RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1162 replies to this topic

#1111 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

Sounds like a problem with the widescreen mod. Make a backup of torment .exe then run this patch.

Posted Image

#1112 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

Omoikane? The new design looks all right.

Raphael? NOO, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY BISHIE ANGEL DEMON PERSONA?!

As for the new demon additions, Kouga Saburou looks pretty good.

Agree about Raphael, but mainly because his chest plate reminds me of the Batmobile.
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#1113 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

Agree about Raphael, but mainly because his chest plate reminds me of the Batmobile.

It has me wondering if any of the other angelic-looking demons (Principality, Michael, etc.) are getting redesigns...
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: The Official PAX Prime (and possibly East) 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#1114 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

It has me wondering if any of the other angelic-looking demons (Principality, Michael, etc.) are getting redesigns...

Man I hope not, Principality has a fantastic design.
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#1115 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

Finally found Pharod and he sends me on a fetch quest :oldman:

UjCoyFa.png

#1116 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Get that sphere, berk.

Also, what's your character build? Did you do all the Hive quests? Did you change class?

Posted Image

#1117 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

http://www.joystiq.c...aditional-rpgs/

Kickstarting (and not Greenlighting) traditional RPGs

The rise of indie gaming has been fantastic for platformers, good for adventures and strategy games, great for puzzlers, but not exactly a windfall for role-playing games. There are certainly some out there, but RPGs don't have the level of variety that the genres I listed above do.

We can see how this manifests thanks to the rise of crowdsourced, publicized successes and failures. Two of these have garnered a great deal of attention so far this year: Kickstarter (and other similar ventures, like Indiegogo) and Steam's Greenlight. The former has had plenty of press, and this writer is certainly excited to see the end results of Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity, as well as Shaker (when it comes back) and the currently-campaigning pseudo-sequel to the Quest For Glory games, Hero U: Rogue To Redemption. But these high-profile funding campaigns are notable because of their profile – they're RPGs made by people with expertise and previous success in the genre. It's rare (but certainly not unheard of) to see this kind of single-player, epic, story-driven quest outside of blockbuster games.

A glance at Steam's Greenlight starts to reveal why. Of the roughly 30 games that have been "greenlit" so far, 13 claim to be RPGs. I decided to take a look at them in order to see what sort of RPGs were winning the crowd over. For a traditional RPG fan, the results are not encouraging – only one of the games actually seems to be about making a character or party, then going on a quest.

The biggest immediate problem with the "RPG" category is that most of the games aren't really RPGs by most conventional definitions of the term. Half of them are complex builder simulation/strategy/adventure/maybe-RPG? sorts of games, clearly inspired by Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress. I'm fond of this genre of game, to be fair, but a lot of it seems like Steam users really, really want Minecraft on the platform, and anything that looks likely to scratch that itch gets votes. And given the difficulty in assigning conventional genres to these sandbox/open world-style games, RPG seems as good or bad a category as any to assign them to.

Thought I would share this here.

Edited by cindersphere, 30 October 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#1118 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

Panzerbro, update. Dead Nations? Many-As-One? The decanter? The sphere? The tomb?

You know which tomb. That tomb.

Posted Image

#1119 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

I can't stop thinking that Suikoden V plays more like a PS1 JRPG than a PS2 one. Also, the constant loading screens are ridiculous.

BTW, I accidentally didn't get the item from beating
Spoiler
since my inventory was full and I somehow went past the "discard" bit without exchanging it. It was some kind of Rune, right? What was it? Half the Runes I've come across so far have been effect-related ones that aren't that appealing, so I hope it was one of those...

ETA: Oh yeah, and one of my people
Spoiler

Edited by blueshinra, 31 October 2012 - 05:20 AM.

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: The Official PAX Prime (and possibly East) 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#1120 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWWBDt2Bjlg

Spoiler

Posted Image

#1121 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

I can't stop thinking that Suikoden V plays more like a PS1 JRPG than a PS2 one.

That's not a bad thing, it's a return to form.

#1122 Indignate

Indignate

☽Scinon☾

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Old School RPG

#1123 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

That's not a bad thing, it's a return to form.

It's not what I expect for a PS2 game though, especially one released when it was. You can tell Konami doesn't keep up with trends in the genre.

The cursor memory during battles and boat/teleport system (where you have to go back to your base before anywhere else) are pretty appalling time-wasters for a game of this vintage.

Anyway, no one can answer my question about what Rune I missed? I'd look it up myself but am afraid of being spoiled for future parts of the game (it's happened before).
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#1124 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

After Suikoden IV was pretty much hated by fans I see V as giving the fans what they wanted in a Suikoden game. It's been a while since I played it, sorry I cant answer your question.

