[DEAD] Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy $29.99 Amazon

Yeah, I was waiting for this to happen. Couple this with the 5% Quick Picks discount and $28.49 for a(n) (expected-to-be-awesome) 3DS title on day one is a pretty sweet deal. :D

$0.99 release day shipping as well! I pre-ordered but I dunno if I'm going to follow through. I'll wait for some more hands-on/previews/reviews before I decide to cancel or not.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Is Square Enix trying to out-stupid itself with Final Fantasy titles?[/QUOTE]

Title makes perfect sense to me and it is one of three 3DS games that makes me wish I wanted a 3DS more.

Thanks for the heads up OP. Just preordered. If this is anything like Elite Beat Agents, then OH MY! :pray:

Thanks op. Been waiting for amazon to drop this. Ordered one. On a side note, is there a way to get something to pop in your quick picks?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Is Square Enix trying to out-stupid itself with Final Fantasy titles?[/QUOTE]

Nonsense, it's clearly a logical follow up to Dissidia.

Annnnnnnnd how many Final Fantasy fans out there have a sense of rhythm anyway?

Man I'd love to have that stylus, with the Shantotto sticker of course. But I probably shouldn't pre-order games for systems I don't own.

Awesome. I've been meaning to pre-order this, and it looks like it was a good idea to wait. Plus I still get the pre-order stylus. Thanks for informing us.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Nonsense, it's clearly a logical follow up to Dissidia.

Annnnnnnnd how many Final Fantasy fans out there have a sense of rhythm anyway?[/QUOTE]Uh...I do. EBA and Ouendan 2 are so freaking awesome.

@Vigilante: Agreed. I own both Ouendan games (& had EBA at one point) and Theatrhythm kind of reminds me of those games. I'm usually into JPN rhythm games, so I'm looking forward to this as well.

I still need to decide which sticker I should use for the stylus. Wonder if you can easily switch them out.

@suwillgetu: Cool, thanks for pointing that out. Only a $1 more to get it on release date is an excellent deal.

[quote name='Zonic505']@Vigilante: Agreed. I own both Ouendan games (& had EBA at one point) and Theatrhythm kind of reminds me of those games. I'm usually into JPN rhythm games, so I'm looking forward to this as well.

I still need to decide which sticker I should use for the stylus. Wonder if you can easily switch them out.

@suwillgetu: Cool, thanks for pointing that out. Only a $1 more to get it on release date is an excellent deal.[/QUOTE]

Same with me. I love the Inis ds games like EBA and Ouendan, but is this game purely a rhythm game like those 2 games?

Im just wondering if I need to know any final fantasy background to play this as I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but I love a good rhythm game.

done and done.

now make Kingdom Hearts 3D $29.99, Amazon.

125460169164.png

DO IT.

[quote name='Magicman103']Im just wondering if I need to know any final fantasy background to play this as I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but I love a good rhythm game.[/QUOTE]

Knowledge of the series won't affect the gameplay at all, but the more you know about Final Fantasy, the more you'll get out of all the references, songs, characters, etc.

I wish they would PM Heroes of Ruin too. It's been $29.99 at Toysrus just as long. Everyone get on the bandwagon and report the lower price so they will PM it.

As much as I love Final Fantasy and music/rhythm games, I won't be buying this. You know why? Because it is ridiculous. And these cutesy Crystal Chronicles characters need to be dropped.

I don't care what you guys do, but I'm personally boycotting Square-Enix until they make something that's actually good. They both used to make amazing games, then they merged and got too big for their own good. Now they make random shit, like Pony Friends 2, Space Invaders 47, and MindJack. Oh dear god, MindJack...

Make one good FF/DQ game instead of wasting "talent" and resources on a bunch of random shit, Squeenix. Crystal Defenders, The After Years, My Life As A Dark Lord, Crystal Bearers, XIII-2...stamping "Final Fantasy" on something doesn't make it better. It only tricks your fans into buying it because they think it might be good, and I refuse to fall for that.

Wow. I just watched a gameplay video... what the hell? fuckin' graphics look like they were drawn with basic flash brushes. I get that it wants to look cutsey, but my god, give it some charm and effort. I could animate that shit. Get inspired like Kirby's Epic Yarn instead of using tweening. TWEENING!

I mean, I get wanting to pay homage to a series with some of the best music in video-gaming history... but do it right! Release a 6 disc soundtrack with a nice box or something! Don't create this monstrosity.

Why can't we just get a good ol' fashioned Final Fantasy game these days? Final Fantasy IX was the pinnacle of the series... all we've gotten since that is goofy sci-fi, retarded characters and plot and half-assed spin-offs.

I want my black mages, white mages, summoners, dragoons, warriors, monks and paladins.

fuck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Me this morning:

"Hmm, you know what, I haven't heard anything about Theatrhythm going down on Amazon. I guess they never pricematched TRU. I don't want to pay $40, so I should cancel. Oh, I'll go to CAG first."

Sees this thread.

I'm happy. My preorder hasn't updated the price, but I'm not worried. With an extra 5% off plus an adorable sticker sheet for a stylus, I'm keeping my preorder. Now somebody, do a deal on the Mark of Mastery edition for KH3D PLEEEEEEAAAASE.

