XBLA: Double Dragon: Neon - 800 Points - Out now. Free soundtrack!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
[youtube]KNeu1VHR2eQ[/youtube]

Double Dragon: Neon is a reimagining of the original Double Dragon game, complete with lots of new levels, enemies, and features. It sports some great co-op elements like high-fiving the other player for buffs and the ability to revive the other player by rewinding his 'cassette.' This Double Dragon is a love-letter to the 80's with a sense of humor and silliness thrown in for good measure. I played it at E3 and really enjoyed it.

Get the soundtrack for free at doubledragonneon.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
When seeing the boss fight it sort of reminded me of Donkey Kong Country.

I'll likely pass. I still have the original on my 360 hard drive and it never gets much play.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is it a new game, or a reskin of the original? I'm not likely to buy it either way, but I'm curious about it.[/QUOTE]

Well a "reskin" would imply it plays identically to the original, and that definitely isn't the case here. It looks like a remake that kind of adheres to the original, although not as much as something like TMNT Re-Shelled did (which redid all the visuals and made very slight alterations to gameplay but layout-wise was the same as the original).

[quote name='100xp']it looks both great and horrible.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you other than the "great" part. Looks like a Dreamcast-era game.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Well a "reskin" would imply it plays identically to the original, and that definitely isn't the case here. It looks like a remake that kind of adheres to the original, although not as much as something like TMNT Re-Shelled did (which redid all the visuals and made very slight alterations to gameplay but layout-wise was the same as the original).

I agree with you other than the "great" part. Looks like a Dreamcast-era game.[/QUOTE]

The looks great part was mainly due to the bounce physics...2 things i didn't like at all were the health/energy meter design and how the 3-D graphics don't match the 2-D graffitti in the background.

[quote name='KaneRobot']
I agree with you other than the "great" part. Looks like a Dreamcast-era game.[/QUOTE]

Let's check out a Dreamcast-era beat-em-up, shall we?

[youtube]ci0-evGe070[/youtube]

Hyperbole, my greatest enemy! ;)

Looks like it could be all right. I'm interested enough that I'll pay attention to what kind of word-of-mouth it gets when it comes out. If I'm hearing good things, and if it's not more than 800 points, I'll probably jump in.

Here's me and a friend playing Neon at E3:

[youtube]nu8R4GNcZTw[/youtube]

And the promised interview with the game's producer. Question inspired by Joe (but surely not answered to his satisfaction)!

[youtube]WV7txEL13PY[/youtube]

And here's an article about my favorite E3 XBLA games, including Neon and others. Please visit and leave a comment as that helps us look good to the developers, etc.

Kind of reminds me of TMNT Re-Shelled, and that sucked. It would look more fun if they moved faster, they walk too slow. Not interested, i already have the old DD on xbox.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Kind of reminds me of TMNT Re-Shelled, and that sucked. It would look more fun if they moved faster, they walk too slow. Not interested, i already have the old DD on xbox.[/QUOTE]

They certainly don't move any slower than the original Double Dragon, or most beat-em-ups. It's also nothing like Re-Shelled since this is a total re-imagining rather than a remake of a classic game with worse controls/combat.

Doesn't look as bad as I initially thought. Still, even for 800 points I don't know about this one yet. Just a generic beat em' up, not that there's anything wrong with that but I have 4 or 5 of them already.

[quote name='Rodimus']What's this Atlus style you speak of?[/QUOTE]

Double Dragon Advance. I think million made it but Atlus published it. That game is the fucking shit and just about the perfect beat em up.

I never played the DD Advance game. Looks good.

I always thought beat em' ups could benefit from a game to kick the genre into a new level. Still waiting

I'm looking forward to this. I'll probably wait on a sale as I l did for x-Men and Simpsons Arcade. But for a re-imagined Double D. I am happy someone made it. The Youtube interview was appreciated. I really hope it's good. Let's go back to the 80's!

I'm looking forward to this. I'll probably wait on a sale as I l did for x-Men and Simpsons Arcade. But for a re-imagined Double D? I am happy someone made it. Thanks for the Youtube gameplay and interview as it made brought more excitement my way. I really hope it's good. Let's go back to the 80's!

Seems ok but this is definitely a 5 dollar game. This is one you'll never touch again once you finish it. Fighting system is a bit deeper than the original games. GREAT music.

Still looks and feels like a Dreamcast game...Dynamite Cop-py. Some humor you'll hate yourself for laughing at for being so corny. Demo is decent length so you'll definitely know if you want more of the same after you're through with it. For now the demo is plenty for me. See you in December when it's on sale.

