Gears Of War: Judgment - Lost Relics DLC out now VIP - 6/25 for Non VIP

• Please log in to reply
1082 replies to this topic

#91 hustletron

hustletron

poop dollar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

I will not be buying, I was always about competitive MP and horde was just an extra I didn't really play too much, this seems like they are focusing on another horde mode.

fs_overall.png

#92 knightsmith

knightsmith

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

if it's gears I will buy! can't give up on epic. I do hope that we can change the controller layout back to the GOW 123.

#93 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

looks like People Can Fly's Gears of War: Judgment is going to be different (a la Infinity Ward vs Treyarch). I'm not sure how I'll like the changes...

http://arstechnica.c...l-gears-of-war/

People Can Fly has also revamped the control scheme in Judgment to reflect the game's faster, more lethal nature. Weapons can now be swapped with a single button tap, or a press-and-hold move to switch to pistols. "We had three [Gears] games using a certain control scheme and it seemed to be working pretty well, considering the sales," said Chmielarz, "but once we put [the new control scheme] in the game and experimented with it, it took us like five minutes to realize this was the way to go."

Multiplayer is also seeing a bit of an overhaul in Judgment through a new team-based multiplayer mode called Overrun, which pits human COG players protecting a generator against Locust players trying to destroy it. Overrun is Gears' first class-based multiplayer mode, featuring new character types, each with its own unique weapon sets and abilities: medics that can heal companions, engineers that can put down protective turrets, and so on. While COG players work to repair and maintain pre-placed barbed wire fortifications around the generator, Locust players will earn points through damage, unlocking the use of familiar Locust creatures including Tickers, Wretches, Grenadiers, the Kantus, Bloodmounts, Corpsers, Serapedes, and Maulers during the match.

"The beautiful thing about Overrun is the synergy effect of combining the classes," Chmielarz noted. "We have the Ticker and the Ticker has this ability to eat a grenade. Somebody from COG throws a grenade, the Ticker quickly eats it, the team is saved, but then when [the Ticker] explodes, obviously that explosion is so much more powerful. So I was playing against our guys at [People Can Fly] and I saw the strategy of the opposite team was that they started with a Grenadier throwing their own grenade, had the Ticker eat it, had the Grenadier kick the Ticker in the butt so it actually goes over the fortifications…and then you have this rocket charging towards your generator with a grenade in its belly."

Judgment's story, setting, and presentation mess with the established Gears formula as well. The game tells the story of Baird, fellow franchise star Augustus Cole, and the rest of Kilo Squad fifteen years before the first Gears of War. Kilo Squad is on trial for treason and various other court-martial offenses, and each level of Judgment follows Baird's testimony during the trial.

This overarching story has a direct effect on the way gameplay will evolve through multiple playthroughs. Playing through a level once will give players the "classified" version that Baird first recounts in court. After that, players will have access to an unclassified version, which better reflects Baird's unvarnished recollection of the battle. Chmielarz said the "unclassified" playthrough will add crucial narrative details, different enemy types, and additional challenges like weapon set limitations or time limits. For example, Baird's "classified" recollection may have neglected to include the fact that a mech had been available to Kilo Squad during an engagement, but the mech will be there in the second, "unclassified" playthrough.

Chmielarz said that Judgment will feature more Locust simultaneously on screen than in any previous Gears game. Their behavior will be determined in part by the smart spawn system (S3), a new AI setup that analyzes player performance and location and uses that information to decide where enemies will spawn and what tactics they'll use. Thanks to S3, the developers said that players won't be able to learn and exploit patterns in the levels and that no two playthroughs of a level will be the same.

The major change Chmielarz has brought to the Gears franchise is upping the ante on the challenge level. "The big idea behind the campaign was that we want people to fear the Locust again, like the first time you played Gears," Chmielarz told Ars Technica. "This game is all about challenge... we believe that the fun comes from being challenged and overcoming that challenge."

#94 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

changes in judgment sound good. no stopping power, and old school hammerburst FTW! No more kids with rapid fire modded controllers ruining the game!

Gameplay Changes

Now that we’ve covered all of the classes and abilities in OverRun, we are going to discuss something that everyone wants to know about the new multiplayer, how the gameplay has changed. Before we go into these changes, please be aware that OverRun and Judgment are not complete or finalized and that everything is subject to change at any point in time. We’ve mentioned several small changes, like changes in respawn times, weapons, etc, but we are going to post everything that we know that was in Gears of War 3 that isn’t as of right now in Gears of War Judgment. So here is the list of changes to the gameplay for Judgment!

