Power Rangers: Mighty Morphin' - Lost Galaxy - $219.95 w/ FS @ TL (MMPR $83.99 @ AMZ)

Vigilante

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
UPDATE (10/4): Amazon has the complete series for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (this is only the original series and doesn't include Zeo and what follows), scheduled for release 11/20, to preorder at $83.99, 30% off the $119.99 list price!

----------
Original post:

http://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/...ill&siteID=fziHLe0yqFU-igfDv.cCzTWV76s6u.svHA

TimeLife said they'd be releasing a set of the first seven seasons of Power Rangers (338 episodes), and they've finally revealed further details including the high(?) price tag, ship date, and extras (including a bonus collectible action figure only acquirable through preordering this collection).

Paying in $43.99 installments is an option if you don't want to or can't pay the full $219.95.

Yes, yes, this is technically MSRP, but collections like this are deals to the right people...though I'm wondering if $219.95 for seven seasons (~$31.42 per season) is too high.

For comparison, Amazon has the first half of Season 1 up for preorder here for $17.94.

Thoughts on whether this is a good deal?

EDIT: According to ssjmichael, you can take 10% off your next order (i.e., this) if you sign up for the TimeLife newsletter on the main page.

EDIT 2: Here's a link to images of the two packages you'll receive through this deal (as well as the bonus action figure).

Say it with me now: DO WANT. :drool::drool::drool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The action figure makes it an amazing deal. At 7 seasons for $220, it would make each season cost $31.43. I just don't think he show is worth it at that price!

[quote name='ssjmichael']Apply the code DADDYDOUBLE, and it'll take 10% off, bringing the total down to $197.95 :D[/QUOTE]:shock: Cool, thanks for the info! I already updated the OP. I'm assuming this means you couldn't do the paying-in-installments option with that code applied?

Does anyone know if TimeLife charges you immediately if you were to pay the entire price right away?

[quote name='Vigilante']:shock: Cool, thanks for the info! I already updated the OP. I'm assuming this means you couldn't do the paying-in-installments option with that code applied?

Does anyone know if TimeLife charges you immediately if you were to pay the entire price right away?[/QUOTE]

The installment option still appears to be there, so it should work out to 5 payments of $39.59 each. Their FAQ says they won't charge your order until it ships

When will my credit card be charged?
Time Life will not charge your credit card until your order ships. If the item(s) is in stock there will be a short processing time to fulfill your order (an average of one to three business days). During this time you may see a pre-authorization on your card, but you won’t actually be charged until your order ships from our warehouse.

Damn, I'd love to have the seasons with the original Rangers (series went downhill from there) but I wouldn't mind having that figure. But the fact that they're charging so much for the individual seasons and an action figure seems too much... there isn't even a special package or anything.:whistle2:/

[quote name='Vinny']Damn, I'd love to have the seasons with the original Rangers (series went downhill from there) but I wouldn't mind having that figure. But the fact that they're charging so much for the individual seasons and an action figure seems too much... there isn't even a special package or anything.:whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

The reason the seasons seem expensive is because the seasons are really large. I think season 1 is like 60 episodes. I don't think there is a season less than 45 episodes or so. Considering how many episodes you get, it isn't that bad of a price.

[quote name='bizman316']The reason the seasons seem expensive is because the seasons are really large. I think season 1 is like 60 episodes. I don't think there is a season less than 45 episodes or so. Considering how many episodes you get, it isn't that bad of a price.[/QUOTE]

yep, a typical season length here is like 2+ seasons on most shows. If you actually break down on a per episode cost, it isn't that expensive. It works out to about $0.58 an ep.

Has anyone bought from them before? in the installments? are they like some stores that pend the full amount to make sure you have it? or do they just pend and take out the $50 or whatever?

Defiantly want to pick up the full set, and that figure is pretty awesome.

My pre-order has been placed, with the coupon code. I'll be paying $39.59 for the next 4 months!

Assuming that Shout Factory is releasing 2 sets per season. It comes out to be 14.14 per volume, not including bonus disc and figure (14 volumes in all).

[quote name='styl3s']Has anyone bought from them before? in the installments? are they like some stores that pend the full amount to make sure you have it? or do they just pend and take out the $50 or whatever?

Defiantly want to pick up the full set, and that figure is pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

Not sure on preorders but when I ordered Ghostbusters Animated series, I got charged about 46.?? then 3 weeks later another installment.

[quote name='styl3s']Has anyone bought from them before? in the installments? are they like some stores that pend the full amount to make sure you have it? or do they just pend and take out the $50 or whatever?

Defiantly want to pick up the full set, and that figure is pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, I'm awful tempted but the $200 tag with coupon is still an awful lot and hard to swallow, and I don't think I could wait with 3 half seasons and all. The other thing I wonder is if the 2 bonus DVDs are only available through this order- if they are, I'll more than likely have to cave and go for it.

