Photo
- - - - -

Do you think "Borderlands 2 Ultimate Loot Chest" will rise in price after release?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#1 newonetime

newonetime

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

First off, I'm not sure if this is the right section for this or not, so why not...

Anyway, in your opinion, do you think this collection will rise in price, after the release? Some people seem to think that it's going to be truly limited, but I'm not sure if it will have the collectability of games such as Dead Space, which was a big hit. This is the second edition in the series, after all. It looks pretty nice, but I'm just not sure. The only way I'd buy a collector's edition would be to resell it. I don't personally care for all the stuff that comes with it. I loved Borderlands, and I will be playing the second game, whether I buy it alone, or in addition to the "Ultimate" edition.

Oh, and which place would be best to pre-order it from? I didn't notice if Gamestop was offering anything more, or different from Amazon. I didn't really look anywhere else.

#2 R3DH3R0

R3DH3R0

10 Years and Counting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

I doubt it honestly, most collector's editions have dropped dramatically in price and are still avaliable years after release.

Halo Reach Legendary Edition
Halo 3 Legendary Edition
Gears of War 3 Epic Edition
Skyrim Collector's Edition
Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel

Tons more, but those were $100 or more. The only CEs this gen I can think of that actually went up in value are Tales of Vesperia (Steelbook with soundtrack) and Zelda: Skyward Sword (with remote).

#3 opterasis

opterasis

Bullhonkery!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

I doubt it honestly, most collector's editions have dropped dramatically in price and are still avaliable years after release.

Halo Reach Legendary Edition
Halo 3 Legendary Edition
Gears of War 3 Epic Edition
Skyrim Collector's Edition
Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel

Tons more, but those were $100 or more. The only CEs this gen I can think of that actually went up in value are Tales of Vesperia (Steelbook with soundtrack) and Zelda: Skyward Sword (with remote).

Bioshock, Mass Effect 1 and Dead Space are all worth a decent amount these days.
My Bluray owned list

http://www.points2sh...p?ref=opterasis

What I've gotten free from points2shop *updated* 1/16/12!
Spoiler

#4 newonetime

newonetime

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Oh, and just wondering, does anyone know if the 360 version will come on more than one disk? I can't seem to find any information. I don't know whether to get it on Xbox or PS3.

#5 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Odds aren't in your favor that it will be rare or hard to find - but you can always take a gamble. I think it is usually with new IPs that most people don't know if it will be or not. Bioshock 1, Mass Effect, etc.

Also I love my Big Daddy statue from Bioshock 1.

But for reselling it could be tough. If you knew that Zelda was gonna be huge with the gold wiimote you could've made a fortune preordering up everywhere. Same thing with Diablo 2.

But, you don't wanna take a wash if things go sour. If you bought a bunch and then sold just at retail on ebay you would take a huge hit. Especially with sequels. Bioshock 2 L.E. (which was awesome) and Dead Space 2 all hit the clearance racks. As have Assassin's Creed and most of the others. It does seem like usually the safer bet are the niche Japanese games. I remember preordering I think it was 3 Disgaea 3's to get one of each of the limited edition goods. I then sold the others with everything aside from those to pay for mine.

#6 newonetime

newonetime

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

Odds aren't in your favor that it will be rare or hard to find - but you can always take a gamble. I think it is usually with new IPs that most people don't know if it will be or not. Bioshock 1, Mass Effect, etc.

Also I love my Big Daddy statue from Bioshock 1.

But for reselling it could be tough. If you knew that Zelda was gonna be huge with the gold wiimote you could've made a fortune preordering up everywhere. Same thing with Diablo 2.

But, you don't wanna take a wash if things go sour. If you bought a bunch and then sold just at retail on ebay you would take a huge hit. Especially with sequels. Bioshock 2 L.E. (which was awesome) and Dead Space 2 all hit the clearance racks. As have Assassin's Creed and most of the others. It does seem like usually the safer bet are the niche Japanese games. I remember preordering I think it was 3 Disgaea 3's to get one of each of the limited edition goods. I then sold the others with everything aside from those to pay for mine.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Although, I think might pre-order it at Gamestop and see how things play out. If it sells out two months before release, then that might be a good sign. Regardless, I'll have one locked, and I'll just wait for information to seep out, and if it doesn't sound good, I'll just cancel and get my money back.

You know, I wish I knew about that Dead Island Treasure Edition sooner. I bet that's worth a good amount now. I knew about the game for four years or so before release, then I got tired of waiting and stopped watching. Then after a while I saw the advertisement, looked for the best edition, and it was all sold out. Now that one I really wanted!

#7 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

Bioshock, Mass Effect 1 and Dead Space are all worth a decent amount these days.

All are first games in the series that were breakout hits. Unless Borderlands 2 is 1000x greater than the first, I can't see it being in the same category as the games you mentioned.

The case is really neat and I want one, but I don't really care about playing the game all that much. I still have Borderlands missions to do, all which feel like an incredible grind.

#8 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

I so want that Loot Chest, just can't justify spending the $150 for it.

#9 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

doubt itll be worth much. id buy it to keep. not to sell.

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#10 R3DH3R0

R3DH3R0

10 Years and Counting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

That's true, but those were also each the first for a breakout series, so I'm sure they didn't know how the product would sell. Dead Space 2 and Bioshock 2 SE are not worth much right now. Mass Effect 2/3 still are though.

#11 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

That's true, but those were also each the first for a breakout series, so I'm sure they didn't know how the product would sell. Dead Space 2 and Bioshock 2 SE are not worth much right now. Mass Effect 2/3 still are though.

ME3 CE is considered valuable? For 360? I see PS3 CEs everywhere.

#12 R3DH3R0

R3DH3R0

10 Years and Counting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

ME3 CE is considered valuable? For 360? I see PS3 CEs everywhere.

