Why are we so similar?

Great minds think alike.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#993 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

My least favorite Final Fantasy game has always been 9; there may be other FFs that I don't like very much but 9 is the only one that bores me.

I really liked 9 up until the rather terrible ending, personally it reminded me of playing the classic FF games when I was a kid (namely the first 3 that America got), the designs and just the general feel of the game and story was a great throwback.

Worst FF game for me is probably a close battle between 3 and 12, both didn't have stories which interested me at all. FF3 was just kind of this awkward first attempt at the job system which was actually made interesting in FFV and FFT, and FF12 just kind of rubbed me the wrong way I guess it was like here's a big open world, but don't bother exploring it because there isn't anything worth finding, all the treasure (even super weapons) are totally random and you're probably just going to end up wandering somewhere you shouldn't have anyways, just stick to where they tell you to go and only where they tell you to go. In my opinion DQ8 did a much better job of having a world that felt open and it had treasure worth exploring for and limited where you could go to mostly ensure that you didn't wander someplace you shouldn't have.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#994 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

You tell me where to be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

I really liked 9 up until the rather terrible ending, personally it reminded me of playing the classic FF games when I was a kid (namely the first 3 that America got), the designs and just the general feel of the game and story was a great throwback.

This is kind of the problem I had with it; or at least this is what didn't work for me. It all felt so calculated and airless and stiff. It's pretty much the only game in the number series that doesn't have any of its own inspiration to be different and do its own thing, on its own terms (for better or worse). To me that just sucked all the fun out.

#995 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

Not praising 9, but have you tried 12?! The game auto-fights for you according to your macros, never have to press a button. The story is snooze boring, main character is null, the optional grinding is not fun, and I can't even remember who "the bad guy" was. People who like 12, must have never heard of or tried 11, hint: it's nearly the same game.

Actually, the macro system in 12 is probably one of the best I've ever seen. Well, other than you have to actually buy macro options, which kinda sucked. But it was nice actually having a macro system that actually worked and you didn't have to micromanage all that much. You also don't have to use if you don't need it.
Posted Image

#996 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:35 AM

Actually, the macro system in 12 is probably one of the best I've ever seen. Well, other than you have to actually buy macro options, which kinda sucked. But it was nice actually having a macro system that actually worked and you didn't have to micromanage all that much. You also don't have to use if you don't need it.

Yep, how can people complain about an option you can effectively turn off and aren't forced to use?

19 more backers and we get another level in the dungeon.

#997 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

Yep, how can people complain about an option you can effectively turn off and aren't forced to use?

19 more backers and we get another level in the dungeon.

Aaaaaand done.

Shit's gettin' deep, yo.

Posted Image

#998 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:46 AM

3.5 should practically be a done deal I would think.

#999 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

Yeah. 3.1 through kickstarter right now, and PayPal is edging up on 100,000 with two days to go.

I'm impressed. When they first started this, I thought they'd hit three million at the very end.

The documentary's a nice touch, too.

Posted Image

#1000 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

It would've been nice if, when turned off, it behaved like your traditional Final Fantasy system where, once a party member's turn comes up, said party member is automatically selected.

If it had done that one little thing, I would've had no beef with FFXII's system. As it was, it made it so that going Gambit-less wasn't a very appealing option.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#1001 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

You tell me where to be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

Yeah, while technically true that Gambits were optional, I wouldn't want to imagine playing with them completely turned off. The game was definitely built for them.

#1002 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

Funny that you ask... FF12 is my favorite in the series and probably my second favorite game of all time after Mass Effect 2. Guess it takes all kinds. :lol:

You are the exact opposite of me, I can see that 9 was a little too calculating, but 12 was a train wreck for me. The characters weren't really fleshed out (or just sickening in the case of Penelo), the license board was unrewarding, and the summons in the game were useless, even the hidden ones.
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#1003 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

I too love 9 as a throwback until the terrible ending. I've played disks 1 and 2 numerous times, but always stop partway through disk 3 because it just goes weird and I stop caring.

12 really rubbed me the wrong way at first, but eventually I got addicted to finding the optimal setup for my Gambits and just feeling badass for being able to steam roll enemies with tactics I devised. I also really liked the more political story (same reason I enjoyed Tactic's story), as it was a nice change of pace. The characters could use some work, but Balthier just stole the show so I didn't really care about the others being less interesting.

