Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#302 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

So I want to play, but the whole character starving while I'm not playing completely turns me off. It's a game...my life cannot revolve around a game. It's unfortunate the devs felt the need to include this :(

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#303 Strider21

Strider21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:32 AM

So I want to play, but the whole character starving while I'm not playing.(

umm
who the hell told ya that.

oh and i think we're gonna do another night and Wednesday, if i can get brents lazy ass to post another event on steam. so make sure youre in the group
http://steamcommunit.../groups/cagdayz
if you're not in it yet, post your steam link for an invite

#304 BrentronD

BrentronD

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

So I want to play, but the whole character starving while I'm not playing completely turns me off. It's a game...my life cannot revolve around a game. It's unfortunate the devs felt the need to include this :(

That's not how it works anymore.

#305 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:49 AM

Dat Vid

This reminds of the old days in MMORPGs of luring high level monsters to low level zone and watching the horror from a distance....Dat Chat LOG...LOL

Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!

http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

It's free or Fuck it!

#306 JBaz

JBaz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

This reminds of the old days in MMORPGs of luring high level monsters to low level zone and watching the horror from a distance....Dat Chat LOG...LOL

Term is called kiting. And those were funny back in the day.
Posted Image

#307 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

That's not how it works anymore.

Really? In the case I'm actually interested. I was readying through the early pages of the thread when I saw that. So...any deals on Arma II + OA?

#308 Sporkis

Sporkis

Will Duel 4 Mead!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

But you also have/had the camo M40A3, which you knew was a hacked-in weapon. :X (I think you're Insidious, right?)

Nope, I'm Sporkis in the group.

Decent chance that a hotfix (1.7.2.6) might come out today.

Kind of sucks about the converting ammo glitch being fixed, but we all knew it was coming. Granted it only worked on what one pistol/revolver and the DMR/CZ 550? But still, it was slightly handy to have. At least we can save vehicles again.

Sounds like we need to go get a helicopter, ASAP.

Thats going to be really hard to do now, since they changed it that only one repairable heli spawns per server.

#309 Rhett

Rhett

Global Defense Initiative

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Nope, I'm Sporkis in the group.

Ah, my bad. Y U (and others) NO PLAY DAYZ MORE?

So my Day(Z) went like this, yesterday:

I had logged out at the NW airfield with my brother. I logged in just to check out some of the barracks and look for a new rifle. After a little while, I made it to the ACT/fire station.

I'm running to the fire station when I notice someone is joining. Zombies are chasing me in the open as I say to myself, "Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit~". I run into the corner but the zombies kind of lose interest. I notice something odd, right next to me...

The one other guy happened to log in right in front of me (pointing away). He had a bandit mask, so I had no choice but to gun him down as soon as he logged in. He was then promptly kicked a few seconds later due to a high ping. :X (he had nothing interesting on him) -- I don't know if I should feel bad, or laugh hysterically.

And then I was playing Lingor with my brother, later on, and we split up for FIVE SECONDS and I manage to get knocked unconscious (by a zombie) in the middle of the street. He runs down, kills the zombie. But not before another zombie runs in from left field to knock his ass out as well!

My legs are broken at this point, and this crazy one-man-army zombie is feasting on him. I have my hatchet out for silence' sake... so I think nothing of it, aim at the zombie, and swing... *CRACK* -- Oh no! I broke my brother's legs and sped up his bleeding! -- *swings again* *AGONIZING SCREAMS* Aaaaand he's dead. DERP.

I think it's safe to assume the North in general is a "free-fire zone" anyway. At least, that's how I consider it, unless someone is very clearly friendly and/or I don't have anything valuable.
Steam: Rhett816

#310 Sporkis

Sporkis

Will Duel 4 Mead!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Ah, my bad. Y U (and others) NO PLAY DAYZ MORE?

I DO DAM IT!!:D

Seriously though I'm usually on like every other day playing DayZ. It's just usually I'm solo and tend to avoid confrontation. So I tend to pick low server count and hop in and out different if it gets to high. I also stay the hell out of the three major cities.

If you see my GT listed online on the steam group, I'm more than likely playing or going to play DayZ, if you want to send me a message I'd be happy to join in for a game.

I think it's safe to assume the North in general is a "free-fire zone" anyway. At least, that's how I consider it, unless someone is very clearly friendly and/or I don't have anything valuable.