I wouldn't consider 3 valuable, but I haven't seen it lower than MSRP, and it's been out 2-3 months. Final Fantasy XIII-2 CE was $20-30 off after a month and a half.

#13 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

I would say no. Unless the print number is very low or these are exclusive to just a few retailers I find it very doubtful.

Combine that with the fact that this is the same publisher that released the "Balls of Steel Edition" for DNF and I thnk we'll seem the hang around in store long enough to hit at least one clearance cycle.

Lastly while Boderlands was a great game it's no Zelda, COD, Metal Gear Solid, etc. The price is too high and that CE is too niche to really make it extremely desireable.

I can't really think of many CE's released at $100+ that became worth a lot of money. It's typically the $79.99 and $99.99 CE's (with only one CE released, not tiered like Borderlands) that become rare and underproduced related to demand

#14 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

That's true, but those were also each the first for a breakout series,

What, is there an echo in here?

#15 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

in here?

. . .

Anyway, I'm thinking that I'm going to try and do the same thing that I did with the Skyrim Collector's Edition. Preorder the regular edition wherever has the best deal (I really want the bonus character class), then trade in my regular edition down the road and pick up the ULC edition at a discount.

#16 MasterSun1

MasterSun1

Already Guilty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

Bioshock
Dead Space
Diablo III
The Legend of Zelda Zelda: Skyward Sword
Mass Effect
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Tales of Vesperia

Those seem to be the only ones that are not still available to find easily for cheaper than initial MSRP.

Honestly, if you're looking to buy to resell for some profit, just buy some stocks.

#17 MasterSun1

MasterSun1

Already Guilty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

That said, I really want the loot chest and the stuff that comes with the $150 edition, but I'm gonna wait until the game is $40 before I bite.

#18 Rockinjs

Rockinjs

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:56 AM

I would be waiting on a price drop on this one but being I have alot of amazon cred and the chances of them dropping the price anytime soon after release is unlikely I went on and out a preorder in the one thing that would make this bundle irresistable is if they added a season pass for all the DLC they make for the game it is a good size collectors edition though comparing to uncharted 3 and max Payne I think this one is worth the money

#19 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Not For Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

Doubt it. There are very few shooters that even come close to maintaining a valuable CE. I don't really get the appeal of the loot chest either... couldn't they make it one of those little robots or something? Not a shoddy, generic looking box.

I'd put money that you'll find it for 60 bucks down the line.

#20 Rockinjs

Rockinjs

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

But is it worth waiting til it hit $60 is the question
Posted Image

#21 Porksta

Porksta

Sillier Mofo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

How big is the CE? If it is massive like Halo Reach or Oblivion, I see it dropping relatively quickly.
I am famous for getting CheapyD to watch Swollen Tip while he was broadcasting live.

#22 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

doubt itll be worth much. id buy it to keep. not to sell.

:applause:This is the only answer needed here. Most CE's of games aren't worth shit until either very far down the road and that's IF they become worth anything more than MSRP.

Why? It's because most of these 'limited editions' are overprinted out the ass and as such there's 10,000 of them still sitting on store shelves two years after release.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#23 Rockinjs

Rockinjs

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

Well as of now the ultimate loot bundle is sold out on amazon for both consoles will they get some more?who knows
Posted Image

#24 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

Well as of now the ultimate loot bundle is sold out on amazon for both consoles will they get some more?who knows

And BBY, and Gamestop.

#25 Rockinjs

Rockinjs

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

now lets hope they dont get a "second run" I already see one guy on amazon trying to preorder sell them for $275 now
Posted Image

#26 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

now lets hope they dont get a "second run" I already see one guy on amazon trying to preorder sell them for $275 now

We need a second run to screw over asshats like that trying to sell preorders 3.5 months in advance.

#27 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

We need a second run to screw over asshats like that trying to sell preorders 3.5 months in advance.

I already got my preorder in (I don't understand why everyone doesn't preorder on Amazon the second a listing goes live and then cancel closer to release date if they don't want it)

but if you didn't get one I wouldn't be too worried... I havent' even seen listings up at the other retailers yet and seeing how this is still like a 100 days from being released I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon gets it back in stock or if Newegg or Walmart put up listings closer to release date.

#28 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

I already got my preorder in (I don't understand why everyone doesn't preorder on Amazon the second a listing goes live and then cancel closer to release date if they don't want it)

but if you didn't get one I wouldn't be too worried... I havent' even seen listings up at the other retailers yet and seeing how this is still like a 100 days from being released I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon gets it back in stock or if Newegg or Walmart put up listings closer to release date.

I didn't preorder it because I've had other things to worry about in the last 10 days and was getting around to doing it today.

Which is when I found the "surprise" that it's gone OOS for being preordered everywhere without any idea of it being close to that timeframe.

When's the last time we've seen a pre-order disappear 10 days after being released/announced? Can't think of one off-hand at the moment, though I think it's been a while.

GS closing down pre-orders that quickly was a bigger surprise than Amazon.

#29 Rockinjs

Rockinjs

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

thinking maybe something changed with what was going to be included?? it is pretty odd all the retailers shut down preorders for it at the same time seems like makes me think they must have gotten some kind of letter from the publisher to take it down for some reason

#30 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

I didn't preorder it because I've had other things to worry about in the last 10 days and was getting around to doing it today.

Which is when I found the "surprise" that it's gone OOS for being preordered everywhere without any idea of it being close to that timeframe.

When's the last time we've seen a pre-order disappear 10 days after being released/announced? Can't think of one off-hand at the moment, though I think it's been a while.

GS closing down pre-orders that quickly was a bigger surprise than Amazon.

You're right. I'm surprised by that too... I'm also surprised that darksiders 2 CE has been OOS for so long as well.