• This topic is locked This topic is locked
501 replies to this topic

#421 Rai Rai

Rai Rai

Titanfall DLC #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

Official teams?

So I have to like play story mode with a determined set of characters?

What is this shit?

If you really wanna see them, just go to the game's folder. They're all just fucking WMV files anyway.

#422 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

i don't think fighting games will die because we have good netcode that's only getting better.
the competitive scene will continue to be messy, though.
Every day's great at your Junes!

#423 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

If you really wanna see them, just go to the game's folder. They're all just fucking WMV files anyway.

No shit? That's cool, means I don't have to play that game.

i don't think fighting games will die because we have good netcode that's only getting better.
the competitive scene will continue to be messy, though.

Good netcode didn't save Skullgirls. Unless you guys are secretly playing that game behind my back.

Fighting games certainly have made a return, by how the next editions will fair would be purely based on the competitive aspect of the game. See SFxT.

#424 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

i'm not talking about each specific game having netcode. just... netcode in general right now makes playing fighters online fun, which is i why i think they'll be around for a while.

SFxT was a victim of bad press all around.

#425 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

I know what you meant :) I was just trying to see if people even tried Skullgirls in the first place :D

In other news, I actually have my GWFL account live, so I can some SSF4AE online again with other PC players!

#426 hankmecrankme

hankmecrankme

Drunken Jesus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

AE? Nasty.

Posted Image Posted Image

I like how this one black guy manager at my nearest KFC rejected the chicken and told the employees to make me some new chicken. He understood how us black folks like our friend chicken fresh and not hard.

I love me some fried food. I eat friend food all the time and I'm still super skinny. I can eat all the friend chicken and other unhealthy foods never getting fat.:D

#427 Rai Rai

Rai Rai

Titanfall DLC #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

Agreed, I think this is a major part of what helped the "boom" in 2009 and after.

I was just trying to see if people even tried Skullgirls in the first place :D

I did, but I didn't like it. I ended up going back to SFxT.

AE? Nasty.

This.

#428 option.iv

option.iv

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

i'm not talking about each specific game having netcode. just... netcode in general right now makes playing fighters online fun, which is i why i think they'll be around for a while.

SFxT was a victim of bad press all around.

Bad press? Well you can say a lot of how the game was received by the community led to bad press. It's a bad game. Mechanics wise and how it's structured (DLC gems, which no one cared for). I haven't been keeping up, but I keep seeing articles in my feed talking about how they're still patching and updating the game. Last I heard, no one gives a shit about the game. What demographic are they trying to salvage and win back?

Also with jcart, Skullgirls had awesome netcode. Game was flavor of the week. Soul Calibur 5 when it came out had the best netcode of any 3d fighter, but that too became flavor of the week. Tekken has arguably some of the best netcode this generation, but I have a pretty good feeling it'll follow suit.

My stance on netcode and "fun-ness" is that it doesn't add to the fun, it just alleviates frustration and reduces complaints the better the connection. Even though Tekken netcode is out of this world good, it's still not that arcade experience. I doubt that'll ever be possible, but remember when SF4 came out people were trying to be hip and would place quarters on their TV (when there was no reason to do so since they were most likely the only person in the house). It was the nostalgia factor. Now that well has run dry and people are for sure more critical on fighting game releases. No doubt that nostalgia played a big part in the 2009 revival.

Too many games, not enough time. People are moving on. Doesn't help everyone and their mother is playing Borderlands 2 right now.

@jcart: Tried skullgirls, liked it at first (even got decent with Painwheel). Until I kept bumping into the brokenness that was Double's ass assist which was far from ass. Last I heard they fixed that, but something about the anti-infinite system irked me. Not that I want infinites, but when the combos simply became a simple formula of doing the same loop but starting with different attacks... ughh.

test.gif

#429 Rai Rai

Rai Rai

Titanfall DLC #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

Bla bla bla. Sup, option.

#430 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:56 AM

I know not many people watch streams here but a MM going on between two notorious combo droppers.

Nice av/sig option.

#431 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

5th place. I think I had a good shot to do a lot better or win it, but I blew it. I got beat by someone's pocket Voldo mostly because I dont have a lot of experience with the matchup. I gave the guys who placed 1st and 2nd a lot more trouble in casuals afterwards than the people who placed 3rd and 4th did. Bah. That wont happen again though.

I did put a drunk Bibulus in losers in the 2nd round though.

#432 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

Bad press? Well you can say a lot of how the game was received by the community led to bad press. It's a bad game. Mechanics wise and how it's structured (DLC gems, which no one cared for). I haven't been keeping up, but I keep seeing articles in my feed talking about how they're still patching and updating the game. Last I heard, no one gives a shit about the game. What demographic are they trying to salvage and win back?

The bad press started with the On-Disc DLC, which led to outrage beyond the community.

After MrWizard pre-emptively announced SFxT wouldn't be at next year's Evo, a lot of top players came out in defense of the game and the announcement was withdrawn.