The entire game is a free fire zone.:lol: But your kind of right since anyone up there is probably armed in some fashion looking for good loot. Again I tend to avoid confrontation, so unless their clearly a bandit I tend to leave them be and just get the hell out of there.

The only time I didn't was when it wasn't a bandit. I was outside of Electro in cover in the forest on a hill and noticed a guy running around the fire station next to the power plant. He ran from there straight for my direction. He didn't see me until he was almost on top of me. When he finally noticed me he screamed "Oh god! Please don't kill me. Please don't kill me dude." over and over. Told him I wouldn't but to move along in a different direction and backed the hell out of there keeping him in my view.

#311 Strider21

Strider21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

If you see my GT listed online on the steam group, I'm more than likely playing or going to play DayZ, if you want to send me a message I'd be happy to join in for a game.

why don't you idle in the steam chat whenever you play dayz? it lets people know that you're open to playing with the group. playing solo and scavenging is no fun. its all about the confrontations.

I wish we can wiki the OP so we can put all the relevent info about the cag nights up.

#312 Rhett

Rhett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

why don't you idle in the steam chat whenever you play dayz? it lets people know that you're open to playing with the group. playing solo and scavenging is no fun. its all about the confrontations.

I wish we can wiki the OP so we can put all the relevent info about the cag nights up.

I'll start idling in the chat whenever I feel like playing, myself. I don't like playing alone.

Also, I suppose we could make a new thread and let this one die off? Since the OP isn't active anymore. Brentron's in one of those group-leader positions in the CAG group, too, and since he's active I think we'd be set to do so...

#313 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Built my computer last night and downloading Arma 2 CO right now, then gonna get the day z mod. I think my steam name is also MrshllJcb if someone could send me an invite to the CAG group. Thanks guys

#314 BrentronD

BrentronD

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

I might play some Day Z later today. I sent an invite to that name.

edit: I'll also try and make a new thread. But I dunno, should I do it? Or would someone else be more willing? *wink* *wink* Rhett *wink* *epiliptic spaz*

#315 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

So I got the mod working and I'm in the steam group but how do I know which server you guys are on?

#316 Rhett

Rhett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

I might play some Day Z later today. I sent an invite to that name.

edit: I'll also try and make a new thread. But I dunno, should I do it? Or would someone else be more willing? *wink* *wink* Rhett *wink* *epiliptic spaz*

Much like the OP, I have a tendency of starting a thread for a game and then abandoning it because I grew bored with it... I think I'm somewhat close to being bored with DayZ, even, so...

And @ MarshllJcb -- you have to ask whoever's playing, as you can't really tell otherwise.

#317 twiceborn

twiceborn

SAY WHAT?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Op has been wikied, have at it.

"When I die, I want to go just like my grandpa, peacefully and in my sleep,... not kicking and screaming like all of his passengers."

Joker "It seems he finally took the stick out of his a#*, but now he wants to beat people to death with it."

#318 toolfan

toolfan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:08 AM

why don't you idle in the steam chat whenever you play dayz? it lets people know that you're open to playing with the group.

I second this motion. I usually check if anyone is in chat, if not I just play something else. I think I'm done with DayZ as a single player experience, but still thoroughly enjoy the multiplayer aspect.

#319 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Ah man, everyone cant be done yet haha. I just got started on it (and died like 10 times yesterday) and think its pretty cool so far. I was playing in a server with only like 4 people so I never saw any bandits or anything, but the zombies are pretty relentless and without a weapon you're pretty screwed. Looking forward to spending some more time with it though, and will join the steam chat when I do play to try and join up with you guys

#320 Sporkis

Sporkis

Will Duel 4 Mead!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Ah man, everyone cant be done yet haha. I just got started on it (and died like 10 times yesterday) and think its pretty cool so far. I was playing in a server with only like 4 people so I never saw any bandits or anything, but the zombies are pretty relentless and without a weapon you're pretty screwed. Looking forward to spending some more time with it though, and will join the steam chat when I do play to try and join up with you guys

It does get easier once you get familiar with cities, loot spawn points, and how to loose zombies(remember they can't run indoors & dashing and darting between objects like trees). If you don't know already here's your new best friend,

http://www.dayzdb.com/map

Very handy to have starting out until you get more familiar with the map and where the good loot is. Other than that the best advice I can give you is,

1. The Hatchet is your friend, like gas it's silent but deadly. You just have to get use to the range of it where you can hit zombies but they can't hit you.