#1125 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Anyway, no one can answer my question about what Rune I missed? I'd look it up myself but am afraid of being spoiled for future parts of the game (it's happened before).

Think it's Rage Sword Orb:

Rage Sword Rune
Level 1-Sword of Rage (Weapon Element becomes Fire 1.1x Damage)
Level 2-Fire Guard (Greater resistance/protection to Fire in Battle)
Level 3-True Rage (Weapon Element becomes Fire 1.2x Damage
Level 4-N/A

#1126 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

After all of this time, I finally finished Persona 3. 136 hours over about 6 years. One down, many more to go...
Posted Image

#1127 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

Think it's Rage Sword Orb:

Rage Sword Rune
Level 1-Sword of Rage (Weapon Element becomes Fire 1.1x Damage)
Level 2-Fire Guard (Greater resistance/protection to Fire in Battle)
Level 3-True Rage (Weapon Element becomes Fire 1.2x Damage
Level 4-N/A

Thanks; that sounds about right. I do remember it being something that started with "R", and three words long.

Currently at the Dwarf Village again,
Spoiler

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#1128 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

After all of this time, I finally finished Persona 3. 136 hours over about 6 years. One down, many more to go...

One of those back burner games. I've had them before.

#1129 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

i don't remember anything about Suikoden V feeling dated in terms of interface...

then again i prefer older games anyway.
Every day's great at your Junes!

#1130 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

Congrats, now time for Persona 4, you have just enough time to finish it before SMT 4 comes out if you try.

#1131 zionoverfire

zionoverfire

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

I can't stop thinking that Suikoden V plays more like a PS1 JRPG than a PS2 one. Also, the constant loading screens are ridiculous.

BTW, I accidentally didn't get the item from beating

Spoiler
since my inventory was full and I somehow went past the "discard" bit without exchanging it. It was some kind of Rune, right? What was it? Half the Runes I've come across so far have been effect-related ones that aren't that appealing, so I hope it was one of those...

ETA: Oh yeah, and one of my people
Spoiler

They did minimize a lot of potential in Suikoden V in an attempt to make something more like 1 and 2. On the plus side the game felt a bit more balanced to me than any other Suikoden I've played.

#1132 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

They did minimize a lot of potential in Suikoden V in an attempt to make something more like 1 and 2. On the plus side the game felt a bit more balanced to me than any other Suikoden I've played.

Guess that explains it.

As for balance, it felt like the difficulty curve ramped up somewhere in the middle, but other than that, it's been fine.

Currently near the end of the game, I think. My next RPG will most likely be Tales of the Abyss.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#1133 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Wonder if Yggdra Union gets more interesting. So far, about 3 hours in it's all just about lining up my three characters in a Plus or Cross formation. That's it. Appearently the game keeps stuff locked (like your card's abilities) until later on.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#1134 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Wonder if Yggdra Union gets more interesting. So far, about 3 hours in it's all just about lining up my three characters in a Plus or Cross formation. That's it. Appearently the game keeps stuff locked (like your card's abilities) until later on.

Well, depends. It gets much harder, but not much more interesting. And more characters, and more formation strategies. I don't remember what the cards did though.

#1135 raiden_86

raiden_86

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

debating on P3 or Tales of the Abyss next. Really been liking the SMT games, but I haven't played a Tales game since Destiny on PS1 so I think I need to get on that.

#1136 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

debating on P3 or Tales of the Abyss next. Really been liking the SMT games, but I haven't played a Tales game since Destiny on PS1 so I think I need to get on that.

Well, P3 was wonderful, and I haven't opened my copy of Abyss yet. That's the problem with a huge backlog of PS2 JRPGs.
Posted Image

#1137 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

I only have four PS2 games left in my backlog: Sakura Wars, Persona 4, Tales of the Abyss, and Valkyrie Profile 2. Debating on getting rid of that last one (it's still sealed) since I never played the first game and hear this sequel has a lot of references to it that one should be aware of. Hrm...

Oh, and I beat Suikoden V today.
Spoiler

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#1138 Indignate

Indignate

☽Scinon☾

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

My PS2 backlog sets at a even 30 because I never touch it, but I do have every game that I could ever want for that system, save for Sakura Wars.

And you should play VP. You can get it real cheap on the psp. The port is inferior to the PS version, but it's better than nothing.

#1139 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

I don't have a PSP, though :-|
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#1140 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

Future prediction time up ins: am I going to buy a 3DS for the Fire Emblem 11?

Posted Image