I feel like it's a decent game. The gem system wasn't implemented well but I think it's fun. However the community loves to bandwagon and once a game is shunned it pretty much has no hope of coming back. The majority of players are terrible at games so a lot of times they complain about shit that doesn't concern their level of play. I've seen many complain about Jab Fighter x Tekken, but they can't even do combos or basic anti-airing.

#433 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

@jcart: Tried skullgirls, liked it at first (even got decent with Painwheel). Until I kept bumping into the brokenness that was Double's ass assist which was far from ass. Last I heard they fixed that, but something about the anti-infinite system irked me. Not that I want infinites, but when the combos simply became a simple formula of doing the same loop but starting with different attacks... ughh.

The ass assist being godlike and the lack of the patch update is inadvertently my fault :D

#434 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:36 AM

@jimbo slizzice: when you sent me that message i was getting my car smog checked! we need to play sometime so i can feel less bad about losing to button mashers.

#435 option.iv

option.iv

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

The bad press started with the On-Disc DLC, which led to outrage beyond the community.

After MrWizard pre-emptively announced SFxT wouldn't be at next year's Evo, a lot of top players came out in defense of the game and the announcement was withdrawn.

I feel like it's a decent game. The gem system wasn't implemented well but I think it's fun. However the community loves to bandwagon and once a game is shunned it pretty much has no hope of coming back. The majority of players are terrible at games so a lot of times they complain about shit that doesn't concern their level of play. I've seen many complain about Jab Fighter x Tekken, but they can't even do combos or basic anti-airing.

Haha, jab fighter x tekken... Just watched the EVO finals (decided to not watch most of it) and most of the damage came off Rolento jab confirm into auto combo. And fitting that the very last hit to clench the championship was a jab. Jabs are/were powerful in the game because of +frames, hitting crouched chars (why this is, I don't know), and being the fastest moves in the game. Though I'm not sure about the status of the game now since they have done several balance patches since the beginning.

test.gif

#436 Rai Rai

Rai Rai

Titanfall DLC #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

Evo finals were ass and an embarrassment to that game.

#437 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

afaik rolento's jabs were nerfed as was ryu's safe joudan.

i think yellow life doesn't come back as fast anymore either.

i totally forgot about time over. yeah that was a problem but mostly because you'd see top players exchanging fireballs when there's 30 seconds left and one of them has a big life lead. yeah you're not gonna win like that.

#438 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

Been meaning to play more TTT2 this past week but the little time I have is dedicated to Tokyo Jungle >_< too addicting.

#439 option.iv

option.iv

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

Evo finals were ass and an embarrassment to that game.

Well at the time, that's how the game was supposed to be played. Laugh and Infil stuck to the plan and it payed off. You wanted high level? That was high level...

Jabbenum jabbenum jabbenum...

test.gif

#440 Rai Rai

Rai Rai

Titanfall DLC #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

At least that type of play is getting blown up at Capcom's tourney last I saw.

#441 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

i feel like tekken is a good game, but it hasn't taken off because new blood isn't injected in the scene so it won't grow...

#442 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

yes i made someone ragequit in ttt2 yesterday

i also threw this one guy like 9 times and then he threw me 15 times in the rematch. i kept hitting the wrong throw escape. i mean man, i only needed 1 or 2 break, and i kept hitting the wrong one =\

#443 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

From the scrubs I've played in TT2 people pick 5 or 6 bread n' butter combos with a character and just stick to those. And you can be sure if I play a Kazuya there's a uf,4,4,4,4 in there at least a dozen times.

Is it me or is high level Tekken play annoying to watch?

#444 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Is it me or is high level Tekken play annoying to watch?

What do you mean by annoying?

#445 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

What do you mean by annoying?

It's just jarring to watch with all the double tapping back and forth. Not saying anything about skill.

#446 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

It's much better than it was compared to the older games, T6/T5/TTT.

What's great is Korean commentators.

#447 Tom Im Not

Tom Im Not

The artist formerly known as MtlTom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

Asianxcore I got your invite last night but accidentally hit decline instead of accept then it looks like you joined another game. I was working on some things on my new team. We'll have to play again sometime.

#448 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:00 AM

From the scrubs I've played in TT2 people pick 5 or 6 bread n' butter combos with a character and just stick to those.

that's also how the pros play.

dont fix what aint broke.

#449 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

Pro's rely on BnB combos? I thought there style was linking seemingly endless juggles and bounds.

EDIT: I could have the term wrong but I was always under the impression a "bread n butter combo" is easy to execute, but not exactly maximizing damage. I always associated it to a move/combo beginner or intermediate players use. I'm not saying a pro wouldn't use them, just not something they'd outfit their entire arsenal on. Again I could have the term wrong.

Edited by Rodimus, 03 October 2012 - 02:03 AM.

#450 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

BnB combo is just "staple combo," has nothing to do with being easy or maxing damage.