[quote name='bizman316']The reason the seasons seem expensive is because the seasons are really large. I think season 1 is like 60 episodes. I don't think there is a season less than 45 episodes or so. Considering how many episodes you get, it isn't that bad of a price.[/QUOTE]
This is a great example where quantity over quality isn't worth it at all.

Time Life + Power Rangers + Installment Payments = Nostalgia oozing out of every corner. I wonder if they'll accept Diner's Club and COD payments as well.
Time Life will take the separate disc cases and the action figure, and wrap them in bubble wrap and send them to you in a regular shipping carton.
This right here is a steaming pile of ghetto fail.

so if I order this does it not charge me till august when it comes out or can I wait u think and u dont end up paying more to pay in 4 months right im new to this kinda ordering

never mind I didnt read all of the other post

Shout! Factory is releasing individual sets of Power Rangers beginning in August. I really only have interest in the original series, as I grew up and lost interest by the time the second series came around, so I will wait.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Apply the code DADDYDOUBLE, and it'll take 10% off, bringing the total down to $197.95 :D[/QUOTE]

cheers man, the cheaper the better :)
ppniui

I agree, once you go Japanese unadulterated violence, you never go back.
As much as this would be a killer nostalgia fix, I sure as hell do not want to plunk down $200 for Power Rangers.

This is coming out at a horrible time for me......saving money for comic con and already have Walking Dead season 2 limited edition, 3 disney movies, street fighter 25th anniversary preordered on amazon.

[quote name='Kerig']Time Life + Power Rangers + Installment Payments = Nostalgia oozing out of every corner. I wonder if they'll accept Diner's Club and COD payments as well.[/QUOTE]
Think the last thing I bought from them was the Get Smart collection because at the time it had an exclusive disc of bonus features for each season which wasn't in the retail release, quality set.

We only need one more thing to complete the time warp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRLUVQVuDW0

Just wanted to point out...they're all (MMPR-Samurai) up on Netflix except for Power Rangers: Super Samurai...which is still currently running on Nickelodeon. ...and man, some of these sure don't stand the test of time.

[quote name='ray2dee']know what I always found weird that Power Rangers: The Movie is not out on blu ray still[/QUOTE]

Why? It's a cappy non-canon cash in. We still don't have Schindler's List or Indiana Jones on Blu Ray either.

[quote name='joker______']I just want the first 2 seasons,got dumb starting from Zeo and beyond.[/QUOTE]

wouldn't you want season 3 too then? Season 3 was still Mighty Morphin.

I liked Zeo. Turbo is where it went downhill for me. Having a kid as a Ranger? Idiotic

[quote name='Kerig']This right here is a steaming pile of ghetto fail.[/QUOTE]

That's been corrected:

What we were trying to communicate to our readers is this: there will not be a single slipcase (or any other sort of packaging) which houses all 7 seasons together on your shelf. What we made it sound like is that you won't get any slipcases at all, which is where we steered you wrong. Shout! Factory is producing these DVDs, and the packages, for Time Life. What they will do is take the first 3 seasons (the entire run of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) and house them in one slipcase, and then separately there will be a second slipcase housing Power Rangers: Seasons 4-7 (Zeo, Turbo, In Space and Lost Galaxy). Time Life will take those two collections, and the special bonus action figure, and those three items are what will be taken to "wrap them in bubble wrap and send them to you."

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']wouldn't you want season 3 too then? Season 3 was still Mighty Morphin.

I liked Zeo. Turbo is where it went downhill for me. Having a kid as a Ranger? Idiotic[/QUOTE]

Agreed -- Zeo was pretty awesome, Turbo sucked, but it definitely picked back up with In Space, and Lost Galaxy is generally well regarded. As for seasons not yet scheduled for release, Dino Thunder is great, and RPM is fucking *excellent*.

[quote name='spmahn']Why? It's a cappy non-canon cash in. We still don't have Schindler's List or Indiana Jones on Blu Ray either.[/QUOTE]

Non-canon, yes, but crappy? I love that movie!

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']wouldn't you want season 3 too then? Season 3 was still Mighty Morphin.

I liked Zeo. Turbo is where it went downhill for me. Having a kid as a Ranger? Idiotic[/QUOTE]

Turbo sucked, but In Space was AMAZING.

cant blame turbo if you know super sentai history. when ohranger aka zeo on air in japan, japan was under terrorrist sarin gas attack in tokyo and during this period ohranger show was ment to be serious extreme thus they have to dumb down the plot and almost going to be end of SS series. however the following series carranger aka turbo was set to be friendly funny theme...thats what happen....and about the kids as ranger, its already happen in dairanger the kibaranger aka white ranger also the brutal violence series following zyuranger aka first PR which Saban skips it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL-09lJ3w7o

and here some zyuranger fight footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AaV2g71WpU

[quote name='Astroranagun']cant blame turbo if you know super sentai history. when ohranger aka zeo on air in japan, japan was under terrorrist sarin gas attack in tokyo and during this period ohranger show was ment to be serious extreme thus they have to dumb down the plot and almost going to be end of SS series. however the following series carranger aka turbo was set to be friendly funny theme...thats what happen....[/QUOTE]

That's fine, but PR doesn't necessarily need to follow the themes and tone of the Sentai. Look at the difference between Go-Onger and RPM: PR took a much more serious approach to a more kid-friendly Sentai.

