time? No, some people have great experiences. Others buy 20+ discs and get maybe one or two in good condition. That's a problem, and every potential buyer here deserves to know as such. Saying "kk, we talked about it now stop" doesn't work, because it's an ongoing issue and newcomers to the thread deserve to know the facts. Anyone who doesn't agree with that can complain all they want, but the topic is going to persist whether they like it or not. Or at least until GameFly stops sending damaged products.

If that bothers you, then don't read the thread. It's rather selfish to tell people to stop talking about something because you don't want to have to see it.

I agree. Every time I order a new game from them I usually mention on here whether or not it has chips. I do get frustrated with the overreactions like "Gamefly is the devil, they sent me a chipped disc" or "you're PS3/360 is gonna blow up the second you put in that chipped disc" or ChunLi, whom I should probably just ignore as he's an obvious troll.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#845 the_ENEMY_

the_ENEMY_

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

every time I see this thread bumped I get excited about possible new deals. If there are no new leads on any new deals how about we talk about chipped discs to customer service and only customer service.
Posted Image

#846 EYEL1NER

EYEL1NER

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

I get that someone should know that they are buying damaged goods, but these are used games from a rental service. It should be a given that there might be minor scratches on a disc. And I would certainly call scratches 'damage.'

I don't really have a problem with people talking about the chips though. It's the "ZOMG GameFly is the worst! All their games are chipped!" reactions that people have that irritate me.
You're buying a used game. If you don't want chips or pitting on your disc, that's okay. Send it back. But if you are expecting a flawless perfect disc, go buy it new.

I wonder what some of the people who are very vocal about it would say after buying some used games from GameStop...

#847 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

I get that someone should know that they are buying damaged goods, but these are used games from a rental service. It should be a given that there might be minor scratches on a disc. And I would certainly call scratches 'damage.'

I don't really have a problem with people talking about the chips though. It's the "ZOMG GameFly is the worst! All their games are chipped!" reactions that people have that irritate me.
You're buying a used game. If you don't want chips or pitting on your disc, that's okay. Send it back. But if you are expecting a flawless perfect disc, go buy it new.

I wonder what some of the people who are very vocal about it would say after buying some used games from GameStop...

Well, scratches and used games kind of go hand in hand. Chips, though, are a different story. Honestly, I've never heard of another game seller sending out chipped discs. Ever. That's where the issue lies.

As for people saying GameFly is worst and all, I really haven't seen that. Not in a long time at least. More of the complaining is people screaming in all caps to stop talking about the chips. Complaining about complaining?

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#848 fueledbytrueman

fueledbytrueman

Throw some D's on it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

How long does it normally take for Gamefly's case/manual/online pass to arrive once it's been shipped? It says my BF3 stuff shipped on Saturday, but I still haven't gotten it. The game itself came Monday and it shipped the same day. If it makes any difference, I used the "keep" option and I'm in SE Michigan.

#849 Alamo

Alamo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

How long does it normally take for Gamefly's case/manual/online pass to arrive once it's been shipped? It says my BF3 stuff shipped on Saturday, but I still haven't gotten it. The game itself came Monday and it shipped the same day. If it makes any difference, I used the "keep" option and I'm in SE Michigan.

Took about a week or so for my standalone BF3 case to arrive while the discs got here much earlier.

Luckily, I had used a BF3 online pass on my account previously so I wasn't in need of the code to get here.

#850 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

Are there actually going to be any deals in this thread any time soon? I keep checking back because it's always a dang hog call each night as to whether the new deals get posted or the old deals stay in the topic for three days after the fact.

But what does it keep getting bumped for? 42 pages later, what else is there to talk about but CHIPPED DISKS AGAIN. STILL. 42 PAGES OF NOTHING BUT CHIPPED DISCS

So true. I think I liked it better when people didn't know or didn't care about the chips... every time these damned chips are mentioned there is a flood of newcomers who are worried/inquisitive about the chips that everyone is talking about, regulars who want to update us on the condition of games they received, and stoners who were looking for cool ranch dorito chips but accidentally stumbled on this page. Like a sucker I keep going to the thread to see if there's a deal but it's always just people going on about "Chipgate" (trademark pending)

To be fair, half of the discussion is just one user repeating "Chipped discs FTL" like he thinks it's a convincing argument.

Gamefly CS is fine. GoHastings doesn't do 1-to-1 exchanges either. Most used games vendors don't.

#851 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

Bump just cuz

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#852 fueledbytrueman

fueledbytrueman

Throw some D's on it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

Took about a week or so for my standalone BF3 case to arrive while the discs got here much earlier.