• First Person Control Scheme: Epic and People Can Fly removed the clunky D-Pad for weapons swaps for several good reasons. In the campaign with the large amount of Locust on the screen, you need to change you weapons quickly and decisively. The D-Pad didn’t always register a user pulling our their pistol, and pulled out a smoke grenade instead. The new controller scheme allows for quick weapon swaps and trust us it works fantastically. It allows for faster gameplay and for your weapons to be changed out almost instantly.
  • Left Bumper (LB) For Grenades: This change is also to streamline the gameplay, gamers will no longer be forced to use an animation to stand up and pitch grenades. They can be thrown out quickly from cover, and if you hold down the LB you can aim the arc without exposing yourself to the enemy.
  • Stopping Power is Removed: We can confirm that stopping power was not in OverRun. The Lancer Assault did not slow down your opponents when they were rushing towards you. That is all we can say about this for right now.
  • Hammerburst Must Be Burst-Fired: We mentioned this in the portion about the Kantus. The Hammerburst can no longer be used like the Gears of War 2 or 3 Versions, where you could use rapid-fire controllers or fan the trigger normally. If you single fire the weapon, your shot will be accurate and without a kick, but if you shoot it quickly, aka fanning the trigger, it will recoil ridiculously high on the fourth shot. This weapon will require a lot more skill in Judgment.
  • Soldier Class Will Not Have Boomshot By Default In OverRun: As we mentioned above, Boomshot is overpowered and will be swapped out for an unannounced weapon before the release.
  • Longshot Now Hold 4 Rounds Per Clip: Epic has increased the round count to make the Longshot a more effective weapon for OverRun.
  • Control Sensitivity: Judgment as of right now has the same sensitivity settings as Gears of War 3, though this could be subject to change in the future. Our staff wasn’t aware we could change the settings, so we all played under default.
  • Frag Tags: Though we attempted to tag grenades during our session of OverRun, with the new control scheme we aren’t sure if they are going to be a part of OverRun. This is subject to more confirmation and change in the future.

http://www.gearscon....nt-full-review/

TwitterIcon2.png the7thnumber.png

#95 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

^ I was watching a GOW 3 stream and someone kept crying about mods and hammerbursts and I didn't get what he was talking about. Now I does.

#96 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Those changes sound okay. As long as they keep reload off the fuckin' X button.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#97 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

CliffyB admitted If I could go back in time I would remove the sawed-off shotgun. Yes, I’m willing to admit when I’m wrong.

Hopefully that means there wont be a SOS in Judgment MP. This game sounds like it could be going in the right direction. No SOS, removed stopping power. Still need to remove/adjust Retro, remove mantle kick, and fix inks.

#98 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

CliffyB admitted If I could go back in time I would remove the sawed-off shotgun. Yes, I’m willing to admit when I’m wrong.

It must be awful chilly in Hell right now.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#99 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:03 AM

Booo!

Any word on the retro yet?

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#100 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

Maybe judgment's MP will be the same as GOW 3 without SOS. :)

#101 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

I can live without the SOS, but I'm going to be pissed if the retro doesn't come back. :bomb:

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#102 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:39 AM

If grenades are used by hitting the LB button, how do you grenade tag in this game? And since it takes place before the first game, shouldn't the grenades not be able to become proximity mines?

And I'm confused by the Hammerburst comment. Why not just bring back the one from the 1st game? It actually was a burst fire weapon, had a set fire rate, moved up slightly with each shot fired, and makes sense chronologically.

The casual audience must have greatly diminished from this game, so Cliff Bleszinski offers a vain olive branch to people who enjoy the series in the form of a hollow confession, while still gladly taking your money for that mistake.
Spoiler

#103 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:44 AM

If grenades are used by hitting the LB button, how do you grenade tag in this game? And since it takes place before the first game, shouldn't the grenades not be able to become proximity mines?

And I'm confused by the Hammerburst comment. Why not just bring back the one from the 1st game? It actually was a burst fire weapon, had a set fire rate, moved up slightly with each shot fired, and makes sense chronologically.

The casual audience must have greatly diminished from this game, so Cliff Bleszinski offers a vain olive branch to people who enjoy the series in the form of a hollow confession, while still gladly taking your money for that mistake.

Spoiler

eh, i dont think taking the sos out of gears 3 is the real answer. IMO SOS is only one of the few problems with Gears 3 MP. Also i dont think they would take out the sos in modes with it having to be a gun you need to onyx to get seriously 3.0.

It sounds like they are really going back to the old school way of gears. If you cant plant nades, i can live with that. As long as rifles arent OP, inks dont stun, there is no mantle kick, and they do something to the retro (adjust/remove). I still think the retro should be a bolt action type gun that is greater mid to long distances. Single shots for every trigger press. With the bayonet on the end, they can maybe add a CQC melee move, and keep the retro charge. I really am getting higher hopes for Judgments MP than i was a few weeks ago. But hopefully they have an option to change controls back to classic gears, for those who might not want to adjust to the new 1st person controls.

#104 Mospeada_21

Mospeada_21

Zombie Hunter \\*//

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

looks like People Can Fly's Gears of War: Judgment is going to be different The major change Chmielarz has brought to the Gears franchise is upping the ante on the challenge level. "The big idea behind the campaign was that we want people to fear the Locust again, like the first time you played Gears," Chmielarz told Ars Technica. "This game is all about challenge... we believe that the fun comes from being challenged and overcoming that challenge."

I think this will be a good thing. After playing so much Gears and multiplayer, most people probably don't fear the Locust anymore. Especially in Campaign, it became almost like mini-multiplayer skirmishes.