Yeah sure. I'm in. Why not? Coupon code makes it easier to swallow.

For the install plan, the 40 a month makes this worth it, even if I don't care for Power Rangers aside from the first season. I'm curious to check out the rest, and even if it's on Netflix, I feel like I need this regardless. Who's to say if it'll last once these come out, anyway?

I have a feeling these will hold value, too. So even if it sucks, unloading it won't be too big of a hit, if at all.

What are the chances that if I order this they will give me a variant "Brock" figure instead of the Red Ranger in Uniform? I wouldn't mind having the Austin St. John Red Ranger, but I am way more into his "alter" ego Brock.

[quote name='Davestation']What are the chances that if I order this they will give me a variant "Brock" figure instead of the Red Ranger in Uniform? I wouldn't mind having the Austin St. John Red Ranger, but I am way more into his "alter" ego Brock.[/QUOTE]

fuck you for making me Google that.

Just a heads up for all you Power Rangers fans! There will be a convention celebrating Power Rangers and Saban-related TV shows like Beetleborgs and Masked Rider, to name a few.

The show is in August in Pasadena, CA at the Pasadena Convention Center.

All the info such as tickets and who is currently confirmed can be found at the following website:

http://officialpowermorphicon.com/guests/guests-2012/

Hope to see you there!!

[quote name='Davestation']What are the chances that if I order this they will give me a variant "Brock" figure instead of the Red Ranger in Uniform? I wouldn't mind having the Austin St. John Red Ranger, but I am way more into his "alter" ego Brock.[/QUOTE]

As much as I want Brock to be Austin St. John, he's not. :(

[quote name='bboyrealm']Just a heads up for all you Power Rangers fans! There will be a convention celebrating Power Rangers and Saban-related TV shows like Beetleborgs and Masked Rider, to name a few.

All the info such as tickets and who is currently confirmed can be found at the following website:

Hope to see you there!![/QUOTE]

too bad this isn't in July. Going to be there for comic con. Can't afford 2 trips to California.

[quote name='bboyrealm']Just a heads up for all you Power Rangers fans! There will be a convention celebrating Power Rangers and Saban-related TV shows like Beetleborgs and Masked Rider, to name a few.

Hope to see you there!![/QUOTE]

I'll be there with my girlfriend. PMC2 was a blast -- I'll be wearing my ninja ranger outfit again :)

If you're only interested in certain seasons, Amazon Germany has the original German releases from a few years back for 24 euros (30 USD). These are FULL seasons, rather than half seasons.

Not to bash you guys for loving power rangers but are you guys teenagers? I'm 28 and mighty morphin was like crack to me when I was 10-12 but grew out of it after the first or second season. Watched a little bit of the white ranger and then stopped. Are the later seasons good? I mean, is it meant for an older audience? Just curious why you guys are so hyped about a $200 set. I think I saw power rangers on netflix but didn't bother to watch it.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Not to bash you guys for loving power rangers but are you guys teenagers? I'm 28 and mighty morphin was like crack to me when I was 10-12 but grew out of it after the first or second season. Watched a little bit of the white ranger and then stopped. Are the later seasons good? I mean, is it meant for an older audience? Just curious why you guys are so hyped about a $200 set. I think I saw power rangers on netflix but didn't bother to watch it.[/QUOTE]

I think some people just grow out of different things. I was visiting family last year and some of my little cousins' kids were watching an old VHS tape of Power Rangers and I remember thinking holy hell this is awful. I used to watch them all the time when I was a kid, but now I have no idea how I found it entertaining.

On the other hand, I can still watch Batman, G.I. Joe, Transformers and other shows I watched as a kid and enjoy it today. I think it probably just depends on how much nostalgia value you get out of something. If you're more attached to a certain show you loved as a kid, it might be easier to overlook its shortcomings.

It varies from show to show for me, a lot of the Disney late 80s/early 90s animated series stand up for me. I tried watching the original animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles again and I don't know what it about the way the voice actors, I don't know, talk down to the audience in their pattern of speech (like midway between baby talk and normal speaking patterns) that it literally gives me a headache if I try to watch more than 4 episodes in a row.

I had the same problem (to a lesser extent) with He-man.

bread's done
Back