...of course, if XBox Live didn't suck compared to PSN+ these days, the price wouldn't matter, since PSN+ members are getting this one for free.

HUGE DD1 and DD2 fan here. WOW. This does not look attractive to me in the least. Going to have to check out the trial before I make a decision but fairly certain this is going to have to hit 400 points or lower... for me to purchase.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Double Dragon Advance. I think million made it but Atlus published it. That game is the fucking shit and just about the perfect beat em up.[/QUOTE]

This game is pretty bad but I still had fun with it, of the 2 levels I played last night. It could also be that I got it for free with PSN Plus. It is still makes you wonder though why something like this would come out when Double Dragon Advance destroyed this game on every level. That game is a gem. I would love an HD port of that!

[quote name='eastx']Guys, if you don't like the game, try to explain why with your words. [/QUOTE]

The game is bad because it takes 80's style over the core gameplay. It adds some unique moves and flair but the animations and the controls don't seem to match. There is a new duck to counter and you get double the damage upon doing it successfully but that feels like your getting lucky rather than you using your well timed skills. Movement in general feels wonky and the hit detection isn't always spot on like you expect from a game like this.

It's kind of a shame because if it was more polished I could see it worthy of some high scores. Right now it feels like the nostalgia, quirkiness, and fun are blinding some people. It is entertaining but...For any of us that have played DD Advance it's hard to call this game good.

I'm on PS + so I got it for free, but I want to play with a buddy of mine online. I'll wait till the online patch then I'll play.

[quote name='eastx']All the major review sites besides IGN are loving it though.[/QUOTE]

You could say Joystiq loved it.

Gamespot gave it a 7/10. Polygon gave it a 6.5/10. Harcore Gamer gave it a 3.5/5. IGN gave it a 3/10. Not overly negative reviews outside of the last one but hardly "loving it."

Could have sworn someone said something about hyperbole earlier in this very thread...

EGM gave it 9/10, Game Informer an 8.5, Joystiq 4.5/5, and I already pointed out that IGN hated it. As for IGN, the reviewer clearly hates beat-em-ups and says so repeatedly. It's ridiculous that he was assigned the review, just like if I had to review a sports game when I don't enjoy them.

Who is Hardcore Gamer?

Hadn't considered Polygon as I've like, never read one review there. But they are still pretty new (and throw a mean party).

[quote name='eastx']EGM gave it 9/10, Game Informer an 8.5, Joystiq 4.5/5, and I already pointed out that IGN hated it. As for IGN, the reviewer clearly hates beat-em-ups and says so repeatedly. It's ridiculous that he was assigned the review, just like if I had to review a sports game when I don't enjoy them.

Who is Hardcore Gamer?

Hadn't considered Polygon as I've like, never read one review there. But they are still pretty new (and throw a mean party).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, fine. If every remaining site came out with a middling or negative review of the game, I'm sure you'd have an excuse or answer for why those are invalid, too. Not sure why you are so in love with this game, but more power to you. It's not like I don't have my mediocre favorites as well.

I just listed three sites that don't think it's mediocre at all. Not every site will love it though, as you've pointed out.

But if you read the IGN review and actually agreed with his viewpoint, then clearly you don't care about the genre either. So why bother discussing the game if 'beat-em-ups suck' is the extent of your feelings on this type of game?

As for why I am so crazy about the game, it's long been my favorite arcade game series (I own a DDII cabinet) and I'm very pleased with what they've done with Neon. It's my kind of game. ~ ~ That doesn't mean I won't have criticisms though - my review is coming up next week.

I don't know where thinking the game is mediocre equals "agreeing with the IGN review," or what it has to do with any reviews at all. I played it, there isn't much need to read a bunch of reviews. I was responding to the "sites are all loving it" thing, which is unrelated to how I feel about it.

Frankly, I'm far more interested in the opinions of people I interact with here and on other forums than some no-name random EGM reviews guy (or whatever) where I have no idea of what his agenda is.

Imma download the fuck out of that soundtrack, though.

The game makes my eyes bleed and my anoose prolapse. Seriously, it looks like the fight is taking place on the moon. Why is it so slow? Why do they have to use such racially stereotypical black dudes?