Luckily, I had used a BF3 online pass on my account previously so I wasn't in need of the code to get here.

Cool thanks for the info. Should be here soon then. Did it come USPS or UPS?

#853 Cimpy101

Cimpy101

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Everything I've bought from Gamefly has been practically in mint condition.

#854 NightCat

NightCat

Backtoad_Overload

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Do not even bother these people have no common sense. The ones praising the chipped stuff. I hope there drives go fast so MS gets more money selling more consoles... The internet seems to lack common sense these days.... :booty::drool::cry::bouncy::roll::booty:

#855 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Do not even bother these people have no common sense. The ones praising the chipped stuff. I hope there drives go fast so MS gets more money selling more consoles... The internet seems to lack common sense these days.... :booty::drool::cry::bouncy::roll::booty:

You're point is only strengthened by your 6 unnecessary emoticons.

#856 GT

GT

CAG Commando

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

The chipped disc issue has not been my personal experience. I've bought at least a dozen games from GF in the past year and they've all been fine (MY definition of fine - no major visible wear and is playable). I don't buy used from anywhere else now. Sorry for those who report a negative experience with GF games, but I don't seem to be able to understand because I have not had that experience in over 4 years of buying from them.

They have the best prices around, great service and (for me) incredible reliability. I will continue to buy tons of games from them.

I only post this so that those with no experience with GF have the full spectrum of opinion.

Probably best that those with "chipped disc sensitivity" stop buying used or just stop buying from GF altogether and leave their sales for the rest of us. You certainly shouldn't buy used games if you're a collector looking for a certain level of quality unless you can inspect the disc prior to purchase.

#857 ijustw1n

ijustw1n

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

As a PS3 gamer, never had an issue with gf purchases. Just ANOTHER reason ps3 is better.
I was looking for a website for ass gaming, but I found this one instead.

#858 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

#poppinpills

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

I am always amazed by how many people love to whine and complain about everything. This is the downfall of soceity, everyone is so fucking entitled.

Mods will delete this post, but i dont care. :)

Fuck work

Wrencrest.png

#859 Derrick1979

Derrick1979

For the love of GAMING!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

As a PS3 gamer, never had an issue with gf purchases. Just ANOTHER reason ps3 is better.

Thats ok while you wait 20+ mins to play your game that requires a mandatory install I will be enjoying it on my 360 :lol:

#860 chunlirocks

chunlirocks

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

Fanboi much brokitten ?
:joystick: CERTIFIED GRADE A VIDIOT:joystick:

IN MY CONSOLES - NOW PLAYING:
:ps3: BLAZBLUE and DEMON's SOULS
:360: MUSHIHIMESAMA FUTARI 1. 5
:ps2: EVERBLUE 2
:wii: METROID PRIME TRILOGY
:psp: Field Commander
:xbox: XYANIDE

#861 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

Durabis. It's a patent held by Sony that they coat all bluray discs with to help prevent damage.

Thats ok while you wait 20+ mins to play your game that requires a mandatory install I will be enjoying it on my 360 :lol:

A small drawback for free online multiplayer.

#862 VideoGamesIzFun

VideoGamesIzFun

Legalize it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

I have bought tons of games from gamefly and they have been in mint to very good condition.

I think if chipped games are an issue to you, you shouldn't buy used games anywhere.

On topic: Where are the sales?? I looked through the last couple pages and found nothing but crying

#863 Investor9872

Investor9872

CAG Supremo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Why the hell? I have purchased 100 of used games over the last 20+ years, and none of them are chipped until Gamefly. People purchase used games and special editions for a number of different reasons such as for their collections all the time. Some people like to be able to trade their used games. That comment of yours about people shouldn't be buying used games if they don't want or like chips in them is arrogant, ignorant and very elitest. It's just plain ugly, and a slap to the face for those of us who have gotten these chipped discs from Gamefly. You of all people, with your 79 trades, should know better.

I have bought tons of games from gamefly and they have been in mint to very good condition.

I think if chipped games are an issue to you, you shouldn't buy used games anywhere.

On topic: Where are the sales?? I looked through the last couple pages and found nothing but crying

<p>Gamefly PS3 chipped discs. Click on more pictures below to enlarge them.
Investor9872.png

#864 GT

GT

CAG Commando

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

I love this chipped disc war. It's so full of the absurdity of life that I appreciate.

I collect used prophylactics that were in use at brothels and I'm always shocked when there's a hole in one. WTF? I paid 30 cents for these!

#865 Rozz

Rozz

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Actually, I got an unplayable PS3 game from GameFly before. The center spindle section of the disc was cracked. How that passed quality assurance is beyond me.

