RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1162 replies to this topic

#61 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

Hell I had to make a pretty dedicated effort or I'd still be working on Kingdoms of Amalur & Skyrim-Pretty much just rushed through those without doing much in the way of sidequests, still spent about 50 hours on each though so I got my money's worth.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#62 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:03 AM

Well I work full time, am married to a gamer (who is currently spending lots of hours on Rune Factory Frontier) and have a solid backlog of rpgs. After Xenoblade I still have Skyward Sword, FFXIII-2 Disgaea 4 Tales of Graces F and Valkyria Chronicles. I'm only getting Last Story right away because it'll be hard to get if I wait. After that I probably won't be getting any more rpgs til the new Paper Mario.

You think that's a bad RPG backlog? Look what I got, I own all of these and have not played any of them outside of confirming they work:

PS2:
Dot Hack parts 1-4
Dot Hack G.U. Volumes 1-3
Inuyasha: The Secret of the cursed mask
Monster Rancher 3
Monster Rancher Evo
Kingdom Hearts I&II
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4
Rogue Galaxy
Wild Arms 4
Xenosaga 1-3

Gamecube:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Tales of Symphonia

360:
Fable II
Final fantasy 13&13-2
Record of Aragrast War Zero
Tales of Vespara

PS3:
Atelier Rorona, Totori, and Meruru

Portable:
Dissidia 012
Final FantasyIV
Jeane d'arc
Persona I&II
Devil Survivor Over clocked
Dragon Quest V
Mario and Luigi Bowsers Inside story
Kingdom Hearts RE Chain of Memories

Needless to say, I'm behind.

Man you people are cheap.

#63 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:23 AM

Well I said solid not massive. But in a good week I probably get about 10-15 hours of gaming in. It can be different if I'm really into a game (blasted through ME3 in about a week), but honestly the rest of the year looks fairly bleak rpg-wise so I'm pretty content to take my time.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

#64 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

You think that's a bad RPG backlog? Look what I got, I own all of these and have not played any of them outside of confirming they work:

Spoiler

Are we doing this? Do we really want to bring out the backlogs?

No, no we don't. It can only create sadness.

#65 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

Yeah Crotch, I'll get back to Planescape now -- think I'll be using a guide because I always forget what my last clues were.

And that's the only game I really have in my backlog, because I gave up on Breath of Fire IV. No game deserves a camera like that.

#66 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Another one with a huge RPG backlog. I have played 12 hours of Xenoblade, but I'm also trying to finish a bunch of other games. I also still need to go back and finish FFX and Persona 3, which are pretty close to being done.
Posted Image

#67 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

I'm really trying to focus one one at a time, that can help. Not saying I won't get distracted, that's how a backlog happens, but as I said the rpg release list for the rest of the year looks incredibly barren, so I have a good chance of getting through my current list before picking anything new up.

#68 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

Yeah Crotch, I'll get back to Planescape now -- think I'll be using a guide because I always forget what my last clues were.

PST does have a really good journal, so that shouldn't be too big a problem.

Though there's lots of shit that's really easy to miss without a guide. I didn't hit the modron cube on my first run (which is good, I guess, because that place is long and terrible by design, though the companion you pick up there is cool), and it's hard to get to the Paranoid's maze if you don't know what you're doing.

EDIT: It's also fairly easy to change your alignment - at least, the lawful-chaotic part of it - without even realizing you're doing lawful/chaotic actions.

Edited by The Crotch, 09 June 2012 - 05:49 PM.

Posted Image

#69 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

Ok I was not at all interested in Pokemon Conquest until now because i just learned it's turn-based strategy. That's awesome I devour turn-based strategy games on portables, played the hell out of Ghost Recon on my 3DS and been itching for something else turn-based ever since. Also perfect because I'm going to California for a week a couple days after that comes out and could sorely use a new game for the trip.

#70 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

Has anyone on CAG finished Xenoblade? I want to believe all the recommendations but everyone seems to be procrastinating on the game.