Double Dragon Neon is like when I go to a dumpy restaurant. You get bad service and uncleaned utensils. Waitress is a bitch and the atmosphere is, "Dolphins suck and I'm disgruntled" But you get the wings. Not to shabby, I'll stick around and watch some more. DOLPHINS LOSE. Still fun

[quote name='eastx']I just listed three sites that don't think it's mediocre at all. Not every site will love it though, as you've pointed out.

But if you read the IGN review and actually agreed with his viewpoint, then clearly you don't care about the genre either. So why bother discussing the game if 'beat-em-ups suck' is the extent of your feelings on this type of game?

As for why I am so crazy about the game, it's long been my favorite arcade game series (I own a DDII cabinet) and I'm very pleased with what they've done with Neon. It's my kind of game. ~ ~ That doesn't mean I won't have criticisms though - my review is coming up next week.[/QUOTE]

A little off topic, but directed towards you, not meant to offend, just a decidedly bystander take on some of your posts.

The way I see it is you "champion" a lot of games that aren't really as good as they could be (or that you believe them to be) only because it's some niche genre you really like. And I'm not taking that away from you, I commend your enthusiasm over some of these lost souls and giving them the chance or more exposure they might have not gotten otherwise.

I read many a post of yours in the 360 XBL topic and scratch my head in wonder over some of the games you recommend.

One such game you championed and reviewed in recent times was Dungeon Fighter Online, and you couldn't say enough about how great it was, I looked at my time with it, as what the hell was he talking about this game is crap, slow, clunky, boring, no where even on the same level as Guardian Heroes or other genre fare (which is what I would have recommended in your position).

I'm not going to nitpick, as this is not a personal attack, but as the KaneRobot pointed out why does disagreeing with your (very vocal) opinion on the game have to do with anything. (reminders of peoples comments of Dust An Elysian Tale, float into memory at this time)

Double Dragon has been done to death as far as I'm concerned, and very little has been done to improve on the beat'em up genre in years. As far as I'm concerned Guardian Heroes did the fantasy beat'em how it should be done, Streets of Rage is how to incorporate an awesome techno soundtrack with good, but repetitive gameplay that quit evolving after the second title and the Punisher arcade game was the pinnacle of variation and how a beat'em up game should be with many new ways to kill bad guys, fast paced action with weapons all over the place and no holds barred violence with a little story thrown in for good measure, and sadly since then we've gotten rehash after rehash, while it's nice to visit some of these old haunts every now and again.

I have yet to see anything take the genre in new and exciting ways as those games from the 90's did, even Treasure couldn't do it with their attempt (Guardian Heroes Adv.) while I'd like to see something new and refreshing come out of the genre that would mean 2D sidescrollers would have to have a rebirth and golden age, and sadly the chances of that are slim to none.

So keep on preaching to those who'll listen, just remember that you're not going to win everyone over no matter how much you try and not everyone is going to love OneeChanBara as much as you do. ;)

I thought it was ok, it still amazes me to this day that no-one can make a scrolling fighter as good as Streets of Rage 2.

I'll probably buy it at 400 points.

[quote name='uncle5555']A little off topic, but directed towards you, not meant to offend, just a decidedly bystander take on some of your posts.

The way I see it is you "champion" a lot of games that aren't really as good as they could be (or that you believe them to be) only because it's some niche genre you really like. And I'm not taking that away from you, I commend your enthusiasm over some of these lost souls and giving them the chance or more exposure they might have not gotten otherwise.

I read many a post of yours in the 360 XBL topic and scratch my head in wonder over some of the games you recommend.

One such game you championed and reviewed in recent times was Dungeon Fighter Online, and you couldn't say enough about how great it was, I looked at my time with it, as what the hell was he talking about this game is crap, slow, clunky, boring, no where even on the same level as Guardian Heroes or other genre fare (which is what I would have recommended in your position).

I'm not going to nitpick, as this is not a personal attack, but as the KaneRobot pointed out why does disagreeing with your (very vocal) opinion on the game have to do with anything. (reminders of peoples comments of Dust An Elysian Tale, float into memory at this time)

Double Dragon has been done to death as far as I'm concerned, and very little has been done to improve on the beat'em up genre in years. As far as I'm concerned Guardian Heroes did the fantasy beat'em how it should be done, Streets of Rage is how to incorporate an awesome techno soundtrack with good, but repetitive gameplay that quit evolving after the second title and the Punisher arcade game was the pinnacle of variation and how a beat'em up game should be with many new ways to kill bad guys, fast paced action with weapons all over the place and no holds barred violence with a little story thrown in for good measure, and sadly since then we've gotten rehash after rehash, while it's nice to visit some of these old haunts every now and again.