The chipped discs typically work, but it would be nice if GameFly could find a way to resolve an issue that has been going on for a long time now.

#866 csmason1

csmason1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

I am always amazed by how many people love to whine and complain about everything. This is the downfall of soceity, everyone is so fucking entitled.

Mods will delete this post, but i dont care. :)

^This +1. Thank you for bringing proper perspective to this discussion. There is a clear method of customer service for GF. I checked my account, and have ordered 9 discs from GF. Every single disc played properly in my 360 or PS3. They will continue to get my business.

#867 Kniq

Kniq

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

I've only purchased four games from gamefly so far, but... All of them were cheaper than I could get anywhere else, they all shipped super fast, had their guts (unlike other used resellers) and had no signs of wear. I'll continue to give them my business as well.

I agree with folks who think chipped discs that still play are shitty.

I agree with folks who think that the discussion of damaged discs can go in another forum.

I searched "free shipping" on GF. Deus Ex popped up so I added it to my cart and proceeded to checkout only to find that it did NOT have free shipping! I am FURIOUS!

Not really, just closed the browser window.

#868 fujimitsu

fujimitsu

I came to drink milk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

The chipped discs typically work, but it would be nice if GameFly could find a way to resolve an issue that has been going on for a long time now.

I think the key here is that the chipped discs almost always work. It's a cosmetic issue, and a pretty minor one.

The only way to fix it would be to reinforce their mailers, which would increase the cost of the mailers themselves as well as the shipping costs. Every used game you're buying has been shipped multiple times in multiple mailers, so this cost would compound. Even if it's only a few cents, it would be a sizable cost increase for them. They'd have to redesign (and re-manufacture) their mailers, and re-negotiate their rates with the USPS. All just to resolve a minor cosmetic issue with some of their games once they're sold off used.

I don't see them fixing it any time soon. They already offer some of the best prices on used games, especially considering that the cases come mint and with DLC. Their used game sales aren't their major revenue source, simply a method of clearing out excess inventory. And it already succeeds, they sell through everything pretty quickly. They've no incentive to add costs as they have no trouble selling the excess as-is.

#869 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

Just got my game. It shipped in 2 days from Pittsburgh. There are no chips but the game does have scratches. Nothing horrible and I've gotten discs from Gamestop that have worse scratches so no big deal. First time using Gamefly and overall im happy...defintely going to sign up for there rental service.

jukeboxtimebomb.png

#870 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Durabis. It's a patent held by Sony that they coat all bluray discs with to help prevent damage.

Unfortunately that coating only helps prevent scratches; not chips. PS3 gamers have time and again received chipped discs from GameFly as well.

That's kind of a silly statement, since GameFly is literally the only retailer who sends chipped discs.

I agree with folks who think that the discussion of damaged discs can go in another forum.

The discussion is here because not only is it on-topic (this is the GameFly thread after all), it's so that new buyers can see what they're getting into ahead of time.

I think the key here is that the chipped discs almost always work. It's a cosmetic issue, and a pretty minor one.

The only way to fix it would be to reinforce their mailers, which would increase the cost of the mailers themselves as well as the shipping costs. Every used game you're buying has been shipped multiple times in multiple mailers, so this cost would compound. Even if it's only a few cents, it would be a sizable cost increase for them. They'd have to redesign (and re-manufacture) their mailers, and re-negotiate their rates with the USPS. All just to resolve a minor cosmetic issue with some of their games once they're sold off used.

I don't see them fixing it any time soon. They already offer some of the best prices on used games, especially considering that the cases come mint and with DLC. Their used game sales aren't their major revenue source, simply a method of clearing out excess inventory. And it already succeeds, they sell through everything pretty quickly. They've no incentive to add costs as they have no trouble selling the excess as-is.

Well one, calling chipped discs a "minor" and "cosmetic" issue is very subjective. Chipped discs can put extra labor on your disc drive, and beyond that it's a fairly serious form of damage (even if it plays fine). A piece of the disc is literally missing. By your reasoning, I could draw all over the top of a disc with sharpie (hell, let's just put my name on it) and since it would still play, you'd call it a "minor cosmetic issue". Now I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I think a lot of people here would be rather miffed if a company stated sending out discs with sharpie writing all over them. Of course if that's just your opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. Just saying.

As for your comments about the mailers causing the damage, I have to chime in that that is not the reason behind the chips. I've been a Netflix subscriber for years, and not once have I ever received a chipped disc (and Netflix mailers are VERY chintzy). GameFly discs are chipped during the resurfacing process, and judging from the frequency of good versus bad discs coming from certain distribution centers, that fact has generally been confirmed.

bZ2g3eF.png