Of course I know you all have lives, but come on!

Beat it as in seen the credits roll? Yep. Though the ending was kind of a slog and the last batch of bosses are absurdly difficult (though I didn't feel like grinding more so that could be why).

Beat it as in 100%? God no. Way to much to do in that damned game. Barely even touched the Colony 6 stuff. I was missing 1 item from every upgrade category, and I think you could only get them through trading. I never traded with anyone, so didn't feel like hunting around for someone with the right items.
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#71 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

Beat it as in seen the credits roll? Yep. Though the ending was kind of a slog and the last batch of bosses are absurdly difficult (though I didn't feel like grinding more so that could be why).

Beat it as in 100%? God no. Way to much to do in that damned game. Barely even touched the Colony 6 stuff. I was missing 1 item from every upgrade category, and I think you could only get them through trading. I never traded with anyone, so didn't feel like hunting around for someone with the right items.

Where the bosses on a higher level than you? Cause I've found the bosses so far to be a brease as long as I'm around two levels higher.

Man you people are cheap.

#72 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Where the bosses on a higher level than you? Cause I've found the bosses so far to be a brease as long as I'm around two levels higher.

About the same +/- 2 levels. They just have absurd HP. It wasn't "difficult" per se, just tedious to kill em.

The game does a really stupid thing with enemy levels in that you can't even hit enemies that are, I think, 5 levels higher than you. So if all of a sudden a boss comes up that's 5 levels higher, you can't even try and tough it out. You just plain won't touch them.
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers

#73 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

I haven't tried it myself but people say with the proper setup you can easily beat guys 20 levels higher than you. And yeah, I'm probably on the last 3rd of the story and haven't done a whole lot of sidequests and haven't even started on colony 6 (don't even really know how, figured it would just happen in the story at some point, but hasn't yet). I do plan to go and do a bunch right before the end since that might help me level a bit.

#74 raiden_86

raiden_86

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Finally beat ME3 this weekend, plat'd on the first playthrough which was actually pretty easy. Think I'll go back to the old thread and find the ME3 banter I skipped over. The ending was crap, but it's looking better since I read up on the indoctrination theory.
Spoiler

Now back to Digital Devil Saga, 15 hours into it and its pretty good. Darker more serious story dungeon crawler with a pretty high encounter rate. Like the voice acting except for Cielos jamaican accent... really? Is that suppose to be the comic relief?

Edited by raiden_86, 11 June 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#75 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

Now back to Digital Devil Saga, 15 hours into it and its pretty good. Darker more serious story dungeon crawler with a pretty high encounter rate. Like the voice acting except for Cielos jamaican accent... really? Is that suppose to be the comic relief?

I don't think so, I think they just didn't want the guy with giant dreads to talk like just another white guy.

#76 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, Cielo's not really comic relief. I like him as a character, but that accent!

Played through Breath of Death VII this weekend; the whole thing took me around eight hours. Being a parody RPG, it's a very silly game, with lots of references. I felt that the monster difficulty was a little unbalanced at times when going between certain areas, and the music doesn't loop cleanly. Still, I had a good time with it.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#77 jello44

jello44

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

Finally beat ME3 this weekend, plat'd on the first playthrough which was actually pretty easy. Think I'll go back to the old thread and find the ME3 banter I skipped over. The ending was crap, but it's looking better since I read up on the indoctrination theory.

Spoiler

You think it's dark now, just wait til you get to DDS2.

I'm at the last dungeon of that game and it's all like "WHOA".

I don't think so, I think they just didn't want the guy with giant dreads to talk like just another white guy.

Funny thing because it's a white guy voice doing a terrible Jamaican accent. :P

(He was also Teddie in P4)

72768.png

#78 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

Funny thing because it's a white guy voice doing a terrible Jamaican accent. :P

(He was also Teddie in P4)

Don't you dare say that you don't like Teddie's voice...