I have yet to see anything take the genre in new and exciting ways as those games from the 90's did, even Treasure couldn't do it with their attempt (Guardian Heroes Adv.) while I'd like to see something new and refreshing come out of the genre that would mean 2D sidescrollers would have to have a rebirth and golden age, and sadly the chances of that are slim to none.

So keep on preaching to those who'll listen, just remember that you're not going to win everyone over no matter how much you try and not everyone is going to love OneeChanBara as much as you do. ;)[/QUOTE]

It's always nice to be recognized and remembered. But you level some strange assertions, sir!

Yes, I come here to promote and discuss games that I'm excited about. Many people also do the same. I don't think of any game I like as something that everyone will enjoy though, especially if it's something I haven't played and may not actually end up liking myself. I do expect (or prefer) people to approach games with an open mind and learn about them before making a judgment. Writing a game off for its art style is shallow IMO, so I do speak up against it.
  • I do not love most games that I discuss here unequivocally. While I enjoyed Dungeon Fighter LIVE and gave it a positive review, I also levied a ton of criticisms against it, like any good critic would. Never have I berated someone for not loving it.
  • I also like (not love) the Onechanbara games, and similarly I've never painted them as games that absolutely everyone should own. They're a true niche product.
  • Another game I was excited about beforehand, Kung Fu Strike, I ended up hating, BTW. You can't completely predict how the final product will turn out.
I think you're admitting that you don't really care about the beat-em-up genre that much, as apparently the ones you like are all from your younger years. A nostalgic view of a genre or a kind of game (Sonic anyone?) is better than no positive view at all, but only liking the old stuff and finding it impossible to enjoy the new stuff is not a perspective I can appreciate. Me, I love the genres I loved growing up (in addition to new ones) and I'm always excited to see them grow with new games. Then again, there's nothing wrong with disliking a particular kind of game. It's when you enter the discussion that others have the right to react to that attitude.

So far I'm finding Double Dragon: Neon to be an excellent update/reimagining of the classic series. I already knew I enjoyed the gameplay having played it months ago at E3. Learning more about the unlock structure, the ability to repeat missions and grind for abilities, etc. has only made me love it more. Right now I'm not liking the difficulty curve for single-player and I fear people who don't play with a partner will struggle with it (as the IGN 'reviewer' did). All of that will come out in my fair and balanced review, written from the perspective of someone who loves Double Dragon.

Neon does advance the genre and try new things, BTW. The co-op abilities to buff each other and share life are terrific. Your character calling out jokey insults to the other guy when he wants to go through a door is delightful. Throw a hair pick at Skullmageddon and listen for his clever response. Tons of great little details show the thought and love Wayforward has for Double Dragon and brawlers.

As for the ducking and countering ability that Jkam mentioned, it works great if you pay attention to enemy movements. It makes a significant difference against certain enemies like Skullmageddon, so it's a good idea to really learn it instead of writing it off.

[quote name='benjamouth']I thought it was ok, it still amazes me to this day that no-one can make a scrolling fighter as good as Streets of Rage 2.[/QUOTE]

Streets of Rage 2 is a great classic beat em' up, but there's a ton of games in genre that are better.

[quote name='uncle5555']I have yet to see anything take the genre in new and exciting ways as those games from the 90's did, even Treasure couldn't do it with their attempt (Guardian Heroes Adv.) while I'd like to see something new and refreshing come out of the genre that would mean 2D sidescrollers would have to have a rebirth and golden age, and sadly the chances of that are slim to none.
[/QUOTE]

This statement is nuts. Viewtiful Joe, Castle Crashers, The Dishwasher, Shank 1/2, etc are great 2D action games. That and right now we are living in a 2D rebirth and golden age among various 2D genres. Fez, Rayman Origins, Limbo, Splosion Man, Spelunky, Mark of the Ninja, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story, Boy and His Blob, Donkey Kong Returns, and so on.

Personally I love 2D beat em ups, Double Dragon, and WayForward, but I dislike the art and animation of Neon from every video I've seen of it and plan on skipping the title. No online co-op at release seems really shortsighted as well. Writing it off because of the art style might be shallow, but frankly I already have a backlog of games, and there are others with art styles that I do not find grating to play.

[quote name='dirtyvu']Rodimus, you were the reason that Prime died!!!! :p[/QUOTE]

Naw, it was heart disease

ginger_optimus-prime-old-fat-guy.jpg

bread's done
Back