1) See Locust
2) Run towards Locust
3) Flip-Roll at Locust
4) Pop Locust with gnasher or SOS
5) Continue to dispatch more Locust with remaining clip
6) Reload or Flip-Roll away if other Locust are nearby
7) Rinse & Repeat

Smarter AI would be good; adaptive type. Just not the cheap infinitely re-spawning type please...
Now Playing in HD, Progressive Scan, Widescreen, 5.1 DPLII & Dolby Digital, and online or LAN whenever possible.

#105 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Happy about Cliffy's take on SOS. Still worried about class based MP. I like to use the lancer/gnasher combo. Now I can't? :-(

#106 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Happy about Cliffy's take on SOS. Still worried about class based MP. I like to use the lancer/gnasher combo. Now I can't? :-(

As far as i know its only been confirmed for Overrun mode. So it might not be in every mode. I can see class based mode being important for overrun though.

#107 I OU a Beatn

I OU a Beatn

GO GATORS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

As much as I initially hated the sawed off(still not fond of it), I've come to hate the Retro a lot more. As quickly as that thing downs in medium and close range, I hope to God it doesn't make a return. It's single handily ruined Gnasher battles.

630736.png

#108 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

Don't forget the Retro Lancer's inconsistent charge option. Sometimes it impales with only a brief charge, sometimes it bounces off with a long rush at someone, sometimes it pulls a target in or toward the bayonet, and sometimes it still can get through a raised chainsaw attack from a Lancer.

It's crazy to comprehend that at Epic had actually considered applying a bayonet to the Hammerburst, too, similar to how it was in Raam's Shadow with the Sawed-Off Shotgun for the Elite Theron.

#109 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

As far as i know its only been confirmed for Overrun mode. So it might not be in every mode. I can see class based mode being important for overrun though.

Oh I hope it's just on overrun mode only then. Thanks for the response.

#110 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

gameinformer podcast Q&A with Rod....

http://www.gameinfor...r-judgment.aspx

#111 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

Meh...not a fan of podcasts. Hope they do a write up later or that someone sums up the good bits ;)

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#112 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

Meh...not a fan of podcasts. Hope they do a write up later or that someone sums up the good bits ;)

Dont think they really mentioned anything worth while. Just that the game is faster than gears 3. Switching weapons, throwing nades, its faster than gears 3.

oh and overrun. like they havent mentioned that enough.

I think he sounded like there might be new info during comic con. Not too sure though.

#113 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:53 AM

Dont think they really mentioned anything worth while. Just that the game is faster than gears 3. Switching weapons, throwing nades, its faster than gears 3.

How is that possible? Ludicrous speed?

They already made everything faster in Gears of War 3. And the grenades explode before they even beep in Gears of War 3, unlike the previous two titles.

#114 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:16 AM

Well if you've played RE:ORC the way the pistol is being used sounds like what they did. You hold LB and you auto aim with the pistol and you just unload on the target. If I'm right than it'll be something like this @ :55-1:00 but I'm probably wrong.
NYrHqIiL8Ks

#115 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:07 AM

How is that possible? Ludicrous speed?

New control scheme-- Y button to switch between the two primary weapons, hold Y to brandish pistol, LB to throw grenade (no need to switch to it first).

#116 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

New control scheme-- Y button to switch between the two primary weapons, hold Y to brandish pistol, LB to throw grenade (no need to switch to it first).

That's not what my question meant. Thanks, though.

Well if you've played RE:ORC the way the pistol is being used sounds like what they did. You hold LB and you auto aim with the pistol and you just unload on the target. If I'm right than it'll be something like this @ :55-1:00 but I'm probably wrong.

That's what I was asking about. The animation of switching and swapping weapons in Gears of War 3 was already sped up from the previous titles. I just can't understand how it would get faster without looking...wrong.

The video you posted from ORC seems like it's bad design or poor animation on the studios part. It's weird to think that studios would move back to that. It's like how in Goldeneye your character simply lowered the weapon off screen to reload. I accepted that back then without thinking, but now it seems weird to not see a character reload and see variation in the animations either.

Just having a pistol appear in your hand would be jarring to me.

#117 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hmm. I assumed by "faster" it just meant easier/less button presses to do things, not that they were actually speeding up the animations. It does seem like there's not much room to make them even faster than they already are!

#118 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

Looks like Judgment will have a "free for all" type mp game mode. Not too sure about this, i believe i wanted something like this in the past. Guess it depends on how they do it. COD FFA mode sucks cos you talk to everyone and can see where they are when you die. Hopefully you cant talk while playing.

http://www.oxmonline...-november-cover

#119 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

New free for all videos. In there you see mantle kicks, retro lancers, and ...... SAWED OFF! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Other than those 3 things it looks pretty damn awesome.

#120 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

So I see Marcus' skin from Gears of War 3 in the second video. I wonder if there will be classic skins to unlock.

But, wow, the ludicrous speed on weapon swaps is disappointing. Look at the first few seconds where the Baird player switches from grenades to the Lancer to the Gnasher. And later, at just after 35 seconds. The Cole player switches from whatever that new gun is to the Lancer without even being shown the animation during the mantle kick.

Hopefully they'll have a basic Horde Mode. And no season pass bullshit this time.