Posted Image

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#79 jello44

jello44

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Don't you dare say that you don't like Teddie's voice...

English was fine.

Japanese? HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO.

72768.png

#80 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

I asked in the Niche deals thread, but I'll ask it here one time and then let it go. Does anyone have any opinions on the upcoming PSP game, Gungnir? I'm really on the fence about picking it up, and right now am leaning on giving it a pass.

As for what I'm playing, I'm alternating between Xenoblade Chronicles and Radiant Historia. Easily the best pair of RPGs I've played at the same time for quite awhile. :D

#81 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

English was fine.

Japanese? HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO.

I don't agree, in Japanese when he is in his outfit his voice reminds me of Doraemon (who I love), and his human form sounds cute (Note there are probably spoilers in the video if you understand Japanese).

Edited by icebeast, 12 June 2012 - 03:42 AM.

sig.gif

#82 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Has anyone on CAG finished Xenoblade? I want to believe all the recommendations but everyone seems to be procrastinating on the game.

Of course I know you all have lives, but come on!

I'm not really procrastinating, I really want to play more, I just don't have much time. Every chance I get I'm playing it, but yeah it's long. I'm at the 95 hour mark right now. Expecting a huge sense of accomplishment when I finally do beat this monster of a game.

I have Tales of Graces on it's way. Plan on starting that up after I finish Xenoblade. I keep hearing the story and characters is your typical "young goody goody kids saving the world." Not looking forward to that but I've never been disapointed in a Tales games.

#83 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

Not looking forward to that but I've never been disapointed in a Tales games.

You must not have have played Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Disappointing is probably the best word I could use to describe my feelings on that game.

sig.gif

#84 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:02 AM

Yeah, that was just bad. Legendia wasn't very good either. Pretty much every other one I've enjoyed so far, though I barely got started on F, I'm really really trying to finish one rpg at a time and right now it's Xenoblade.

#85 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

I liked Legendia. Has the best music and characters out of any of the Tales games.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#86 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

I'll respectfully disagree, for my money Vesperia is the best one I've played.

#87 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:10 AM

I liked Legendia. Has the best music and characters out of any of the Tales games.

I liked Legendia as well, and yes, the music is wonderful (liked it enough to buy the soundtrack). Not too crazy about the character designs, but the characters themselves were great.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#88 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

I liked Legendia as well, and yes, the music is wonderful (liked it enough to buy the soundtrack). Not too crazy about the character designs, but the characters themselves were great.

I'll third this. Fantastic OST and the characters were genuinely interesting, funny, and had fantastic chemistry between the entire group. Could be the low expectations I went into it with, but I really liked it.

Did not like the character quests (aka the second half of the game) but whatevs.

#89 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

You must not have have played Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Disappointing is probably the best word I could use to describe my feelings on that game.

How did I forgot about this? I guess I try and block it out of my memory, but you're right, it was beyond disappointing.

Also was Tales of Hearts considered a Tales game? Never played it but heard bad things about that too.

Never played Legendia either, but from what I hear it's one of the weaker titles, but don't hear people say the flat out hated it though.

#90 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

How did I forgot about this? I guess I try and block it out of my memory, but you're right, it was beyond disappointing.

Also was Tales of Hearts considered a Tales game? Never played it but heard bad things about that too.

Never played Legendia either, but from what I hear it's one of the weaker titles, still not a bad game though.

Hearts was never localized and I'd consider it a more main series title based on how the gameplay was. I don't recall it being terrible at all, but possibly sub-par for the series. Though I think there might have been a fan translation for it, I don't remember. As a note, I didn't actually play Hearts, only Innocence which I didn't play too far into. Maybe I should try going back to it.

You'll likely dislike the theme of Graces. However the gameplay is solid (although quite a bit different than you're used to) and the last bit of the game is probably the most fun.

Edited by Draekon, 12 June 2012 - 02:20 PM.