[quote name='Blade']As much as I love Final Fantasy and music/rhythm games, I won't be buying this. You know why? Because it is ridiculous. And these cutesy Crystal Chronicles characters need to be dropped.[/QUOTE]

Its funny you say that, cause that's the knee-jerk reaction a lot of fans had after seeing the character art for this game. But a lot of those fans ate their words when the game came out in Japan. I've heard nothing but good things from people who've played this game and the music in the series is outstanding. Not saying that it will be your cup of tea, but as a lifelong fan of Squaresoft/Square-Enix since FF1, I've loved the music in this series and there's no way for me to not buy this game. Reviews in Japan are gushing about it.

Yeah, Square-Enix has fallen far from grace, but this is a step in the right direction. My opinion.

[quote name='Blade']As much as I love Final Fantasy and music/rhythm games, I won't be buying this. You know why? Because it is ridiculous. And these cutesy Crystal Chronicles characters need to be dropped.

I don't care what you guys do, but I'm personally boycotting Square-Enix until they make something that's actually good. They both used to make amazing games, then they merged and got too big for their own good. Now they make random shit, like Pony Friends 2, Space Invaders 47, and MindJack. Oh dear god, MindJack...

Make one good FF/DQ game instead of wasting "talent" and resources on a bunch of random shit, Squeenix. Crystal Defenders, The After Years, My Life As A Dark Lord, Crystal Bearers, XIII-2...stamping "Final Fantasy" on something doesn't make it better. It only tricks your fans into buying it because they think it might be good, and I refuse to fall for that.[/QUOTE]
So your boycotting SE until they make something good?
You're in luck, by all accounts, this game is excellent.

this should of been a ds game for 19.99 nowhere is it worth 3ds for 40

looking online if your looking at a basic runthough of story its like 10 hours to beat... maybe up to 50 to unlock everything but that is replaying it over and over and over....

I ordered it but may cancel and just rent it of gamefly

after having 300 Ps2 games 200 Ds games and 150 PSP games (not going past the ps2 stage)

I swear with the new systems i own i I WILL NOT BUY GAMES since i dont want to start adding to more stuff i will never play once i beat it . Hell already up to 7 vita games and i swore that i wouldnt buy vita games LOL

[quote name='Blade']Now they make random shit, like Pony Friends 2, Space Invaders 47, and MindJack.[/QUOTE]

Space Invaders is Taito you dirty plebian. Also, The After Years IS good.

[quote name='AugustAPC']
Why can't we just get a good ol' fashioned Final Fantasy game these days? Final Fantasy IX was the pinnacle of the series... all we've gotten since that is goofy sci-fi, retarded characters and plot and half-assed spin-offs. [/QUOTE]

You're playing the wrong RPG series. If you are afraid of change and want to play the same game over and over 9 times, try this JRPG series out instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest They specifically design the games to cater to your type.

Final Fantasy has always been about changing things up and evolving the genre. The problem is 75% of the fanbase still isn't aware of this and complains every time a new game with the name Final Fantasy in the title comes out, despite it being a great game.

[quote name='AugustAPC']
I want my black mages, white mages, summoners, dragoons, warriors, monks and paladins.
[/QUOTE]

They never left. They just now wear different costumes and are called Ravager, Commando, Sentinel, Synergist, Medic, etc. Or hell, if you still feel that a dragoon isn't a dragoon unless you're wearing purple armor and using a polearm, go try Final Fantasy XI or XIV.

[quote name='Blade']
I don't care what you guys do, but I'm personally boycotting Square-Enix until they make something that's actually good.[/QUOTE]

You must have missed NIER, Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, FF: 4 Heroes of Light, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Rocket Slime, etc.

[quote name='Blade']They both used to make amazing games, then they merged and got too big for their own good. Now they make random shit Space Invaders 47[/QUOTE]

Space Invaders Extreme 2 for the DS is a GREAT game. Stop being so close-minded and give it a try.

[quote name='Blade']
stamping "Final Fantasy" on something doesn't make it better. It only tricks your fans into buying it because they think it might be good, and I refuse to fall for that.[/QUOTE]

It seems to be more that stamping Final Fantasy on something automatically makes "fans" who can't let go think it will be the exact same game as Final Fantasy I-V. Again, go play the Dragon Quest series if you are afraid of change and want to play the same game over and over.

Ouendan/EBA is my favorite handheld series ever, but this really looks simple by comparison. The mechanics of EBA were superior.

Still waiting for reviews, because I love everything else about the game.

[quote name='slidecage']this should of been a ds game for 19.99 nowhere is it worth 3ds for 40[/QUOTE]

It's 2012. Deal with it.

As a man who grew up listening to the different Final Fantasy soundtracks religiously and a gamer who loves his rhythm games (Ouendan in particular~), this felt like a no-brainer purchase to me. Checking online, this game also looks to have some excellent selection of songs throughout the series.

Much thanks Op! Preordered. :D

I had forgotten that this was a $40 3DS game. All this time, I kept seeing it, assuming it was a $5 iOS game. (Oh wait, even Square's iOS games are $15, silly me.)

By the way, there are 50+ songs in the core game. There's no way that this could've been a cheap iOS game. I bought the Piano Opera soundtrack with 12 tracks on it for $10, so this game is worth it to me.. :p

bread's done
Back