2. If your fresh spawning make a direct run like to the nearest supermarket. You can find food, water, maybe some valuable tools like the map(then you can use waypoints if the server allows it) or a pistol, and most importantly a better higher capacity backpack. After all if your fresh you got nothing to loose to bandits or zombies to except time.

3. Once you get a hatchet, hunting knife, matches, and canteen. You never need to step into a city again. With those you can now hunt & gut(hunting knife) animals, cut fire wood from a tree in the forest(hatchet), build and light a fireplace(matches) to cook the meat and refill the canteen for thirst with water from any body of water on the map besides the ocean. With those you can easily go around in the wilderness hitting up deer stands for good weapons and equipment without much chance of running into other players or snipers like at the airfields.

4. Get used to dying. Dying and loosing everything. Seriously, no one survives the zombie apocalypse indefinitely :lol:. If you let that fact get you down you won't be playing very long.

Join the group when you can cause you learn a lot more faster and get better by picking up on stuff others do like I did. While I still think I suck compared to some of the others on here, I know I would be a lot worse off if it wasn't for BrentronD and the others. That and the more we can get to play in a group game the better. It's a awesome feeling when you have a larger group of people in a party and the rest of the people on the server combined.:lol:

#321 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

SO the more I hear you guys talk about this, the more I want to play. But $30 for Arma II seems high when I don't really have any intention of playing that game...

#322 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

@Solidus (I didn't wanna quote it and take up a bunch of space) but thanks a ton for the advice. I definitely have the dying part down, and havent been bothered about it yet, but I also havent had anything of value.

I hadn't even considered the supermarket but after i get home from work I'm hopping right on to try out some of the things you mentioned. Again thanks a lot and hopefully I can play with you guys soon. I also have to make sure not to be reckless or anything as well. Last time I was playing I went from a sprint to prone into a tree or building and broke my neck I think, I laughed pretty hard but woulda been bummed if I had lost anything good

#323 Rhett

Rhett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:45 AM

SO the more I hear you guys talk about this, the more I want to play. But $30 for Arma II seems high when I don't really have any intention of playing that game...

ARMA is amazing though...

There are so many custom maps/campaigns and mods/addons for it...

There's one that lets you have an in-game version of the editor, too, so you can make whatever kind of scenarios you want. Or just let everyone buy whatever guns/vehicles/gear/aircraft they want and just screw around on any of the maps.

I think most people who haven't played it, see it as an overly complicated and potentially boring military sim. It can be, however, it isn't hard to pick up, and a lot of the more boring or anti-fun things about realism are toned down enough to be fun.

Also, A2:CO has been on sale for $20 at various places.. I, myself, got a copy via the steam trading thread. Well worth it! Or, if you don't have a great computer/don't mind slightly worse textures, you only have to buy Operation Arrowhead (the expansion - $20) to play DayZ. You do need Arma 2 Free (the Arma 2 demo on Steam), as well, though. Totally works.

#324 Rhett

Rhett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Keepin' it alive...

Played on an empty server for a while last night, just checking all the better loot spots and looking for tents. Found a fairly decently hidden tent with two ghillies and a suppressed M4 w/ 5 SD mags. I was ecstatic! First one I've seen. I kindly left my SVD camo (un-zeroable and the ammo is rare). :P

Y'all characters gon' be starvin'.

#325 Sporkis

Sporkis

Will Duel 4 Mead!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

Keepin' it alive...

Played on an empty server for a while last night, just checking all the better loot spots and looking for tents. Found a fairly decently hidden tent with two ghillies and a suppressed M4 w/ 5 SD mags. I was ecstatic! First one I've seen. I kindly left my SVD camo (un-zeroable and the ammo is rare). :P

Y'all characters gon' be starvin'.

Nice find! I'm still trying to find a ghillie. Whats funny is ever since I found a camo outfit I keep finding the suckers, but no ghillie. You also be surpised at the amount of STANAG SD Mags for that M4 you can find. Seems like every time I use up a mag I find another one.

