RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1162 replies to this topic

#31 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Just finished Deus Ex: HR and it was a really good stealth game, aside from the parts where I was seen by ghosts / through walls. That's an RPG, right?

#32 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Been busy and working. Anyway I finally have some free time to start hacking away at my collection and finally replaced my stolen 360. Thinking about playing Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, or Blue Dragon. Anybody have any thoughts on these, or suggestions for other xbox rpg's I should take a look at first?

I played Lost Odyssey and had a good time, though it gets worse as it goes on.

UjCoyFa.png

#33 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

Dragon Quest 6 just goes on and on and on. 32 hours in so far.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#34 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

I thought it get better as it went along.The game starts really slow on that first disc.It was about 75% watching cutscenes and reading memories for that disc.The second disc is when they balance it out and the pace picks up.

#35 ihadFG

ihadFG

Adamustache

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

Shit like, "DRM ruined Diablo 3." Yeah, not because the entire game is awful, it was the DRM. Hipsters.

In the end, the DRM did ruin Diablo 3 for me, not the game being bad. I only got through one playthrough, but I gave up on the game during nightmare because I kept getting kicked out of the game almost every time I played because of how unstable my internet has been lately.

I thought it get better as it went along.The game starts really slow on that first disc.It was about 75% watching cutscenes and reading memories for that disc.The second disc is when they balance it out and the pace picks up.

I felt that way too. The first disc was my least favorite, and I thought it really picked up as it went on. I liked fourth disc a lot because of all the optional bosses, even if the final boss was completely unthreatening. My favorite parts of the game were the Thousand Years of Dreams, but they were spread out among the first three discs.

#36 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

I miss you. =(

Awww, I miss you too. As well as most of the people in the GGT. Unfortunately as long as certain people are there I'm not going back.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#37 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

So the studio that made Kingdoms of Amalur has declared bankruptcy.

I got nothin'.

Posted Image

#38 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch was pretty cool from what I played. Though it seems everyone needs to have some sort of gimmicky rpg element nowadays.

#39 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch was pretty cool from what I played. Though it seems everyone needs to have some sort of gimmicky rpg element nowadays.

The main reason why I own a PS3 is to eventually play that game. The wife, who doesn't do much gaming, is interested in playing it.
Posted Image

#40 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'm 40 hours into Tales of the Abyss, I'm thinking I'm probably getting near the end now. Overall the cast of characters has grown on me, Luke and Tear are a little mixed for me since they both have annoying moments; Anise, Guy, and Jade are all amazing and have consistently made me laugh, and Natalia is alright but kind of one dimensional. I've actually played almost the game entirely while using public transit to commute to work (a little bit was played while at the laundromat). I basically play around 30 minutes to an hour each day depending on if I play going both ways, it hasn't been too bad, although I play differently than I normally do when gaming at home since I have to make sure that I can get to a save point fairly quickly if I'm near where I have to get off (I kind of wish there was a quick save option, hopefully there isn't one that I don't know about, haha).

Oh ya, I wouldn't suggest turning on the 3D for Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS, the effect is noticeable, but it is also one of the most nauseating things I've ever tried to look at while playing an RPG game, haha. It's seemed especially bad when I was just running around a town.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#41 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Only 40 hours, huh? Maybe that should go toward the top of the list once I actually finish RPGs. I don't really have the time to do 100+ hour gutbusters.
Posted Image

#42 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

About to put more hours into P3P. Playing that Persona fighting game got me hyped back into it again.

#43 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Only 40 hours, huh? Maybe that should go toward the top of the list once I actually finish RPGs. I don't really have the time to do 100+ hour gutbusters.

I'm guessing the game is probably 50-55 hours total, I could be wrong, but they already pulled the classic RPG false climax, "once we do this, it's all over... oh wait no it isn't." So I'm guessing they aren't going to pull it again, so I'm fairly sure everything is proceeding to the real final climax at this point. It feels like it's going to be about the same length as Symphonia was (which also had the false climax).

I don't think I've played a 100+ hour rpg... well ever actually. I want to say the longest ones I can remember playing were Dragon Quest VIII which took me about 80 hours and SMT: Nocturne which took me around 70 hours to get the true demon ending. I don't really play SRPGs (or at least never to completion save Valkyria Chronicles) so maybe I manage to avoid a lot of the truly epicly long RPG games.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#44 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm guessing the game is probably 50-55 hours total, I could be wrong, but they already pulled the classic RPG false climax, "once we do this, it's all over... oh wait no it isn't."

Sounds like a pretty accurate estimate as I recall. To be honest, the game is much much better after the "false climax". I went from despising Luke to actually liking the guy. Jade totally made that game though.
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#45 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

In the meantime, I have started playing The Witcher. Haven't gotten far, and the game crashed when I went to the first town. Looks interesting. Gotta love a game where one of the first things you do is bed a hot redhead. I mean, how can you say no?

