$15.99-19.99 Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel Edition

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 DukeMagnem

DukeMagnem

Dean of All True Men

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

If I'm correct, you don't get the option of streaming when using a free Prime account of any sort.

That sucks. Glad I didn't waste my free trial then, it'll be much better spent at Xmas.

#62 kramer0731

kramer0731

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

I loved DNF as well. But we are a different breed of gamer.

If you grew up playing the 90s pc shooters, like DN3D, you watched this game be made for 13-14 years.

The truth is if you knew what to expect from the game, you enjoyed it. Randy (gearbox) specifically bought this game so he could release it to the world. He even referred to it as a greasy hamburger... Thats because he just wanted the game to be released after all the years of changes, money lost etc etc. To me its more of a piece of gaming history. When you are playing it you realize that. And if you are a fan of Duke, you cant help but smile the whole time listening to his old school one liners.

Its a game that feels like 2002 but that was the point. And when you beat the game you unlock all those videos about the games history and development process. Makes you appreciate it even more.

So if you took DNF for what it was, a quick modern Duke romp and a piece of game history, then chances are you enjoyed it.

But to me I could have simply bought it for Multiplayer alone. I put over 50 hours into the Mplayer on Xbox 360. It played like an old school FPS with Dukematch. It was fantastic. Great maps and simply just awesome to play Duke with updated gun models and graphics. Even the most nostalgic Duke fans should have enjoyed that. I literally just stopped playing the Mplayer a couple months back after almost a whole years worth.

Put those singleplayer charm and the surprising multiplayer, it was my guilty pleasure game of the year.

The reality is Gearbox grabbed the game to release as a piece of history... and now that they own the Duke Nukem rights, then go nuts making a real, good, fleshed out Duke title.

Excellent assessment; well said. Seems like people are too often nit-picky about games today instead of sitting back and enjoying them sometimes. Thanks for posting this - didn't know the info about Gearbox etc. Good to know.
My guide trade list can be found here:

http://www.cheapassg...5&postcount=136

#63 Newl

Newl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'll wait until it drops in price a little more, i want those goodies.

Personally, I thought the game was crap, and yes I did play DN3D back in the day. I'm sure someone out there enjoys superman 64 as well.
pswii60 pwner - aka Too Many Games, Too Little Time
Posted Image

#64 apterous

apterous

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

The art book, statue, cards & dice alone might be worth it. I probably couldn't get a penny for the Steam code though.

Wait... "Mini-card deck"? it's not even a full-sized deck of cards?
Posted Image