I managed to killed two bandits yesterday in a game. Sniped one that was trying to snipe people in town and caught another unaware as he looted the corpse of his recent victim(I heard the struggle from one floor below) in a office building. Neither one had anything better than what I already had on them though. So I just hid the bodies and left :lol:

#326 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

Made it off the beach today. Found myself in an area with some hangars, and military tents/equipment. I found a m4104(?) Shotgun I think its called, then found some ammo for it. Also saw my first other human in the area, I didn't know if he was a bandit or not (how can u tell?) So I went prone and watched him get chased across the field by some zombies. I still don't get everything but I left myself in a small building with my weapon still, is there a way to switch between the hatchet and gun without dropping your gun? I did get a knife so that's cool, but I gotta find a better backpack cause I hate juggling this shit I find.

#327 Sporkis

Sporkis

Will Duel 4 Mead!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

Made it off the beach today. Found myself in an area with some hangars, and military tents/equipment. I found a m4104(?) Shotgun I think its called, then found some ammo for it. Also saw my first other human in the area, I didn't know if he was a bandit or not (how can u tell?) So I went prone and watched him get chased across the field by some zombies. I still don't get everything but I left myself in a small building with my weapon still, is there a way to switch between the hatchet and gun without dropping your gun? I did get a knife so that's cool, but I gotta find a better backpack cause I hate juggling this shit I find.

For Bandits look for the head scarf
http://www.dayzwiki....rvivors#Bandits

If you see a character with one, you know they've killed a few non bandit peoples since you don't loose humanity for killing a "official" bandit. To clarify they can not have a head scarf and still be a bandit, either they just recently died and are starting over or they have friends that they patched up/gave blood to to offset the humanity lost of killing someone.

As for the hatchet swap, you can put your main rifle in your pack if you want to use the hatchet. But I can not stress this enough make sure you have room for it. A rifle slot weapon takes 10 slots in a backpack if you don't have enough slots for it and try to put in there it will disappear. Also note that when you move either of your active guns, be it to your pack or dropping it, it will also automatically move all related ammo to said gun from your active inventory with it also. So say you have a AK-47 and three clips of ammo for it and try to put it in your pack but only have 11 slots, you'll end up loosing two ammo clips due to not having enough room. A easy way to make sure this doesn't happen is to move all the ammo first, then make sure you have 10 slots free to then put the gun in. After you can move just the ammo back to your active inventory if you want.

Just for the record if you want to use a flashlight you got to do the same thing except for your side arm gun since it requires the space to use it. Unless you find a G17 that has a built in flashlight.:D

#328 Rhett

Rhett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

Haha. Awesome.

I could probably write a 12-page report on how to play DayZ and all the specifics.. but for now...

Bandits (people who have killed 2+ players within a short amount of time at some point) have a shemagh over their head. All you can see is their eyes. Heroes have a shemagh (or something) around their neck, have a light colored hat, and light colored clothing. Usually heroes are approachable, but I've still only seen one or two. Bandits should always be considered hostile. Ghillie suits hide this, though. You lose humanity by injuring players. You gain it by healing/helping people. It will always return to 2500 if it goes below, but slowly.

You cannot switch freely between hatchet and gun. You can, however, if you find a bigger back pack, put your gun into your bag. It needs at least 10 open slots. Another few things to note when you do find a bag:

1: NEVER just 'Take' the backpack unless yours is completely empty! It will empty the pack you put on the ground!

2: ALWAYS empty your pack into the new pack (via 'Open XYZ Pack' option) before taking it.

3: If you happen to keep one gun in your backpack, and one in your hands, then ALWAYS move the gun out of your backpack to swap them. If you try to put anything into a backpack with less room than the item needs, it will dissolve!

#329 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:02 AM

Ok. I definitely saw a hero, but I tried to do the group chat to communicate but he didn't answer. Thanks for more pointers. Im gonna try to be back on tonight after class around 11:15 eastern time

#330 Rhett

Rhett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

Ok. I definitely saw a hero, but I tried to do the group chat to communicate but he didn't answer. Thanks for more pointers. Im gonna try to be back on tonight after class around 11:15 eastern time

I actually don't think group chat will work. You need to change it to Direct when trying to contact other people. (hit > or < to change channels -- those would also be the comma and period keys)