Just finished that game and it was a lot of fun. The game is a little glitchy at times, but push through because it is worth it.

fs_overall.png

#46 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

I never finished it.

Best part.

So the studio that made Kingdoms of Amalur has declared bankruptcy.

I got nothin'.

Old news! Get out of the woods and back to civilization dammit!

#47 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

Old news! Get out of the woods and back to civilization dammit!

Calgary is close enough to civilization.

Though I'm back to the woods again some time tomorrow. Short contract, though, so I should have a brief re-connection with the internet some time later this month.

Posted Image

#48 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Playing that Persona fighting game got me hyped back into it again.

Go On...

Calgary is close enough to civilization.

Though I'm back to the woods again some time tomorrow. Short contract, though, so I should have a brief re-connection with the internet some time later this month.

There is still a lot of days left in this month. Later is a long time.

#49 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:00 AM

Anybody else playing (or has played) Xenoblade Chronicles? I'm nearly 50 hours in, enjoying quite a bit, but anybody have reccomendations on what are the best arts for the characters? I'm always torn on what to keep and what to get rid of. My usual party is Shulk/Dunban/Sharla, but I experiment a bit with different parties as well.

Edited by Erad30, 09 June 2012 - 12:27 AM.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#50 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:26 AM

Been busy and working. Anyway I finally have some free time to start hacking away at my collection and finally replaced my stolen 360. Thinking about playing Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, or Blue Dragon. Anybody have any thoughts on these, or suggestions for other xbox rpg's I should take a look at first?

I loved Vesperia, a lot. I've played most of the Tales games and that's my favorite. Blue Dragon is a perfectly solid kind of old school rpg (think DQ with good graphics). I wasn't really able to get into Lost Odyssey.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

#51 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:35 AM

Anybody else playing (or has played) Xenoblade Chronicles? I'm nearly 50 hours in, enjoying quite a bit, but anybody have reccomendations on what are the best arts for the characters? I'm always torn on what to keep and what to get rid of. My usual party is Shulk/Dunban/Sharla, but I experiment a bit with different parties as well.

A bunch of us did/are.

I made it about 40 hours in before I stopped playing that and picked up The Last Story. Made it about 20 hours into that before I stopped.

For arts, Shulk is easy, since I think he gets just enough arts to fill up the slots and nothing more. For Dunban, the AI will only use a second aura once the first has timed-out, so you'll probably want to set him up with only two that he can alternate back and forth from. I would recommend Peerless and Serene Heart. You'll probably want to have him set up with his other aggro increasing abilities as well and you should have Gale Slash, Gutbuster, Steel Strike in there so he can topple on his own (not sure how effective the AI is at doing this however).

I don't really use Sharla much, but it'll probably be best just to load her up with healing arts and her daze and break abilities.

#52 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

I'm only 30 hours in, but I find that Shulk/Sharla/Rhyn is the best way to go for me. Maybe I just don't like change but their my best group and seem to work the best as a unit.

Man you people are cheap.

#53 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:18 AM

I say worse as it goes on because the beginning of the game is largely void of a narrative, and is more focused on the memory stories and center characters. That's Lost Odyssey at its best, before it sinks back into typical JRPG fare.

UjCoyFa.png

#54 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:05 AM

A bunch of us did/are.

I made it about 40 hours in before I stopped playing that and picked up The Last Story. Made it about 20 hours into that before I stopped.

Did you import Last Story? I thought it wasn't out til July 10th?

#55 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:11 AM

I'm only 30 hours in, but I find that Shulk/Sharla/Rhyn is the best way to go for me. Maybe I just don't like change but their my best group and seem to work the best as a unit.

I found that Dunban made a much better tank than Reyn, and that he didn't really... need Sharla's help.

Posted Image

#56 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:29 AM

Did you import Last Story? I thought it wasn't out til July 10th?

Yes.

#57 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:39 AM

Has anyone on CAG finished Xenoblade? I want to believe all the recommendations but everyone seems to be procrastinating on the game.

Of course I know you all have lives, but come on!

UjCoyFa.png

#58 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:14 AM

Check out the thread about the game in the Wii forum. People there have finished it.

Game is long and filled with tons of mostly meaningless side quest that you can spend quite some time going through if you're a completionist.

You should definitely give it a shot Panzer, one of the better RPGs of this generation and it's on the Wii!

#59 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:32 AM

Well I work full time, am married to a gamer (who is currently spending lots of hours on Rune Factory Frontier) and have a solid backlog of rpgs. After Xenoblade I still have Skyward Sword, FFXIII-2 Disgaea 4 Tales of Graces F and Valkyria Chronicles. I'm only getting Last Story right away because it'll be hard to get if I wait. After that I probably won't be getting any more rpgs til the new Paper Mario.

#60 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:40 AM

Has anyone on CAG finished Xenoblade? I want to believe all the recommendations but everyone seems to be procrastinating on the game.

Of course I know you all have lives, but come on!

Haven't finished it. I have a good excuse.

Now finish Planescape Torment, dammit.

Posted Image