Think I'm gonna give Baten Kaitos Origins another chance. If it doesn't pick up soon though it's getting set aside for good though.
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#1004 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

You tell me where to be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

eventually I got addicted to finding the optimal setup for my Gambits and just feeling badass for being able to steam roll enemies with tactics I devised.

That's how I felt, there was just a special joy in setting up your Gambits so you could just steer the party from fight to fight and watch them take the enemies apart. I also thought the cast was pretty great for a Final Fantasy game apart from Vaan who is as bland and stupid as everyone says. Basch and Balthier are all time great FF characters IMO. Outstanding English voice work all around too.

#1005 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

I loved the gameplay in 12 but I didn't like the story at all. It was both confusing and totally forgettable for me. It also felt like it ended totally abruptly.

That said, I really enjoyed 12 overall. I used gambits to keep my buffs going the way I wanted, and then selected spells by hand for my magic users. Worked great.

#1006 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

I really liked the political aspects of 12 more than most of the other FF stories. 12 is definitely up there as my favorite along with 6.

fs_overall.png

#1007 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

Chris Avellone on Knights of the Old Republic 2:

The issues with K2 are my fault, and no one else's. Looking back, I would have taken more care to focus on the elements of the game that mattered the most: the story and characters, and removed the mini-games, for example (those were a waste of time) and also cast away many of the cut scenes (they cost too much time to do technically, despite how much we liked them).
I also would have downscoped the cast and done what we've done on titles after that - made a smaller, more reactive cast and kept the central character pillars (Kreia, Atton, Mira, Visas Marr). I would have kept T3-M4, regardless.

But my heart still blames Lucasarts, of course.

Posted Image

#1008 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Wait a minute here...

Mira was a central character?

#1009 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

That's how I felt, there was just a special joy in setting up your Gambits so you could just steer the party from fight to fight and watch them take the enemies apart. I also thought the cast was pretty great for a Final Fantasy game apart from Vaan who is as bland and stupid as everyone says. Basch and Balthier are all time great FF characters IMO. Outstanding English voice work all around too.

Basch, IMO, is one of the better FF characters. I like the whole thread of seeking redemption with him.

I really liked the political aspects of 12 more than most of the other FF stories. 12 is definitely up there as my favorite along with 6.

I also like the political plot as a change-of-pace from the usual.
Posted Image

#1010 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Wait a minute here...

Mira was a central character?

Yeah, I'll admit that Mira is an odd choice over, say, the Handmaiden.

I'm assuming that 1: in Chris Avellone's dream world, Mira's role would be expanded. I remember reading an interview about Planescape Torment where Avellone (I think) said that Ignus was one of his favourite characters even though he's widely regarded as the worst companion. Avellone (or whoever the Fuck the interview was with) said that there was a lot of cut content for Ignus, who was supposed to have a much greater role in the game. And 2: Mira was chosen specifically because of how readily she becomes a pupil of the Exile over all the other characters.

Posted Image

#1011 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Gabranth's confrontation at the tower was like, dramatic perfection. Not even Vaan could ruin it, and oh did he try.

#1012 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

But my heart still blames Lucasarts, of course.

Same. I loved the KOTOR series and its a shame there wasn't a true continuation of the universe. They could pull a Mass Effect-esque consequence system from the KOTOR 2 to my imagined sequel. That kind of choice system would fit perfectly with the universe.

fs_overall.png

#1013 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Apparently there was some book that made a proper KotOR 3 irrelevant or some shit.

I've also heard it was pretty crap, but that's my automatic assumption about any book based on a movie or game, anyway.

Posted Image

#1014 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

you mean you aren't into the rich lore of starcraft?

#1015 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Actually, those books would probably be an improvement.

Hard to write anything worse than Wings of Liberty.

Posted Image

#1016 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

Well, Crotch... Project Eternity might actually make the 3.5m mark at the rate they're going.

#1017 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

They've got at least $100,000 in PayPal funds as well right now, but some of that will go towards covering failed payments from the kickstarter itself.

Regardless, I can't see them not making 3.5.

Posted Image

#1018 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Only 140 more backers for a new level in the dungeon, woot!

#1019 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

Josh Sawyer: "oh god base attack bonus how did i get here i am not good with 3.x anymore"

Posted Image

#1020 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

DnD doesn't really work as a spectator sport, does it?